Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

last night my dad tried to argue in complete seriousness that the reason for high house prices and unaffordable rents was that it was too hard for landlords to evict people and that they weren't able to make enough of a return so were selling up

this got quite heated because we'd had a few drinks and ended up with him sulking after I said he can't have free market capitalism and then complain about the results of it while decrying everything else as communism

pretty sure he now considers me to be a disgrace

now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
the free market is perfect

except any time it could harm me i expect everyone involved to hold themselves to an unstated moral code

i am not subject to this moral code, obviously

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fair point, it all went wrong in march 2004

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it all went wrong in the 10th millennium bc, you mean

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it all went wrong in the 10th millennium bc, you mean

SA wasn't around in those days though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
land being bullshit fuckery undergirded with violence is a lot older than capitalism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, but march 2004 is when powerful two-hander registered on the something awful forums

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its always been capitalism we just didnt start calling it that till recently

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oh yeah i see

re jonny: you need violence subordinated to capital to have capitalism, and the violent dudes in ancient empires sure as gently caress werent subordinated to the money dudes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no im sure caesar was just tearing through europe for the thrill of exploration. nothing to do with england's tin stash

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

no im sure caesar was just tearing through europe for the thrill of exploration. nothing to do with england's tin stash

putting a capitalist point of view on caesar is like those medieval paintings where they put caesar in plate harness and lances or shakespeare putting him in doublets. bein rich as crassus didnt save crassus

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

no. you should read some theory, op

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

that's a thing capitalists invented to try to claim that it's the "natural order" of things or whatever, don't buy into it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

re jonny: you need violence subordinated to capital to have capitalism, and the violent dudes in ancient empires sure as gently caress werent subordinated to the money dudes

hey guess what that debt book I keep talking about explains real well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i tend to disagree

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

hey guess what that debt book I keep talking about explains real well

graeber kinda sucked at ancient history, read him for the anthropology

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

i tend to disagree

what it’s been forever is “class society” but that takes many forms and they’re not all the same

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

later rome is actually used as an example of where the interests of money won out vs. the interests of everyone else on a large scale for the very first time in history and the fact that we've modeled all our poo poo after the romans is kinda A Problem

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

graeber kinda sucked at ancient history, read him for the anthropology

not that debt book, this one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

not that debt book, this one

michael hudson is cool. he exaggerates stuff sometimes to drive home the point but i think his points are solid and he’s a good communist boy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bein rich as crassus didnt save crassus

do you think anyone has made a serious attempt on the life of any of the techlords? for all the gadsen flags they wave americans are the most servile people in history.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
crassus died in direct military confrontation in pitched battle

dont think bezos would get himself in one of those

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

do you think anyone has made a serious attempt on the life of any of the techlords? for all the gadsen flags they wave americans are the most servile people in history.

the google exec who got OD'd, maybe

the crypto guy who got shanked in a parking lot

probably a few others

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

crassus died in direct military confrontation in pitched battle

dont think bezos would get himself in one of those

hypothetically one or both of musk and zuck could die in hand to hand combat.

they won't, but for a few minutes it seemed possible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

the google exec who got OD'd, maybe

the crypto guy who got shanked in a parking lot

probably a few others

there have been more than one crypto guy getting dismembered events in just the last like year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

there have been more than one crypto guy getting dismembered events in just the last like year

yeah, this guy was better known than most and had some projects outside of crypto. also it was last year sometime. i can't be bothered to look up his name though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

but if landlords didn't own properties, where would renters live?

- an argument i have seen earnestly made in loving d&d

on some level you do have to find a solution for people to live somewhere without owning it, right? or am I missing something (I have no particular suggestion to this quandary just noting it exists)

unless you’re trying to abolish all land ownership in which case - problem solved :grin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

on some level you do have to find a solution for people to live somewhere without owning it, right? or am I missing something (I have no particular suggestion to this quandary just noting it exists)

unless you’re trying to abolish all land ownership in which case - problem solved

You're getting warmer

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my landlord is the municipality, which works well enough that i think it could be elevated to general practice

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
encourage tech lords to take up hobbies that will kill them if they gently caress up, like sub guy (except preferably solo)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

haveblue posted:

encourage tech lords to take up hobbies that will kill them if they gently caress up, like sub guy (except preferably solo)

given that sub guy managed to compress two billionaires into something with no billion and no air, nah, keep the multiplayer ventures comin'

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

rich people killing themselves with a small amount of collateral deaths would be an improvement over the current situation of rich people not killing themselves with a gigantic number of collateral deaths

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

my landlord is the municipality, which works well enough that i think it could be elevated to general practice

my municipality is the largest landlord in the country. this would be fine if not for a decade and a half of city governments underfunding the community housing corp, leading to over $1billion in backlogged repairs and over a thousand units being removed from the market because they're literally uninhabitable.

in theory, the system should work, and in practice politics have destroyed it

that said, i fully support municipal owned housing, funded by tax revenues from, among other things, property taxes. you do actually have to fund it though

echinopsis posted:

yeah, as noted, municipal owned housing would be an ideal solution, and it works in a lot of places. the place where i live isn't necessarily one of them, but it's not an unworkable idea

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

municipal/public owned housing isn't all that perfect either, in singapore for example it creates a lot of problems that i'm too high to talk about right now. class divide and xenophobia come to mind. also they all look the same

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sporean xenophobia is middling in the grand scheme of things but if you look at the region, they are the least xenophobic country within about 2500 miles radius

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

sporean xenophobia

is this about that family that got wiped out in australia via bad mushrooms

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my municipality is the largest landlord in the country. this would be fine if not for a decade and a half of city governments underfunding the community housing corp, leading to over $1billion in backlogged repairs and over a thousand units being removed from the market because they're literally uninhabitable.

in theory, the system should work, and in practice politics have destroyed it

that said, i fully support municipal owned housing, funded by tax revenues from, among other things, property taxes. you do actually have to fund it though

yep, ultimately i think it works only so-so in a *lot* of places, but the problems tend to be stuff that needs to get fixed *anyway* (i.e. get politics to do baseline sane things), and the starting point is for sure better than the pure-market-forces alternative.

and it does work very well where i am at, so can be done.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
hey guys, check this out:

crapitalism

eh? eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rotor posted: