Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

sounds like it's time to start organizing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

yeah it’s the exact same monkey cheese you’d find on newgrounds 20 years ago

monkey cheese dick

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Eeyo posted:

sounds like it's time to start organizing

babies rise up

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol my 14yo is dying his hair blonde tonight. he’s got a very short haircut. eminem style

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

is his name stan

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

make him some spaghetti

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Turns out parents aren't empirically designed to be as addictive as possible.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
took the week off of work and today i’m on primary kid duty while my wife tries to get some diy stuff done in the bathroom. it’s only lunch time and so far the dog threw up and my son pooped all over the play room. excited to see what adventures this afternoon has in store

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

oh god my wife put YouTube on because our daughter and her cousin wanted to watch songs and now I have to explain pregnant elsa spiderman videos to her family as a reason why you should absolutely not do that unsupervised

also because this is gonna gently caress up my recommends again

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh god my wife put YouTube on because our daughter and her cousin wanted to watch songs and now I have to explain pregnant elsa spiderman videos to her family as a reason why you should absolutely not do that unsupervised

:rip:

plex has been a godsend for controlling the media my kids watch. they can’t grab the clicker and put cocomelon on if cocomelon isn’t an option :smug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

does youtube not have a user profile switcher thing? seems like it would be useful to switch your kids into kids mode and then require a passcode to switch to a parent/not-kid profile

Also it seems to be they could give you a way to pre-approve certain videos or channels for your kids instead of letting your kids go down a recommendations rabbit hole

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

does youtube not have a user profile switcher thing? seems like it would be useful to switch your kids into kids mode and then require a passcode to switch to a parent/not-kid profile

Also it seems to be they could give you a way to pre-approve certain videos or channels for your kids instead of letting your kids go down a recommendations rabbit hole

it does but she didn't use it. "It's too late I already typed the search!" :rolleyes:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rip

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

:hai:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Turns out the incel-making machine is also bad for little kids.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

:rip:

plex has been a godsend for controlling the media my kids watch. they can’t grab the clicker and put cocomelon on if cocomelon isn’t an option :smug:

big same. whatever youtube-dl front end i use into plex kinda sucks (no titles or anything) but it gets LJ his dance videos with no ads and no pregnant spideman tooth extraction so it's a big win imo

i do wish it had titles and stuff though, cause i put a bunch of good PBS stuff in there too but it's basically undiscoverable. y'all lmk if there's a good youtube-in-plex or other allowlisted-channels-only solution that is ad free

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
theres nothing good even on youtube kids its all trash. use pbs kids or disney plus or linux isos.

i downloaded a bunch of old rear end kids shows i liked from my childhood and wow is this what good programming was? i forgot already. there are some modern standouts (e.g. bluey) but my toddlers new favorite is animaniacs, i was expecting it to be for when she was older but :shrug: its like og youtube poop but with actual writing and production. also tons of sing songing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

theres nothing good even on youtube kids its all trash. use pbs kids or disney plus or linux isos.

i downloaded a bunch of old rear end kids shows i liked from my childhood and wow is this what good programming was? i forgot already. there are some modern standouts (e.g. bluey) but my toddlers new favorite is animaniacs, i was expecting it to be for when she was older but :shrug: its like og youtube poop but with actual writing and production. also tons of sing songing

lol yeah same

I got dexters lab, powerpuff girls, chip n dale rescue rangers, and the magic school bus for them for old shows to supplement bluey, gabby’s dollhouse, and blues clues

bunch of old movies too, like we’re back or Balto to go with the Disney movies that are largely all good

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Turns out the incel-making machine is also bad for little kids.

that's a rude way to refer to PTH's wife

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

big same. whatever youtube-dl front end i use into plex kinda sucks (no titles or anything) but it gets LJ his dance videos with no ads and no pregnant spideman tooth extraction so it's a big win imo

i do wish it had titles and stuff though, cause i put a bunch of good PBS stuff in there too but it's basically undiscoverable. y'all lmk if there's a good youtube-in-plex or other allowlisted-channels-only solution that is ad free

sonarr and linux isos

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there's tons of good content on youtube imo. acollierastro, pbs, gonoodle, all that stuff. the problem is being able to restrict to only approved stuff, and not having ads. youtube premium is not an option for us, i just really don't want to do that.

maybe the pbs kids app has all that stuff though, i'll check it out

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

maybe the pbs kids app has all that stuff though, i'll check it out

idk what the overlap is between yt but the app is good

also good call on balto i need to watch that

the og alice in wonderland is the best movie, i think the acid trip visuals really appeal to children. i guess go figure but still

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

sonarr and linux isos

i already have that all set up. you're not answering the questions i'm actually asking, which is about the specific shorts that are on the PBS youtube channels. the pbs app has all the shows and stuff, but those aren't what i'm talking about.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

we even have Disney+, after I pointed out the folley of involving YouTube at all it did get switched to that and a lesson was learned without having to subject the visiting in laws to pregnant elsa tooth extraction to prove my point

VikingofRock posted:

that's a rude way to refer to PTH's wife

"she so good she makes other guys into incels" nearly works I think?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

speaking of old kids shows, i wonder how bill nye the science guy holds up. i loved that when i was younger, probably what got me into science.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
YouTube Kids lets you allowlist and has no ads (maybe only if you have YT Premium?)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Eeyo posted:

speaking of old kids shows, i wonder how bill nye the science guy holds up. i loved that when i was younger, probably what got me into science.

i bought a season of it on amazon a few years ago to show it to our son when he was maybe 9 years old and it didn't hold his interest too well

it kind of went sideways right from the jump because its 480i tv from the 90s and he was like "this looks so old"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

youtube kids lets you do this but it's loving garbage and half the stuff i approved doesn't show up at all. also there's ads.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah. the thing i use is tubesync and it downloads metadata and saves it (and thumbnails) in separate files but apparently you can't get plex to just use those?? i've been looking off and on for like a year and the best suggestion i've found is "oh just re-encode everything as mp4 and embed the metadata". yeah sure let me do that to the 400gb of 'tubes i got sitting here, seems like a great use of my time. gently caress off.

i bet you could make a scanner or whatever do read in those files (and frankly i'm shocked i haven't found one yet) but i can't find any documentation around HOW to do that.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

i bought a season of it on amazon a few years ago to show it to our son when he was maybe 9 years old and it didn't hold his interest too well

it kind of went sideways right from the jump because its 480i tv from the 90s and he was like "this looks so old"

i was gonna try beakman's world with my kid but she'd probably be the same way. animaniacs is the only older show she's liked so far.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah. the thing i use is tubesync and it downloads metadata and saves it (and thumbnails) in separate files but apparently you can't get plex to just use those?? i've been looking off and on for like a year and the best suggestion i've found is "oh just re-encode everything as mp4 and embed the metadata". yeah sure let me do that to the 400gb of 'tubes i got sitting here, seems like a great use of my time. gently caress off.

i bet you could make a scanner or whatever do read in those files (and frankly i'm shocked i haven't found one yet) but i can't find any documentation around HOW to do that.

lol word i think we're in the same boat. "this should be easy but gently caress if i'm gonna spend my free time on it." i think you're the one who recommended tubesync, too (which i very much appreciate, having some dance videos has made LJs summer go notably better)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

i was gonna try beakman's world with my kid but she'd probably be the same way. animaniacs is the only older show she's liked so far.

powerpuff girls is available in 1080p and my kids are obsessed

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

LJ liked pinky and the brain but all the weirdo 90s political jokes really brought it down

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Achmed Jones posted:

LJ liked pinky and the brain but all the weirdo 90s political jokes really brought it down

bet those bill clinton jokes will absolutely slay on the playground tho

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Eeyo posted:

i saw bill nye give a live show a few weeks ago and i suspect that the show holds up better than the guy did. i don't think he's a bad guy or anything but there was a big applause line about how important it is to vote

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

vote! vote! vote! vote! vote!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the old theme song still slaps tho

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

that's true. i would also like to know more about the deep-voiced guy who is always telling bill to calm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i watched some of his netflix stuff and it didn’t do a whole lot for me. it was aimed at adults of course, but then they’d like throw in a vibrations heal you guy on their debate panel at the end and poo poo like that.

yeah yeah vote lol, but definitely vote for your school bonds and poo poo. our district managed to get one through and they’ll fix up a bunch of broken poo poo at the school which is good. it was a tiny midterm local election too so you gotta check those sometimes.

they’ll also install “security vestibules” at the entrances, which lmao.