Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

I meant trading the higher tier bands to other players for gil, not through like an in-game vendor or something. I didn't buy the ring with money, I was the one buying it with gil. I think it cost me like 20 million gil for the platinum ring?

I hate to break it to you, but you may have been swindled. There's only one ring regardless of package, the "Eternity Ring", which is untradeable and unsellable. Maybe it used to work differently though, I don't know the history of patch notes regarding weddings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No there's just a miscommunication. You're thinking of the awarded item after you complete the ceremony, they're talking about the item you use to start it.

Olly the Otter
Jul 22, 2007
Ok, so, speaking of the Coils of Bahamut. I and my friends breezed through the first four instances unsync'd, then we got to Twintania and got owned. Tried several times but there are too many instant-death mechanics, some of which we don't understand. We're all level 70+. Can anyone point to a real resource explaining how to do this fight? I watched the Mica Does Stuff video where he's soloing it with a high-level unsync'd character, but the mechanics that are killing me don't seem to be mentioned.

Here are the main problems I've encountered:
- In Phase 4 (where Twintania gains the ability to cast Twister), it's apparently also possible to get hit by a knock-back pushing you out of the arena. It's like what happens in the Divebomb phase (Phase 3), but it apparently can also happen in Phase 4. Mica doesn't mention that this is possible or what to do about this; I mean, if we're having to run around like a crazy person to avoid the Twisters, then how can we be standing in the exact center of the arena at the same time to be safe from getting pushed out of bounds?
- I later came back to try to do this solo (as my friends are now fed up with this fight), but a few seconds into Phase 4, Twintania hits me with some sort of stun ability. I can't move or cast at all, and after a few seconds it's an instant-death. Mica didn't mention this mechanic at all. I tried 5 times but it happened every time. I don't know what this mechanic is called, as there's no message other than that I've been defeated.

I'd really like to get past this fight somehow, because various Bahamut instances keep popping up in my Wondrous Tails journal.

Olly the Otter fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 8, 2023

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

If you're going unsynced you could always sit and wait for the boss to enrage and then smack them down while they're spamming AoEs, it's what I did.

Aaanyway I've gotten to post-Shadowbringers content now and I just piloted a Gundam and then watched an anime-rear end cutscene of some dude doing pushups and drinking milk with lovingly rendered sweat glistening all over him. Lmao.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Olly the Otter posted:

Here are the main problems I've encountered:
- In Phase 4 (where Twintania gains the ability to cast Twister), it's apparently also possible to get hit by a knock-back pushing you out of the arena. It's like what happens in the Divebomb phase (Phase 3), but it apparently can also happen in Phase 4. Mica doesn't mention that this is possible or what to do about this; I mean, if we're having to run around like a crazy person to avoid the Twisters, then how can we be standing in the exact center of the arena at the same time to be safe from getting pushed out of bounds?
- I later came back to try to do this solo (as my friends are now fed up with this fight), but a few seconds into Phase 4, Twintania hits me with some sort of stun ability. I can't move or cast at all, and after a few seconds it's an instant-death. Mica didn't mention this mechanic at all. I tried 5 times but it happened every time. I don't know what this mechanic is called, as there's no message other than that I've been defeated.

I don't know about the knockback but that second one is Dreadknights. The add spawns in the middle of the map, stuns one person and has to be killed before it reaches them. When soloing you either need to get the boss below 30% before the Dreadknight or use the few seconds before you get stunned to nuke the add.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's pretty cool how far they've been able to push their cutscene work when it started as just /emotes with the small theater understanding that you should pretend they're holding things in their empty hands

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

iirc you can one-shot Twintania with a level 80 blue mage

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

BLU did seem close to one-shotting them at 70 but I wasn't sure if they had mechanics bullcrap to get around that

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Blue Mage can one shot all the ARR bosses at level 80 now, so that's the easiest way to unsync most of ARR. The spells needed aren't too hard to get either, nothing that requires doing synched extreme trials.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alxprit posted:

BLU did seem close to one-shotting them at 70 but I wasn't sure if they had mechanics bullcrap to get around that

If I remember right at 70 BLU needs to do some damage to just before a phase transition, then sting.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In ARR there used to be cross class skills you had to acquire from other crafting jobs. Is this not a thing anymore?

Just making sure because I was thinking of picking up maybe a job or two.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's no cross-class skills for crafting anymore, and all crafting classes have functionally identical movesets.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, you can now be a single-job crafter and have the full skillset, although most of the crafting skills require raw materials from the others, so it's often very useful to be an omnicrafter.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's a point where you go "well they're all using the same armour so I'll just save myself the hassle"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is there a short and dirty version for leveling all gatherers and crafters? I'm still long way from Endwalker but I'm just looking to make some extra money and kill time. I'm on "recommended" server so I think I have exp boost for all my jobs.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Custom Deliveries and the daily Grand Company turn-ins are both good exp sources, but they are limited, if you just wanna mash your face into the mill for a while look into Ishgardian Restoration/Firmament poo poo.
Might as well do some tribes while you're at it.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there a short and dirty version for leveling all gatherers and crafters? I'm still long way from Endwalker but I'm just looking to make some extra money and kill time. I'm on "recommended" server so I think I have exp boost for all my jobs.

Step 1: From level 1-20 you just craft your entire crafting log, focusing on unique entries to get the first time craft bonuses, and then once you exhaust all of those and you somehow haven't finished this step, just quick synthing big stacks of random stuff.
Step 2: When you can do Ishgardian Restoration (level 20), you do it until you hit 80. You'll probably want to look ahead to see what materials you'll need and prepare for it in some fashion, either through the market board, or just gathering it yourself.
Step 3: You switch to doing Collectibles/leves until level cap.

Intermittently sprinkle in daily GC turn ins, weekly custom deliveries, job quests, and leves to taste. You'll especially want to do your job quests before you hit 80 since that will unlock Manipulation which is insanely vital.

Before level 80, make sure you update your gear every 20 levels (since Ishgardian Restoration's crafts are every 20 levels), and level all of your crafters at once to save on armory chest space.

Once you hit 80, you'll decide on just doing it the slow and cheap way (only doing the level 80 collectibles and leves to cut down on the gear rat race) or the fast and more expensive way (updating your gear whenever you possibly can and crafting the next tier of collectibles and repeating that for every 2 levels basically) or the blazing fast and costliest way (buy the leve materials for the highest level leves you can and just turning those in).

Leveling crafters/gatherers will inevitably cost you a bunch of gil. You can cut down on expenditures in various ways, by trading your time for it. Also crafting has been made much, much more accessible at the cost of horrible elitists being made unhappy. This is good, in general, but it also means you can't really turn crafting into giant fat stacks of money unless you do it slowly (by doing low effort crafting I got myself to about 90 million by the end of Shadowbringers, and I hit 100+ million gillion in Endwalker), or really take advantage of patches to print gil.

NachtSieger fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 11, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Is there any setting anywhere that makes player overhead HP bars not get obscured by NPCs? This is probably the dumbest UI design decision ever and makes then completely useless when tanking since I can't see mine half the time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mr. Neutron posted:

Is there any setting anywhere that makes player overhead HP bars not get obscured by NPCs? This is probably the dumbest UI design decision ever and makes then completely useless when tanking since I can't see mine half the time.

Turn it off, that'll mean they're not obscured by NPCs (since they no longer exist).

The party sidebar is generally enough if you're a tank, since the question is basically either whether you have aggro, or you don't because you see other people dropping suddenly.

You can edit the UI to drag your main healthbar up next to you and then it'll always be on top of anything.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
hour 600 of finishing the main ARR story and still somehow dealing with the most dreadfully boring refugee crisis or something now that I honestly couldn't give two fucks about. When people say the story of this game is really good, I think they have to be loving trolling. Oh, and every single Lalafel story character in this game I wish would loving die, The sultaness, the uh syndicate guy who has a mustache and is bad, they are absolutely loving awful and have terrible voice actors and it really takes me out of the game. It's a struggle to do any of this story without just skipping every single cutscene and text box about this and its ENDLESS. It has me teleporting around the map 90 times just to uncover a plot the game explicitly showed you was happening 5 hours prior.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

hour 600 of finishing the main ARR story and still somehow dealing with the most dreadfully boring refugee crisis or something now that I honestly couldn't give two fucks about. When people say the story of this game is really good, I think they have to be loving trolling. Oh, and every single Lalafel story character in this game I wish would loving die, The sultaness, the uh syndicate guy who has a mustache and is bad, they are absolutely loving awful and have terrible voice actors and it really takes me out of the game. It's a struggle to do any of this story without just skipping every single cutscene and text box about this and its ENDLESS. It has me teleporting around the map 90 times just to uncover a plot the game explicitly showed you was happening 5 hours prior.

You actually went ahead and finished the story of ARR? Impressive.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

It unironically takes until like 2.4 to get good (ie when Sir Aymeric and the Ishgardians start to show up in the main plotline). Mentally exhausted from the Titan bullshit and the pre-nerf corrupted crystals wild goose chase I personally couldn't take it, bought a skip to go from 2.X to Heavensward, watched a few vids on what happened in 2.4 and 2.5 and never looked back. I wouldn't recommend wasting money on that unless you really can't handle it and are about to drop the game, but the option's there.

Trust me when I say that Heavensward onwards is a completely different beast to what you're going through now. Even the voice actors get replaced with better ones.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So to address some of those concerns earnestly:
No one thinks the ARR story is all that great. At best a typical fantasy story with typical trappings with lots of busywork. Heavensward's story is a lot tighter and generally much better received, and it's where the story really starts coming together.

That said, things like refugee crises and similar stories will always be a driving force of the plot. They get to the point faster but you're always dealing with the common people and their problems in society.

All of the voice actors will be replaced in Heavensward as well, except for a few that are introduced in the late 2.x patches. The new cast and direction is also much better received.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

It unironically takes until like 2.4 to get good (ie when Sir Aymeric and the Ishgardians start to show up in the main plotline). Mentally exhausted from the Titan bullshit and the pre-nerf corrupted crystals wild goose chase I personally couldn't take it, bought a skip to go from 2.X to Heavensward, watched a few vids on what happened in 2.4 and 2.5 and never looked back.

Trust me when I say that Heavensward onwards is a completely different beast to what you're going through now. Even the voice actors get replaced with better ones.

thats all well and good but I'm too far along now to buy a skip but its literally

- Primal is rising oh no, go defeat it
- go 10 different places to talk to people saying the same thing
-beat primal, wow that was loving easy
-repeat 15x
-In between this, have your eyes glaze over at "palace intrigue" written at a 3rd grade level

I have spent countless hours after seeing credits roll on ARR moving refugees from one camp to another, doing busy work, and the equivalent of "deliver 10 bear asses" too many times to count. I loving killed Gods, why the gently caress am I doing any of this???

It speaks volumes that the most interesting part of this game was the goofy rear end detective storyline which I did finish entirely. I finished all the raids too which were mildly more interesting, but with Coils having not played 1.0 enough to remember anything I couldn't give a single gently caress about these twins and their grandfather who seems like one of the dumbest mother fuckers on earth.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So to address some of those concerns earnestly:
No one thinks the ARR story is all that great. At best a typical fantasy story with typical trappings with lots of busywork. Heavensward's story is a lot tighter and generally much better received, and it's where the story really starts coming together.

That said, things like refugee crises and similar stories will always be a driving force of the plot. They get to the point faster but you're always dealing with the common people and their problems in society.

All of the voice actors will be replaced in Heavensward as well, except for a few that are introduced in the late 2.x patches. The new cast and direction is also much better received.

That's nice but dude dealing with the common man should be delegated to any of the other stupid loving scions who do... what exactly? They are always just sitting the gently caress around. Why am I doing this. It's poor writing 100% lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
It's amazing this game got as popular as it is though with the first couple hundred hours or whatever being this... bad

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I was in your situation about 3 months ago and yes, the base game story is utter garbage and yes, it does get much better later on. Heavensward especially was a legit good story. Shadowbringers I thought was a bit overrated but the premise was definitely intriguing, Stormblood was boring and at times nearly ARR level of insufferable mainly the part with the NOBLE WARRIORS OF STEPPES, ugh and Endwalker tried it's best to tie up every loose end and provide a somewhat coherent ending and, baring one asspull of a concept dynamis, mostly succeeded.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yes arr stinks and dont forget that everyone is dressed like an ugly clown too

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

It's amazing this game got as popular as it is though with the first couple hundred hours or whatever being this... bad
I can only hope that one day they have the time to do a massive overhaul of ARR to bring it in line with the rest of the game's level of quality.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It does set up for future plot hooks further down the line though post-HW, it's just in a vacuum not gonna stick out to you. Each of the 2.x Primals too was fantastic in setting up what all future primal fights would be like in terms of diegetic music and setpieces, though I assume inherent powercreep has made them less impactful nowadays.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Allarion posted:

It does set up for future plot hooks further down the line though post-HW, it's just in a vacuum not gonna stick out to you. Each of the 2.x Primals too was fantastic in setting up what all future primal fights would be like in terms of diegetic music and setpieces, though I assume inherent powercreep has made them less impactful nowadays.

I’ve done every fight even extremes synced and it was cakewalk so far. Music was nice and I like that you can get the music to play at your house.

That being said this game lives and dies by the RP and social aspect for me so far

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GilliamYaeger posted:

I can only hope that one day they have the time to do a massive overhaul of ARR to bring it in line with the rest of the game's level of quality.

I hope the opposite. The highs seem higher when the lows are what they are.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HW onward is def better but people acting like it's a completely different game are just setting you up for disappointment lol. You got some sick fights and setpieces to look forward to at least.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah it's important to note that story content is always walk here, talk to person, pick up item, teleport here, have cutscene. Every two levels you get a dungeon; do some raids at max level. Outside a gimmick here and there, that never changes and never will.

The writing gets better and the plots more interesting, but the vehicle for it remains the same.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah it's important to note that story content is always walk here, talk to person, pick up item, teleport here, have cutscene. Every two levels you get a dungeon; do some raids at max level. Outside a gimmick here and there, that never changes and never will.

The writing gets better and the plots more interesting, but the vehicle for it remains the same.

I’m fine with that, I enjoy mmos, but Christ it’s just so boring and worse, required…

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Stormblood was boring and at times nearly ARR level of insufferable mainly the part with the NOBLE WARRIORS OF STEPPES, ugh

I do not understand how an actual human being could feel this way about this section in particular

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Little sun does not own and that owns:allears:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The steppes are one of the few parts of Stormblood not involving Our First Friend to not be boring.

Not for nothing 4.x gets you away from Ala Mhigo as soon as possible

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
One thing I do appreciate about this game is the sheer number of cat girl prostitutes trying to gently caress me for being a tall elf, which is apparently a rare race and gender to be lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

I’m fine with that, I enjoy mmos, but Christ it’s just so boring and worse, required…
Well, on the plus side you being so fed up with being used as a mere errand boy despite being a literal god slayer means that the Dark Knight questline will resonate with you pretty hard when you finally hit Heavensward.