Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Seemlar posted:

A clip probably couldn't fit the full context, but that part was from when it was being explained to the Discovery crew how the war had gone so badly during their nine month absence. The Klingons had re-balkanized after their initial unity at the start of the war and the houses were operating independently and trying to prove their individual dominance, so some were engaging in open slaughter with no regards to holding territory, just bragging rights for kills and destruction caused.

I said it before but I REALLY wish they'd just forgotten that happened, the klingon war in discovery is ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Taear posted:

I said it before but I REALLY wish they'd just forgotten that happened, the klingon war in discovery is ridiculous

The Klingon war in Discovery is Attack of the Clones. In SNW it's Clone Wars.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Everyone posted:

:hmmyes:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao for some reason I thought this last episode was supposed to be the musical episode and as the hour went on I was like.. "it's getting less and less likely that they're about to break into song"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*slaps roof of M’Benga*

this bad boy can fit so much loving trauma in him

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

some kinda jackal posted:

lmao for some reason I thought this last episode was supposed to be the musical episode and as the hour went on I was like.. "it's getting less and less likely that they're about to break into song"

It would have actually been amazing if at the very end in sick bay M'benga and the ambassador spontaneously broke out into song and duetted their PTSD away.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How much of Spock did Boimler know? Like does anyone in this universe know about Spock doing the weird movie stuff and dying in another universe?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

How much of Spock did Boimler know? Like does anyone in this universe know about Spock doing the weird movie stuff and dying in another universe?

He knew about his service on the Enterprise, and probably also the Khitomer Conference and preventing the Romulan supernova from destroying half the Romulan empire and his work on reunification.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Khanstant posted:

They know about the Kelvin Timeline by the time of Discovery's future, due to the time wars or whatever (there's an off-hand line about a temporal agent being from a timeline "that was created when a Romulan mining ship was sent back in time"), but as far as I know there are no references to anyone knowing about Spock going to that timeline.

Spock is still in the Prime Timeline by the time of Lower Decks (I think LDS is before the supernova?), but by Picard everyone thinks Spock died during the events surrounding Romulus' destruction.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

He knew about his service on the Enterprise, and probably also the Khitomer Conference and preventing the Romulan supernova from destroying half the Romulan empireand his work on reunification.

Supernova hasn't happened yet in LDS

e: fb

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A little behind now, but a useful thing to repost:

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
Someone mentioned it up thread but I really liked that you could never really tell if the ambassador was sincere with his "peace" negotiations. There were a couple scenes where he reminded me a LOT of Dukat, but other times he actually seemed very genuine. Really well written and acted, to have that degree of vague unease in just one episode.

Not jazzed about revisiting Discovery's Klingon war. The show wrote itself out of cannon, we don't have to pay attention to it any more. It's right up there with the Romulan supernova in terms of things we shouldn't acknowledge (except we have to now, thanks Picard).

Ending of this episode was a let down, but ya'll have talked about to death. I didn't like it but I'm trusting that it will have a pay off somewhere down the line.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

A little behind now, but a useful thing to repost:

I'm really glad there's a nice runway for a theoretical LDS to continue on for years before the franchise ends for Picard before continuing on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Back in TNG days it was one season equals one year, and a season was generally 26 episodes. It seems like LDS is sticking to about 26 episodes equals one year.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Honestly I think the intended payoff from both the "physical" and the moral ambiguity is the unease and the discussion

Not saying it'll never come up again, but it really doesn't have to

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Love that the Klingons look right now.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I appreciate the corrections but am now upset that the official timeline is apparently "the Romulan supernova is known six years ahead of time, and Spock arrives just ten minutes too late to prevent it".

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Pinterest Mom posted:

I appreciate the corrections but am now upset that the official timeline is apparently "the Romulan supernova is known six years ahead of time, and Spock arrives just ten minutes too late to prevent it".

Logically, he didn't need to leave yet. I mean, what are the odds of it being some kind of...subspace supernova? Plenty of time to enjoy some plomeek soup.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Picard reverted the subspace supernova poo poo from the old EU, it's just the Romulan star itself going regular supernova.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Everyone posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of Discovery, I reckon it's nearly 1:1 we see the launch of 'The First Enterprise Since The Burn' by the time season 5 is done, and 50-50 split that Burnham is made captain in the finale, what'cha all think?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of Discovery, I reckon it's nearly 1:1 we see the launch of 'The First Enterprise Since The Burn' by the time season 5 is done, and 50-50 split that Burnham is made captain in the finale, what'cha all think?

I think I hate everything about this including how likely it is

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

MikeJF posted:

Which letter of the alphabet would that be then?

Does Discovery ever doing anything meaningful to show the progression of civilization a millennium in the future? From the bits I've seen it doesn't feel like the writers were particularly inspired to explore that other than all of the warp drives exploded/dark ages type thingy.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Enterprise 1701-iv

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Mirror universe Enterprise-X with Captain E'lon M'usk

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Love that the Klingons look right now.

Complete agreement:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Disco recap at the beginning of the last episode only highlights how :wtc: that initial makeup revision was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

maybealabia posted:

I think I hate everything about this including how likely it is

Eh, I feel like the ending is more likely to be a TNG style 'And The Adventure Continues' thing on Discovery. Especially seeing as they apparently want to leave the door open for Doug Jones or SMG to guest on Starfleet Academy. (I know Academy is probably dead in the water, but they didn't know that when they wrote the finale stuff)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I will say though, if it goes to a full inquiry with truth verifiers, M’Benga and Thirst Chapel might be in for a rough time.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TheCenturion posted:

I will say though, if it goes to a full inquiry with truth verifiers, M’Benga and Thirst Chapel might be in for a rough time.

Sickbay is the one place on a starship I would think they disallow having cameras/sensors recording 24/7, so good on M'Benga

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MikeJF posted:

Saru or nothing :colbert:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Saru or nothing :colbert:

Accidentally clicked here while watching wrestling, read this as Sabu. Back to collision, bye.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There's a thing though: the only good fascist is a dead one.

M'Benga did nothing wrong. He was there, so he's also one of the few remaining that can judge. No one else can judge because Rah ordered them to be killed. All of them, the children too. He's not called the Butcher because he killed his captain, it's because he ordered the death of thousands of human civilians.

The number of people in this thread supporting a child killing fascist is truly strange. Some people deserve to die, and the cowardly lying Klingon was definitely one of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RandolphCarter posted:

Accidentally clicked here while watching wrestling, read this as Sabu. Back to collision, bye.

"Space. The Final Frontier. I'm Sabu."
45 seconds of awkward silence.

Helm: Captain, do you have a heading for us?
points to sky.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CaptainSkinny posted:

M'Benga did nothing wrong. He was there, so he's also one of the few remaining that can judge. No one else can judge because Rah ordered them to be killed. All of them, the children too. He's not called the Butcher because he killed his captain, it's because he ordered the death of thousands of human civilians.

The number of people in this thread supporting a child killing fascist is truly strange. Some people deserve to die, and the cowardly lying Klingon was definitely one of them.

The Klingons gave him the Butcher sobriquet specifically because they thought he'd killed his senior subordinates. M'Benga was calling himself the Butcher because those were his kills. Emotions aside, Rah deserved the name because of the massacre of civilians.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is Pike actually complicit in the coverup? The ending was kind of rushed, but I think M’benga killed the ambassador, Chapel walked in on the end of it, they came up with a plausible cover story, and the rest of the crew bought it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Get Columbo on the case

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Sickbay is the one place on a starship I would think they disallow having cameras/sensors recording 24/7, so good on M'Benga

On the other hand, given how Doctor Crusher discussed patients' conditions to Captain Picard pretty openly, HIPAA stopped being a thing sometime between 2023 and 2364 (probably because of the Eugenics War/World War III.) I could see a starship sickbay at the very least having sensors that would automatically log anyone entering and leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think at this point it's clear there are no surveillance or security systems at all on starships. The captain can be abducted by aliens and no one knows until they go to his quarters and find out he's not there.