Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To be fair to Zephyr there's also Garcia Rossi, but he and Fie only really meet in Reverie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Junpei posted:

To be fair to Zephyr there's also Garcia Rossi, but he and Fie only really meet in Reverie

Yeah, but Killing Bear left long before Zephyr's heydays came to an end, so even with him gone, you'd have expected more folks from those late pre-battle-royale days to still be around.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

quote:

Zephyr and Gnomes

Probably same reasons for both, but with 75/25 25/75 ratios
Trying to keep bloat down a bit as this thread hates so much, also on vita atleast, with 3d models there might have been a problem with an entire platoon of soldiers on screen?
Too much work/ no time to make the designs at all levels. Arc 4 was also kinda just rushed, theres a reason CS3 spends half its run hyping you up with characters you don't see till CS4, and then they arent playable again...

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 19, 2023

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
just finished CS3. this poo poo is stupid as hell and i know it's just going to get worse in CS4. however i did like all the scenes of NPCs from places you visit throughout the game being overtaken by the cursed black haze and then just going "huh that was weird" and walking off.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

(CS 4)The Gnomes are presented as this counterpart to the Hexen clan, with a massive underground base the size of a small city, but whenever CS4 talks about the Gnomes, it's really just Alberich and Georg. (and even the latter drops out during Act 3) The presence of more Gnomes, metal beatles or otherwise, would have made them feel more like a group and less than a name two guys called themselves.

Same with Zephyr. They're presented as one of Zemuria's toughest corps, who could give the Red Constellation (with all its platoons) a run for its mira, but during the Cold Steel games, it's really just Fie's two honorary uncles. CS2 waves this away saying the other members are somewhere else "working to bring back the boss", but not only does CS4 show that the process of resurrecting people as Awakeners doesn't actually take the labor of whole platoons of jaegers, but even after Rutger is brought back, Zephyr remains just a name two three guys call themselves. I kinda missed the mook platoons going "Yo Silpheed, what's up these days" in the latter Cold Steel games.

It's a weird snag in Falcom's usual world-building.

The bizarre part to me is that when discussing suspects in Reverie, the Gnomes are ruled out because there aren't any anymore and everyone agrees. When I heard that, I went "excuse me?" They were introduced as a similar group to the Witches, which suggested to me that they were a people who - like the witches - continued to replace members of their society to keep their numbers up, so as to NOT GO EXTINCT. They had a gigantic underground base, they had an income stream from the Black Workshop. CS 4 specifically said (in Altina's third bonding event) that the Black Workshop was abandoned after Rean's retrieval, which to me suggested that they moved elsewhere.

But no, apparently there were literally two and ONLY two Gnomes left at the start of CS 4.

I don't think it's a weird snag, I think there's a direct correlation between the increase in the amount of fantastical elements their stories contain, and the decrease in the details/base-covering put into their world-building. The more things which Falcom realizes they can just ascribe to weird and unfalsifiable fantastical elements, the less effort they put in to maintaining cohesiveness. It's something I've found quite irritating, especially when in-game, some people do still occasionally talk about the logistics of things, as if the player is expected to be thinking about that and working it out.
(And if someone does attempt that *cough* they get told by fans that they're being stupid and should not be thinking about it.)

MythosDragon posted:

Probably same reasons for both, but with 75/25 25/75 ratios
Trying to keep bloat down a bit as this thread hates so much, also on vita atleast, with 3d models there might have been a problem with an entire platoon of soldiers on screen?
Too much work/ no time to make the designs at all levels. Arc 4 was also kinda just rushed, theres a reason CS3 spends half its run hyping you up with characters you don't see till CS4, and then they arent playable again...

Goodness, yes.

You're probably referring to something else, but how much screen time does CS 3 spend on Leeves and the Branch Campus students only for both of them to largely be an afterthought in CS 4?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Goodness, yes.

You're probably referring to something else, but how much screen time does CS 3 spend on Leeves and the Branch Campus students only for both of them to largely be an afterthought in CS 4?

I'm referring to the greatest crime of all Sky's best character, Schera not being playable or even seen in CS3. Leeves is pretty cool and most of the students have better first impressions, but Trista beats them up completely at the end, and I'm still fuming Klein is nowhere to be seen in Arc 4.

It's an unavoidable consequence of Falcom's release schedule. I personally see it as a necessary evil, since Falcom is ostensibly the only self owned game company from 40 years ago left, and I'm 100% against rocking the boat in any shape way or form unless they are in legitimate danger when they continue to pump out the highest quality games there are despite the occasional flaw.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The bizarre part to me is that when discussing suspects in Reverie, the Gnomes are ruled out because there aren't any anymore and everyone agrees. When I heard that, I went "excuse me?" They were introduced as a similar group to the Witches, which suggested to me that they were a people who - like the witches - continued to replace members of their society to keep their numbers up, so as to NOT GO EXTINCT. They had a gigantic underground base, they had an income stream from the Black Workshop. CS 4 specifically said (in Altina's third bonding event) that the Black Workshop was abandoned after Rean's retrieval, which to me suggested that they moved elsewhere.

But no, apparently there were literally two and ONLY two Gnomes left at the start of CS 4.

There could be an argument that Alberich and George went rogue. It would explain why the others gnomes aren't seen and why George seem to lack contemporaries thereafter.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MythosDragon posted:

I'm referring to the greatest crime of all Sky's best character, Schera not being playable or even seen in CS3. Leeves is pretty cool and most of the students have better first impressions, but Trista beats them up completely at the end, and I'm still fuming Klein is nowhere to be seen in Arc 4.

The weirdest thing about that is that there are animations done, you can see them if you had that character as a Support in United Front attacks.

Tesseraction posted:

(CS 4) There could be an argument that Alberich and George went rogue. It would explain why the others gnomes aren't seen and why George seem to lack contemporaries thereafter.

That wouldn't explain why Reverie is insistent that Gnomes can't be involved. If they still existed but were elsewhere, they'd still be possibly involved. Reverie acts like they can't be the culprits because they're all gone.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

There's an easy guess Having the leader of your tribe reincarnate endlessly by possessing the most outstanding member and turning them undead WHICH we have no reason to believe doesnt mess with reproduction, generally doesnt do wonders for the tribe's population but trails isnt gonna outright talk about that ever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's gnot gnormal that there's gno gnomes in Sen gno Kiseki and we have gno gnotion why

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Kuro chapter 1: drat, I wished they'd animated Walter PICKING UP A TRUCK and throwing it at a Soldat.

I hope Feri gets more interesting, because right now I can't help feeling like I'd trade her Ayda in a heartbeat.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 19, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In the last chapter of Sky SC, and I have a question: Do I need to worry about characters being suddenly forced in for a boss fight? I mean, I imagine that there will be sections where a character will be required (Namely: Scherazard and Zin for their respective rivals ), but my specific question is if there will be a chance for me to grind up any character I haven't been actively using if they are required, or if it comes up suddenly that I do not have a chance to do that and I may as well do it now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

In the last chapter of Sky SC, and I have a question: Do I need to worry about characters being suddenly forced in for a boss fight? I mean, I imagine that there will be sections where a character will be required (Namely: Scherazard and Zin for their respective rivals ), but my specific question is if there will be a chance for me to grind up any character I haven't been actively using if they are required, or if it comes up suddenly that I do not have a chance to do that and I may as well do it now.

You'll be free to grind. The best spot for that is near the start of the third tunnel section, under Factoria. The first squid enemy has a chance to spawn with six Shining Poms.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Unlucky7 posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? If you're playing on Normal, it should be fine without any extra effort. If you're playing on Hard, you might want to take the time to move your quartz around to whatever party members you want to take with you.

You don't need to grind AT ALL. Trails uses the old Suikoden style of level-ups, where characters gain XP based on their level vs where you are in the game. So at any point in any game in the series if you have a character who is behind in levels, if you take them into a dungeon or a story quest, they will catch up by the end of the quest.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

They're not forced into the party. However, if they're not in the party when you do their respective fights, you'll miss out on their scenes.

They're fought in the same order as when you did the towers, and you have to make your way back to the ship to change your party. To make it explicit: Kloe and Olivier have dialogue in the first fight, though you won't lose out on any big scene if they're not there. Schera extends the scene for the second fight and Zin in the third. After that you can set up your final team; the fourth fight has no extended scene and the fight after that locks in your final party members.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Terper posted:

They're not forced into the party. However, if they're not in the party when you do their respective fights, you'll miss out on their scenes.

They're fought in the same order as when you did the towers, and you have to make your way back to the ship to change your party. To make it explicit: Kloe and Olivier have dialogue in the first fight, though you won't lose out on any big scene if they're not there. Schera extends the scene for the second fight and Zin in the third. After that you can set up your final team; the fourth fight has no extended scene and the fight after that locks in your final party members.

I'd advise to bring your favorite characters after you've done the four tower rematches. Everyone has unique dialogue in the next sequence, as well as Mueller+Olivier having unique dialogue if you take them both as opposed to taking either one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Zero: Ernest flying away on a dragon monster is like the funniest loving thing, though I guess it Zero is your first game Renne having an actual horribly conspicuous Giant Robo that she flies away on after. Probably the biggest plot twist so far is that Rixia is supposed to be Enforcer-level because she just felt “pretty solid” relative to our crew.

I like that the main story references the dragon request that was entirely optional, love that attention to detail.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol, with the unlimited bonding points in CS4 Rean apparently has to call up and reject like 27 women before going on his late-night date (which I obviously chose Towa for, though Fie was actually a dark horse runner-up - I liked her CS4 bond events).

The bad guys win because half of the good guys are depressed after being rejected the night before the battle.

Gameplay-wise - which of these overpowered accessories should I use on Rean? Do two "50% Arts cast time" = "25% Arts cast time"? I'm torn between that and using Duvalie's + Crow's for Max Speed. The ones that give CP are also kinda appealing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Terper posted:

Schera's scene is actually the third boss and Zin's the second one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lol I even remembered the order of the towers correctly and still wrote it like that, oops

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was looking up tips on the 5th boss and it says that being Tita on the 4th boss has an extra scene?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
You might as well, it's more like a 0.5 versus a 1.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Edit: nevermind I think I understand now

EDIT 2: any tips for that 5th boss other than keep earth wall up and maybe have Kevin for his S Break?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 21, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Edit: nevermind I think I understand now

EDIT 2: any tips for that 5th boss other than keep earth wall up and maybe have Kevin for his S Break?

He's vulnerable to Clock Down, though his clones are not. He's definitely the hardest fight in the game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I went back and fought the 4th boss with Tita and did I need to fight Renne with Tita in the previous fight? Because that was basically nothing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Made one of those fancy Omega Ex Orbs in CS4 (the Attack one). Gonna need more U-Materials to make more. Gonna go for the Speed one next - there will not be a repeat of the previous Divine Knight battle where the boss kept getting repeated turns.

I would have saved up more U-Materials if I remembered these were a thing and cost so much, instead of spending them on Zemurian Ores (since it's using a game clear I can make those at any time). I have quite a few ultimate weapons, but ultimate weapons aren't exactly a big deal in CS4 since they only have like 50 more attack than their end-game alternative.

On the character front, it seems like the game is trying to make Kurt and Sully a thing. Someone please tell me that Sully is an age that doesn't make this weird. She could be anywhere from 12 to 17 given her appearance and I've lost track over how many in-game years have passed since her initial appearance in Zero (though I'm not sure how old she was then either).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Playing Zero I think she’s like fourteen in her initial request, idk how long the difference in time from Zero to CS3 is though.

Also, man, sure is a shame Trails From Zero is two games before Falcom realized that if your final dungeon theme is one of the best tracks in the game it shouldn’t get interrupted constantly for something that’s just “pretty good in a vacuum ig”. Or poo poo, even just have the Roaring version of Get Over the Barrier play instead of Formidable For.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I went back and fought the 4th boss with Tita and did I need to fight Renne with Tita in the previous fight? Because that was basically nothing

Nope, which is why I didn't mention it. Technically, the fact that she doesn't have anything to add is actually relevant for Sky 3rd.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

According to the wiki, Sully is two years younger than Kurt.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Ytlaya posted:

lol, with the unlimited bonding points in CS4 Rean apparently has to [spoiler]call up and reject like 27 women before going on his late-night date (which I obviously chose Towa for, though Fie was actually a dark horse runner-up - I liked her CS4 bond events).

You don't have to. My method was to skip getting two hearts on all except one, but even if you get all the hearts, you don't have to arrange a date at the end of the event scene, you can choose to leave it at that, which should mean never having to make many calls.

Ytlaya posted:

On the character front, it seems like the game is trying to make Kurt and Sully a thing. Someone please tell me that Sully is an age that doesn't make this weird. She could be anywhere from 12 to 17 given her appearance and I've lost track over how many in-game years have passed since her initial appearance in Zero (though I'm not sure how old she was then either).

I don't think Kurt and Sully are a thing, I sometimes think Kurt may actually be asexual, given his apparent bafflement at other teens being horny. Or perhaps he only understands swords (not a metaphor).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 21, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, that is Sky SC done and dusted. I got to say, while I was wondering if I should just move on to Zero, that scene with Kevin at the end makes me interested enough to play 3rd, assuming that it is Kevin centric

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It is, and also 3rd is one of the best Trails games so i'd recommend giving it a go.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also some of Third ties to Crossbell anyway, like you won’t be lost without playing it but stuff like Renne’s backstory gets explored in both.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The more I think about it, the more I wish that SC had an extended ending rather than Cassius on a dragon saying "Everything is fine! Story is over! Go home! :v:" , considering the state we entered into the final chapter. Like, maybe go around Grancel seeing the state of the world..

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I wish that SC had an extended ending rather than Cassius on a dragon saying "Everything is fine! Story is over! Go home! :v:" , considering the state we entered into the final chapter. Like, maybe go around Grancel seeing the state of the world..

Welcome to RPGs. Final bosses are loadbearing and games must cut to black within 10 minutes of winning. Ironically? Dragon Quest is the averter of this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When you think about it 3rd is basically an extended ending for Sky as a whole

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Look, I can accept Kurt crossdressing, but did you really have to give him a female voice actor too?
And did it really have to be Emma's too? Lmao.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Look, I can accept Kurt crossdressing, but did you really have to give him a female voice actor too?
And did it really have to be Emma's too? Lmao.

Don't worry, it wears off the moment he needs to go back to fighting!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Zero) Oh cool, Hartmann is a loving pedophile/child rapist. I just assumed he was, you know, an evil cultist and not that he was being extorted for that, Jesus. Also between this and Revache extorting the Hayworths for an unreasonable amount of interest which led to Renne’s whole deal I guess a lot of bad things are just straight up Hartmann’s fault. The biggest plot twist is still probably that they made debuffs usable against the final boss though, feel like a lot of bosses and even some normal enemies just get to resist All Of Them past a certain point.

Gameplay question: is it even possible to debuff most stats? And am I gonna get a half-decent explanation for where the gently caress my 3000-5000 sepith went when I boot up Azure now, or should I just strap in for disappointment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Don't worry, it wears off the moment he needs to go back to fighting!

And boo to that lmao.

That door was a ton of fun.
I seriously truly want an entire game of nothing but doors to explore smaller scenarios and less seen characters because theyre so fun.
None of this boring Kevin plot or sexy awesome 3 protags stuff, just endless doors.