Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That Alex guy, that quit, is making a cheeky comment, which in turn was liked by that Tim.

https://twitter.com/Aprime/status/1697074857224417368

Ze plot thickens…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

really? I figured they’d be mad at him for causing Linus all of this obviously undeserved drama

The undeserved drama came from viewers who have ears and understand words.

I'm being facetious and it's not as clearcut but most seem unhappy that he was let go (or left or whatever)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

We’re here to prove we’re not a terribly toxic work environment by firing a low level employee after we allowed him to represent our company on camera without any sort of editorial oversight which ultimately brought to attention larger systemic top-down issues that exist in our company.

Yeah, you'd think they'd at least have a "don't poo poo talk" or "don't name-drop while poo poo talking" policy. Maybe they do and this is the consequence but I'm leaning to "our employees are free to gently caress around and find out" as per the "trust me bro" level of preparedness they have for everything.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

:lmao:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Wasn't Tim the guy on the cooled bed video?

Also in case you wanted more confirmation

https://twitter.com/Aprime/status/1697105471864492225

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They fired some guy who made an off-hand comment. It was misinformed but ultimately harmless.

yeah this looks pretty bad in its own right

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Ignis posted:

Also in case you wanted more confirmation

https://twitter.com/Aprime/status/1697118156710711541?s=20

Uh oh

e. He's popping off on Reddit https://reddit.com/u/Aprime_MOV/

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 31, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Ok Comboomer posted:

you guys will like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7C-hpibr4

go into it blind

Booo, if it isn't live steam (ie working miniature steam engines) I'm not interested.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just :lol: if they are trying to use Tim as a fall guy for all of this. LMG employees need a union yesterday.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xakura posted:

Booo, if it isn't live steam (ie working miniature steam engines) I'm not interested.

IIRC the train they ride is a live steam to electric conversion, they mention some steam trains there

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Good lord if they fired that one guy for an offhanded comment that was obviously just some snarky BS and not actual loving lies like the owner of the company spouts on camera on the reg then.. well, that's pretty messed up.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Ok Comboomer posted:

IIRC the train they ride is a live steam to electric conversion, they mention some steam trains there

Sincerely doubt that, live steam is $$$, you wouldn't convert that. He called it "gas powered", I imagine it was a lawn mover engine type deal.

Going back to the video, it's a model of a diesel locomotive, that thing never had steam

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So did someone give Linus a line by line playbook of what to do in an event like this, and then he just scratched off like every third line and replaced it with the opposite?

He keeps getting close to the right path but somehow never gets on it.

If this company is a similar size next year I'll be shocked. I don't see anyway they move forward without first cutting Linus out of leadership entirely.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bondematt posted:

He keeps getting close to the right path but somehow never gets on it.

Path is blocked by huge ego... does not compute.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is this latest move LTT Labs trying to sacrifice virgins to appease tech Jesus?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I still want GN_Steve to trade haircare tips with John Romero

e: Unrelated, at the beginning of all this, someone wondered what happened about Level1Techs and Wendell when it was still Tek Syndicate and there was that other douchey dude Logan involved. I did some digging and apparently about six years ago, Logan was somewhat into race science poo poo and went on a rampage where he tried to single-handedly coup the Tek Syndicate infrastructure and failed, during which there was a video wherein Wendell literally blinked out "HELP" in morse code. After all this poo poo Wendell left, Logan was outed as having mishandled the organization's funds, Logan fired basically everyone who wasn't a "true believer" type, and Wendell started L1T while Tek Syndicate died.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 31, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUeZQ3pky-w

Steve spending months of work and $10k on arguing with YouTube commenters. Kinda relatable, tbh

"we actually have Friday benchmark parties where we stare at the GTA V benchmark loop run for 95 minutes"
is... he throwing shade on Linus again? lmao

I always wondered about this, since binning for overclocking used to make such a huge difference. Neat. I remember trying to push my 8400k and checking others' results to see if I won the lottery (I didn't, but also probably wouldn't have made a noticeable difference for anything I was doing).

Literally anything GN puts out is going to be interpreted as a reference to LTT for a while now, so eh. Doesn't help that Steve's entire demeanor is sarcastic.

Kazinsal posted:

Wendell literally blinked out "HELP" in morse code.

Lol, of course Wendell would do that. Must have sucked to be caught up in.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 31, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's a good thing none of us ITT were remotely expecting LMG to actually get their poo poo together in the week they took off from making videos, otherwise we'd probably be feeling pretty darn silly right about now :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
MLID covered the LTT situation in his latest "Broken Silicon" podcast from today. He and his co-host were mostly supportive of the criticisms coming from GN, and believed the allegations coming from Madison.

I think the most substantive thing said in the segment was that there was already a point sometime in the last year (or more?) where LTT was catching flak for their bad technical competency in their reviews, and MLID remarked that he'd seen some improvement on the back of it, and then "it went to poo poo again", and he brought it up because he wondered if, in the wake of LTT's response to this, as to whether the same thing is going to happen where it'll be good for a couple months before turning bad again because nobody's looking anymore and the process starts slipping again.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shorn of any context of what's actually going on behind the scenes, the comment about people being on camera without any kind of media training is 100% valid. Knowing you are on camera to an audience - let alone an audience over 1 million, will make your brain do and say incredibly stupid things if you don't have the training or experience. Sometimes those things can be inflammatory, derogatory, or even seem bigoted or prejudiced. None of this necessarily means anything about the actual character of the person floundering on-stage. I think it is the responsibility of editors to make the right judgement calls and edit out content that is clearly someone's brain fitzing out due to stage fright. You won't believe the things people say out of self-conscious anxiety as soon as they know they're presenting to audience. I've edited radio before and had to edit out all kinds of wild poo poo from well-meaning people who are not used to the pressures speaking on-mic.

I mean I'm not giving anyone at LTT a pass here. I have no idea what they're like as people. But it's true that the version of you that presents to camera doesn't really give a good guide on who you are, and people shouldn't read the tea leaves on that. All it really signifies is that an editor made the stupid decision to leave that stuff in and that producers didn't adequately prep people for presenting to camera.

edit: just to labour the point a little, a really important part of media literacy that always gets lost when there's a big controversy like this is that the finished shows are not some candid fly on the wall footage. It's a carefully curated selection of clips boiled down from what might have been hours (or days) of filming. You don't need much footage before you can use it to create literally any narrative you want. This is also how reality TV works. My point being, the tone of a piece says more about editorial than it does about the people presenting to camera, like 90% of the time.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 31, 2023

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

I still want GN_Steve to trade haircare tips with John Romero

With each other? They both independently achieved perfection, they should be sharing that poo poo with us.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Wasn't it Tim who said the WAN show streak wouldn't be broken?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
man, even cool videos like the last gn one is getting ltt fanboys commenting and saying all kinds of nonsense on reddit. not great pr for lmg either to have those mouthbreathers post outside of the subreddit

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

if intel or amd's QC was so poor that having that many CPUs to test was actually necessary, steve burke would probably be working on a video series with such indignation that the previous bad manufacturer videos could not even compare

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

MLID covered the LTT situation in his latest "Broken Silicon" podcast from today. He and his co-host were mostly supportive of the criticisms coming from GN, and believed the allegations coming from Madison.

I think the most substantive thing said in the segment was that there was already a point sometime in the last year (or more?) where LTT was catching flak for their bad technical competency in their reviews, and MLID remarked that he'd seen some improvement on the back of it, and then "it went to poo poo again", and he brought it up because he wondered if, in the wake of LTT's response to this, as to whether the same thing is going to happen where it'll be good for a couple months before turning bad again because nobody's looking anymore and the process starts slipping again.
If they can't spot abberant data in their testing, I don't think anyone should be hopeful for them spotting when their own processes start failing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Grumbles posted:

Shorn of any context of what's actually going on behind the scenes, the comment about people being on camera without any kind of media training is 100% valid. Knowing you are on camera to an audience - let alone an audience over 1 million, will make your brain do and say incredibly stupid things if you don't have the training or experience. Sometimes those things can be inflammatory, derogatory, or even seem bigoted or prejudiced. None of this necessarily means anything about the actual character of the person floundering on-stage. I think it is the responsibility of editors to make the right judgement calls and edit out content that is clearly someone's brain fitzing out due to stage fright. You won't believe the things people say out of self-conscious anxiety as soon as they know they're presenting to audience. I've edited radio before and had to edit out all kinds of wild poo poo from well-meaning people who are not used to the pressures speaking on-mic.

I mean I'm not giving anyone at LTT a pass here. I have no idea what they're like as people. But it's true that the version of you that presents to camera doesn't really give a good guide on who you are, and people shouldn't read the tea leaves on that. All it really signifies is that an editor made the stupid decision to leave that stuff in and that producers didn't adequately prep people for presenting to camera.

edit: just to labour the point a little, a really important part of media literacy that always gets lost when there's a big controversy like this is that the finished shows are not some candid fly on the wall footage. It's a carefully curated selection of clips boiled down from what might have been hours (or days) of filming. You don't need much footage before you can use it to create literally any narrative you want. This is also how reality TV works. My point being, the tone of a piece says more about editorial than it does about the people presenting to camera, like 90% of the time.
The clip that sparked the whole incident was made and published by someone outside the LMG so they had no editorial control over that.

What they should've done though is make sure the tour is done by employees that are properly trained, because "don't talk poo poo about your competitors publicly" is like the #1 rule of any PR or marketing that gets drilled into you. I've been on many tours like that and for example Boeing during a factory tour doesn't tell you how their planes are carefully assembled unlike Airbus planes that are made by trained monkeys.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

really? I figured they’d be mad at him for causing Linus all of this obviously undeserved drama

No, they're now made at Steve for daring to not reach out to Linus first before talking about the Billet Labs situation, which means that everything else he said is LIES LIES drat DIRTY LIES FROM AN UNSCRUPULOUS LIER! From what I've seen, basically "How dare Steve tell everyone about how bad LMG is! How dare he punch down at the poor, poor multi-million dollar company for constantly churning out videos with false information and massive amounts of pressure on their staff. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes!". At least that's all you'll see because anyone actually defending Steve/GN gets down voted to oblivion.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah. After Ian Cutress, doctor of philosophy in chemistry from oxford university, published his 90 minute video, Linus stan's have all latched on to his critiques of Steve's video and have completely dismissed GN as upstart jealous bullies.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

kliras posted:

man, even cool videos like the last gn one is getting ltt fanboys commenting and saying all kinds of nonsense on reddit. not great pr for lmg either to have those mouthbreathers post outside of the subreddit

It's basically plausible deniability for LMG, if you discount the fact that Linus has actively cultivated a parasocial relationship with his fanbase over the years. He can claim he never directly told the fanbase to act in a toxic manner (even as they make the Rick and Morty fanbase look stable and dignified in comparison).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Linus waking up every morning this month
https://imgur.com/ovrs4vd

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

idk how to embed it sry

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yeah. After Ian Cutress, doctor of philosophy in chemistry from oxford university, published his 90 minute video, Linus stan's have all latched on to his critiques of Steve's video and have completely dismissed GN as upstart jealous bullies.

Cutress jumped the shark with that vid, what a buffoon. :rolleyes:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Man they just can't not lie, even about the most easily disproven poo poo.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

oof I called it

beep by grandpa posted:

how fired is this dude?

While funny, I do feel some sympathy for this dude bc I feel it is a massively cowardly act to fire this dork when LMG's m.o., for a year now, seems to be to not mention steve or his channel by name anymore. They just needed a scapegoat and they took the easiest one.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

beep by grandpa posted:

oof I called it

While funny, I do feel some sympathy for this dude bc I feel it is a massively cowardly act to fire this dork when LMG's m.o., for a year now, seems to be to not mention steve or his channel by name anymore. They just needed a scapegoat and they took the easiest one.

There are people in those Alex Potvin/APrime reddit threads literally claiming "well actually we don't know that he was fired or laid off" and "he (and/or Alex P.) might have just quit because of all the harassment that people are currently giving LMG employees" :rolleyes:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Firing that guy is pretty cowardly, it really sends the message that he thinks the only thing he did wrong was draw the ire of Steve.

I think there's only one way Linus can win back the public's trust at this point: shave his beard in penance. Also unionize his workforce.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Nice Van My Man posted:

unionize his workforce.

Or maybe, and hear me out... pizza party. Every Friday.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

Firing that guy is pretty cowardly, it really sends the message that he thinks the only thing he did wrong was draw the ire of Steve.

I think there's only one way Linus can win back the public's trust at this point: shave his beard in penance. Also unionize his workforce.

Linus will shave all the workers as punishment for their non belief in him and he will then unionise with his wife (available live on Floatplane!)... while Luke provides the commentary. :sickos:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

How much you think Linus paid him?

beep by grandpa posted:

oof I called it

Honestly, he probably dodged a bigger bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

c355n4 posted:

How much you think Linus paid him?

Bold of you to assume that dr potato even entertained the thought of taking payment for whatever the gently caress it was that he was trying to do