Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that cash- and check-users self-segregating themselves to a separate but equal line in the grocery store is a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

withak posted:

I think that cash- and check-users self-segregating themselves to a separate but equal line in the grocery store is a great idea.

calm hitler's cash and carry

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

withak posted:

:ohno:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just so it's on this page as well: self check-outs can and usually do accept cash. This is a false dichotomy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'll just anonymously hand over cash, in person, while being watched by several humans and numerous recording devices.

You know, anonymously.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gort posted:

I'll just anonymously hand over cash, in person, while being watched by several humans and numerous recording devices.

You know, anonymously.

that's what bitcoin is for, duh

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just so it's on this page as well: self check-outs can and usually do accept cash. This is a false dichotomy.

Yeah the only time they don't is towards the end of the night when they count the tills of a bunch of the machines and turn them over to credit only leaving maybe 1 self serve station as cash. But that's because of the logistics of counting tills and not because cash machines somehow cost more than an employee per year to run.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

nachos posted:

Austria is apparently constitutionally preserving the right to “pay anonymously” aka with cash so self checkout might end up being a moot point anyway if boomers decide that saving cash is the new front in the culture wars and they all start refusing to use credit cards

Kinda feel like doing that myself.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There are a few stores in my area where one bank of machines is specifically card only.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

nachos posted:

Austria is apparently constitutionally preserving the right to “pay anonymously” aka with cash so self checkout might end up being a moot point anyway if boomers decide that saving cash is the new front in the culture wars and they all start refusing to use credit cards

Somewhere out there is a tech bro who is convinced that this is a problem solved by bitcoin.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bawk posted:

Somewhere out there is a tech bro who is convinced that this is a problem solved by bitcoin.

Bitcoin is the solution to countless problems. We just haven't discovered them yet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does Germany still do that thing where your bar tab is kept track on the coasters and then at the end they come and add it all up and take your cash?

I always thought that was kind of neat.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's just some bars, not universal. The last time I was at a restaurant they had some gadget* to track the tab and print a receipt.

:latestfad:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TACD posted:

Card / contactless payments are great but I agree TBH, it’s extremely important to be able to use cash for lots of reasons and it’d be horrifying if it was done away with

I tend to agree. Also if this becomes A Thing with worldwide right wing movements it’d be funny to see visa, Mastercard, countless startups who built their business model off taking a cut of payments, etc squirm even a little bit. There’s enough schadenfreude to go around with this one.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Family Values posted:

Boomers are definitely already doing this. My boomer relatives are posting memes on FB about using cash instead of cards so small businesses don't have to pay bank processing fees. They're not totally wrong, but are also ignoring the cost of handling cash.

Around here there was a period where there was only one card processor company around and they charged stupid fees for small volume so a lot of small shops would not accept card or would only accept it for purchases above a certain amount.
Fortunately eventually the government wised up and implemented through the national bank a new card processor with reasonable fees, benefits for small business and low hardware costs (basically a card reader/pin input and a smartphone app), so now pretty much every shop allows card.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m currently waiting a huge checkout line at a Publix in western Florida and really missing my self checkout machines right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dave posted:

I’m currently waiting a huge checkout line at a Publix in western Florida and really missing my self checkout machines right now.

That’s your own fault for going to Florida

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The Publix I’ve been to in NC have a bunch of self checkouts?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Arivia posted:

That’s your own fault for going to Florida

I don’t disagree with this. While driving to our rental we were greeted by a place that had two massive, 3 story red banners declaring “TRUMP NOW. TRUMP WON.”

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Simultaneously lolling at the obvious error and kinda impressed that it knew to bold each "n"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought it was going to count the "m" as two "n"s.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Alas, it's simply educated stupid.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
AI is very good at certain specific things, but this is why I am very skeptical of the people who think AI is going to replace all TV writers, lawyers, doctors, etc.

Also, for the AI to be good at the specific things it can be good at, it needs to be trained on good data, be free from human error, and be free from weird AI-specific errors. That means even the things it is good at aren't 100% guaranteed either.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 7, 2023

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
folks that are gonna go ahead using it don't care if it's accurate or good or right - i think it's clear that everybody knows it's a garbage product right now and folks are still using it and jamming it into everything

like, mayonnaise just has 4 n's in it sometimes, that's ok

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

Simultaneously lolling at the obvious error and kinda impressed that it knew to bold each "n"

Took me a moment to figure out what the question was and whether 4chan had made another high profile embarrassment

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The social media site formerly known as Twitter is now trying to raise money by embedding video ads into any tweets with an uploaded video and disguising ads as verified tweets from real people with a tiny "ad" disclaimer in the top right.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah yes, balsa, that wood well known for its robustness, let's name a product after it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is reasonably robust for its weight.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Ah yes, balsa, that wood well known for its robustness, let's name a product after it

Balsa is the perfect material for moving fast and breaking, so the target market is well-understood

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

I love potatoe salad made with mayonnaisne.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The social media site formerly known as Twitter is now trying to raise money by embedding video ads into any tweets with an uploaded video and disguising ads as verified tweets from real people with a tiny "ad" disclaimer in the top right.

Isn't this just most sites with a social component? I can't think of any that are ad supported that don't do this poo poo already.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Volmarias posted:

Isn't this just most sites with a social component? I can't think of any that are ad supported that don't do this poo poo already.

Twitter specifically removed the advertisement tag, structures the ads to look like tweets from verified users, removed the "sponsored content" tag, and just put a small "ad" copy in the top right corner.

The video thing is common, but making all of your ads look like real posts from "verified" users and removing the sponsored content tag without making any public announcement is pretty scummy and trying to appeal more to advertisers.

It's just screams desperation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Twitter specifically removed the advertisement tag, structures the ads to look like tweets from verified users, removed the "sponsored content" tag, and just put a small "ad" copy in the top right corner.

The video thing is common, but making all of your ads look like real posts from "verified" users and removing the sponsored content tag without making any public announcement is pretty scummy and trying to appeal more to advertisers.

It's just screams desperation.

One of the reasons the Reddit app is borderline unusable is because it just plops the ads in as reddit posts. Not quite as brazenly as Musk does it but there you go.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s pretty much the norm these days. The same thing happens on Instagram and Facebook. The boost to conversion rate likely heavily outweighs any user churn rate.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I thought there was some kind of law that says advertisements must be clearly labeled? I know the joke response is going to be “lol :capitalism:” but I feel like at some point it became an actual thing with YouTube and twitch videos requiring them to be labeled and I feel like all blogs I read have advertisements clearly labeled too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought there was some kind of law that says advertisements must be clearly labeled? I know the joke response is going to be “lol :capitalism:” but I feel like at some point it became an actual thing with YouTube and twitch videos requiring them to be labeled and I feel like all blogs I read have advertisements clearly labeled too.

It clearly says ad in the corner, it is visible enough to pass muster as well. Ad is in the same size as the rest of the text as well.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

More like bad

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
They should make a new mad men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Brain Curry posted:

More like bad