Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1701273046802104365

“I have faith in Chile and its destiny. Other men will overcome this gray and bitter moment when treason seeks to prevail. Keep in mind that, sooner rather than later, the great avenues will open again and free men will walk through them to construct a better society. Long live Chile! Long live the people! Long live the workers!”

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

i say swears online posted:

oh this may seem dumb, but would claudia's heritage be welcomed in NL and coah because of secularism? many of my friends in those two states are irreligious and claim heritage from sephardic jews escaping the inquisition many years previous to the period in question

Probably not, no. It is accurate that there's a lot of sephardic ancestry in the northeast. NL was founded as a jewish friendly kindgom hoping to attract conversos and practicing jews fleeing persecution as settlers, which did indeed work, for a time. The Mexican inquisition would eventually crack down on open practice of the Jewish religion, but a lot of customs remained. Cabrito being the most famous among them. Anyone from an old family in NL can probably trace their ancestry to one of those original settlers. Even so, there's no one in the present day identifying as Sephardic Mexican or Jewish Mexican* who might celebrate her heritage. The whole thing is mostly a forgotten bit of history.

If I had to guess, the average person on the street in Saltillo or Monterrey doesn't care at all about Sheinbaum's ethnicity or religion. AMLO not being catholic was a non-issue in 2018. Of course, he was still male and christian, so maybe we'll have to wait and see how Sheinbaum fares once the election is truly underway.

*Or at least there wasn't until Spain and Portugal started offering citizenship to the descendants of sephardic jews lmao

Kal-L posted:

I've lived in the north of the country and let me tell you that my personal opinion is... NO. They may claim secularism and irreligiousness, but those areas are also pretty classist and conservative. What I'm saying is brace yourself to see some memes from there that will be copypasted from 4chan.

I've noticed in the past year or two a lot of clearly US-imported right wing tripe about cultural marxism and the woke mind virus, etc. appearing in mexican socials, something I'd never seen before. Even saw someone post about a loving Sound of Freedom screening. I guess it was inevitable this poo poo would start making the jump across the border. They're not sending their best.

It wouldn't surprise if as the election heats up we also get q-anon or 8chan antisemitism/nazi poo poo brought over by the more deranged ultraconservative catholics from FRENAAAAAAAA, but broadly I still think 95% of people will not give a poo poo about Sheinbaum being Jewish.

Ojetor has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Sep 11, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah secular, classist and conservative is a good description of a lot of people in the north. i ended up asking my friend and he just said jajajaja xochitl no claudia

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NPR's The World is interviewing young members of the chilean military saying how sad they are about being disrespected by leftists because of a coup they weren't even involved in

WSJ has a story out as well:

https://www.wsj.com/world/americas/fifty-years-on-u-s-backed-coup-in-chile-stirs-divisions-e0217b6f

quote:

A March poll by Chilean firm Mori found that only 42% of respondents think the coup destroyed democracy, compared with 63% in 2013. Some 36% said Pinochet’s takeover freed Chile from Marxism, up from 18% in 2013. Another Chilean pollster, Pulso Ciudadano, showed 56.5% of respondents cared little or not at all about the commemoration and cast more blame on Allende than Chile’s army and the U.S. for the coup.

In recent forums leading up to Monday’s observance, historians and some prominent Allende-era figures have re-examined Allende’s rule, careful not to encourage Chileans who justify the coup but wanting to debunk myths that they say drive a new generation to risk making mistakes similar to those of the late president.

“One has to analyze how Allende managed the process and why this led to the tragedy,” said Sergio Bitar, a minister in Allende’s cabinet. “Not just blame the military and the Americans and the extreme right, but to ask what was done wrong.”

Carlos Ominami, who was in the armed Movement of the Revolutionary Left that tried to prod Allende into adopting a Cuban-style revolution, now emphasizes how Allende’s economic policies resulted in hyperinflation, food shortages and a black market for scarce goods.

“All of that created a climate that was very favorable for the coup,” said Ominami, who describes Allende as “a social democrat with a revolutionary complex” because of his admiration for Fidel Castro.

At Allende’s invitation, Castro crisscrossed Chile in 1971, delivering incendiary speeches that eroded middle-class support for the government. “Allende didn’t have the nerve to say, ‘Look Fidel, you’ve got to go,’ ” Ominami said.

Boric’s approval rating sank to 28% this month, from 32% in August, according to a Criteria poll.

The poll also showed that 55% viewed the coup commemoration as divisive.

Boric, who was a toddler when a referendum in 1988 set the stage for Pinochet’s exit two years later, has publicly said his family was part of a centrist party that opposed Allende, though they didn’t support his overthrow.

“I told my father, ‘I would have supported President Allende,’ ” Boric recalled in a recent televised interview. “He told me that we had a mythical view of Allende.”
shut the gently caress up carlos

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

every new detail about boric’s background seems like a red flag in retrospect

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Ojetor posted:

It wouldn't surprise if as the election heats up we also get q-anon or 8chan antisemitism/nazi poo poo brought over by the more deranged ultraconservative catholics from FRENAAAAAAAA, but broadly I still think 95% of people will not give a poo poo about Sheinbaum being Jewish.

Funny you mentioned Sound of Freedom because... they're already here.

https://elpais.com/mexico/2023-09-0...-de-mexico.html

Eduardo Verastegui,producer of that movie, and with ties to the American right and people like Steve Bannon, has registered as an independent candidate for the 2024 election.

i say swears online posted:

yeah secular, classist and conservative is a good description of a lot of people in the north. i ended up asking my friend and he just said jajajaja xochitl no claudia

Well, at least by having two women candidates mean the sexism will cancel itself, right? Right? :smith:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
lmao

https://twitter.com/AmericaElige/status/1701313900371660901

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

juanita guaido indeed

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
if ebrard wasn't doing a vanity run out of spite doña sheinbaum would be doing saddam hussein numbers

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

haha

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ojetor posted:

I've noticed in the past year or two a lot of clearly US-imported right wing tripe about cultural marxism and the woke mind virus, etc. appearing in mexican socials, something I'd never seen before. Even saw someone post about a loving Sound of Freedom screening. I guess it was inevitable this poo poo would start making the jump across the border. They're not sending their best.

sound of freedom actually had a lot of buzz over here for some reason, not sure it actually had to do much with the culture war tho

i agree about a lot more ring wing tripe being imported lately. in fact i felt like the recent problems with the SEP textbooks was the first big battle in the culture wars

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

every new detail about boric’s background seems like a red flag in retrospect
I have a bernie style boric shirt and it's the saddest item of clothing I own

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Frame it and put it in your living room as a constant reminder

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Xóchitl Gálvez - She has received the blessing of a divine butterfly for her campaign to be the President of Mexico.

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2023/09/a-butterfly-the-divine-sign-that-xochitl-galvez-received-to-seek-the-presidency/

A butterfly: The ‘divine’ sign that Xóchitl Gálvez received to seek the Presidency
September 12, 2023

In an interview with Yuridia Sierra, the PAN senator assured that no one imposed her as a candidate of the Broad Front for Mexico – as President Andrés Manuel López Obrador claims – and that she made the decision to seek the candidacy of the opposition alliance after visiting the hill where her umbilical cord was “buried.”

“I walked to the Sierrita hill in Hidalgo, in Tepatepec. I left at 5:30 in the morning and arrived at the place where I usually sit, and I was there looking around when suddenly a butterfly with many colors landed; I wanted to record it with my cell phone, but it flew away. I said, that’s the sign, and I started crying and crying and crying,” she recounted.

https://archive.ph/o/A8hhd/https://...the-presidency/

“The decision was not made by (Vicente) Fox, (Carlos) Salinas, Claudio X. González, or anyone else. I made the decision with that sign and by listening to my heart, and I made it out of love for this country,” she added.

According to Xóchitl Gálvez, she has made several decisions on that same hill:
- Moving from Tepatepec to Mexico City
- Accepting Vicente Fox’s invitation to join his cabinet
- Seeking the Presidency of the Republic

“I said, ‘Mom, I have to make a decision, whether to stay in Mexico City or to be a candidate for the Presidency,’ and I said, ‘you have to send me a sign if you want me to be the presidential candidate,'” she recalled.

Before seeking the coordination of the Broad Front for Mexico, Xóchitl Gálvez led the polls to become the candidate of the PAN-PRI-PRD… but for the head of government of Mexico City.

It wasn’t until AMLO denied her the right to reply to her position on social programs that her name began to be mentioned as a presidential candidate.

Two days after receiving that signal, she revealed her presidential aspirations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Is that the local version of damp bints distributing swords?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hope you at least didn't pay money for the privilege of owning yourself twice with one article of clothing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fizzy posted:

Good news for Xóchitl Gálvez - She has received the blessing of a divine butterfly for her campaign to be the President of Mexico.

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2023/09/a-butterfly-the-divine-sign-that-xochitl-galvez-received-to-seek-the-presidency/

A butterfly: The ‘divine’ sign that Xóchitl Gálvez received to seek the Presidency
September 12, 2023

In an interview with Yuridia Sierra, the PAN senator assured that no one imposed her as a candidate of the Broad Front for Mexico – as President Andrés Manuel López Obrador claims – and that she made the decision to seek the candidacy of the opposition alliance after visiting the hill where her umbilical cord was “buried.”

“I walked to the Sierrita hill in Hidalgo, in Tepatepec. I left at 5:30 in the morning and arrived at the place where I usually sit, and I was there looking around when suddenly a butterfly with many colors landed; I wanted to record it with my cell phone, but it flew away. I said, that’s the sign, and I started crying and crying and crying,” she recounted.

https://archive.ph/o/A8hhd/https://...the-presidency/

“The decision was not made by (Vicente) Fox, (Carlos) Salinas, Claudio X. González, or anyone else. I made the decision with that sign and by listening to my heart, and I made it out of love for this country,” she added.

According to Xóchitl Gálvez, she has made several decisions on that same hill:
- Moving from Tepatepec to Mexico City
- Accepting Vicente Fox’s invitation to join his cabinet
- Seeking the Presidency of the Republic

“I said, ‘Mom, I have to make a decision, whether to stay in Mexico City or to be a candidate for the Presidency,’ and I said, ‘you have to send me a sign if you want me to be the presidential candidate,'” she recalled.

Before seeking the coordination of the Broad Front for Mexico, Xóchitl Gálvez led the polls to become the candidate of the PAN-PRI-PRD… but for the head of government of Mexico City.

It wasn’t until AMLO denied her the right to reply to her position on social programs that her name began to be mentioned as a presidential candidate.

Two days after receiving that signal, she revealed her presidential aspirations.

lmao it's dubya praying on his ranch

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looking good!
https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1701914747661132224?s=20

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Nurgle’s greatest servant

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is this malingering for pity or is he just an extraordinarily cursed man

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://news.sky.com/story/1-000-year-old-alien-corpses-displayed-in-glass-cases-in-mexico-12960435

Lol what the hell, Mexico had their own alien hearings.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

classic bolso at it again

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

La verdad está ahí fuera

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is this malingering for pity or is he just an extraordinarily cursed man

The former, but not quite. He's delaying interrogation by the feds for health reasons.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bolso leg lengthening surgery arc

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

La verdad está ahí fuera

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, they found a scheme where Bozo's group would take state gifts and rather than bringing them to Brazil they'd go unreported and one of his helpers would go and sell it in the US. Just recently the main guy doing this for him entered into a plea deal with the feds and is rolling on him.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

he’s getting that penis surgery that killed that one euro billionaire

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/13/crenshaw-u-s-military-force-mexico-00115691

Crenshaw says using U.S. military force in Mexico isn’t as extreme as it sounds

The entire point is psychological warfare against the cartels

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

somehow, bolsotine returned

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

maussan has been going on tv with lovely alien artifacts and corpses for at least as long as i've been alive

i've seen a lot of stupid poo poo from him but these ones really take the cake

ayy lmao

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

behold, the paragon of the south american right

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Bom gráfico 👍

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Is there a good book recommendation going into the background of Venezuela - covering what the political situation was that lead to Chavez's coup and why he was so popular compared to the opposition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1702315161904648354