Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

axolotl farmer posted:

posting on page 100

btw, the least useful right-click menu item was 'create new briefcase'. idk if anyone every used ms briefcases.

i still don't know what they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

njsykora posted:

i still don't know what they were

90s LAN-only Dropbox.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in a well actually posted:

90s LAN-only Dropbox.

network and diskette importantly, so the metaphor was that you put things you worked on in there and there were some ui conveniences for syncing it onto a floppy or a network location (crude merge info etc.)

i never used it either, but tbh it seems both a good metaphor and idea

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like how some programs will just add their poo poo to the right click menu like yeah i can’t wait to add this file to an sfx file or merge this word doc into git

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

right click to extract be nice tho

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
thats one of the only useful ones.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

The very first thing i do to a new computer is downlod the whole Propaganda tile set and set it to tile and rotate every 30min

(if you're old like me -- these are the backgrounds that came with Enlightenment back in the day)

https://github.com/BenjaminHCCarr/PropagandaTiles

quote:

| P R O P A G A N D A Desktop Enhancements For Linux by Bowie J.Poag |

lol i remember when this guy had an account here like 20 years ago and got banned

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

network and diskette importantly

also via laplink cable iirc

which now sounds less like a cable to connect two computers for file transfer and more like a brand name for a teledildonics standard

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the parallel port was so under-appreciated

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jonny 290 posted:

the little 2 pin SPDIF header on motherboards. I actually used this back in the day when i set up a lovely "htpc" across the living room from the stereo, and it passed flawless surround sound with no fiddling. i was amazed

e: run was about 35 feet of cat5 that i just soldered RCA plugs on to lol

I just plugged in a combined spdif and optical out backplane card today so I could use the optical out to get a total of three separate inputs into my desktop amp

also the line out was noisy as poo poo.

e: the card cost about 15x the parts for it cost and got shipped direct from china lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

i like how some programs will just add their poo poo to the right click menu like yeah i can’t wait to add this file to an sfx file or merge this word doc into git

I had to use teracopy to move a trillion little files a while ago, and it added an option where now when I paste a file it makes me choose whether to use explorer.exe or Teracopy and its wild that a program can just do that

:ssj:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the parallel port was so under-appreciated

without dma a parallel laplink cable would softlock a win98se box during the transfer...at 230kbps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

right click to extract be nice tho

the only thing I don’t like about this is how it’s a gamble if it’ll unarchive into a folder or just dump the contents into the folder holding all your downloads or whatever

there is NO solution to this and it is IMPPSSIBLE to know what’ll happen

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

without dma a parallel laplink cable would softlock a win98se box during the transfer...at 230kbps

that's on the laplink software

parallel was still amazing because it was basically gpio and with dos you could get away with bit banging. as a kid i made a link cable to load programs on my calculator from dos by cutting a goddamn headphone cable in half then jamming the bare wires into a parallel port along with a pair of diodes

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
winrar has separate extract here and extract to folder menu items, works for me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

winrar has separate extract here and extract to folder menu items, works for me.

it does yes, and extract here is the one i’m moaning about, extract to folder is the safe option, but is still a gamble, you might end up with a nested folder 😭

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that’s the archive’s fault

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unfortunately it’s our problem

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

echinopsis posted:

the only thing I don’t like about this is how it’s a gamble if it’ll unarchive into a folder or just dump the contents into the folder holding all your downloads or whatever

there is NO solution to this and it is IMPPSSIBLE to know what’ll happen

Ark has "extract Archive here, autodetect subfolder" which extracts here if there is only one folder in the archive and extracts to archivename/ if there are more files in the top level.
I don't know any program that provides that for windows, though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

VictualSquid posted:

Ark has "extract Archive here, autodetect subfolder" which extracts here if there is only one folder in the archive and extracts to archivename/ if there are more files in the top level.
I don't know any program that provides that for windows, though.

i think the 7zip shell extensions have an option for this too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in what world would this: 1) differ from the filename; and; 2) not be a bad idea that it differs from the filename?

e: to be clear i know the answer to 1 is "this world" as unix weirdos *love* archives named differently from the single directory in them, but that's dumb as poo poo and 2 has no answer.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

in what world would this: 1) differ from the filename; and; 2) not be a bad idea that it differs from the filename?

e: to be clear i know the answer to 1 is "this world" as unix weirdos *love* archives named differently from the single directory in them, but that's dumb as poo poo and 2 has no answer.

mainly it's useful to me if there are several subdirectories along with some root level files

like, a lot people used to just zip up a cd instead of making an iso etc

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

mainly it's useful to me if there are several subdirectories

that's the normal case; extract using the filename as the directory name. supported by literally every compression program on windows for 28 years (winzip and winrar to start, then all others have imitated that obviously good right-click menu option). i assumed that the op was seeking the unix weenie special case where you have programx-19980703.tar.gz with the single directory "programx" and the option only extracts in the case that is indeed the case.

i will admit that it might be as likely that the op has just not used windows for 28 years

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 19, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that's the normal case; extract using the filename as the directory name. supported by literally every compression program on windows for 28 yeasr, what the op is describing is the unix weenie special case "check that there's precisely one directory at the root of this archive, extract accordingly"

imo it's still useful for things that have like the same filename as the only subdirectory but only one or two files within it. generally if there's no option for it i don't really care, but having some deduplication just saves a step or two so it's kinda nice. not really a big deal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

but yeah 99.9% of the time it's usually some grognard tar.gz.xz.Z.7 bullshit doing that in the first place

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I simply extract the file. If it ends up in a directory, great. If not, well, it's not like I can't just delete the files and do it again from a directory I've just made.

What if a directory with the same name as the archive already exists, you ask? Well, I suppose I like to live dangerously. :clint:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

network and diskette importantly, so the metaphor was that you put things you worked on in there and there were some ui conveniences for syncing it onto a floppy or a network location (crude merge info etc.)

i never used it either, but tbh it seems both a good metaphor and idea

i miss diskettes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i like using USB keys as diskettes, and when i still had a windows machine i cared about I would map the USB keys to the B: drive

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i only got to map drives for a short while in the early 90s when my friend asked me to extend the system his cousin set up. it was pretty fancy, just boot with this diskette then a whole menu showed up and you could hit 1/2/3 until you got wolfenstein or leisure suit larry

i couldnt figure out how to add options but i did figure out how to just make a 7.bat file so typing 7 started doom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

i like using USB keys as diskettes, and when i still had a windows machine i cared about I would map the USB keys to the B: drive

reminds me of the first time I installed windows off of a usb rather than cd

god what a glorious time

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
a PC mag article described how to do a DOS boot menu and I remember customizing the poo poo out of it

1 Windows
2 DOS with cdrom and sound
3 DOS with no cdrom and sound
4 DOS with networking
5 DOS with MAX EMS

so many [sections] in my config and autoexec

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
disk compression: Stacker or Doublespace

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
loving up my drive by running scandisk (or maybe some other disk tool) on a stacker compressed drive

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hed posted:

disk compression: Stacker or Doublespace

then stacker suing for patent infringement, and microsoft having to re-implement it in a less efficient way and renaming it drivespace

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EMS vs XMS

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
4dos was the bomb so much more powerful than plain batch.
Dr-dos was the bomb, especially with multitasking and somehow using some video memory to give you nearly a full 640k on boot.

I never used it except once or twice in a VM but desqview/X was sooo under appreciated and came close to making DOS into a respectable single user no-security platform. Absolutely criminal that nobody used it. I wish it was at least successful enough to get an x11r6 compatible release. At R5 it just barely falls short of maybe supporting some really useful modern apps.

dd was a great colorful dir replacement

anyone else remember those drivers that would let you get nearly 2 megs on a floppy? I remember making massive bootable archives for my friends that would start up, load the driver and start dearchiving like 40 floppies worth of crap to their hard drive.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

uharc

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

reminds me of the first time I installed windows off of a usb rather than cd

god what a glorious time

the speed. it shaved install times down to 1/4 of a disc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol, funny that we were just talking about archive support on windows. i just read a thing saying they're integrating libarchive with windows 11, meaning most formats should be natively supported