Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Canonically, Estelle is also a fishing freak.

Rean is also an avid fan of radio shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Estelle is also a sneaker fanatic.

And a bug collector.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Estelle always gets priority on the high end Stregas even if she's not going to be in the party much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought I recognized these characters in Kuro from somewhere, and sure enough they were from one of the book series from (apparently) Sky SC. Stuff like this makes me think that maybe this series has a coherent long-term plan, because jeez. Also just the fact that this game is way better than I expected it to be and is almost like the developers sat down with me personally and took all my advice about things I want them to do.

Edit: Yeesh, this game has some pretty hosed up stuff happen sometimes. I think this is the most bad stuff villains have done during a Trails game (as opposed to just being told about stuff they did in the past - or, more commonly, just preventing their actions from having serious consequences so they can become friends with the party later). Nice to have actual villains, though.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I like seeing Van get really passionate about sweet desserts, his car and motorsports in general. Not to mention he likes seeing a movie every so often with the rest of the cast. You get a good sense of what Van likes to do in his downtime, which you don’t really get quite as much of with Rean or Lloyd.

I like Van's truck. There was a funny gag recently where Van is getting very defensive about someone "laying a hand on her" and Agnes thinks he's talking about her, but no - he's talking about the truck. Also the one where (late chapter 1)Walter shows up, and you think there's going to be some reveal about serious past drama between him and Van, but it turns out that Van is just pissed off that Walter totaled his old truck. I also like the vibe of Van chaperoning these kids around in his truck. Curious how this is going to work with more party members - will the next party member get to sit up front with Van, or will they somehow squeeze into the back? Will party members after that have their own transportation, or will we end up with 7-8 (or however many) people all crammed into Van's pickup truck?

That being said, the other protagonists also have their own hobbies (as some others mentioned). Rean grew on me, and I think he has a pretty distinct personality from Lloyd (and more obviously Estelle). Van just works a bit better because you get an understanding about the life he had already established prior to the beginning of the games.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 30, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

You know what.
I give up on power levels.
S breaks are god drat loving canon, nothing in this world makes sense anymore.
Gaius can truly just summon a building sized spear powered by God whenever he pleases and people can apparently just deal with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

You know what.
Gaius can truly just summon a building sized spear powered by God whenever he pleases and people can apparently just deal with that.

Isn't that basically the entire point? Dude is literally one of a small group of people literally gifted by God with absurd power.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kuro explicitly reveals that it's possible for a human to carry (and toss) an entire truck with one arm with training and/or orbments

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't that basically the entire point? Dude is literally one of a small group of people literally gifted by God with absurd power.

But where do they draw the line?
Does Tita truly have an Orbalital Space Laser she is constantly choosing to not use?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

technically it's just a high altitude laser

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

But where do they draw the line?
Does Tita truly have an Orbalital Space Laser she is constantly choosing to not use?

For most of those things the assumption is that the Big Fuckoff Super Weapon is something that takes a lot out of you or takes a while to charge or whatnot. You can't use it regularly, it is the big fuckoff gun you pull out when everything else goes to hell.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

MythosDragon posted:

You know what.

Didn't Sky SC already drop this little nugget when they revealed that yes, Tita was carrying a gattling gun and several hundreds of rounds of ballistic ammo on her tiny 12-year old person all this time? :P

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Didn't Sky SC already drop this little nugget when they revealed that yes, Tita was carrying a gattling gun and several hundreds of rounds of ballistic ammo on her tiny 12-year old person all this time? :P

Yeah, in Chapter 8, during the Orbal Shutdown Phenomenon.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am at the point where Estelle joins and I am surprised how much I am liking Sky 3rd.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

You know what.

It's charmingly quaint to consider how Estelle's S-Crafts are 1) Hit thing with stick a million times 2) Hit thing with stick a million times while spinning around it.

Sometimes you just gotta keep things simple :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I am at the point where Estelle joins and I am surprised how much I am liking Sky 3rd.

Why are you surprised?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why are you surprised?

Mostly in how focused everything feels, though I want to finish or mostly finish the game first to see if my thoughts still hold before I elaborate if that makes sense.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sky 3rd is one of the best ones and nobody should be surprised that they are liking it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Based on the fact that half the fandom says "it's completely skippable" and the fact that its structure is vastly different from all the other Trails games, I can understand being surprised by how good it is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Calling 3rd skippable is entirely cope from when people were convinced SC was going to maybe someday come out and that's be the last Trails game to get an official English release.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Motto posted:

Calling 3rd skippable is entirely cope from when people were convinced SC was going to maybe someday come out and that's be the last Trails game to get an official English release.

Can confirm.

Thanks again SpaceDrake, I will never forget how much you did for us.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean it is entirely skippable…the same way Sky FC/SC are. poo poo, I feel like if you’re playing Zero you get significantly more out of just playing/reading an LP of Third than the first two games.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean anything is skippable. My fiirst game was CS1, I'd skipped 5 games and its ok. But I don't think that's what people mean when talking about TC.

However, from my perspective 3rd is a really good game and everyone playing through the series should go through it because its one of the best in the series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah you can still jump into whatever arc of course, I just mean in the sense that people still get the idea that it's a nothing game or an outright spinoff due to what were just reassurances that SC doesn't have a big cliffhanger.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean anything is skippable. My fiirst game was CS1, I'd skipped 5 games and its ok. But I don't think that's what people mean when talking about TC.

However, from my perspective 3rd is a really good game and everyone playing through the series should go through it because its one of the best in the series.

To be fair CS1 was basically designed as an alternate entry into the series. So that's not that surprising.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: actually nevermind, this does not seem as bad as I thought

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 31, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I'm near the end of Chapter 2 of Kuro now. This is the best chapter yet, such a good game.

One really nice feature in this is that NPCs only show up on the minimap if you haven't exhausted their dialogue. Makes it really easy to talk to everyone (which isn't something I did consistently in past games). I also feel like the NPC dialogue is generally better. There are fewer NPCs, but it's easier to keep track of them (and the chapters are structured such that time is passing over a couple days, so you can follow the NPCs over that time).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And I am back to thinking the Sky 3rd fishing door is pure bullshit

EDIT: this loving baron cheats

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 31, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TC fishing is just very bad

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel like you could broadly apply that to fishing as a whole, I’m gonna do all the fishing in Azure because Lakelord can bite a big one but the battle system design people and the fishing game people really need to be on the same page and make it so A: drops aren’t mutually exclusive and B: make the baits drop at like 75% minimum.

I do like how the “rank down, start from the beginning again” thing was done narratively at least, ”one of our members was a devil worshipper who tortured children and condoned the sexual abuse of prepubescent children for blackmail money, also he pretty much caused one of the top 20 most infamous days in Zemuria’s history, we should take a sabbatical” even if maybe they shouldn’t feel complicit, it’s realistic to feel guilty about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cold Steel fishing is good.

Another reason why CS is the best

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally beat the Baron, and even then he managed to get a big fish on round 15 and the only reason I won was because I already lucked into a substantial lead at that point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Cold Steel fishing is good.

Another reason why CS is the best

Probably should have clarified pre-CS fishing yeah.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think I'm near the end of Chapter 2 of Kuro now. This is the best chapter yet, such a good game.

One really nice feature in this is that NPCs only show up on the minimap if you haven't exhausted their dialogue. Makes it really easy to talk to everyone (which isn't something I did consistently in past games). I also feel like the NPC dialogue is generally better. There are fewer NPCs, but it's easier to keep track of them (and the chapters are structured such that time is passing over a couple days, so you can follow the NPCs over that time).

Don't worry, Chapter 3 will sour your opinion of the game. Thankfully it gets better after that but yeah, Tharbad sucks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Don't worry, Chapter 3 will sour your opinion of the game. Thankfully it gets better after that but yeah, Tharbad sucks.

From a story perspective or a gameplay one?

At least the first third of the chapter will be the stuff in the capital that's always fun.

BTW, gameplay question - what fills up the S-Boost meter? I can't figure out what makes it increase the most. Sometimes it'll suddenly gain like 2-3 bars, and I always miss why.

Offensive arts also seem worse in this, maybe compensating for how OP they were in the later Cold Steel games. The new Earth Guard Art is pretty ridiculous, though. Free 1000hp party-wide shield with an almost-instant cast time. Whoever has that equipped can become a mini-Jusis.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

BTW, gameplay question - what fills up the S-Boost meter? I can't figure out what makes it increase the most. Sometimes it'll suddenly gain like 2-3 bars, and I always miss why.
Hitting and being hit. You're probably missing the AT Bonus that gives you two free gauges?

Ytlaya posted:

Offensive arts also seem worse in this, maybe compensating for how OP they were in the later Cold Steel games. The new Earth Guard Art is pretty ridiculous, though. Free 1000hp party-wide shield with an almost-instant cast time. Whoever has that equipped can become a mini-Jusis.
Get the Arc Feather Shard skill and Arts will become ridiculous.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Unlucky7 posted:

Finally beat the Baron, and even then he managed to get a big fish on round 15 and the only reason I won was because I already lucked into a substantial lead at that point.

I always found the Baron cheated out bigger fish if I was doing well, so my strategy ended up being to save all my bait fishes until the end.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

There are AT-bonuses that restore 2 S-Boost charges and they tend to appear pretty often. Aside from that it's just hitting/killing enemies and breaking stuff on the overworld.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cyouni posted:

I always found the Baron cheated out bigger fish if I was doing well, so my strategy ended up being to save all my bait fishes until the end.

This might track with my experience? It only took me a couple of tries, and I think all I did was reverse the order I used my stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
If I need specific bait/rod combinations for fishing, I use guides. Especially when bait is hard to acquire (monster drops). In this case, the guide for Second Chapter's fishing works for Sky the 3rd as well because they're the same spots. With that guide, it's not difficult to know what fish are available and how to make the most of your bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Hitting and being hit. You're probably missing the AT Bonus that gives you two free gauges?

Get the Arc Feather Shard skill and Arts will become ridiculous.

Oh, that's what that thing is! I've been wondering what that bonus does, but it's kind of obvious now that you mention it.

Edit: This does raise the question of how to reasonably take advantage of the S-Boost slot increase over the course of a battle. The game says "you can now use a bunch of S-Crafts back to back!" but in practice it doesn't seem practical to fill up 5+ bars unless you get lucky with the AT Bonuses. I feel like it would take like 6-7 turns just to fill up a single bar; they barely increase when I attack. Also, why would I care about using S-Crafts back-to-back? Why not just use one as soon as I get enough S-Boost slots?

Edit: I also hear they fix this in Kuro 2, but the AT bar is so loving bad and confusing in this. You'd need to go up to your TV with a ruler to figure out the actual turn-order from that thing, beyond just the next turn (which is marked). Not a big deal since the game isn't too hard (I'm on Hard - I kind of recommend this difficulty because Normal must be extremely easy, since I've only lost one fight due to a dumb mistake). I think this is partly because S-Crafts seem much better and can be used more often. Van's S-Craft (which is always only 100CP in this) hits at least twice as hard as any other Arts/Crafts, and his CP fills pretty fast. I actually frequently use his S-Craft in larger trash mobs fights, since it's far more efficient than dealing with them in any other way (and this game throws CP-restoring food at you constantly + you can buy them for cheap at stores).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 31, 2023