Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I didn't hate the episode at all and don't really see everyone's issue with it. I watched it, I had some good laughs, it did its job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I thought it was a great episode 7/10

however, in a season of 10/10 eps, a 7/10 does stand out a bit

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My measuring stick for whether a comedy really works is whether or not I laugh even if I'm alone. We tend to laugh more when other people are present.

I laughed at this episode rather a lot, so A+ would laugh again.

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
eh I think the episode was good to pretty good, it's just out after some of the best episodes of the series, or maybe I just like the little hosed up dudes too much, the weirder the show gets the more I love it.

Making Lazlo a Frankenstein is fantastic, more hosed up super science in the world of vampires and other mystical whoosits works so well. So maybe have a wank in the wanking shed cause I'm loving the run this season and am hoping more than anything it sticks the landing, just no reverting of Gizmo for status quo and I'll be good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

mutantIke posted:

I will never hate an episode where the A-plot's motivation is "we had the fx budget to make a bunch of hosed up creature puppets"

Yep. No matter what this episode will be remembered fondly by me simply by merit of Lazlo's "abominations"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally got time to binge the last four episodes, and man, ColinRobinson has been tearing it up this season.

I was seriously expecting the late night news team to be their new project-of-the-season. That bit was fantastic. There's so much poo poo to you could with that set up.

Weakest points so far have been The Guide and yeah, most of the last episode.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I can’t WAIT for this season’s Simon the Devious episode.

I’ve loved every single one of them, and with as good as this season is, I’m sure it’ll be a banger.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I had a good laugh at the hybrids mentioning an "elder", and Guillermo scoffing at the idea of it (since it's only fifteen minutes older than the rest) ... but then he immediately accepts a "quest" from it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ratjaculation posted:

I thought it was a great episode 7/10

however, in a season of 10/10 eps, a 7/10 does stand out a bit

Yeah, I've enjoyed this season but this felt like the weakest episode by a mile.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Am I hitting the spot, Colin Robinsooon?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Matt Berry is such a tour de force. The dialog about wanking in the shed is delivered so quick and perfectly.

Really everyone is bringing it. One of the best cast shows out there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Matt Berry is such a tour de force. The dialog about wanking in the shed is delivered so quick and perfectly.

I just had to re watch this scene after reading your post.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

CatstropheWaitress posted:

you know, it's incredible. I remember being like "oh sweet they got Matt Berry for this show, it'll probably be good" and then they somehow found four (!) other people just as funny as he is???

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Yet again worth recommending everyone watches Four Lions

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ratjaculation posted:

Absolutely, it's a great film and that final credits sequence is something else.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
My reaction to this one mirrored how a lot of people here felt about last week's. By contrast I personally loved last week's, but for me, this one was all over the place. A consistent storyline, random zany hijinks, but not enough actual funny stuff.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 25, 2023

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

A step up from last week thanks to Doug Jones, but the episode also showed that taking lines away from Matt Berry or put him in the background is never a good idea. The reveal to his silence also fell flat for me, was hoping for something with more weight or substance, but I guess that was supposed to be the joke.
As said, it fell flat.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It started off strong and threatened to go somewhere but by the end kind of ended up being a retread of the previous episode. Here's some creatures, what do we do with them? Eh just give them away.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

DrVenkman posted:

It started off strong and threatened to go somewhere but by the end kind of ended up being a retread of the previous episode. Here's some creatures, what do we do with them? Eh just give them away.
Yeah, it feels like they’re spinning their wheels on the season’s big meta-plot (Guillermo being turned by not-Nandor) and they still have to address it while still leaving the resolution for the finale.

Still, I can’t hate a Baron-centric episode.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else get "Wait, did I miss an episode?" thoughts when this one brought up a bunch of plot points that haven't been talked about recently?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Titling the episode "The Roast" is pretty genius.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I thought this episode was great, and the reveal of why Lazlo had been deep in thought was hilarious. I think the other big thing is that it reminds us as we get close to the end of the season how important Guillermo is to Nandor. Not important enough to ask if he had an amphibious egg sac, but you know.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really wonder how they're going to conclude the "Nandor doesn't know" arc. Will they get Nandor drunk or similar so he blacks out, then they all tell him he made Guillermo a vampire? Or will he get cured somehow giving Nandor the chance to turn him again.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

mcbexx posted:

A step up from last week thanks to Doug Jones, but the episode also showed that taking lines away from Matt Berry or put him in the background is never a good idea. The reveal to his silence also fell flat for me, was hoping for something with more weight or substance, but I guess that was supposed to be the joke.
As said, it fell flat.

Doug Jones is awesome and one of the very few good things you could say about Star Trek Discovery. More Baron, More Saru, More Doug Jones please.

Also I kind-of liked the roast. There were a few great jokes in there and Nandor is a surprisingly good roaster.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Kinda disappointed by both the Moreau and Roast episodes, but maybe as a double-feature they would have played better. Laszlo and Guillermo have to keep the abominations out of the way while Nandor fawns over the Baron. Get the Guide involved in Nadia’s teaching plot to build the antagonism there. Colin Robinson keeps on doing his thing as the connective tissue. It’s a weird predicament to sundown the season on a few shrugs after such a strong start.

Medullah posted:

I really wonder how they're going to conclude the "Nandor doesn't know" arc. Will they get Nandor drunk or similar so he blacks out, then they all tell him he made Guillermo a vampire? Or will he get cured somehow giving Nandor the chance to turn him again.

I anticipate this is the tag of the next episode. Maybe the cold open of the finale.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Colin Robinson doing the Aristocrats at the Roast was amazing.

I was disappointed that they didn't bring Jeff Ross out and then kill him

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

delightful posted:

Doug Jones is awesome and one of the very few good things you could say about Star Trek Discovery. More Baron, More Saru, More Doug Jones please.

Also I kind-of liked the roast. There were a few great jokes in there and Nandor is a surprisingly good roaster.

His intro for the Baron was the highlight of the episode for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like that all the vampires like Seanie. :3:

Fun episode, weak end joke for Laszlo though. Was Matt Berry actually there? Every time they cut to him, it looked like the same shot, same pose and expression.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was hoping for more roasting, but what we got was pretty good

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I was hoping the "Yes, Yes, Very Good" was like an answering machine message for Lazlo astral projecting or something to try to continue his research on Guillermo. Even if everything else was the same, I was thinking they'd do an entire roast and then he'd come back and have missed the whole thing because he was having an away from body experience.

But the episode just kind of bounced back and forth between extreme conflict and no conflict willy nilly. It seemed kinda rushed, and while it made sense to me that the baron would give up the hunt the first time, the second time didn't work as well for me.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Very messy episode with some good beats here and there, but definitely filler. I can't hate an episode with this much Baron, though, but I think there's only two episodes left and they have a lot to wrap up. I hope they can stick the landing after an otherwise amazing season, last two episodes not withstanding.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Ratjaculation posted:

Dark comedy.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The Laszlo resolution was funny but kind of a letdown because I had convinced myself that the real Laszlo was off doing something secret and he just somehow conjured up a Tulpa of himself to stay behind at the house so nobody would be suspicious.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Someone in the thread previously speculated on them killing Derek and that undoing Guillermo's partial transformation. Maybe it gets to a point at the end of the season where Guillermo doesn't realize that has happened. Nandor decides it's time to turn him, but due to the double vampire exploding thing Guillermo says something like he needs more time as a familiar and it's too soon.

He shortly thereafter realizes he isn't actually part vampire anymore and asks Nandor to turn him, but Nandor tells him no, that he must respect Guillermos wisdom to wait, and will be strong and refrain for now.

The Lazlo reveal fell a little flat for me, but otherwise a great episode. I like when they have the moments that show how scary the vampires actually can be, and angry Baron was terrifying.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I am kinda disappointed that with the reveal of Guillermo being gay that they haven't really done much with that beyond hint at his betrayal of Nandor to be akin to that of a gay lover's spat. It would have been cool if Laszlo said, "You know I can help you with all that wanking!" Like this episode would have been way better if the Baron decided to settle things with Gizmo by saying, "Well, if you swing that way, I think we can work things out." Then a fade to black and Guillermo is just stunned while the Baron is laughing all the while.

Then he gets burnt again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"At least he died doing what he loved.... beating off in the tool shed."

I actually really liked that episode, not up to the standard of the first part of the season but a step up from last week I thought.

Also really liked Nadja reaching out with a comforting gesture to Nandor when she found out he'd only gotten to have sex with Laszlo three times that week. :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 26, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Only two more episodes to go :ohdear:

Edit: oh poo poo, according to Wikipedia they're going to air both episodes next week

The_Doctor posted:

Fun episode, weak end joke for Laszlo though.

Yeah if they had've stuck the landing it would've been a really good episode, there was a lot of great stuff in there

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

Titling the episode "The Roast" is pretty genius.

:aaa:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Shitenshi posted:

I am kinda disappointed that with the reveal of Guillermo being gay that they haven't really done much with that beyond hint at his betrayal of Nandor to be akin to that of a gay lover's spat. It would have been cool if Laszlo said, "You know I can help you with all that wanking!" Like this episode would have been way better if the Baron decided to settle things with Gizmo by saying, "Well, if you swing that way, I think we can work things out." Then a fade to black and Guillermo is just stunned while the Baron is laughing all the while.

Then he gets burnt again.

I'm kind of glad they didn't use the gay character this way, because it's not the 90's anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
When did they start worrying about the head vampire being killed killing all of his lineage, because they thought the baron was pretty dead in season 1 unless I’m remembering wrong (which I very well could be).