Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

Is there a quick way to reset all the way back to the brand screen?

Not exactly "quick," but
1. take stairs positioned right below a black 4-eyes statue.
2. die, refuse the offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
if you die repeatedly (as in, deliberately but idk exactly how it works) while voided you can end a run

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Hell loving yeah. Found a 128 floor skip in hard mode. I will absolutely have to go back for the trees I missed but I'm already voided so I'll just get to the end and see what happens.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Oh god. I didn't mean to do it! I was just trying to talk to her!

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Do you happen to remember if the backtracking was via glyphing or with the demon statue reset? and how far down you got during it?

I'm torn between just doing it to see what happens and trying to figure out why it happens in the first place first

I've never knowingly backtracked via glyphs. I have backtracked by statue and status bar manipulation.

When I meet the Lamia now, they tell me they're not supposed to talk to me now, if that affects things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hard B037

why

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Hwurmp posted:

Hard B037

why
To laugh when it happens to other people.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hwurmp posted:

Hard B037

why

If it's one of the ones I think it is, to teach you a lesson

if you do not learn the lesson there will be other opportunities, because the devs love you and care about your education

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So does this game become less tedious at some point?

I'm around level 210 in void mode. And while there were some fun mechanics so far, I haven't really found anything which grabs me. Maybe I am just using to much brute force to solve it, but I feel like the lack of an undo button makes some levels take way to long.
Maybe I just haven't reached the point were it gets good?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm around level 210 in void mode. And while there were some fun mechanics so far, I haven't really found anything which grabs me. Maybe I am just using to much brute force to solve it, but I feel like the lack of an undo button makes some levels take way to long.

There's a lot more, let's call it meta-puzzles, but the core gameplay will always be the same with different twists.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

you're very close to an ending. i would recommend hanging on until at least you reach that, and then deciding whether you want to keep exploring

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The first 230 floors or so is usually the driest part. It's really freakin well done but things can get a lot more free form and easy afterwards if you secret hunt a bit instead of immediately progressing.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

As others have said, you're very close to an ending and things are going to open up a bit. If you're curious about the exact floor you need to reach, it's B225

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm trying to figure out if I've actually finished all the primary content in the game now? I've completed a run as Gray, Lillie, and as Cif. I've gone through DIS as Gray as well, I think all I would have left are some weird meta secrets/collecting the rest of the crystals.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

As others have said, you're very close to an ending and things are going to open up a bit. If you're curious about the exact floor you need to reach, it's B225

I did that now. Afterwards I went around the starting levels and gave some locusts to a guy twice. Went there.
It's interesting, but I feel like I'm not really willing to backtrack that much. Maybe some other day.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 11, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I did that now. Afterwards I went around the starting levels and gave some locusts to a guy twice. Went there.
It's interesting, but I feel like I'm not really willing to backtrack that much. Maybe some other day.

I'm in the same boat. Got to ~B029 on the second playthrough, accidentally activated a level skip, got to a string of levels I don't really care for with a lot of enemies to avoid and very little margin for error.

I'm glad there's a ton of stuff to find, but the bulk of the game now seems to be playing the same puzzles again to unlock/discover the next thing and... I don't really want to do that.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
figuring out what to do with the murals is what really starts to reveal the secrets of the game and helps to make all the puzzles significantly easier

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

goferchan posted:

Ouch. Can you at least use the special brand to jump right to hard mode? If you don't have a screenshot of it I can give you one

This just happened to me, didn't realize that also lost my crystals. That sucks. Can someone post the sword and first hardmode brands? I already have the wing and cube ones. Not cool, game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm in the same boat. Got to ~B029 on the second playthrough, accidentally activated a level skip, got to a string of levels I don't really care for with a lot of enemies to avoid and very little margin for error.

I'm glad there's a ton of stuff to find, but the bulk of the game now seems to be playing the same puzzles again to unlock/discover the next thing and... I don't really want to do that.
If you're going to quit the game anyways you can at least (big big spoilers) copy the pattern of the third mural (B57) onto floor B67. you might find sticking around more enticing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 12, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so yesterday somewhere in the 100s I was given a hint about falling or going down in front of the "smirking" statues being a shortcut. Then later in the 160s I saw a four-eyed black statue and thought "what if I do the same thing?"

long story short I don't want to play this game anymore :( all the way back to B001 are you for loving real with me here???? arrrgh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This comes after restarting in the 60s because I was sus as gently caress of that bat fucker and his fruit and said no, sending me right on back to start. so yeahhhhhh

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
That's what you get for rejecting bat fucker :colbert:

do yourself a favor, remove the stairs on B023 and jump down the hole, then do a 4-eyed statue reset and check out the rock on B002

and also trust any and all sketchy people you run into, because they will gently caress you over but you will get critical information from being hosed over that can be applied on later runs

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Guys I was resetting a room by falling into a hole but I suddenly jumped forward about 10-ish levels, which I think happened because I fell in front of a smiley statue?

I have this sick feeling that I have access to pretty much all (or at least, most) of the game's mechanics available to me already, I just don't know how to activate them....

Anyway I'm on B150 now and I have a fighting game input doppelganger where L/R is reversed but not U/D??

Artelier fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 12, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Artelier posted:

I have this sick feeling that I have access to pretty much all (or at least, most) of the game's mechanics available to me already, I just don't know how to activate them....

correct, good luck

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is this just about repeating the same puzzles multiple times? I got a "normal" ending I didn't realize how the staff worked so I died on the very first screen of the game with no fairies and stayed in void mode throughout. At around B2xx or so I got a blank area where I decided to try to build one of the mural codes I've seen throughout the game, but suddenly a song started up and started warping me through various more and more broken levels before the game exited. The second run through seems to be exactly the same as the first apart from some diamonds I can collect that I don't think were there the first time, and all the trees are withered since I got them the first time round, and some dialog changes. I don't really feel like repeatedly doing all the floors again. Did I miss something?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

Is this just about repeating the same puzzles multiple times? I got a "normal" ending I didn't realize how the staff worked so I died on the very first screen of the game with no fairies and stayed in void mode throughout. At around B2xx or so I got a blank area where I decided to try to build one of the mural codes I've seen throughout the game, but suddenly a song started up and started warping me through various more and more broken levels before the game exited. The second run through seems to be exactly the same as the first apart from some diamonds I can collect that I don't think were there the first time, and all the trees are withered since I got them the first time round, and some dialog changes. I don't really feel like repeatedly doing all the floors again. Did I miss something?

the song & warpy rooms are the Voided ending

if you can make it all the way through without going Void, you'll get a different ending and unlock hard mode

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

so yesterday somewhere in the 100s I was given a hint about falling or going down in front of the "smirking" statues being a shortcut. Then later in the 160s I saw a four-eyed black statue and thought "what if I do the same thing?"

long story short I don't want to play this game anymore :( all the way back to B001 are you for loving real with me here???? arrrgh

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Hwurmp posted:

the song & warpy rooms are the Voided ending

if you can make it all the way through without going Void, you'll get a different ending and unlock hard mode

Is that required for continuing? Because I find it hard enough doing the game in normal mode with all the mistakes I do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

Is that required for continuing? Because I find it hard enough doing the game in normal mode with all the mistakes I do.

if you are dying a whole, whole lot and can't keep hold of your locusts, there is a cheaty secret that may help

before opening any locust chest, push down into it from the top 3 times and then wait 3 seconds

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ymgve posted:

Die on purpose and reject the fruit. You earned a relevant present when you finished the void run but the game won't tell you until you go back to the brand entry screen.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

No Wave posted:

If you're going to quit the game anyways you can at least (big big spoilers) copy the pattern of the third mural (B57) onto floor B67. you might find sticking around more enticing.

Thanks, I'll try it.

I tried recreating one of the murals on a floor with the same number of tiles during my first run, and nothing happened. I figured I wasn't doing it right.

Edit: That didn't do anything that I could see. Ended up on the next floor.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 12, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

No Wave posted:

Die on purpose and reject the fruit. You earned a relevant present when you finished the void run but the game won't tell you until you go back to the brand entry screen.

How do I restart my run?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks, I'll try it.

I tried recreating one of the murals on a floor with the same number of tiles during my first run, and nothing happened. I figured I wasn't doing it right.
Oh I see. Yeah this is dumb but (spoiler) you have to be holding the stairs. I didn't figure it out on my own either.

ymgve posted:

How do I restart my run?
If (not a spoiler for ymgve) you're voided you have to find a black four eyes statue and put stairs directly under it (like the stairs steup you walked into at the end of your void run), then die and reject the fruit. If you're not voided just die and reject the fruit. These are both ways to go back to the title screen.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 12, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

No Wave posted:

If (not a spoiler for ymgve) you're voided you have to find a black four eyes statue and put stairs directly under it (like the stairs steup you walked into at the end of your void run), then die and reject the fruit. If you're not voided just die and reject the fruit. These are both ways to go back to the title screen.

One of the recent patches changed a thing that I don't want to even bother spoiling since it's pretty critical to know-- if you're voided but want to bail all the way back to the "put in a brand" screen, if you jump down any pit enough times in succession you'll end up on a black screen. If you hit A several times you'll get back up and keep going, but if you hit A once and then leave the controller alone you'll eventually just die. Holding select after that will quit the game and let you restart with a new brand.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

One of the recent patches changed a thing that I don't want to even bother spoiling since it's pretty critical to know-- if you're voided but want to bail all the way back to the "put in a brand" screen, if you jump down any pit enough times in succession you'll end up on a black screen. If you hit A several times you'll get back up and keep going, but if you hit A once and then leave the controller alone you'll eventually just die. Holding select after that will quit the game and let you restart with a new brand.
I imagine people were just (big spoilers) getting stuck as itemless NG+. Though there is straight up no other way out of NG++ outside of victory or the freakin easter egg.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

No Wave posted:

I imagine people were just (big spoilers) getting stuck as itemless NG+. Though there is straight up no other way out of NG++ outside of victory or the freakin easter egg.

Yeah, it doesn't do poo poo for NG++ but bailing on NG+ is almost a given if you took all the items in your first run

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

No Wave posted:

Oh I see. Yeah this is dumb but (spoiler) you have to be holding the stairs. I didn't figure it out on my own either.
Oh for gently caress's sake. I love hidden stuff in games, but this is so incredibly obtuse and fiddly.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Ok, NOW things are happening. I'm a bit annoyed by games that hide basic mechanics like "restart the game" behind obscure stuff like that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ymgve posted:

Ok, NOW things are happening. I'm a bit annoyed by games that hide basic mechanics like "restart the game" behind obscure stuff like that.

The fact that it wasn't even an option pre-1.0.2 can probably be chalked up to the tiny-rear end team-- it feels like one of those "all your playtesters were too into the game to run into the obvious issues a fresh player would have" kind of thing. The devs seem to be pretty responsive so these sorts of really rough edges are probably going to get a bit more ground down over time. I had a really fun rant about wasting an hour+ on a really bitterly bad spot later on that they apparently improved as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I've added a short FAQ to the OP that covers some of the most common questions i've seen in the thread so far. no idea how much it'll help, but it's there now

ymgve posted:

it sorta makes sense based on the expected flow of play for new players: void immediately on their first run, return to the start at the end, recognize that they need to complete the game outside of void mode to see a real ending, and then refuse the fruit the next time they run out of lives

this leads most players to find out about the reset (and the special brands) in a timely manner, but of course there's going to be plenty of people who don't quite play the game in that way, which leads to a lucky few players that end up neck deep in hard mode without ever knowing there's a way out

personally, i love that this game has so much friction, but i totally understand anybody who gets frustrated by it. and i obviously don't mind the devs adding more tutorialization as they go