Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
AV Club did a list of 40 all time stand up specials that took me back a bit and turned me on to some new stuff

https://www.avclub.com/best-stand-up-comedy-specials-1850684604/slides/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
No "the day the laughter died"?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Harminoff posted:

No "the day the laughter died"?

That was an album. Double album in fact.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Sitting in the theatre about to see Conner O'Malley. My second bailed and none of my friends wanted the extra ticket, but that's cool. I honestly have no idea what to expect from his standup, I've only ever seen him through guest spots on ITYSL and other shows, and his ludicrous YouTube videos. I'm excited.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Sitting in the theatre about to see Conner O'Malley. My second bailed and none of my friends wanted the extra ticket, but that's cool. I honestly have no idea what to expect from his standup, I've only ever seen him through guest spots on ITYSL and other shows, and his ludicrous YouTube videos. I'm excited.

What was it like?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

WerthersWay posted:

What was it like?

I'm super curious too, but one thing is certain: there was a lot of screaming.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, he screamed a lot. The whole set (90 minutes!) was basically framed like a pitch for his 'Stand-Up Solutions' service. He was in character as some name I can't remember, and wore a baseball cap and an ill-fitting blue polo shirt tucked into equally ill-fitting khaki pants with a horizontal phone holster on his belt. There was a projector and he showed slides and also video clips of 'the world's first AI stand-up comic'. He went on about everything from his extremely-alpha daily routine and diet (one of my favourite bits; his workout included 'outdoor yelling' and 'ape run on treadmill', both of which he had clips of him doing). He had some good audience interactions too, including asking someone "What're your pronouns? ... OK, how many Polaks does it take to make chocolate chip ice cream?" and he took someone's phone and 'scanned it' on his laptop, using it to feed the 'AI stand-up comic' and create a 'customized routine' for that one person (which was of course just really edgy offensive stuff).

And yeah, the screaming. He screamed a lot, the most of which was when he talked about his 'origin story' where he was on a picnic with his wife and kids and they were murdered by "a bunch of old Italian men" so he became The Punisher. He repeatedly screamed "NOOOOO" for like a minute straight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That all sounds amazing. Conner is the only person who could come out as a new character nobody has seen and do this stuff and it absolutely rule.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Zach Galifianakis still doing stand-up?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The new Todd Barry special is up on YouTube. It's... a little meh? Like, not bad, but not quite as good as his previous stuff.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Saw Kinane tonight. Was on my short list for sure. Absolutely killed and has apparently been filming this week for a special.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Tony Phillips posted:

Saw Kinane tonight. Was on my short list for sure. Absolutely killed and has apparently been filming this week for a special.

Nice, I'd really like to catch him live. I feel like shock n struts and trampoline were sillier than his usual stuff, but maybe that's where he wants to take it. I don't mind, I enjoy it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man Michelle Wolf's new special/series is hysterical. I was crying laughing a few times.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat I was only wondering recently if she had something due as it’d felt ages since the last.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tony Phillips posted:

I’ve seen him live so many times and he’s great every time. The best time I saw him was on a small boat in Long Beach California with like 15 other people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

The new Todd Barry special is up on YouTube. It's... a little meh? Like, not bad, but not quite as good as his previous stuff.

I liked it. Thanks for letting me know it was out.

I somehow wound up in a YT rabbit hole that led me to an interview with Dice Clay and Marc Maron.

That led me to a VICE series called "The Dark Side of Comedy", which I'm going through now.

I know that Dice, Murphy, Kinison and others catch a lot of poo poo for some very dated and extremely bigoted material but, in Andrew's case, it always ALWAYS struck me that I was watching a parody of an idiot; a character that he was lampooning that I saw all over the place living in Philadelphia and was an act that I never took seriously. The problem starts, though, with the quick realization that his audience doesn't seem to be entirely in on the joke. I watched Dice Rules and the crowd reactions were unsettling, mean and angry.

Dice talks about this on his WTF Marc Maron podcast where he explains that the entire bit is a satirical takedown on lunk headed, stereotypical Brooklyn guido types, and that's how I always took his act. He speaks on how he never quite understood that a large segment of his fans didn't get this. But the lightning in a bottle he captured in the late 80's that rocketed him to rock star status was inseparable from the type of audience that thinks that AIDS jokes, misogyny, racism and gay people are topics in and of themselves. I'm a bisexual male and never took exception to Dice's jokes but of course I get why many people would.

It's a weird dichotomy because I honestly don't think that Andrew himself is really like this, based on the interviews I've listened to at least. Most comedians seemed to be aware that none of his poo poo was coming from a serious place. It just packed houses - filled with people seeking an outlet for their prejudice - and made him a fortune. He started out doing several characters and Diceman was the one that caught on.

Does this say more about the artist or the audience?

Reminded me of the time I went to a GWAR show in the early 90's. I was wearing a Fishbone t-shirt that said "gently caress racism" and the concert hall had a not insignificant number of actual skin head nazis who took the band's schtick seemingly at face value. GWAR was openly mocking from the stage in between songs but, like Clay's audience, they were too stupid to pick up on it. I was honestly concerned for my safety given my attire and stayed near the back but it was so weird seeing an act that's clearly a satirical art project, and who were basically filling a venue with idiots they despise.

Here's the VICE segment I watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igzQNEkznG4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Reggie Watts came into my work the other day. He was buying a looper, a Boss RC505, which I thought was super weird because I always saw him using an EHX unit in videos instead. Anyway, super nice guy, unmistakable voice.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I liked it. Thanks for letting me know it was out.

I somehow wound up in a YT rabbit hole that led me to an interview with Dice Clay and Marc Maron.

That led me to a VICE series called "The Dark Side of Comedy", which I'm going through now.

I know that Dice, Murphy, Kinison and others catch a lot of poo poo for some very dated and extremely bigoted material but, in Andrew's case, it always ALWAYS struck me that I was watching a parody of an idiot; a character that he was lampooning that I saw all over the place living in Philadelphia and was an act that I never took seriously. The problem starts, though, with the quick realization that his audience doesn't seem to be entirely in on the joke. I watched Dice Rules and the crowd reactions were unsettling, mean and angry.

Dice talks about this on his WTF Marc Maron podcast where he explains that the entire bit is a satirical takedown on lunk headed, stereotypical Brooklyn guido types, and that's how I always took his act. He speaks on how he never quite understood that a large segment of his fans didn't get this. But the lightning in a bottle he captured in the late 80's that rocketed him to rock star status was inseparable from the type of audience that thinks that AIDS jokes, misogyny, racism and gay people are topics in and of themselves. I'm a bisexual male and never took exception to Dice's jokes but of course I get why many people would.

It's a weird dichotomy because I honestly don't think that Andrew himself is really like this, based on the interviews I've listened to at least. Most comedians seemed to be aware that none of his poo poo was coming from a serious place. It just packed houses - filled with people seeking an outlet for their prejudice - and made him a fortune. He started out doing several characters and Diceman was the one that caught on.

Does this say more about the artist or the audience?

Reminded me of the time I went to a GWAR show in the early 90's. I was wearing a Fishbone t-shirt that said "gently caress racism" and the concert hall had a not insignificant number of actual skin head nazis who took the band's schtick seemingly at face value. GWAR was openly mocking from the stage in between songs but, like Clay's audience, they were too stupid to pick up on it. I was honestly concerned for my safety given my attire and stayed near the back but it was so weird seeing an act that's clearly a satirical art project, and who were basically filling a venue with idiots they despise.

Here's the VICE segment I watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igzQNEkznG4

I'm sorry but "I didn't know how my audience was reacting to the joke", coming from a professional comedian just doesn't hold water for me. I do believe him when he says it was a character that he was making fun of, but the guy did stadium tours and sold millions of records because he gave his audience exactly what they wanted. I'm sure he met plenty of fans who told him exactly what they liked about his set too. This wasn't some accident. Sure he wants to clean up his image now but do some loving work, Dice. He can't just say he didn't know.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Right. I don't really buy it either and it all seems patently obvious that Dice was just riding the gravy train, counting money and achieving his stated dream of being the biggest rock star comic in history at the time; doing whatever it took to get there. I'd still say the act was clearly satirical and that, for the most part, I doubt that he's really like that in his day to day life.

He kind of stumbled into it, since the Dice persona was just one of several characters he was doing when he first started out and which became the most popular. I get the criticism and backlash and certainly history has not been kind. But he's not an untalented hack either. He had good timing, did some great impressions and is a good actor - in addition to knowing how to work a crowd, for better or worse.

I think he can be genuinely funny but, eventually, (like Kinison too) everything became about the persona.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Isn't that the same thing that happened with Larry the Cable Guy? Dude was just doing a character to kind of make fun of a certain type of dude, and then that type of dude became his audience, which became huge?

As a performer, that kind of success has gotta be bittersweet. A little like a band whose only hit single is a cover.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If we want to talk stand ups that got lost in their personas...

efb

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 1, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^I don't know who that is^^

skeletronics posted:

Isn't that the same thing that happened with Larry the Cable Guy? Dude was just doing a character to kind of make fun of a certain type of dude, and then that type of dude became his audience, which became huge?

Yes, that's a good example I think.

Even though Larry's poo poo isn't nearly as offensive as peak Dice or rock star Sam, the guy just kind of struck gold doing a character that resonated with people and everyone wants money, especially artists. If I were doing stand up and created, say, a parody of some MAGA/Q adjacent talk radio listener who mainlined Sean Hannity that was played entirely for laughs and then, all of a sudden, I was packing audiences of 10,000 people who unironically AGREED with me and being invited on podcasts and talk shows and poo poo, I'd probably roll with it even if my audience wasn't entirely in on the joke.

Except I'd probably take great pains to make sure my interviews and whatnot were "out of character" and go out of my way to emphasize my "off stage" persona, rather than lean into it and keep being that famous persona. Stephen Colbert comes to mind in this regard. He was lampooning Bill O'Reilly but a large percentage of his audience thought he was totally serious.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That picture's also Larry the Cable Guy, before he established his bit.

I used to hear him on the radio in the 90's and thought he was kind of amusing. There were definitely elements of what would become his stand up persona with some catchphrases and stuff, but it was more obviously just a weird character somebody was doing, because he had a straight man to bounce off of and who acted like he was a little ridiculous.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 1, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I also think of Foxworthy, who carved out his whole "I'm a Redneck, haha" persona that he managed to eventually parlay into a TV show and untold wealth. Again, just by tapping into a certain audience that was largely ignored or under represented. I don't know if that was always his thing or not but all you need is a catchphrase that catches on a lot of times. Ron White was the best comedian on that Redneck tour by far but Larry and Jeff became the big stars. I even forget who the 4th dude was.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Foxworthy was huge before the early 00's white trash comedy thing. Dude was the headliner for a reason

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I even forget who the 4th dude was.

Ron White is legit a funny dude.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Same for bobcat golthwait, just a character there too.

Maybe the same with Gilbert gottfried? There's audio of his "regular voice" from Stern, but not sure how real/true that is?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Foxworthy was huge before the early 00's white trash comedy thing. Dude was the headliner for a reason

I know and I didn't mean to imply that the White Trash entourage was what launched him. I even recall seeing cassettes of his in gas stations all over the south and midwest as far back as 1990. I just meant he tapped into a "character" of sorts.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I really want a thorough dissection of of whole Blue Collar thing because goddamn did a lot of rural people I knew growing up loving loathe it. It did really well with suburbanites who fancied themselves rural but did it really play THAT well with rural populations? Like I knew a couple farm kids who would fight you for saying "git er done" back when and my grandpa from rural West Virginia had a similar hatred of Foxworthy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My dad who was originally from a small town in Pennsylvania but moved to Michigan to work for Chrysler loved it. It "spoke to him" even though he wasn't in that demographic AT ALL anymore. My mom had books by Foxworthy.

That was really the time where catch phrase comedy was huge, people wanted to hear GIT ER DONE rather than listening to Bill Hicks talk about George Bush.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Medullah posted:

That was really the time where catch phrase comedy was huge, people wanted to hear GIT ER DONE rather than listening to Bill Hicks talk about George Bush.

I feel obligated to share these, since they are pretty great parodies of a lot of the one-note catch phrase comedians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6PCcM39Pgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UHLycoFTbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxbpfu_1d8

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
YOU EVER COME HOME TO YOUR WIFE

EATIN DOOKIE?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

In news that will surprise no one, Kyle Kinane is still very good at standing up comedy

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
My wife and I have liked Ali Siddiq for a few years now since seeing his appearances on "This is Not Happening."

The first time we saw him was at a Rick Bronson's - a chain comedy club in the top floor of the Mall of America. There were 23 people there. I know that cause when he came out he counted us and laughed at how much him mom would have loved seeing this cause it's the kind of thing that keeps you humble. We saw him there again a year or so later and while the crowd was bigger it was still probably only 150 people or so.

The tickets I just bought are for an upcoming theater tour - his first. Here in MN he's playing a theater with just over 1000 seats.

I like comedy a fair amount - certainly more than the average person. At the same time, I'm not that on top of things to know who's drawing what crowd wise, etc. Has Ali Siddiq gotten that popular? I know he placed 2nd on some comedy showcase TV show a few years back (Had to cancel a 3rd visit to Rick Bronson's due to it in fact) and I assume he got some decent exposure from that. But despite how much *I* like him - I feel a little surprised that he's at this level now.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
If I went to a theater for a stand-up act, I’m expecting to see someone that’s got a polished 60ish minutes that’s been pretty finely honed. At a comedy club, hopefully they have some funny bits they can rely on, but also they might be playing around with some things that they want to polish. My guess is that “a comedian at a theater” would be the draw over “this specific comedian at a theater” to a lot of people.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Coco13 posted:

If I went to a theater for a stand-up act, I’m expecting to see someone that’s got a polished 60ish minutes that’s been pretty finely honed. At a comedy club, hopefully they have some funny bits they can rely on, but also they might be playing around with some things that they want to polish. My guess is that “a comedian at a theater” would be the draw over “this specific comedian at a theater” to a lot of people.

Yeah a polished hour is way funnier but seeing a good comedian working poo poo out at an open mic or in a club is fascinating to me.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Looks like Ali is still going club heavy until the end of the year and the theatre dates are picking up after that, likely coinciding with the special he's taping in a couple weeks. At some point (and I'm long past my days of any behind the scenes insight in to the economics of venue booking), a barely sold theatre still makes more sense than a packed Bronson's or ACME.

Worth noting that Pantages is part of Hennepin Theatre Trust, just as a lot of venues are wrapped up in larger group. If sales drastically underwhelm, they can always shuffle him off to whatever they're calling the downtown Brave New Workshop now.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Looks like Ali is still going club heavy until the end of the year and the theatre dates are picking up after that, likely coinciding with the special he's taping in a couple weeks. At some point (and I'm long past my days of any behind the scenes insight in to the economics of venue booking), a barely sold theatre still makes more sense than a packed Bronson's or ACME.

Worth noting that Pantages is part of Hennepin Theatre Trust, just as a lot of venues are wrapped up in larger group. If sales drastically underwhelm, they can always shuffle him off to whatever they're calling the downtown Brave New Workshop now.

Good point on theater vs. Bronson's/Acme. (Though I'll take a show at the Acme every drat time.)

Also, a little side LOL as I know I've been to the Pantages, State and Orpheum theaters and in my head they're all pretty interchangeable. Hell - I don't think I could accurately point to which is which on a map without seeing the marque. But looking at their seating capacities and they're absolutely not the same with The Pantages being half the capacity roughly.

At the end of the day - the moral of my posts is that Ali Siddiq is great and you should see him if you can.

Also - after seeing him the first time, he was happily chatting with the people that had come. Spent a minute chatting and somehow having previously seen Joey Diaz at Rick Bronson's had come up. From the no loving poo poo obvious files - my wife and I were informed that should Joey Diaz ever offer you weed, run the Hell away. The bit in Segura's new special had us laughing our asses off remembering that advice.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I watched Shayne Smith's routine about being banned from karate tournaments last night. Pretty funny, laughed out loud several times. I checked out some of his other stuff, and... man that karate routine is pretty funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Strange Cares posted:

Yeah a polished hour is way funnier but seeing a good comedian working poo poo out at an open mic or in a club is fascinating to me.

I have a lot of respect for anyone that even tries it. I can be funny here and there and have been described as funny by some but it's always contextual and based on things that are happening naturally unless it's a joke I'm telling. For the life of me, the idea of having to be funny at exactly 8pm on a thursday night in front of a bunch of people expecting to laugh is really daunting. Like, regardless of your mood, what kind of day you had, how long you had to work poo poo out (like you said), the pressure of really needing to deliver no matter the circumstances or the environment has to be intimidating, if not completely terrifying.

I've been to some open mic nights and have thought about trying it myself and even if they're not doing well I have a lot of respect for anyone who tries. BE FUNNY on command...NOW!...Man.

It's like...imagine the difference between even finding some funny poo poo to riff on at a party in a small group compared to how funny you might be if suddenly the whole party got silent and started listening to you tell your jokes.