Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lazyfire posted:

The new company-wide policy requires a three week approval period and the VICE PRESIDENT of your division has final say.

Biplane posted:

Sounds like a good time to step back and do the absolute barebones minimum!

This all the way. Malicious compliance all the way: Apply for trip, get approval after trip was scheduled. Apply for trip etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

There’s a squirrel attacking people in my work’s parking lot.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Will you fight? Or will you perish like a dog?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Perish, definitely perish.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skipping work to go in the parking lot, bare-chested and holding my ancestral espada ropera. Come inside, before someone sees you says a coworker. Fools, I have honor, and I will meet this squirrel without fear.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Stories about doing raps and learning dances jogged this memory free. We were told to come up with a team skit for the new fiscal kickoff event. My boss decided we would learn the dance from Remeber the Titans: https://youtu.be/betOQUfraN8.

Since I was getting paid either way I went along with it. Two teammates that refused were eventually written up by our boss. One quit and the other tried to meet the PIP goals until she fired him.

Skit thing reminded me of the dumbest thing I've ever been subjected to at work. One of our divisions has this big symposium that has something like 90% of the employees go to. They charter buses for the more remote branches of this. Its a big deal.
The corporate holding company staff will show up for part of it to, and one year, someone thought "Hey, lets involve IT." Of course the manager of IT was a massive tool and was excited. We were told to make a skit about what we did, or about our area. So, boss of our group brings in his cheap Handicam, has people come up with things, and we do something like Nick Burns Company Computer Guy thing. Its beyond bad. Even worse, the person who makes the video never actually figured out how video editors worked, and massively hosed up the audio, so its 2-3 seconds behind. He also never asked anyone how to fix it.
So, day of symposium, everyone meets at this big event center in town. Roughly 60% of the attendees are hung over. There is a thermos of hot chocolate being passed around that is easily 50% schnapps.
After a few speeches, and a couple of awards, they roll through the videos. Most are various levels of bad you'd except. They get to the one our group did, audio is still off, and the room is SILENT during it. Not even a polite clap at the end. 2nd IT group does theirs, theirs is just a quick thing about what they do, but has the advantage of having the person doing the talking in there have charisma, and do a fun thing with someone in the background peeking out of a shred bin in every scene.
The next year, we are not asked to participate in this again, and are even told that honestly, we don't even need to show up. The only copy of this video is destroyed and no one has talked about it since.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Skipping work to go in the parking lot, bare-chested and holding my ancestral espada ropera. Come inside, before someone sees you says a coworker. Fools, I have honor, and I will meet this squirrel without fear.

Your relief drives up, accidentally squishing the squirrel.

"Hey! What's up? Why are you dressed like that?"

In my work news, what I thought would happen actually having a store manager is... kinda happening. I have nothing bad to say about the SM, they are coming into a unique situation within the company and they're really trying to come to grips with that vs. their training. All the work that has been un-done is getting done, but kind of in a hurry, without regard to why things are different in our location. I understand what and why corporate wants things done, but we are working backwards a bit for now.

B., who I've mentioned before, continues not to get it.
Yesterday I was tasked with a very specific job to do which involved going everywhere in our (very small) location. In the mean time, B. managed to piss a customer off enough that they called me to the front to help the customer, to let me hear all about it.

"I can't imagine working with someone like that. gently caress B. Hey! Thank you!. I need to [$300 transaction]."

"Not a problem :). Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"If you're here in the future, I'll come find you to help me."

"Ooo-k! Have a good'un!"

Today, one of our more methed-out customers came in and didn't actually act all that weird. What they said to B. was funny as gently caress though.

"Oh, Hon', you are God's gift to man. I only wish you liked [people of my race], because I'd be right at your door! I'd spray paint myself [color of skin] just to get in your good graces!"

"Whaaat?! You're too kind. Too much."

"Yeah, I mean the manager at this other store is racist as gently caress!"

"You're too right. I've heard that!"

I couldn't. Customer walked right past me with a wink and I almost lost it. Blind incomprehension at what they were talking about, right to B.'s face.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barudak posted:

In the hallway outside my office watching Barudak suplexing a squirrel. His toupee slips off.

Megumi-gawa.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Stories about doing raps and learning dances jogged this memory free. We were told to come up with a team skit for the new fiscal kickoff event. My boss decided we would learn the dance from Remeber the Titans: https://youtu.be/betOQUfraN8.

Since I was getting paid either way I went along with it. Two teammates that refused were eventually written up by our boss. One quit and the other tried to meet the PIP goals until she fired him.

About 10 years ago my manager wanted to do something like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuRWRqpQXQ
I don't even think we got past what song to use for it, the germans in the team wanted a death metal one from what I remember, but the boss wanted a generic pop song that none of us wanted to be seen dead lip syncing to.
Can't remember the songs, but the boss did a 'test' of just himself to show us how it would go, but after we just went hell no, not going to happen.
He was in such a huff for months.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Lazyfire posted:

We just had an all-hands for Supply Chain to kick off a massive reorg that's going to be...interesting for most areas. We're about to watch people who were previously purchasing machined parts for Singapore become responsible for electronics going to Phoenix. Being in special projects keeps me from having to get moved around which is great because I haven't spent three months at a time with a single manager in the last year and could use some stability.

The funniest drat thing they did was put out an FAQ where one of the questions was "With many of us already overwhelmed will this change see an increase in headcount so we can offload some of our responsibilities?" and the response was a paragraph about how current financial climate being less than ideal for adding people and how we are hoping the reorg will make everything better without adding people. Problem is that the company announced our second quarter results yesterday and our profits were up 36% over last year. We're doing better than our 2019 numbers and have several programs/customers looking to ramp up past that in the next year. Since 2021 we've had a new compliance regime get dropped on us that effectively doubles the time it takes to create a purchase order and in a sane world we would have a fleet of new grads coming in and taking that from us and moving into purchasing roles as they opened up. Instead, we're doing a week of legwork for five minutes of processing and are then responsible for monitoring every step in the production of the parts.

Also rolling out this week is the new travel policy. It used to be that you could apply to travel to a supplier or customer the week before you left and outside of international trips just your supervisor would need to approve. The new company-wide policy requires a three week approval period and the VICE PRESIDENT of your division has final say. We're an aerospace company with customers and vendors all over the world, you could be based in Minnesota and be responsible for vendors in California that you visited every quarter shipping parts to Spain and France at places you would go to once a year. Occasionally, you would need to get on a plane with less than 24 hours notice to deal with a crisis. Yeah, go gently caress yourself if you think that's happening anytime soon. As much as we all learned to rely on Zoom and emails over the last few years sometimes you just NEED to see a vendor or a customer site to fully understand their capacity and bottlenecks. It'll be interesting to see how long this lasts. My wife is pissed because she only just got back to visiting customers and vendors this month and the company has effectively put us back into COVID travel policies, emergency situations only. All to make sure the shareholders get an extra quarter cent per quarter.

Seeing what our supply chain deals with in our aerospace company makes me glad I’m but a lowly tech in a department no one knows much about.

There’s a good chance we get acquired by someone else since our parent company got themselves in too much debt, so while that could be fun it could also be a poo poo time to be here

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ya know..........i don't think i'll tuck my shirt in for the interview, for anything listed hourly. i buy expensive clothes at least.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

In the meantime, I need to find out who:

-Used a toaster that's specifically designated for toasting wood chips for casks for their sandwiches
-Stole an extension cord I regularly use to do it
-Set the toaster on top of buckets full of parts for sour beers in a way that can easily contaminate them
-Used said toaster two loving feet away from multiple bags of malt and stacks of paper in the most fire-prone way possible
-Left said toaster plugged in just to make sure the fire hazard didn't go away

In a factory I used to work at we had a dude who would bring in a camping stove to cook his lunch right in front of the production machines. Very much against health codes and company policy. When they wrote him up, he switched to cooking his lunch in the ovens that were used to heat the production molds. When they tried to fire him for this, he found a loophole in the union contract wherein he confessed to being a coke addict and they had to let him go to rehab instead of firing him. We only drug tested pre-employment and post-injury, so he went right back to snorting coke after he returned to work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Machai posted:

In a factory I used to work at we had a dude who would bring in a camping stove to cook his lunch right in front of the production machines. Very much against health codes and company policy. When they wrote him up, he switched to cooking his lunch in the ovens that were used to heat the production molds. When they tried to fire him for this, he found a loophole in the union contract wherein he confessed to being a coke addict and they had to let him go to rehab instead of firing him. We only drug tested pre-employment and post-injury, so he went right back to snorting coke after he returned to work.

How is it the most unbelievably useless, willfully negligent, actively unproductive people can skate through life without consequence, but diligent, conscientious workers are hosed on a constant, ongoing basis?

It's because the latter spend all their energy trying to be productive while the former spend all their energy on self preservation and loving everyone around them over.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Wish I had learned that lesson 20 years ago: never work hard, never try to help, always gently caress over your coworkers if it will benefit yourself

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Machai posted:

dudes rock

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

After leaving my old job (I loved the actual work, owner is a monster) I finally got hired at the place I wanted to get hired at. More money, full benefits and no missing paychecks.

And then at the same time I find out my old workplace, on the fast track towards financial implosion, recently got a money injection because I created a product for them while I was there and it got them an OEM deal. So they are flush again. Lol.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Biplane posted:

Wish I had learned that lesson 20 years ago: never work hard, never try to help, always gently caress over your coworkers if it will benefit yourself

First day at my job (I've been here 12 years now) some guy told me the key to success here is:

Never be first, never be last, never volunteer.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

manpurse posted:

First day at my job (I've been here 12 years now) some guy told me the key to success here is:

That's been the rule in any army, ever.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

After leaving my old job (I loved the actual work, owner is a monster) I finally got hired at the place I wanted to get hired at. More money, full benefits and no missing paychecks.

And then at the same time I find out my old workplace, on the fast track towards financial implosion, recently got a money injection because I created a product for them while I was there and it got them an OEM deal. So they are flush again. Lol.

They wouldn't have paid or thanked you, even if you were still there.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Oh.. they'll figure out how to gently caress it up

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Outrail posted:

How is it the most unbelievably useless, willfully negligent, actively unproductive people can skate through life without consequence, but diligent, conscientious workers are hosed on a constant, ongoing basis?

It's because the latter spend all their energy trying to be productive while the former spend all their energy on self preservation and loving everyone around them over.

He was pretty good at his actual job, he just also really liked snorting coke off the clock and cooking food near his workstation.

We had worse dudes, both drugs-wise and bad at job-wise.

One of the guys that trained me dealt crack on the side and lived in a trap house. Before I knew all that stuff, I made the mistake of showing up for a cookout, and there were prostitutes there.

There was another guy that started the same day as me that ended up getting his fork truck license and then had it revoked within 2 months because he kept hitting stuff. Final straw was when he took out one of the cement barriers that separated the pedestrian walkway from the fork truck lanes. He was, unsurprisingly, a terrible driver, even by MA standards.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Outrail posted:

its because capitalist societies are loving cowardly dishonorable enterprises

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

manpurse posted:

Ah, the conscript creed.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

That's been the rule in any army, ever.

I work for a utility company.....

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oof they just blindsided my wife with a “Congratulations! We recognize your hard work and dedication and see how you step up and all your value. We are pleased to announce you’ll be salary!” The way it was framed was super condescending like hourly workers are pieces of poo poo and she isn’t one now.

She doesn’t work a lot of overtime but does have a semi erratic schedule since she’s an event manager for the city. A position that kinda requires you to be flexible and work overtime and after hours occasionally. This also kneecaps her ability to get comp time which was probably the biggest benefit since the city kinda sucks with PTO.

She’s loving pissed.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Machai posted:

He was pretty good at his actual job, he just also really liked snorting coke off the clock and cooking food near his workstation.

One of the guys that trained me dealt crack on the side and lived in a trap house. Before I knew all that stuff, I made the mistake of showing up for a cookout, and there were prostitutes there.

So... you had a good time, right?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oof they just blindsided my wife with a “Congratulations! We recognize your hard work and dedication and see how you step up and all your value. We are pleased to announce you’ll be salary!” The way it was framed was super condescending like hourly workers are pieces of poo poo and she isn’t one now.

She doesn’t work a lot of overtime but does have a semi erratic schedule since she’s an event manager for the city. A position that kinda requires you to be flexible and work overtime and after hours occasionally. This also kneecaps her ability to get comp time which was probably the biggest benefit since the city kinda sucks with PTO.

She’s loving pissed.

The "Congratulations!" was for themselves, not your wife, for the overtime reasons you just described.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Machai posted:

There was another guy that started the same day as me that ended up getting his fork truck license and then had it revoked within 2 months because he kept hitting stuff. Final straw was when he took out one of the cement barriers that separated the pedestrian walkway from the fork truck lanes. He was, unsurprisingly, a terrible driver, even by MA standards.

Sex workers can eat at cookouts too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Machai posted:

*sits in chair backwards*

But you know who else ate at a cookout with prostitutes?

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The HR guy who was here when I got hired showed us the Sexual Harassment Panda clip from South Park as part of our sexual harassment training, and insisted on using me and another employee in every example.

Also he was sexually harassing someone at work the entire time.

lol your HR guy shipped you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Me?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

manpurse posted:

When I worked at a gas station an old timer told me if I saw a low speed collision about to occur, to turn away to avoid being a witness so wouldn’t have to go to court. Dunno if that was true as it never came up but he’d been around a while and I guess wasn’t a fan of being looped into civil suits.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

About 10 years ago my manager wanted to do something like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuRWRqpQXQ
I don't even think we got past what song to use for it, the germans in the team wanted a death metal one from what I remember, but the boss wanted a generic pop song that none of us wanted to be seen dead lip syncing to.
Can't remember the songs, but the boss did a 'test' of just himself to show us how it would go, but after we just went hell no, not going to happen.
He was in such a huff for months.

Cowards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEWVwgDnuzE

manpurse posted:

My personal Job Words to Live By:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to say too much and remove all doubt.

My work is usually pretty good about things, just general business org tomfoolery rarely anything thread-worthy. Today got close tho.

One of our big drives this year is to stop burning so many cycles giving free extended support to product versions that should no longer be eligible for help tickets. We got new call templates and everything about what to say and what steps to take when refusing service for old stuff. Yesterday (Thursday) a customer opened a case for support for a software version that went out of support in 2017 :stonk: The agent who initially got the case immediately informed them they were well out of support and closed the case, in some cases directly copy/pasting the wording we got from our managers about how to handle cases for unsupported stuff. Customer bitches to Sales. Sales bitches to Management. Management folds like wet paper and hands me the case at 5:30 on a Friday afternoon :negative: My shift goes until 8 so this isn't ~that~ terrible, but still a bit disappointed at my boss' boss' jello spine.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Atopian posted:

They wouldn't have paid or thanked you, even if you were still there.

Yeah they were upfront that they owned everything I did there. I probably signed the worst employment contract in human history just because I wanted to work at this "special" place. I didn't know how special it was.

tater_salad posted:

Oh.. they'll figure out how to gently caress it up

Of this there is no doubt.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Dumb poo poo my work does: dumping a hotfix into my lap and expecting me to fix it without why instructions on reproducing it. I remember the last time this happened, it took a month of fiddling before I had to give up...so I refused to work on this one until support could reproduce it.

It's been sitting in the queue for a month straight, my manager getting ever more antsy. Last Friday, one of the senior support persons was able to reproduce it in an hour, and I had a fix ready in 15 minutes after that.

:smug: nobody will learn anything from this

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

skooma512 posted:

I’m fairly sure Jesus did.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Presenting an education session on a new feature. Except it doesn't exist because management got involved and delayed it for 3 months to add features. We don't know what features either because the client refuses to approve any new designs until their PM comes back from PTO in two weeks. And we can't possibly deploy anything until December.

Should be a short presentation.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Killingyouguy! posted:

We once had some low level employees complain to hr about workplace harassment from a manager and hr brought in a ton of lawyers specifically to prove that the manager was not doing any workplace harassment (he totally was but the lawyers declared it did not meet the legal definition of harassment)

These employees fundamentally misunderstand the point of HR if they expected any other result.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
most people dont understand that hr's function is to protect the company at all costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Zopotantor posted:

I’m fairly sure Jesus did.

I'm really wondering who you think they meant. like, "you know who else ate at cookouts with prostitutes? that's right, hitler." ?