Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
quantization is literally the oldest neural net optimization, they did it with the original publication of boltzmann machine back in '87

it bespeaks a certain thing about neural net as a field that we dont really understand it still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
boltzmann tuning overdrive

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

quantization is literally the oldest neural net optimization, they did it with the original publication of boltzmann machine back in '87

it bespeaks a certain thing about neural net as a field that we dont really understand it still

i bet it has something to do with the eigenthingies.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
ultimately a huge factor of the success in LLMs is public vibes around whether they're "good" and whether they "work". if you expect them to work, you give them more generous readings. if you expect them to fail, you scrutinize their output and see loads of problems. claiming your black box is magically effective cuts both ways

if openai has mismanaged their pr game to the point where public opinion is against chatgpt the results are indistinguishable from the product itself being worse

(the product is probably also worse)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

raminasi posted:

new pm update: she was invited to a feature brainstorming meeting. she asked zero questions. as it was concluding, she requested that we schedule a follow-up meeting to summarize the outcome of the meeting we just had.

This is just normal project manager behavior

I have a PMP class today so I can get in on this grift. I’ve never met a single one that was worth a drat and I want to sit at home, say buzzwords, and make calendar invites for figgies too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

ultimately a huge factor of the success in LLMs is public vibes around whether they're "good" and whether they "work". if you expect them to work, you give them more generous readings. if you expect them to fail, you scrutinize their output and see loads of problems. claiming your black box is magically effective cuts both ways

if openai has mismanaged their pr game to the point where public opinion is against chatgpt the results are indistinguishable from the product itself being worse

(the product is probably also worse)

yeah, i think part of openai's problem in particular is probably the media largely souring on it as they've seen colleagues get replaced by LLMs (and with objectively pretty bad results no less). there's been a lot more negativity towards the concept of using one in general than there was when it was a novelty. but that's also just a corollary of the hype cycle imo, of course there's going to be some significant backlash, and the media drives public opinion for better or worse

though if the output is truly getting worse in quality (as it seems to be), that obviously just lends credence to that perception. so i guess yeah, their PR is failing them at the moment. and that's pretty funny imo, it's been otherwise one of the more successful campaigns i've seen in a while

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Eeyo posted:

call me a curmudgeon but i just don't like tiktok and i won't be sad to see it go. my brain feels physically bad if i view tiktoks, and i'm 100% sure the youths will be better for it if it's banned.

this also goes for youtube shorts and whatever mark zuckerberg calls his thing so they should be banned too.

:same: plus I consume most internet media at work and sound just isn’t gonna happen then.

The videos are also some stupid or gross poo poo. Last Christmas my partners feed was people yelling about their kids and how they’re using the holiday to punish them.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i had to sit through a presentation about ai voices earlier this week, and the guy who was building this product (just tying some apis together) was incredibly stupid.

he did not know that in normal text to speech applications, even ones from 15 years ago, you could just put language tags around foreign words and have the synth voice read them as if they're french/spanish/whatever. instead, he claimed it was absolutely necessary to upload a 'pronunciation key' per occurrence of the foreign word.

yeah, sure, i'm going to do all that poo poo, instead of just putting <es>unas parolas</es> in language tags.

all these ai products are just throwing away so many things that were developed in the past and that worked perfectly fine.

anyway, i wasn't there to do the guy's homework, so i didn't tell him how easy it would be to solve his stupid problem

also, i found out that the fake woman voice that tiktok has is supposed to sound like a "valley girl?"
i think it's the cadence that makes it sounds much more asian than american. and i guess it doesn't help that everyone knows it as the tiktok voice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ah, but have you considered that ai is revolutionary and therefore changes everything

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i could definitely buy the tiktok voice being based on a chinese speaker's impression of what a "valley girl" voice sounds like

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the tiktok ai voice is awful. demonic. I hate it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
^^ both right

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

valley girl? more like non-regional diction girl

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it would be pretty funny for a text to speech voice to read something like "there is an apple" out loud as "so there's like, an apple? or whatever?"

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

is it this?

https://youtu.be/R5Q1yVLSR3I?feature=shared

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fer sherr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weird nobody ever makes a boston accent for computer stuff

it probably doesn't sound right without all the slurs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch

Shame Boy posted:

honestly the kid did a way better job both with his film project and with being interviewed by weird old dudes for their stupid internet show than i would have at that age lol

here's him showing his documentary if anyone's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSru15dU-18&t=4317s

i didnt watch any of that video but i will say that back in the 80s I filled an entire EP videotape (6hrs) with cal worththington commericals.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

weird nobody ever makes a boston accent for computer stuff

it probably doesn't sound right without all the slurs

my dad had a boston accent on his standalone car gps unit like 15 years ago or w/e

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch

post hole digger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5m1A7zoIcc

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i think of tiktok as concentrated youtube. the "youtube voice" was the bleeding edge of grating and irritating delivery 10 years ago. now they have compressed the same amount of annoyance into a short video by making the voice even more insufferable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

post hole digger posted:

it is truly cursed

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

post hole digger posted:

I've heard speculation text to speech is so popular because a significant portion of America is functionally illiterate.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Truman Peyote posted:

i think of tiktok as concentrated youtube. the "youtube voice" was the bleeding edge of grating and irritating delivery 10 years ago. now they have compressed the same amount of annoyance into a short video by making the voice even more insufferable

but tik tok voice is so bland tho, its got way less cadence to it than youtube voice

(and i thought cadence was the main signifier of youtube voice)

mystes
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I've heard speculation text to speech is so popular because a significant portion of America is functionally illiterate.
so you think people on tiktok are like "hmm I could just make this video by recording my own voice, but oh wait, i'm illiterate, so I'll have to write it out and have the computer read it instead?"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

mystes posted:

so you think people on tiktok are like "hmm I could just make this video by recording my own voice, but oh wait, i'm illiterate, so I'll have to write it out and have the computer read it instead?"

Not the creator, the viewers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

i think more like this rough timeline:

some creators narrate videos -> some creators begin using tts (because voice/pronunciation issues?) -> illiterate viewers tend to watch narrated videos whether tts or not -> algorithm rewards it -> loop -> steal manhole cover

cant say whether thats a thing, but there is a lot of narration going on. also videos instead of articles, maybe facebook was right except it was people prefer 7 second videos over 5k word articles

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

but tik tok voice is so bland tho, its got way less cadence to it than youtube voice

(and i thought cadence was the main signifier of youtube voice)

i guess i'm not talking about the robot voice as much as that awful voice people talk into their cameras with

mystes
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Not the creator, the viewers
It's the creators using tts. Saying "tiktokers must use tts because the viewers are illiterate" is the same as saying "tv shows and movies must use speech rather than text because viewers are illiterate" and makes no sense

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Truman Peyote posted:

i guess i'm not talking about the robot voice as much as that awful voice people talk into their cameras with

i think thats just youtube voice still

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

recording good quality speech is surprisingly difficult and editing a video is hard enough without having to think about wind noise or timecode or w/e

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

bring back typing into notepad while the youtube national anthem plays

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

BMan posted:

bring back typing into notepad while the youtube national anthem plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WPCLda_erI

HI GUYS
TODEY
TOD
TODAY I WILL SHOW U HOW 2
INSTALL NEED 4 SPEED CRACKED

mystes
May 31, 2006

goons must like internet forums because they're hard of hearing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

i mean we're all old so, sure

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
speak up sonny, i can't hear you when you mumble

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

some people in cspam say they prefer reading things for precisely this reason, so yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
and american literacy rates are truly pathetic, i'm not sure that's specifically the reason why tts is used a lot but it seems plausible. it's certainly one reason why people prefer to watch like fox news over reading a newspaper too, and the results of that trend have been disastrous

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i way prefer reading cause its so fast to skim down to whatever i actually wanted to read instead of preambles and digressions and whatnot. thats so much harder to do with a video. it helps a bit that youtube put the "rewatched" graph over the seek thing but its not enough and theyre the only ones doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

It's the creators using tts. Saying "tiktokers must use tts because the viewers are illiterate" is the same as saying "tv shows and movies must use speech rather than text because viewers are illiterate" and makes no sense

tts evolution on tiktok goes something like: captions added so people dont need the sound on when watching in public -> captions mean i dont have to record with my own voice -> tts means i can just have tiktok generate audio for me which saves time.

but its not at all the same as tv or movies having audio. Dialog and performance is important to the work, but that's not really a thing in TTS tiktoks.

in tiktok captions/tts/sounds added from within the app are often just more noise that people add either because thats what other tiktoks do or because they want to cover up the original audio for some reason (the reason is they stole it from someone else).

there is no doubt some population that enjoys tiktok because they dont have to read whats on screen, but its not the reason why captions and tts exist.