Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Angry_Ed posted:

Hulk Hogan is a pathological liar, dude.

Like, I'm sure some of it is him being carny as gently caress but there's other stuff like claiming he could've played Bass for Metallica or being able to smell death on a child that just defies that explanation

Oh I know!

Another one I just remembered: That time he claimed he was gonna be one of the stars of the A-Team but he turned it down cause there was too much backstage drama with Mr T and the other cast members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Tomb of the Unknown Hulkamaniac

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hogan has that Steven Seagal thing where they both desperately want to be cool so they come up with all kinds of weird lies and one liners that are absolutely dreadful.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Hogan has that Steven Seagal thing where they both desperately want to be cool so they come up with all kinds of weird lies and one liners that are absolutely dreadful.

it's a shame they never teamed up the stories from that filming alone could be a thread.

Though Segal did do movies with Steve Austin and RVD and they were, surprising nobody, complete dogshit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

There’s this stretch in 1996 nWo where he’s trying to sell their tagline as “anything else would be too civilized!” which is a riff on some commercial slogan of the time.

There’s also the time he wanted to be called Wood, Woody, or Woodman

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That one episode of Nitro where Hogan and... some guy are riding around in a limo looking for one of Flair's kids always stood out as weird to me. Big Wood trying to be a mobster or some poo poo all episode having whispered conversations in a limo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Drakkel posted:

That time he claimed he was gonna be one of the stars of the A-Team but he turned it down cause there was too much backstage drama with Mr T and the other cast members

An alternate universe where Terry Bollea is cast as Mad Murdock and then gets Barclay on TNG.

An alternate universe where Terry Bollea is Jewish.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

There’s this stretch in 1996 nWo where he’s trying to sell their tagline as “anything else would be too civilized!” which is a riff on some commercial slogan of the time.

I think that was a tagline for a deodorant, I don't remember which brand (I want to say it might've been Right Guard) but I remember "anything less would be uncivilized!"

and yeah, that time he claimed people in "the hood" told him "Wood, do it for us!"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

I think that was a tagline for a deodorant, I don't remember which brand (I want to say it might've been Right Guard) but I remember "anything less would be uncivilized!"

and yeah, that time he claimed people in "the hood" told him "Wood, do it for us!"

Ok these commercials rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXce26k-leU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
in the hood they call hulk woody

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The WOODMASTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWj3I9L3sqg&t=322s

why does he keep saying it like that

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

the wood master as they call me

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hollywood Hulk Hogan was amazing, not as it was happening but through the passage of time its become very funny.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I went down to the hood, and they said 'WOOD

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Angry_Ed posted:

Also important to note that Hulk was also using this because he was in the ad campaign too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzV5f67Zv4w

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

TheKingslayer posted:

"And here is where I keep the tomb of Andre the Giant, brother!"

Alright this got me good

Hulk Hogan's myriad of lies is my favorite wrestling-related thing ever. It's so loving ridiculous. Hulkster can smell death on a sick child, brother. Hulk Hogan was gonna be a bassist for Metallica, Jack. Woody shuffled a 9-foot tall Antonio Inoki right off the mortal coil, dude, by submitting him with the first ever triangle choke in front of 100,000 screaming Pride-amaniacs, Mean Gene

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Drakkel posted:

Oh I know!

Another one I just remembered: That time he claimed he was gonna be one of the stars of the A-Team but he turned it down cause there was too much backstage drama with Mr T and the other cast members
This may be more rooted in reality than a lot of his claims, Hogan guest starred in two episodes of Season 4 of The A-Team during the 1985-1986 season. This would have been after the first Wrestlemania and Mr. T and Hogan appearing together on SNL and various talk shows. By season 4 the ratings for The A-Team were starting to slip and Mr. T and George Peppard were not getting along at all and kind of fighting over who was the "real lead" of the show. There was apparently talk of adding new cast members to the show for the fifth (and ultimately final) season to revitalize it, and serious talk of either T or Peppard quitting.

I doubt it ever got to a serious contract negotiation and I doubt even more that it would have saved the show from being canceled, but someone telling Hogan "you should join the cast of the A-Team next season!" is a conversation 1000% more likely to have actually occurred than a broad swath of the stories that have come out of Hogan's mouth. And it's built on actual events (him appearing on the show, there being backstage drama) and does not involve copious time travel as many of his stories do.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Do you think The Hulkster ever feels shame?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I honestly can't imagine he does.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ChrisBTY posted:

shame is for jabroni marks without a life that don't know it's a work when they work a work and work themselves into a shoot, marks

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

There is absolutely no way he feels shame.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

ChrisBTY posted:

When he loses a match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

Hollywood Hulk Hogan was amazing, not as it was happening but through the passage of time its become very funny.

It was amazing as it happened.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nothing took me aback as much as him showing up with spiked hair at the disney mgm tapings

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

This may be more rooted in reality than a lot of his claims, Hogan guest starred in two episodes of Season 4 of The A-Team during the 1985-1986 season. This would have been after the first Wrestlemania and Mr. T and Hogan appearing together on SNL and various talk shows. By season 4 the ratings for The A-Team were starting to slip and Mr. T and George Peppard were not getting along at all and kind of fighting over who was the "real lead" of the show. There was apparently talk of adding new cast members to the show for the fifth (and ultimately final) season to revitalize it, and serious talk of either T or Peppard quitting.

I doubt it ever got to a serious contract negotiation and I doubt even more that it would have saved the show from being canceled, but someone telling Hogan "you should join the cast of the A-Team next season!" is a conversation 1000% more likely to have actually occurred than a broad swath of the stories that have come out of Hogan's mouth. And it's built on actual events (him appearing on the show, there being backstage drama) and does not involve copious time travel as many of his stories do.

One of Hogan's stories in his book was how he kept the peace on set between T and Peppard, but as you say he was only on there for two episodes. Still, the way he talked about doing it you could almost imagine his follow up was "They shoulda given me a crack at Israel and Palestine, DUDE."

Re: The Cribs spot, while it's well known Cribs would rent a house for a celebrity because said celebrity probably didn't actually live in as nice a place as was shown on TV, I think that's Bad Terry's place. I'm surprised there wasn't a slightly dazed Brian Knobs wandering around.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I'm surprised there wasn't a slightly dazed Brian Knobs wandering around.

Bubba the Love Sponge was in the closet filming a different show

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

One of Hogan's stories in his book was how he kept the peace on set between T and Peppard, but as you say he was only on there for two episodes. Still, the way he talked about doing it you could almost imagine his follow up was "They shoulda given me a crack at Israel and Palestine, DUDE."
You inspired me to look up the passage and the Hulkster has a correction for both of us:

quote:

Anyway, the producers of The A-Team gave me a couple of episodes to start with. I appeared as the salt half of a salt-and-pepper dynamic duo with Mr. T, and the ratings came up on those episodes. After that, the producers talked to me about staying on the show the rest of the year.

But it wasn’t just that Mr. T and I worked well together on the screen or drew a few extra viewers. The producers had also seen that I was an effective buffer between Mr. T and George Peppard, the other star of the show.

You wouldn’t know it from watching The A-Team, but Peppard and T hated each other with a passion. On the other hand, I liked both George Peppard and Mr. T, so I became the peacekeeper on the set.

It all started when Mr. T went to George Peppard’s trailer with a copy of The Hollywood Reporter in his hands. He was standing outside the trailer, quoting from The Hollywood Reporter, and roaring at the top of his lungs.

“Mr. T is not a real actor, is that what I heard? Mr. T is a pompous rear end, is that what I heard? Mr. T makes more money than anybody even though he’s the worst actor on the set, is that what I heard? Well, get out here, Hannibal, I’ll kick your rear end.”

I pulled Mr. T away from the trailer and said, “Hey, man, calm down.”

From that point on, I became the guy who would keep them from killing each other. I would say, “Oh, he didn’t really mean that,” or “He’s sorry he said that,” or “He didn’t mean to arrive late at the set,” or “He’s not really trying to steal your scene.”

Everybody liked to have me around because I calmed all the crap down. So I’d say it wasn’t necessarily my acting ability they wanted on the set of The A-Team. It was my refereeing ability.

They offered me forty-five grand an episode, which was big money at the time. But I told them I wasn’t interested in a long-term commitment. I knew the wrestling business was my base. If I left it to appear in a TV series it could be over in thirteen weeks, whereas wrestling was on a roll—and Vince McMahon was being so good to me, I’d be crazy to give that up.

In the end, I did three or four episodes. That was it.
I think you'll see he actually did three or four episodes! This is a really great example of "the real story is actually pretty impressive/exciting but Hogan still feels a compulsion to lie and inflate things".

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Salt and pepper dynamic duo.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The WOODMASTER

Watching Bischoff, Bryan Adams, and Scott Hall in the background as they try to figure out what the gently caress he’s talking about is a joy

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just assume that at 1980s shows in lieu of craft services there was a table with a big pile of coke on it

This is one entry from the Wrestle Sleaze list that is 100% true:

quote:

209. More Graham-on-Hogan action: "We're flying to Minnesota, and Hulk Hogan, who is sitting across from me, pours out a pile of cocaine onto a mirror. He offers me some but I decline. 'Yeah,that's smart,' he says. 'Coke is a tough habit to break.' Then he proceeds to shove three lines up his nose."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The WOODMASTER

There are worse ways to pronounce other words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiNu3UTsfRs

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Suplex Liberace posted:

hollywood hogan is one of the greatest heels of all times, jack

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ROD THE BOD, DUDE!

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Have we had anyone on here go through the Hogan autobiography and post the various ridiculous passages?

I’ve been on a wrestling book kick so I would be game to put myself through that if not.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Havoc904 posted:

Have we had anyone on here go through the Hogan autobiography and post the various ridiculous passages?

I’ve been on a wrestling book kick so I would be game to put myself through that if not.

not that I can remember, but the monumental podcast had a good series about the book

https://www.spreaker.com/user/monumentalpodcast/56-hulk-hogans-first-memoir-part-1
https://www.spreaker.com/user/monumentalpodcast/57-hulk-hogans-first-memoir-part-2
https://www.spreaker.com/user/monumentalpodcast/59-hulk-hogans-first-memoir-part-3
https://www.spreaker.com/user/monumentalpodcast/60-hulk-hogans-first-memoir-part-4

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I don't remember if Hogan had his own show when he was friendly with Bubba the Lovesponge, or would just come in and shoot the poo poo with the guys every once and a while, but either way he told some incredible stories.

The best thing about the Bubba/Hogan friendship is that from the Bubba wedding we got that Hogan has a high class event doorag.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“I was going to be the bassist for Metallica after Cliff Burton died but they thought I was too good” is a bizarre one because that’s actually what happened to Les Claypool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve never seen Hulk Hogan and Les Claypool in the same place at the same time