Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Barrican Arena, Backstage

Korrigath

Lux Anima posted:

"What~?!?" she offered, collecting the [Unbroken Vermik Collar] from Mr. DeLawney even as the Barrican Arena staff tried to force the genteel tuk and his protective pair of hounds from interacting with the backstage areas any further.

Seauffer showed the torn and bloodied beast collar to Korrigath, a little stunned by the timing of everything.

"That was Percy, he was - I'll have to introduce you later..." Seauffer said, suddenly planning social gatherings in her head, "We found this on a vermik at the farm..."

> Seauffer is allowing Korrigath to take the lead.

The bookish Tuur was nothing if not quick on the uptake, hands already sketching the unusual find as he verbally touched upon the oddity of the matter.

"A Collar, on a Vermik? Most unusual. They're not exactly domesticable, from what I've seen. Hmm... I do wonder if those collared vermik were originally what was intended for today's main event. As I mentioned, I was amongst those the Arena hired to acquire the ones we ended up fighting, so if there was a mishap in transit necessitating that short notice monster hunt... But I am speculating. Let me introduce you to Remmvi, who was in charge of that venture."

So saying, the Tuur used his full height to try and track down the Arena Tuk, thence to guide his fellow combatant her way, to show her the collar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
=======================
=== BARRICAN ARENA ====
=======================

Darcy posted:

Absentmindedly he looked to his side and saw, Emelle and Mirielle Meary hanging out in the high seats too.
"'Ere!" He called over, gesturing with the peanuts in his hands. "Didn't expect to see you two again so soon, hows things going on your end?"

Emelle quickly catches sight of the familiar face and waves in return. "Ey! Small world, isn't it? Come on over, I've got an extra spot 'ere and it's not like I can come to you," she guffaws. Once everyone is settled (Mirielle gives you a nod and small wave) the three of you speak a bit, with Emelle doing most of the talking. After an exhange of pleasantries and current events you trade some banter about the fighters.

Emelle's interest picks up as the Helknights make their appearance, but in the tense moment after the second helknight is downed and the solcrystal is used, she suddenly bursts out laughing. "Ha! Ha ha ha! They hosed it royally!" She claps her hands in glee, earning a few hard looks and hisses from some nearby. She elbows Darcy in the ribs and points to the glimmering light far down on the sands. "They aren't supossed to use that! Those little baubles are rare, and worth more than ten men make in a year. They're for emergencies only. Guess they didn't want the crowd to see 'em bleed." Her mirth gradually subsides as the hellion is dispatched. She sighs at the speech and the thunderous applause that follows, rolling her eyes sarcastically. "Aye, sure, we can't live without the Empire and all that... You know, I lived in a west-central province once and had a Helknight as a beau. He taught me a few things.. And left me this-" She punches Mirielle playfully in the shoulder. The younger woman grimaces in exasperation and raises her fist, but doesn't hit back. She leans around her mother and fixes Darcy with a droll, deadpan stare. "..She'll also say my father was a Magistrate. Or a legionary captain. Or a treecutter."

Emelle shrugs, unbothered. "Well, one of 'em's right. Or hell, maybe all of them. Lesson to learn here is; don't trust roadside alchemists." She smiles sunnily at her daughter, eyes crinkled up in mirth. "But love, of all my mistakes, I'd make you all over again."

---------------------------------

Korrigath posted:

"A Collar, on a Vermik? Most unusual.[...] Let me introduce you to Remmvi, who was in charge of that venture."
So saying, the Tuur used his full height to try and track down the Arena Tuk, thence to guide his fellow combatant her way, to show her the collar.

It takes a little, but eventually you catch Remmvi passing through the room you are in. She turns with a smile to answer your hail, though her demeanor suggests she still has a lot to do, even though the games are ended.

"Eya, Korrigath!" She clicks her teeth. "You are doing wonderfully out there today!" She turns to Seauffer. "And.. Well." She searches for something into say, and eventually just sighs, patting the other Tuk on the arm.

"So, are you needing something? Has the paymaster seen to you?"

((Please give some narration for your responses))

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Gravedust posted:

Emelle quickly catches sight of the familiar face and waves in return. "Ey! Small world, isn't it? Come on over, I've got an extra spot 'ere and it's not like I can come to you," she guffaws. Once everyone is settled (Mirielle gives you a nod and small wave) the three of you speak a bit, with Emelle doing most of the talking. After an exhange of pleasantries and current events you trade some banter about the fighters.

Emelle's interest picks up as the Helknights make their appearance, but in the tense moment after the second helknight is downed and the solcrystal is used, she suddenly bursts out laughing. "Ha! Ha ha ha! They hosed it royally!" She claps her hands in glee, earning a few hard looks and hisses from some nearby. She elbows Darcy in the ribs and points to the glimmering light far down on the sands. "They aren't supposed to use that! Those little baubles are rare, and worth more than ten men make in a year. They're for emergencies only. Guess they didn't want the crowd to see 'em bleed." Her mirth gradually subsides as the hellion is dispatched. She sighs at the speech and the thunderous applause that follows, rolling her eyes sarcastically. "Aye, sure, we can't live without the Empire and all that... You know, I lived in a west-central province once and had a Helknight as a beau. He taught me a few things.. And left me this-" She punches Mirielle playfully in the shoulder. The younger woman grimaces in exasperation and raises her fist, but doesn't hit back. She leans around her mother and fixes Darcy with a droll, deadpan stare. "..She'll also say my father was a Magistrate. Or a legionary captain. Or a treecutter."

Emelle shrugs, unbothered. "Well, one of 'em's right. Or hell, maybe all of them. Lesson to learn here is; don't trust roadside alchemists." She smiles sunnily at her daughter, eyes crinkled up in mirth. "But love, of all my mistakes, I'd make you all over again."

Darcy smiled, he never knew what his own folks were to tell the truth, once upon a time he thought that maybe he was a secret king and he'd get to inherit his birth right and be whisked away from poverty on a grand string of adventure. Things didn't turn out that way though, but seeing mother and daughter who were happy to be in each other's company was something he liked to see when he saw it, he'd seen enough broken homes and orphans for a lifetime.

The Hellion though, there was a dangerous gleam in Darcy's eyes as he watched it manhandle the two knights arranged against it before they used the 'solcrystal', it was the look of someone sizing up how he'd do in a fight against one. "That Hellion thing, is that kind of what they are all like at a sorta base level, or was that one just a particularly mean bugger they brought in so they could show off to the crowd?"

"I could also use some more good honest work to cut my teeth on if you know about any work coming up." Darcy decided not to put verbal quote marks around the 'honest' part since they were in public.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Remmvi posted:

"Eya, Korrigath!" She clicks her teeth. "You are doing wonderfully out there today!" She turns to Seauffer. "And.. Well." She searches for something into say, and eventually just sighs, patting the other Tuk on the arm.

"So, are you needing something? Has the paymaster seen to you?"

“I can see that you’re busy, so we’ll be brief. Seauffer here and her associates found a real oddity whilst outriding: A Vermik wearing a collar. It struck me you might well be qualified to shed some light on such a thing. Anything you can tell us?” Asked the Tuur, gesturing for the other outrider to show Remmvi the item in question, whilst preparing to scribe the details.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Seauffer Leuppah - [ BARRICAN ARENA, BACKSTAGE ]

Remmvi had given a sigh and patted the other Tuk on the arm.

"So, are you needing something? Has the paymaster seen to you?" she asked.

"Yeah, I got it here..." Seauffer murmured, eyes downcast.

"I just..." Seauffer blurted hesitantly.

Seauffer had gotten past her tears from before and had been ready to tear into whoever was the main offender here today, but she wasn't ready to insult a kindly Tuk matron to her face, beastmaster or no.

"Er, this collar - you reck'nize these cords?" Seauffer asked, revealing the scuffed cuff. "Got any idears on how we might be findin' these abroad?"

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 20, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===== [ CLEARING THE CISTERNS ] =====

Once it becomes evident that the beetles do not appear apt to venture past the confines of their cavern area, the group takes a moment to collect themselves, and heads to the exit in an organized manner. Kocho takes a few extra few moments to perform several small rituals, blessing and gathering the waters from the cisterns various pools.

With that done, there is little else to accomplish other than head back to the guard.
The group makes it's way back up the narrow entrance tunnel and after closing and carefully relocking the gate, finds itself in the alley they began their mission in, the westwall towering over them. Emerging onto the main street looking bedraggled, bloodied, and in some cases wet or covered with dirt, they catch more than a few glances as they move.

((Kocho gains +20 Nauvuan Devotion))]

Before they have gone more than about half a block, however, a young, pleasant-looking young man detaches himself from the buildingfront he has been leaning against and approaches the group. He clears his throat.

"Good afternoon, you're the ones who went down into the cistern on behalf of the guards, right?" He eyes the group. "Looks like you had a rough time of it... In any case, I'm guessing you were furnished with a key to the grate, aye? If you'd like to make a little extra coin for no extra work. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me see that key for a moment, I won't play foolie-games with you, I'll say right now I mean to make a copy of it. Don't worry, it won't leave my hands, or your sight, I've got a waxbox right here to make a mold. And don't worry, it won't get back to you. You've seen for yourself there's nothing down there worth taking. It's just, the people I work for, like being able to get places when they need to. And you can never quite tell when or where you might need to go. They like to stay prepared. But like as not it'll never get used." The young man smiles reasonably. "So let's help each other, aye?"

quote:

A: Don't let him copy the key. It was entrusted to us, and who know what he really wants with it. We can decide later whether to report the attempt or not.
B: Let him copy the key He makes some good point. ..And the gold would be welcome. ((Each character will gain $15, and 5 Flint Street Rep.))
C: Something else Let me know.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Daeron Stormborne - [Clearing the Cisterns]

“We all could use some extra cash, I have heard of the folks he is talking of. They are often at odds with the Government, but they aren’t enemies of the citizens.”

Vote: B

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Kocho cocks her head.

'I will agree if you make an exsstra key for our own use - the water down there is so fresssssh and clear, I would like to be able to return to make there my devotionsss to Nauvuan...

And speaking of which, your friends that like to be prepared - we have sssome information about the sssituation down there, perhappsss that would be worth ssome sssmall conssideration?'

B/C, and see if we can get paid for a sssscouting report about the beetleswarm.

occluded fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 21, 2023

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Nell - Clearing the Cisterns

Nell's eyes light up at the opportunity to curry favor. "Hullo hullo, I'm- ...pleased to make your acquaintance!" Naive even as she is, Nell has at least read enough crime novels to know that this isn't exactly the time or place to make introductions and get to know each other on a first name basis.

Vote: B, let's get in good with the shady sorts

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Xelek - Clearing the Cisterns

Xelek blinks slowly at the proposal, first one set of eyelids, then the other. He shakes his head.

"The key is not ours to give. Lyiriyl favors your goals, I am sure, but your ruse is forthright and obvious. The method of the sacrament is as important as its making. I apologize, but I cannot fall for it."

Vote A

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
=======================
=== BARRICAN ARENA ====
=======================

Darcy posted:

"That Hellion thing, is that kind of what they are all like at a sorta base level, or was that one just a particularly mean bugger they brought in so they could show off to the crowd?"
Emelle scratches her chin. "Well.. It depends.. They come as small as a big dog, to..." She points to the Soltower that rises high above the city, visible even over the walls of the arena. "..big enough to break cities, which is why we've got that. But all sizes, all shapes. The one just now is the third I've ever seen, but the first one I've seen alive. When they die they go all to ashes except for their bones, and even those crumble away after a time. But before that happens they parade the corpses around. To make people feel safe, I guess."

Darcy posted:

"I could also use some more good honest work to cut my teeth on if you know about any work coming up."

Emelle grins. "Not as yet, but I'll keep you in mind if there's anything. To be honest I don't get up to much besides mucking about in the Barrows, and it's usually not as exciting as the last trip. If I get the kind of thing you're asking about, you might want to head to Lucky's Tavern or Xek's Dicehall, down by the factories. Just to make yourself known, get those people used to you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korrigath posted:

“I can see that you’re busy, so we’ll be brief. Seauffer here and her associates found a real oddity whilst outriding: A Vermik wearing a collar. It struck me you might well be qualified to shed some light on such a thing. Anything you can tell us?”

Seauffer posted:

"Er, this collar - you reck'nize these cords?" Seauffer asked, revealing the scuffed cuff. "Got any idears on how we might be findin' these abroad?"
Remmvi takes the collar, turns it over in her hands and sniffs it. "Well. All creatures that are owned must be having some mark of ownership; this is being Imperial law. It is bothersome, but if you can be imagining; a poorly-trained beast breaks loose, bites people, does damage. The owner must be found so they can be held to account. This extends even to the beasts we capture and are fighting here. Even they have collars, or brands, or we are paying a fine." She wrinkles her nose. "I wish it was not being a law, it is a tricky business getting collars and marks on sometimes, you can be trusting me. So.. This collar, I think you are right in thinking is it coming from an Arena. But it is not being this one.. Here.. I'll be showing you.."

She beckons you to follow and scurries through a number of rooms; you realize you are traveling about a quarter of the circumference of the arena through connected, arching chambers built into it's walls. You come into a large room tinged with the sickly smell of blood and traces of rot; the creatures slaughtered in the games have been collected here; the sand serpents lay stretched out into straight lines, and the boars are already hung and being bled, it appears they will soon begin the process of being butchered at long wooden tables.

The deceased vermik have been piled against a wall, and a sour-looking attendant is in the process of loading the heavy, limp carcasses into a cart, one by one. Next to the pile is a much smaller pile of woven collars, having apparently been removed from each of the dead beasts so they can be reused. Remmvi clicks her teeth. "Here we are.." She grabs a few of them and hops back to Seauffer and Korrigath. Upon examination, each of the ones she picked up are roughly identical in make, but have a different material and stitching from the one you brought in.

"See, it is being different than the ones we use. So I am thinking it is from somewhere else.. The two closest Arenas besides us are in Halys, and Dias Calle. So far as I am knowing, beastfighting is outlawed in Dias Calle, so it is probably not being there." Remmvi hands back the collar you gave her. "I hope that is helping some."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gravedust posted:

Emelle scratches her chin. "Well.. It depends.. They come as small as a big dog, to..." She points to the Soltower that rises high above the city, visible even over the walls of the arena. "..big enough to break cities, which is why we've got that. But all sizes, all shapes. The one just now is the third I've ever seen, but the first one I've seen alive. When they die they go all to ashes except for their bones, and even those crumble away after a time. But before that happens they parade the corpses around. To make people feel safe, I guess."

"Interesting, maybe I'll keep an eye out if the Hellboys have any work going in the future. I've always wanted to try kicking the crap out of something bigger than me."

Gravedust posted:

Emelle grins. "Not as yet, but I'll keep you in mind if there's anything. To be honest I don't get up to much besides mucking about in the Barrows, and it's usually not as exciting as the last trip. If I get the kind of thing you're asking about, you might want to head to Lucky's Tavern or Xek's Dicehall, down by the factories. Just to make yourself known, get those people used to you."

"I've heard of those places around the block a little and I was interested I won't lie, though right now I got about..." He pulls out the pouch he keeps on his inside jersey pocket, opens it and peers inside, his lips moved while he counted. "About $8, I admit most of my pay-out went to new equipment for the next run, figured if I was gonna be professional I gotta get some professional hardware right?"

"But if you say that's the best way to get the feelers out, I should be able to get at least a few nights there before I venture out."

>Darcy will take up lodgings in Lucky's Tavern at the next opportunity for $6

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

It was a rare privilege to see this much of the hidden parts of the Arena, and the Intavatni devotee was sure to make the most of it, sketching, scribing, taking copious notes, both about what Remmvi was saying and about what was happening, meat not going to waste and the unpalatable being disposed. Details and differences in collar designs as well.

"Thank you, Remmvi, most useful and informative. Seauffer, whereabouts were your people outriding, in relation to Halys?"

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Seauffer Leuppah - [ BARRICAN ARENA, BACKSTAGE ]

Seauffer knew to keep her yap shut when she was seeing behind the scenes of something bigger than herself. Her previously-teary eyes dried from how wide she kept them during her impromptu tour of the offal pits under the Barrican Arena.

The kindly beastmistress even took Seauffer and Korrigath straight to their collar collection, to compare cords:

Remmvi posted:

"See, it is being different than the ones we use. So I am thinking it is from somewhere else.. The two closest Arenas besides us are in Halys, and Dias Calle. So far as I am knowing, beastfighting is outlawed in Dias Calle, so it is probably not being there." Remmvi hands back the collar you gave her. "I hope that is helping some."

"Halys, that'd be..." Seauffer paused, trying to summon up a rough mental map of the region in her mind, "north of the Pasturelands, which're north of here, yea?"

Once this geography quiz was quickly confirmed by her present peers, Seauffer then thanked Remmvi and Korrigath for their time and all their help, and asked to be brought to the backstage exit. She had to tell Percy this new discovery, for whatever good it might bring.

> RP-Fast-Forward: please assume Seauffer has filled in Percival DeLawney before the Three Candles Celebration, thanks!

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Kocho posted:

"I will agree if you make an exsstra key for our own use - the water down there is so fresssssh and clear, I would like to be able to return to make there my devotionsss to Nauvuan...

And speaking of which, your friends that like to be prepared - we have sssome information about the sssituation down there, perhappsss that would be worth ssome sssmall conssideration?"

"Ahh." The man shrugs regretfully. "Sorry, but I have to follow instructions very carefully. I'm just here for a key mold. It may be possible that you can purchase an additional copy of the key later. They sell a lot of things down on the Flint street market. Just about anything you can think of, in fact. And.. If you have information you think is useful I'll hear it, but I can't offer you anything for it, sorry."

Nell posted:

Nell's eyes light up at the opportunity to curry favor. "Hullo hullo, I'm- ...pleased to make your acquaintance!"

"I'm certain I'm quite pleased as well." The young man gives a slight bow, a wink and a smile, though the overall impression is that he's amused at the interaction rather that harboring any lascivious intent.

Xelek posted:

"The key is not ours to give. Lyiriyl favors your goals, I am sure, but your ruse is forthright and obvious. The method of the sacrament is as important as its making. I apologize, but I cannot fall for it."

"Ah, regrettable. A man of the gods, are you? That's admirable, there's many in my family but I've never felt that calling myself. But, from where I stand, this is merely a business matter. I don't deal in ruses or trickery, just offers and promises. I can appreciate a man who stands by his principles, however."

In the end, the key is handed over. The man takes it, and after a cursory glance around the street, opens up a small clamshell box made of wood, packed with wax. He places the head of key inside and squeezes the box shut around it, leaving an imprint in the wax. He then returns the key.

"Much appreciated! Here's for your time.." He hands out a number of small sacks filled with coin.
((Xelek, since you did dissent, let me know if you want to refuse the cash and rep, or whatever.))

"And, if you do ever come by Flint street to see the market, or for other reasons, feel free to mention you met me. I'm called Autumn."

-------------------------------------------------

The remainder of the trip back to the guard station is uneventful, though weariness and injury most likely has at least some of you limping by the end. The Dranac guardsman who issued the task earlier sits up as you arrive.

"You lot look worked over, what happened? I assume you get the sluices checked and everything cleared out?"

((Please narrate your responses))

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Daeron Stormborne - [Clearing the Cisterns]

“Mechanisms are all fine, water is clean. Unfortunately, you have a beetle problem. Giant beetles have a nest under the city, and they have burrowed into the cistern system. Our weapons and magic could harm them, but we were overrun. They stayed within the tunnel that they had made after we retreated, but that may change, I'm not an expert on giant beetle behavior.”

Daeron shows the rents in his clothing and the abrasions left from the beetles on his legs. "They pack a bit of a wallop. You will want to send either a larger and better equipped group in to deal with them."

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Xelek - Clearing the Cisterns

Xelek does not accept his offered reward, watching Autumn impassively, but neither does he prevent the others from collecting theirs. Or even comment on it afterwards--it's not until the debriefing that he speaks again.

Gravedust posted:

"You lot look worked over, what happened? I assume you get the sluices checked and everything cleared out?"

"Beetles, yes. There did not seem to be an end to them. Everything else is dead."

Xelek contemplates for a moment.

"Also, the lock is... broken."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Dareon posted:

“Mechanisms are all fine, water is clean. Unfortunately, you have a beetle problem. Giant beetles have a nest under the city, and they have burrowed into the cistern system. Our weapons and magic could harm them, but we were overrun. They stayed within the tunnel that they had made after we retreated, but that may change, I'm not an expert on giant beetle behavior.”
Daeron shows the rents in his clothing and the abrasions left from the beetles on his legs. "They pack a bit of a wallop. You will want to send either a larger and better equipped group in to deal with them."

Xelek posted:

"Beetles, yes. There did not seem to be an end to them. Everything else is dead."
Xelek contemplates for a moment.
"Also, the lock is... broken."

"Beetles?" The Dranac guardsman sits up. His snout wrinkles in confusion. "Big enough to breach the cisterns and do that to you?" A creeping realization widens his eyes. "Thanks for bringing that information in. I'll notify the guard captains; that's a serious, serious problem.." He stands to leave and is four paces out of the room before he remembers to give you your pay.

"Here.." He hastily doles out your coin. "The watch appreciates your assistance," he recites by rote, and leaves with the last coin still spinning on the counter.

(( Each person gets $23, +10 Barrican Watch favor/Rep, +5 Boroughs favor/Rep, and that wraps this mission ))

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
========== CHARACTER DOCKS ==============

==========FACTION STORES =======================

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
============================
==== THREE CANDLES INN =====

((This is just the folks who already said they were going, anyone else can join if they wish.))

=======================================================================================

------------
Optionally, make a Contemporary Lore roll for your character (you can do this even if you don't have Proficiency, there's just no bonus) and read any spoiler text that with a score that is lower than your roll. These subjects are all related, so only one roll should be made for all of them. Go ahead and read all the lore if you're interested, though ;) this is mostly just what your character might know.
------------

(Contemporary Lore: 3) The Three Candles is associated by ownership to The Chosen Men, a band of regionally famous outriders whose most noteworthy * accomplishment was defeating the rogue alchemist and necromancer Raedos Khaas in his fortress of Eldran Niaxos in the Wildlands, a major threat that arose during a time when Barrican's and House Weilan's manpower were diverted and depleted by the ongoing 3rd Dragon War. Together, these 7 heroes managed to kill Raedos and destroy his machinations. In doing so, three of their number were killed, and the survivors had the skin of their arms permanently blackened by having to reach into an alchemical cauldron to remove an alchemical catalyst from it.

The surviving chosen men, (Lienne, Armahad, Brunell, and Kotras) all gradually drifted into retirement after this, and Lienne purchased the Inn from a pervious owner, renaming it the Three Candles.

There is no official start to the event; people just begin trickling in as the sun gets lower. The bottom floor of the Three Candles is light and clean with widely spaced wooden tables surrounded by ample chairs.

As the place fills up only one of the tables remains empty; in the corner by the stage, a prime spot that would have had a commanding view of the entire room, were it occupied. At this table, three chairs are pushed all the way in, each with a burning candle placed near it. As the evening goes on, from time to time people pay the empty spaces a visit, often leaving a coin, or a folded letter, or some other small token before they depart.

Looking around the room, one might take note that while there are a fair number of laborers and merchants in the crowd, there are also quite a lot more outriders and mercenaries in the group than the norm, talking quietly in small groups.

The atmosphere is welcoming but slightly reserved; as though loud, full celebration isn't exactly appropriate. A number of children seem to have found their way in; these are well-tolerated so long as they don't grow too noisy or disruptive; they will probably be redirected outside if that happens.

Trays of food and drink arrive from the kitchen at regular intervals and are laid out for anyone who wants to avail themselves to them. The food tends towards the light and sweet, freshly made coincakes and sweetmeats, and the drink is a selection of light beers and wines. (and milkcremes and apple juice for the ones too young or not disposed to alcohol.)

The Inn's proprietor, Lienne, a tall, taciturn and soft-spoken Calleian, solemnly makes the rounds. She can often be seen talking to people she knows and quietly accepting their words with a gentle smile and a bow of her head. She never strays far from the table in the corner, however, and her eyes linger on it often. Despite the warmth of the room, she is wearing a long-sleeved garment and gloves. One hand usually rests on her own shoulder, where tendrils of blackness can be seen stretching across her skin.

If you observe her for a few moments you might notice she often speaks to a weather-worn but well-dressed younger Calleian woman in outrider garb who is usually nearby.
(Contemporary Lore: 8)This appears to be Tiadni Eitien, Lienne's adoped daughter and journeyman Helhunter.)

If you approach, she will acknowledge you with a polite smile. She is happy to hear any words you might have for her, but seems to prefer they be quiet and brief; her eyes will shift elsewhere if the conversation runs for more than a few sentences.

Another figure of note is a very large man seated at a booth table in a far corner. He wears a cheerful, exuberant expression that seems incongruent with the terrible scars that run across his face and neck, and the burned-in brand above his eyes, one of which appears to be milky white and sightless.

(Contemporary Lore: 5)
These disfigurements were all inflicted by Raedos Khaas, who captured the warrior and tortured him until he was freed by the other Chosen Men. For a short time the brand served as a mark of control, which subverted his will.

If you approach he will greet you like an old friend, even if you've never met. He will introduce himself as Armahad and offer you a hand completely blackened by what looks like dried ink or a tattoo to shake. He will exhort you to pull up a chair and share some drinks and few tales. The table is already ringed with extra chairs and people already chatting away, but there's always room for one or two more.

Unnoticed if one does not know what to look for; (Contemporary Lore:7) a man sits with his head down on a table in one of the furthest corners, covered by a jacket and surrounded by empty mugs. This would appear to be Brunell Midson, a Chosen Man who lost his love in the final assault on Eldran Niaxos. He seems to spend most of his time right where he is now.

(Contemporary Lore: 4) There is a surviving Chosen Man who appears to not be present. Kotros Pelitan, a Tuur warrior, who is rumored to be somewhere in the wildlands, still adventuring.

As the night moves on, Lienne takes the stage at the end of one of the performances, and the clinking of a daggertip against glass gathers everyone's attention. She clears her throat and speaks, louder than she has all evening.

"Friends." She looks out at the crowd, catching a few eyes. "And new friends.. Whether you're here because you remember, or just for the companionship, you are welcome here.. As most of you know, this night is a celebration and a remembrance. Tonight marks the fifteenth anniversary of our victory, and our loss. I will ask for a moment of silence, for all those who can only be with us in spirit tonight. Not just for those who are dear to me, but the ones who are dear to you, whoever they may be. Tonight we honor them all."

Through the momentary silence there is a shifting and slight creaking of the floorboards as the massive warrior Armahad makes his way to the empty table, with three mugs and a pitcher clasped in his massive hands. Reverently, he puts the three cups on their places, and carefully measures out a drink into each one, and then steps back.

Lienne resumes, breaking the silence. Her voice quavers slightly. "I'd like you to join me in a toast for my three friends, some of the finest souls I've ever known."

She raises a glass towards the empty table.

"To Linitz Rit-Giot. Quickest and cleverest."

She takes a drink, mirrored by most of the crowd. The name "Linitz," is spoken by a chorus of voices.

"To Sogo. Strong of arm, stronger of heart. Our Anchor and Oar."

The glass rises to Lienne's lips again. "Sogo," the crown intones.

"To Casselia Midson. Our heart and soul. Gave all, and willingly. No words can fill the space you leave behind."

Lienne drinks as the crowd speaks, "Casselia."

The pale Calleian on stage is silent for a moment longer, then bows. "Thank you, friends."

She steps down and returns to the crowd. After a few minutes the swell of conversation returns, and the next performer takes the stage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open stage:
Anyone with at least 1 point of Entertaining proficiency can present themselves at the stage and play for 20 minutes, and keep any tips they earn for their performance. Players may roll once, and will earn $[1d10]+[Entertaining]-5.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toasts with Armahad:
Armahad is proposing a number of toasts to absent friends, which is quickly becoming an informal drinking contest. Each participant rolls [1d10] and can SUBTRACT their VIT score from their total after each roll. (though the score will always increase by at least 1) These rolls are cumulative and a character can roll as many times as they want. The character who makes the most rolls without their total going over 21 wins and will recieve a cash prize. Ties will be broken by a roll of 1d10+[VIT], but the prize will be less. Go for the gold!

If your total goes over 21, they drink themselves under the table and will wake up with a hangover and a -1 morale penalty.
Characters with Joie de Vivre will automatically lose 1 morale if they do not participate.

Please format your roll results something like this:
(Character has 3 VIT)
Roll 1: 8 [-3 VIT] = 5
Roll 2: 1 [-3 VIT] = 6 (minimum)
Roll 3: 9 [-3 VIT] = 12
Roll 4: 8 [-3 VIT] = 17

Pilfer something from the memorial table:
Sneakily take something from the table while pretending to leave a gift. You have a 30% chance of being caught, (20% if you have the Stealth talent) and will gain an object worth $[1d10] if you succeed. This can be attempted this multiple times, but the option becomes unavailable after 5 successful attempts, or after the first time anybody gets caught.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

C.Lore?: 1d10 7

"I really shouldn't."
The imp peeks out of the bag, following Gharoch's gaze.
"bozz"
"bozz no"

"It'll be fine."
"bozz please"
"Hail, I'll take a round over here!"
"oh gods here we go"

Drinkin Contest 1: 1d10 7 _7
Drinkin Contest 2: 1d10 6 13
Drinkin Contest 3: 1d10 7 20

Gently, the Imp pulled Gharoch away from the fourth tankard.
It was going to be enough hassle getting them home while they still walked.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Slid Viscous, Three Candles Celebration

He wasn't much for the social aspect, but drinks are nice. And he has pretty sure he could drink SOMEONE under the table.

Three Candles Celebration Contemporary Lore: 1d10 6

Character has 2 VIT
Drinking Contest 1: 1d10-3 0 I made an error here, i actually gained 1
Drinking Contest 2: 1d10-2 8
Drinking Contest 3: 1d10-2 7
Drinking Contest 4: 1d10-2 8

Result:24, over!!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Percy Delawney - Barrican

Contemporary Lore [1d10]=10

Percy makes his way to the rumored celebration at the Three Candles. He's familiar with the tale of its proprietress and the name from old caravan guards employed by his family. It is passing strange to be here in person, to see legends and the people who know them merely living, day in and day out. The atmosphere grows even stranger after Lienne's speech. It is at once somber and golden and defiant and inclusive. Helped along by flowing drink and treats covertly shared with his new hounds, Percival is quite taken away by feeling in the air. It is as if roots of burnished wood are pulling him down through living earth into history. Warmed beyond his usual blustery good mood into earnest and bittersweet joy, he makes his way to each of the Chosen Men in turn, offering them an introduction and a simple toast, ”To the past and every day after.” To Lienne and her companion, compliments on the establishment. To Brunell, merely the toast. And to Armahad, wisely saved for last, Percy lets himself be drawn into the toasting contest. He quite nearly overindulges (his third toast being in memory of a long extinct species of grasshopper) but manages to end the evening in a comforting haze rather than true excess.

Toast! Roll 1 [1d10-1]=4-1=3
Toast! Roll 2 [1d10-1]=6-1=5
Toast! Roll 3 [1d10-1]=10-1=9
Toast! Roll 4 [1d10-1]=2-1=1
Total = 18

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Bobby-Jack - Three Candles Inn

Three Candles Celebration Contemporary Lore: 1d10 4

Again, Bobby-Jack was not really one for parties, and he was only vaguely acquainted with the local hotshots, but the food was good and more importantly free. All in all, he had no complaints. The stories of the dead did not particularly move him, the dead in his past had generally had it coming to a degree where he found it difficult to truly mourn any of them (though some he did faintly miss, for amusing or helpful company if nothing else), but this 'toast' turned de facto drinking competition had his interest regardless. It was out of his usual oeuvre, sure, but it was potential money for little risk. Might as well?

And though Bobby-Jack was not the strongest of men, or in any way particularly good at holding his drinks, what he at least liked to consider himself was deliberate, some would even say shifty. Thus his strategy to mostly just pretend to drink to pace himself whilst the crowd was still large and nobody was likely to be paying too much attention to him, and only do a big showy sprint at the end when it was the mostly wasted toughs and wannabe-toughs still left.

Drinking Contest 1: 1d10 5 [-1 VIT]= 4
Drinking Contest 2: 1d10 3 [-1 VIT]= 6
Drinking Contest 3: 1d10 2 [-1 VIT] = 7
Drinking Contest 4: 1d10 3 [-1 VIT] = 9
Drinking Contest 5: 1d10 10 [-1 VIT] = 18
Total: 18

It seemed to be working pretty well.

And just in case the prize wasn't worth the effort (or worse, snatched from under his nose), he could always help himself to a bit of a consolation piece.

Pilfer something from the memorial table (1-20 fails): 1d100 33

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 5, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Three Candles Celebration

Contemporary lore: 1d10o10 9

The bookish Tuur was well-read on a wide variety of subjects, and this place, together with its history and the lore of those celebrated here, was no exception. Doing his due diligence was a point of pride for Korrigath, Though he seemed slightly disappointed as he searched the crowd, mentally accounting for The Chosen Men.

Still, a chance to shake Armahad's hand that did such deeds, to listen (And collate for future notes, Intavatni fanatic going to Intavatni fanatic) and add to the tales shared around his table, to toast along with him, it made for an excellent evening.

Here's to Chosen Man 1: 1d10-1 1
Here's to Chosen Man 2: 1d10-1 4
Here's to Chosen Man 3: 1d10-1 6
Here's to Chosen Man 4: 1d10-1 1
Here's to Chosen Man 5: 1d10-1 5
Here's to Chosen Man 6: 1d10-1 8
6 rolls, 25 score

Having a Tuur's strong stomachs definitely helped as well.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 5, 2023

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Three Candles Inn
Toasts for your ghosts

The celebration is everything she hopes, the kids fed and happy - and surprisingly on their best behavior. It's partly the subdued mood, she hazards - or the risk of losing cake access - but mainly this lot knows enough to pay respects. Even if they are younger than the events celebrated (some if barely), the stories grand and small and personal are known. Like some around, she quickly makes for the empty table. A Custom Bolt is retrieved and put gently down before what she hedges to be the correct candle. It's a waste of a beautiful bolt.

But of them all - she is old enough to remember. A time of confusion, fear and the towering figures that ended it.

"From Hale, Harrow and the vale.... strange," she mutters, with a blank expression and an odd lilt. Any follow-up falls unspoken. No point in reminiscing, not now that she is ready to have the beginnings of a very awkward chat. Not the full hullabaloo, though. Not even that. Not yet.

And yet. She bides and dithers. She eats, wanders and listens to the speech and entertainment until at one point a fed-up kid wanders past and - 'accidentally' - hops hard on her toes. After jumping - impressively silently - about for a bit she grudgingly joins the approachable Armahad in his toasts. Slid and Korrigath are met with nods of recognition and here misfortune strikes again, as she makes the classic - all too human - move of trying to match her peers.

"Say, where's Kotros and Brunell these days?" she finally broaches to Armahad - possibly even genuinely casually - after the color in her cheeks have risen to major flush. Which is again right before she burps, half-horks and rushes to puke her guts out in a splendid waste of drink.

There is a collective groan of kids - and an exchange of coincake side bets.

"I knew it."

"Did not. But okay, not like this is her thing."

"It oughta be, lookit all the toughies round here..."

"She's more roughie, than toughie. A meanie!"

"It's okay. She'll just ask later..."

"We'll kick her rear end 'till she do."

"So... wakey wakey rhymey why-mes for early tomorrow?"

Contemporary Lore (Party): 1d10 4
Living in the sticks has done Witchlily no favors in the contemporary department - but at least she's a little up to date on the Chosen Men.

Witchlily puts 1x Custom Ammo on the table. The significance of the offering and her words is known mainly to her - and maybe a keen-eyed/eared Chosen.

Chosen Toast 1: 1d10-2 0 - 1
Chosen Toast 2: 1d10-2 5 - 6
Chosen Toast 3: 1d10-2 2 - 8
Chosen Toast 4: 1d10-2 7 - 15
Chosen Toast 5: 1d10-2 8 - 23
Aaand she's out. Probably nerves.

And trying to match the Korrigath. Oh well. Making a fool of herself here makes the morale loss make doubly sense.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Seauffer Leuppah - [ THREE CANDLES INN CELEBRATION, BARRICAN ]

> Contemporary Lore: Three Candles Celebration: 1d10 9

The Three Candles Inn was bustling like Seauffer had never seen before. The Tuk songstress had brought her lute to the Three Candles Celebration to make a performance for the crowds, and she'd managed to sign up for one of the earlier time-slots of the evening. So long as she was here early, the young musician wanted to see if there was a convenient place that she could stow her fragile instrument while the rest of the festivities were underway.

> Seauffer sought out Mameri, the friendly Rootkith of the Burroughs, for assistance in stowing her lute.

When they had a relative bit of privacy from the hustle and bustle, Seauffer recounted events as she could:

"Miss Mameri, ma'am, I gots t'thankya for helping such a lively lot as us rowdy outrider folk, in makin' our ends meet up, so t'speak. I gots t'tell ya, a'fore I ferget: I got a looksee at the Vermik collars they use at the Barrican Arena jes' yesterday, and none a' them match the collar we picked up in the Pasturelands. One a' the Arena's beastmasters - er, Miss Remmvi - she said the only other fighting Arena nearby that does beast fights is in over Halys, up further north..."

Seauffer didn't know how to proceed beyond being the messenger of this clue, but she doubtless wanted to hear whatever thoughts Mameri had to spare on the subject of man-made bestial scourges set loose in the Pasturelands.

"I wonder if I should let Brinn know..?" Seauffer added, as a sudden afterthought.

With her lute safely secured for later, Seauffer breezed past the venerated back table of the Three Candles Inn before she noticed it while looking for a place to sit. Only then did she approach the tableau, both to pay respects to The Chosen Men and to see the collection of tokens and offerings laid out before the three lit candles. When she reached the seats of honor, the young Tuk bard lowered her head and produced a small, pearl-sized bauble from a velvet pouch strung around her neck by a cord, hidden beneath her silken raiment and tawny neck ruff.

It had been her grandmother's and then her mother's after, before it had been handed down to Seauffer on the night she was bid to left her homeland. It glittered back at the Tuk girl, twinkling from the dancing lights of the Three Candles Celebration. She tried to put the sparkling blue bead somewhere onto the table of gifts, as a heartfelt token of thanks to the sacrifices of The Chosen Men, but a protective loving force inside her mind stayed her hand and assured her to keep the jewel close, yet still.

Seauffer drew a deep breath and relaxed as she returned the crystal sphere to its pouch. She made a prayer of thanks: her old Nannan must be smiling kindly over her tonight.

Seauffer's pre-performance jitters were no more than that, she realized, as she turned from the Big Table to scan the inn's main hall and its stage: she was simply too eager, too fast for her own impending success! The peckish Tuk took a few drinks to sip and nibbled from the finger-foods being offered on the crudité trays and canapé platters as she waited for her performance slot to open.

The Tuk college student was ardently sampling a sip from a beer that she'd swirled some fruity pastry jam into before she realized that the musical act before her own was wrapping up to modest audience applause, meaning that she had less than a minute to grab her lute and get onstage before she's announced to work her own musical magics.

"Feck!" she cried, slamming back her cup and dashing headfirst into the tavern's crowded hubbub to the backrooms. "Sorries - gots'ta go! Fer some reason I gotta go SING now, by golly!"

Seauffer Leuppah's Three Candles Performance posted:

Seauffer strummed her stringed instrument as soon as she stepped onstage. She adjusted a couple pegs on her lute's head and spoke to the crowd as she strummed a couple times more.

"Hiya'all~! Now: I've been traveling by cart the past few weeks, so f'rgive me folks if my lute's a little rusty for all you slick city-types out here in the Burroughs, tonight..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPt-hkcvoJ0
> Performing at the Three Candles Celebration: 1d10+1-5 1 - +1$~!

There was a round of genial applause from the audience, and as Seauffer took her bows a small scattering of coins and a single florid flower were thrown onto the stage.

Seauffer picked up the flower and smelled its lilting, heady fragrance before she gathered any of the other assorted tokens into her purse. The fresh scent of spring bloom made the Tuk girl's heart well up with warmth and love and pride, even as she knelt to gather her other winnings from the floor. The last time she'd done a show in a pub she'd been run out of town, after all.

"Aw, thank you-all! Yer too kind," the Tuk girl said. "My name's Seauffer Leuppah, and y'all're an amazin' crowd, so thanky'all fer lettin' me share my li'l love with you today!"

"Pleasant nights, ya'll," Seauffer bid the hall of merrimakers, as she bowed again, waved, and stepped quickly off the stage.

The afterglow from even a semi-successful show was addictive to a starting artist, in a way. Once her instrument was safely secured in the Inn's backrooms again, Seauffer didn't even need another drink to feel the amount of confidence she'd require to approach the hostess(es) of the Three Candles' Celebration:

"Hello and good evenin'..g, Miss Lienne," Seauffer stated to the Calleian proprietor, bowing her head twice, once to Lienne and again to her younger companion, "and to Miss Eitien, too - I wanna- *want to thank you both for having this lovely event and for letting me share my music! You've created a lovely family here from all those trials you'd undertaken. May pleasant nights follow you and yours."

With a curtsy, Seauffer took her leave of the inn's legendary owner, only to find herself seeing if she could spot any of the other Chosen Men somewhere else inside the premises.

The Chosen Man named Armahad was unmistakable with his large frame, scarred face, blackened arm, and an ebullient camaraderie with absolutely everyone around him tonight. Seauffer overheard the boisterous man loudly proposing a drinking game to his carousing cohorts and to get the rounds readied, and the young doe of a Tuk planned to join. too.

Before she approached Armahad's rambunctious gang for their drinking game, however, Seauffer made a circuitous route touring the main hall of the Inn in order to make it look like she just so happened to need to slip past a particular corner table of the inn to get around the more crowded areas...

"Hey." Seauffer said to the figure at the darkened corner table, not bothering to attempt eye contact but nodding to them with a soft smile nonetheless. "This is for you."

During her brief moment of passage, Seauffer slipped the flower that had been tossed to her during her musical act from her hand and nonchalantly left it standing in one of the mugs sitting empty at the table's edge.
She didn't look back while she made her way to Armahad's busy table.

"We drinking, boyos? To whom?!" Seauffer proclaimed, as her icebreaker to the gaggle of men proudly drinking with the Chosen Man Armahad.

The Tuk performer winked and nodded to her colleagues Percy and Korrigath, who'd already begun to get into their cups among the raucous lot.
A seat was quickly pulled out for her in no time at all after someone got a bit sick just from raising their stein for the next toast.

"Cripes... we've all been there!" Seauffer called out to them jovially, before taking her new seat and raising a fresh cup. She took her pulls one quaff at a time, along with the rest.

Whenever the drinking game came back around to Seauffer's turn for making the toast, the spirited Tuk's mood would turn serious and contemplative, getting more intense as the night's bender tore on:

#1 :guinness:
> Toast 1: "To the pets we loved as children, they had kinder souls than we ever deserved!": 1d10-2 4 (VIT=2 Total: 4)
#2 :guinness: :guinness:
> Toast 2: "To the lovers we made exploring the world, may they recall our sweetest sides fondly!": 1d10-2 6 - Total: 4+6 = 10
#3 :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:
> Toast 3: "To the mothers who loved us despite the cruelties of the world, may they recognize us in the afterlife and rejoice!": 1d10-2 0 - Total: 10+1 = 11
#4 :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:
> Toast 4: "To the brothers who took different paths than ourselves, paving roads so that we could blaze newer trails beyond!": 1d10-2 3 - Total: 11+3 = 14
#5 :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:
> Toast 5: "To the sisters who left the safeties of their homes to satisfy arranged marriages, may they get the love they need from their new families!": 1d10-2 4 - Total: 14+4 = 18
#6 :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:
> Toast 6: "To The Chosen, all! May they dine again in the halls of the Gods!: 1d10-2 1 (natural 3) - Total: 18+[1 OR 3*] = 19 OR 21*
(*Only if allowed to reject the -2 granted from VIT for final roll)

Tears welled up in the young lady's eyes as she pounded back her last drink and slammed it soundly on the table, standing up right after. Seauffer tapped the side of two raised fingers to her temple in a grossly casual salute to the table's esteemed guests and left them to continue in their merriment. In some places people have called this wordless drunken self-dismissal, 'the Tuk goodbye'.

She was halfway out the door before Seauffer remembered that her lute was still holed up somewhere in the backrooms of the Inn and she should probably retrieve it before leaving for bed in the Silver Archive dormitories. Her mind - so filled with potential - reeled onwards into the night.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 5, 2023

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Daeron Stormborne - [Three Candles Celebration]

Contemporary Lore: 1d10o10+1 10

Daeron is quiet during the ceremony, all too aware of how close he and the others came to death beneath the city. When the toasting with Armahad begins he joins in:

Toast 1: 1d10 10 - [VIT=1] = 9
Toast 2: 1d10 3 -1 = 11
Toast 3: 1d10 8 -1 = 18

After the third round of toasting, Daeron thanks Armahad for the camaraderie and wishes him well. He enjoys the rest of the evening on a stool nursing the weakest ale in the tavern. When the rest of the Silver Archives group heads back to the dorm he will follow along.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 5, 2023

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Bobby-Jack - Three Candles Inn

Bobby-Jack glared at the tiny Tuk that had, somehow, come ahead in the little competition, drinking even Tuurs under the table. The man cursed his own unneeded flourish at the end, because now he too was entering risky territory.

He stared down at his tankard.

Well... maybe he could still down one?

Drinking Contest 6: 1d10 7 [-1 VIT]= 24
Total: 24

Nope.

That was definitely a mistake.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Clove - Three Candles Inn

Despite his best intentions and his overall exhaustion with people, Clove, too, made his way to the Three Candles Inn. He was passingly familiar with the lore of the Chosen Men, and he thought it appropriate to at least drop by and pay his respects. It formed an interesting counterpoint to the grave robbing he'd performed earlier, to give honor to those long gone, but this was different, in his eyes. In the musty Yltrian tomb, the possessions of the dead lay mouldering with their former owners - valuables stripped from circulation, from the rest of the world that might actually make use of them. The death rituals of civilization just seemed... such a waste. A travesty. But this, allowing the honored dead - and living companions - to live once more in an atmosphere of light-hearted revelry? He would allow it. He even cracked a smile to see children running around, eyes wide with delight. A celebration of life was a good thing.

He reflected that his mellowness was coloured by the extremely fine wine they had on offer. Probably too fine a fare for this place's standard libation, but he had no way of knowing. He did not drink to excess in general, and had little tolerance for the stuff. But perhaps one more. To celebrate the Chosen Men.
Drinking Contest: 1d10 5 5
Drinking Contest: 1d10 10 15
Drinking Contest: 1d10 1 16
Drinking Contest: 1d10 7 UH OH
He woke up with beads in his antlers, lying on a table with his fingers interlinked on his chest, a child prodding his barky cheek. He decided to lay there a while longer.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
====== THE BOROUGHS ========

Seauffer posted:

"Miss Mameri, ma'am, I gots t'thankya for helping such a lively lot as us rowdy outrider folk, in makin' our ends meet up, so t'speak. I gots t'tell ya, a'fore I ferget: I got a looksee at the Vermik collars they use at the Barrican Arena jes' yesterday, and none a' them match the collar we picked up in the Pasturelands. One a' the Arena's beastmasters - er, Miss Remmvi - she said the only other fighting Arena nearby that does beast fights is in over Halys, up further north..."
The rootkith smiles warmly at Seauffer, slowly dropping to one knee to lessen the difference in height. "Thank you for bringing me this news. I have some of my own; more tales of vermik infestations have reached me, after I did some asking. Most in the pasturelands. ..The earliest was two seasons ago, so this began long before what happened on the Duston farm.

Mameri laspses into silence a moment, considering Seauffer's words further. "Halys.." the rootkith says the word slowly. "They do have an Arena there.. I've seen it, many years ago, ..when I still wandered." She turns her head contemplatively to the north. "I suppose if that's where the trail leads, it should be followed... I will see who is willing to undertake that task."

quote:

"Xelek!" Nymar hurries across the street with his arm raised, robes flapping behind him. "I'm glad to see you well! How did everything go? I've been hearing rumors that something dangerous was uncovered beneath the city, and guards have been posted around all the cisterns. Did you notice anything?" A troubled look shadows the acolyte's face. "...Or was it you who discovered it?"

==== THREE CANDLES INN ======

Witchlily posted:

"Say, where's Kotros and Brunell these days?" she finally broaches to Armahad - possibly even genuinely casually - after the color in her cheeks have risen to major flush.
"Brunell?" Armahad's scarred face sours for a moment, and he jerks a thumb over his shoulder to the table in the back. Armahad's voice as as deep and sonorous as one would expect, but is also marred by an almost comical lisp, probably on account of the his scarred lips amd missing teeth. The big man seems completely unbothered by it. "Where he usually ith, bethides on 'is chamber pot. Kotroth-" The meaty arm swings over the table and draws an arc vaguely in the direction of west. "Out there thomewhere. He'th made it back for three of these so far, but I wouldn't hold your breath ethpecting him." Armahad grins without rancor. "He never did like to see the thame place twice, I'm thurprised we got him back here at all."

When Witchlily spills her guts some time later, he memorializes the occasion with a restrained cheer and softly clapping hands. "Thum water for thith one!" he calls good naturedly, pointing with his black-stained hand. "Come on lath, keep yer head up 'an eyeth open!"

Seauffer posted:

"Hello and good evenin'..g, Miss Lienne," Seauffer stated to the Calleian proprietor, bowing her head twice, once to Lienne and again to her younger companion, "and to Miss Eitien, too - I wanna- *want to thank you both for having this lovely event and for letting me share my music! You've created a lovely family here from all those trials you'd undertaken. May pleasant nights follow you and yours."
Lienne lowers her head in return. "Of course," she intones politely. "And may you have twice the number."
Tiadni seems surprised to be adressed, though it's covered over well. Her eyes flick through a curious assessment of the Tuk and one corner of her mouth twitches, though whether towards a smile or some other expression is too difficult to tell. She nods, and then her eyes wander elsewhere in the room.

Seauffer posted:

"Hey." Seauffer said to the figure at the darkened corner table, not bothering to attempt eye contact but nodding to them with a soft smile nonetheless. "This is for you." During her brief moment of passage, Seauffer slipped the flower that had been tossed to her during her musical act from her hand and nonchalantly left it standing in one of the mugs sitting empty at the table's edge.
There is no reaction; just the slow and steady rise and fall of the jacket thrown over the man's head and shoulders as he breathes, apparently far off from the world. His blackened hands are clasped just in front of where his head rests on the table, poking out from under the collar. The flower remains there for the rest of the evening.

Bobby-Jack posted:

Bobby Jack approaches the table with his head down and hands clasped right a few moments before he judges that a song by a particularly good performer is finishing up, and as most eyes are drawn to the stage in the expected swell of applause, lays a folded note on to the table. As he draws his hand back, he deftly catches an object between his ringfinger and thumb and palms it before stepping back. Once the evening is over he finds the object secure in his pockets still. It is a small compass, antique in design and ornamented with polished brass. A nice find, though not uncommon.The little arm swings faithfully to the north no matter how you hold it. ((Worth $6 once sold, added to your wealth.))

Seauffer posted:

Tears welled up in the young lady's eyes as she pounded back her last drink and slammed it soundly on the table, standing up right after. Seauffer tapped the side of two raised fingers to her temple in a grossly casual salute to the table's esteemed guests and left them to continue in their merriment. In some places people have called this wordless drunken self-dismissal, 'the Tuk goodbye'.
"Where do you think you're going??" The sudden rasp of a chair sliding back can be heard, and suddenly Armahad is towering over the table. He points one of his blackened fingers right at the young Tuk as she attempts to withdraw. "Out to the threet? No." His mock-stern expression breaks into a friendly smile, which is nonetheless a little daunting on account of the missing teeth and scars. "You thay with us, little one. a better room than the regent's got, I promith you, all to yourthelf. Anyone with words that thweet and stomach that throng deserves that much at leath." He looks across the room to Lienne for confirmation, who, after a brief moment, raises a hand in assent. Some time later, Seauffer is passed a key. ((Seauffer's accommodations changed to Three Candles 3rd floor ( +6 Morale ))

Whenever she arrives there, Seauffer will find that the third floor rooms are more like apartments; expansive and sumptupusly decorated, with an enormous down-filled bed, a writing table, cushy furniture, a private tub with running water, and a pleasant view overlooking the city's rooftops. Several times a day an attendant will check in to tidy up and take orders for food or drink. Any gear that she allows to will be cleaned and laundered. After several days of this treatment a polite note will arrive to the effect that it has been a pleasure serving her, and if she would like to continue to reside here, arrangements should be made at the front counter.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Xelek - Barrican Streets

Xelek trudged through the dark and unpleasantly cool streets of Barrican with heavy steps. There were Paktli to whom contemplation came naturally. They could sit unmoving for days at a time, the rhythms of their bodies slowing to a standstill as they lost themselves in the divine mysteries, leaving the transient world behind.

Xelek was not one of them. His was—had been—a path of relentless motion, a constant roiling energy turned in upon itself, constantly in need of an outlet, always demanding to be released upon others. That turbulent core was gone, now, and its absence was an endless dull ache. But even in its absence, he felt the need to keep moving. And so he walked.

Every day in this place, it became clearer what a punishment exile truly was. First had been the shock of how fully they denied an entire segment of the gods, as though they were any less deserving of veneration. Creek paused in his journey and looked up and down the street.

Divine Lore+Perception: 1d10+3+1 5

Not even a covert mark of Lyiriyl. There were thieves and tricksters, to be sure, but they did so out of pure self-interest, not giving even a shred of acknowledgment to their patron, unaware of the holy nature of their work. Whether that was mere ignorance or a willful choice on their part, Celek did not know. He was not sure which was worse.

But the latest shock had been how freely the others—including the sea-priest—had simply tossed aside their promise for coin. That the work had technically been completed was of no consequence. When they had taken the job, they had implicitly promised their service to a greater power—albeit a temporal one. The cistern had been theirs to protect, and they had abandoned it, and called it right.

…perhaps it was that familiarity which sting worse of all. Was that all he was?

Xelek did not count the passing of the hours, nor did he chart a deliberate course. So perhaps it was divine intervention that he found himself in front of the temples as morning dawned.

quote:

Xelek!" Nymar hurries across the street with his arm raised, robes flapping behind him. "I'm glad to see you well! How did everything go? I've been hearing rumors that something dangerous was uncovered beneath the city, and guards have been posted around all the cisterns. Did you notice anything?" A troubled look shadows the acolyte's face. "...Or was it you who discovered it?"

Xelek startled, uncharacteristically—perhaps a sign of how tired he was.

“I am… fine, Nymar. Whole. In body. There are beetles in the cistern. Large. Heavily armored. We broke two of them, but they were endless. I am… not happy to not finish the duty. But the others are safe.” Xelek’s paused, struggling for a moment. No. The duty of protection extended even here. He would not speak of it. “I do not know if it is a failure in the eyes of Sollos.”

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
========================================
============== REGION MAP ===============

=========== NEWS AND RUMORS ============

The word overheard around Barrican. It may or may not be true, but it is what people are saying.

quote:

---------------------------

Vermik Infestations in the Pasturelands
Several farms and mills in the north pasturelands have suffered under an unusual number of large vermik infestations.
Theories abound as to why their spread has been more prolific this year.

Problems in the Cisterns
Barrican Watch guardsmen have been posted at every cistern entrance within the city, and rumor has it the vermik infestation has somehow spread to, or originated from, the Cisterns. Others hold that the issue is an infestation of diseased magnus rats and that the water is no longer safe to drink. Some usually reputable sources hold forth that the deep kingdoms have found or made a safe way up through the mostly flooded undergound caverns.

Fire at the Alchemists Enclave
Late in the evening, the glow of fire and a pillar of smoke and sparks were seen coming from the Alchemists's Enclave, outside of Barrican's walls. (which, as per many droll observations, is exactly why the enclave is outside Barrican's walls) The spectacle lasted about three hours, before evidently being brought back under control. As usual, no-one passed in or out of the enclave during the entire event. No-one seems able to verify whether anyone was killed or injured, or whether the enclave itself was much damaged in the event.

Traveling Mysterium heads towards Barrican
Illirus' Grand Mysterium, a renowned traveling collection of curios, entertainers, art, and other wonders is rumored to be leaving Dias Calle and heading towards Barrican as the westernmost arm of it's normal circuit through the western empire. It has been several years since the Mysterium's last visit, and many are looking forward to its arrival.

Blackpeak Freeswords on the move
A sizable detachment of the Blackpeak company has mobilized and has been seen traveling the lands around Barrican city in groups of five to ten men. They seem to have a special interest in investigating the open caverns in the region.

Motorwagon overruns pullwagon
An incident about day's travel east of Barrican City has left several dead and wounded, when a motorwagon overran a pullwagon that was stopped by the roadside. Some blame the pullwagon for halting too close to the center of the road, and others blame the motorwagon pilot for not paying closer attention to their vehicle's path. Most seem to agree that both were at least partially at fault, and some others observed that in the days before motorwagons, this kind of accident would never have occurred.

---------------------------

==========================================
======= ENCOUNTERS =======================

Xelek posted:

“I am… fine, Nymar. Whole. In body. There are beetles in the cistern. Large. Heavily armored. We broke two of them, but they were endless. I am… not happy to not finish the duty. But the others are safe.” Xelek’s paused, struggling for a moment. No. The duty of protection extended even here. He would not speak of it. “I do not know if it is a failure in the eyes of Sollos.”
Nymar's eyes widen at the mention of the giant insects. "That's ..bad news. If there were many, it could be an incursion from the deep kingdom. But I'm glad you came through unscathed." Nymar touches his chin, thinking. "I don't hear Sollos' voice, myself, but from what I understand he never asks that you do the impossible, only that you do the most you're capable of. And you, of all people, I know would not have given ground unless there was no other choice. To me, it sounds like you honored the will of Sollos by making certain everyone escaped safely, and then giving warning to the city. You know.. Sollos and Aulua are actually very similar, some feel, it's just that their actions and outlooks differ-" He stops himself, realizing he is about to launch into a sermon. "Well. If you seek advice, you could speak with Gilus Yvandal, he's the Speaker for Sollos at the conclave. I mentioned you to him, the last time we met. He seemed interested in you."

Brinn passes you on the street by chance, seemingly, and pads over to greet you. "Hello again! I just wanted to thank you again for helping me get away from the farm, things have been going really well for me here; I've found work as a tanner's apprentice and have a little place by the northwall.. I have to share it with a few others, but it's home." He smiles. "I remember you offered some lessons in swordplay, though? If that offer's still on the table, I'd be interested in that, still. I can flip you a few coins out of my wages, if you want, as thanks."

At some point when you heads downstairs you encounter Armahad, sitting at his usual table, looking sanguine as normal. He waves you over. "Ah, there ith our thilver tongued thquirrel. Ha ha. You know.. Once I sobered up I remember where I remembered you from.. You were in the Arena on Opening day, yeth? And I saw you at the Trials, before. Quite a thowing." He leans forward and regards you curiously, but kindly. "What happened, when you were fighting during the opening? You have skill and you don't have the look of a coward. So what happened?"

======= ADVENTURE OPPORTUNITIES ==========

[Journey to Halys]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[$120 pot][+20/+10 Boroughs][3-4 slots]

Mameri smiles in greeting. "Thank you for coming... Perhaps you have heard, or already know; but a number of farms have suffered from vermik infestations this season. With help I've found evidence that these are not natural occurrences... Someone has been putting these vermik onto the farms. Our clue points to the vermik being purchased from the Halys Arena, several days journey to the north. I am looking for volunteers to go there and try to discover the truth of this, and who may be responsible.

[Journey to Aaretrine] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[$70 pot] [+10/+5 Boroughs][1-2 slots]

"...And if that is not to your taste," Mameri tosses her head, rustling her leaves. "I have another matter that needs some attention... A merchant in the boroughs complains that some equipment they commissioned from a workshop in Aaretrine has not arrived. It is a custom, hand-cranked mill for powdering soft minerals, apparently. The Tradesman, by the name of Tigrin Manoy, has not responded to any messages on this matter. I am hoping you might go in person to see what the issue is, and if possible retrieve the merchandise. I doubt force will be necessary in this case, but it sometimes is. We have an official writ signed by Tigrin that proves the commission was made and the fee paid. You may take it if you think it will help, but be careful not to lose it."

[Aiding Brye Rynwell] (Available if you are in the Initiates' Dormitory, or have Silver Archive Rep) --------------------------------------------------
[$150 pot][+10/+5 Silver Archive][3-4 slots] ((You can make a Contemporary Lore roll to see if you know a thing or two about Brye))
Brye Rynwell, a studious, dedicated young man who is often seen around the dormitory and Archive grounds approaches you. "Good day to you, I was hoping that you might be willing to help me in a little side project of mine. It'll involve a few days of travel, and, to be honest, there may be some danger involved. That's why I'm seeking your help specifically, and the help of a few others; you've been put forward as someone who might be adventurous enough to consider my offer. Unfortunately I can't go much into the details right now for reasons of secrecy, but what I said is accurate; Some travel, possible danger. However I'll be with you every step of the way, will cover travel expenses, and will see you handsomely compensated." He looks at you hopefully.

[A favor for a Watchman] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[$40 pot][(+10/+10) Barrican Watch][2-3 slots]
A watchman in turns to you on the street, seemingly at a whim. "..You have the look of an Outrider to you. I wonder if you might do a thing for me.. A man in my group has been acting strange lately - showing up late for his work, shirking, and sneaking off nights to visit someplace outside the walls. We've been covering for him so's the group doesn't look bad in front of the watch captains, but that can't go on forever. I want you to follow him when he goes off shift and figure out where he's going and what he's doing. Should be an easy enough job, you'll barely need to leave the city. I'd do it myself except he knows me too well. "

[Pilgrimage to the Mourner] -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[$20 (Per person, in advance) ][+20/20 Divine Conclave][2-4 slots]
Adherents to the divine often make pilgrimages to various sites that have known the touch of the gods in the past, as a way of expressing their devotion. The Mourner is a godly monument; a titanic statue of divine design located in a dense wood far to the east of Barrican. A small number of acolytes are planning an expedition to visit the Mourner. The trip will be lengthy and challenging, but such exertions are looked on very favorably by the conclave, and perhaps the gods themselves. Some funds will be made available at the beginning of the journey to help the pilgrimage.

[Wagon to Port Avelline] (Available if you have any amount of Flint Street Rep) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[$120 pot] [+20/+10 Flint Street][3-4 slots]

A pleasant-looking man you may have met before beckons you over. He puts his hands in his pockets and leans back against a wall casually. "Good morning to you, hope you don't mind I looked you up. If you're up for a spot of work, I've some to offer. Just moving a motor-wagon of cargo down the road to the Port Avelline docks 'and back. The only thing is, all the people I normally use for this have eyes on them, so I need to rely on a little new blood. You've been helpful in the past, so I figure you might be willing to help a little more. Unfortunately, this needs to happen on the swift, meaning you leave within two hours of now, and no side-stops; you drive till you get there. It'll take three or four heads to get this done, there's some shine in it for you, paid when you get back. And I'm sure the folks down by the factories will appreciate that you've been of more help."

==============================================================================================================================================================================

========== CHARACTER DOCKS ==============

==========FACTION STORES =======================

The Boroughs is both a place and an organization, being one of Barrican's oldest neighborhoods as well as an informal network of merchants, tradesmen and individual citizens that coordinates projects for the benefit of the community and offer help when needed. You are expected to pay any assistance forward. Mameri, having lived in the Boroughs for over half of her century-long life, is a central figure there and privy to much of what goes on. A useful place for an Outrider to first make themselves known, as they provide most of the basic staples of adventuring life, and often have simple tasks that need doing.

A bastion of magical teaching in Barrican, this Silver Archive one of many established by the Silver Circle all over Ailia. If you need Rotes or magical training, this is where to seek either. Basic lessons are available free of charge, and simple Rotes at minimal cost. The Silver Circle promotes the peaceful and beneficial use of magic, outside of some forms of self defense. Teaching and use of the so called 'Red rotes' is expressly forbidden by the Archive.

The Barrican Armory is an industrialized smithy that produces arms and armor for Barrican's Watch, as well as House Weilan Troops and Imperial forces. It takes private commissions as well. Normal-quality arms and armor can be purchased by anyone, but more specialized goods require authorization. In some cases, people who assist the Watch or House Weilan's will be awarded Armory Vouchers for their services and are thus spared the high cost of purchasing heavy armor for themselves.

The Blackpeak Freeswords are a supplemental force hired by House Weilan to secure the lands around Barrican. It is an open secret that many of the Blackpeak company are wildlanders. Still, in the two years of their contract they have earned the trust of Barrican's people and the grudging respect of the Watch. They often have surplus jobs to parcel out to enterprising Outriders, and aren't above selling equipment and supplies to those they find reliable.

The Divine Conclave is a collective of religious orders within the city, worshipping Elemental and Virtue Divinities. (Those seeking to worship the outlawed Vice Divinities, should look decidedly elsewhere, with few exceptions.) Rites and services of all kinds are performed here, and adherents often come to pray and offer their services to the faiths or to seek closer communion with their patron gods. Supplies are available for the faithful, and for those willing to dedicate their entire selves to worship of their deity, even divine relics can be obtained.

The Arcanis Armifex is an ancient and prestigious order of craftsmen that forges and enhances weapons, armor, and items using techniques that blend magical forces and martial objects. These arts were developed nearly 600 years ago to combat the original Hellion breaches. Their skills and knowledge can even to increase the potency of magic-bearing artifacts, including ones from antiquity. Barrican's Armifex chapter is considered one of the finest in the empire. By tradition, their wares and services are available to any who can bear the price.

The Mechanist Union is a conglomeration of affiliated mechanical manufactories and research workhouses in the factory district. Along with hundreds of other products and inventions, they design and sell tools and consumables useful for adventuring, and offer the facilities and expertise required for aspiring mechanists to upgrade their own tools and devices.

Flint Street is a shady group that operates from the eponymous street near the western gate factory district, and the surrounding blocks. Dabbles in smuggling, enforcement and 'retrievals'. They can be risky to associate with, but have or can get things you won't find elsewhere. Curious and unique objects find their way into the Flint Street's back alley auctions quite frequently, and they do not shy from selling dangerous wares to people they can't vouch for.

Barrican's Alchemist Enclave is a walled compound where the alchemical arts are practiced and researched. Alchemists are a mysterious, insular group that holds tight to their secrets and techniques. On certain days they open their doors to sell their brewings, and offer special Additives that can enhance the effects of their more basic potions, for a bit of extra cost.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
[A Favour For A Watchman]

It... startled Slid, the request. But as he thought, it suited him. And he was aching for a bit of ramble aboveground.

Well.

He agreed.

But he had still to check into that hellion pit rumour. Well, maybe next time.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Daeron Stormborne - [Aiding Brye Rynwell]

Contemporary Lore: 1d10o10+1 3 Guessing I don't know much more about Brye Rynwell

'Glad to help Master Rynwell. I'm pretty new to the Silver Archives, but I'm glad to help a fellow student of the arcane.

Purchase
Previous post Daeron had 48 bucks, this one says 25. I'm assuming that I have 48 for the following purchase
Buy Leather Chestplate Cost $30
Remaining money $18

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Barrican Arena
Barrican Borough - Early morning

"Ready?"

"On three."

"One~"

"Two~"

"Three!"

A chorus of voices in her ears, not quite shouting, but loud enough to send needles of agony through her aching skull, along with the pokes and pats to set her rousing.

"Witchi witchi witchi's way~
Was to promise one thing~
And then the other sway~
But now she'll face~
The light of day~"

And on it goes; excoriatingly, exruciatingly - and well-deserved.

---

Nursing a furrowed brow and a still-flushed face, she glances up to catch the faintly amused expression on Mameri's face.

"Halys - or Aaretrine. Matters not which. I believe I'm... up for a trip."

She is not running away. Just taking a break. A reset. Responsibility deferred until she can face it again. And her little band of children will be fine without her for a bit, in this town of towns.

They will. They had been in worse straits.

She pauses, and reflects on what has been said.

"Vermik being let on farmfolk? Nasty business. Who'd want to angle for a famine?"

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Percy Delawney - Barrican

"Always a pleasure to help a fellow seeker of knowledge."

Contemporary Lore [1d10]=8

Accept mission Aiding Brye Rynwell

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Silver Archive Dorms

Contemporary Lore Brye: 1d10o10 9

"Now you've gone and got me all kinds of intrigued. I would be remiss if I didn't pry open the mystery box, and whilst I will absolutely maintain the necessary secrecy, I do hope there's something I can commit to my God in due time." Korrigath gave the would-be patron a look up and down, as ever studious diligence paid off, he knew who he was dealing with.

"Thought occurs we might be a tad short on numbers and skill diversity. There's an outrider I've worked with before, trustworthy, diligent, can keep a secret, would plug that gap nicely. I'd vouch for them unhesitatingly. I realise this is irregular, but it is a matter in which I gave my word. By your leave I'd like to see if they're amenable."

Korrigath accepts Brye Rynwell's request for aid, and if permitted would open this mission to Witchlily, in accordance with his word given to her to let her know of opportunities that came his way.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

"awake yet boss"
"because i got a question"

quote:

Fire at the Alchemists Enclave
"the gently caress, boss"
"hrk"
"not me this time."
"yeah obviously, the buildings still standing"
"look maybe its best we skip town for a bit, find something to do not here"
"I don't see anyone getting too worked up over it."
"Hells, nobody gave you a second glance back there."
"i think"
"yeah and lets keep it that way, c'mon got some job listings in town"
"yes, yes. although-"
"we're not robbing the alchemists"
"-didn't even-"
"not. robbing. alchemists."
"not because its beneath you, but because there is one of you, several of them, and whatever experiment is still gettin cleaned up."
"got it?"
"Oh fine. Legitimate Work it is."
------

quote:

Wagon to Port Avelline
"We're listening."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Darcy Landown

Gravedust posted:

A pleasant-looking man you may have met before beckons you over. He puts his hands in his pockets and leans back against a wall casually. "Good morning to you, hope you don't mind I looked you up. If you're up for a spot of work, I've some to offer. Just moving a motor-wagon of cargo down the road to the Port Avelline docks 'and back. The only thing is, all the people I normally use for this have eyes on them, so I need to rely on a little new blood. You've been helpful in the past, so I figure you might be willing to help a little more. Unfortunately, this needs to happen on the swift, meaning you leave within two hours of now, and no side-stops; you drive till you get there. It'll take three or four heads to get this done, there's some shine in it for you, paid when you get back. And I'm sure the folks down by the factories will appreciate that you've been of more help."

"'Ere squire say no more, I am always down to help a 'responsible member of the community'." This time they weren't in public so he put verbal quotes around certain phrases.

"Now what kind of problems might we encounter for such a security detail leaving on short notice?"

>Accept the Wagon to Port Avellin Job

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 15, 2023