Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

acumen posted:

I'm actually kinda curious, because there's a bunch of points in there that are a little premature. I mean it's like someone's a third of the way through Fellowship of the Ring and they're wondering why a dumb hobbit gardener is a main character on an important quest or why there aren't any big battles yet

I mean it's a distinction between percentages and pages/time.

I'm 19 hours into the audiobook for Way of Kings. That may only be 40ish% through the story, but that is the length of the entire Fellowship of the Rings audiobook.

So yeah, if you go with percentages, I'm just about to hit the Council of Elrond. (But I'd argue that a helluva lot more happens in the first 40% of even Fellowship of the Ring than the first 40% of Way of Kings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

acumen posted:

was it this stuff?

road potato posted:

I had assumed CapnAndy was talking about (WOR Spoiler)

But I could be wrong!
Maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought? Surprising, that.

Big spoilers, don't you dare click until you're done with WoR: He asks for Sadeas to be brutally murdered and then specifically calls out Adolin as his murderer-of-choice to do the deed.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought? Surprising, that.

Big spoilers, don't you dare click until you're done with WoR: He asks for Sadeas to be brutally murdered and then specifically calls out Adolin as his murderer-of-choice to do the deed.

For the record, I got it. I also :lol:ed at the request that (big spoilers, don’t you dare click until you’re done with the first four books) Elkohar be assassinated. Ask and ye shall receive

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

This comes down to a personal failing of my own when it comes to empathy. The "Kaladin has depression" talk is something I see talked about a lot. I know that IRL, I generally have a really really really hard time around people with depression. We all have periods of our life when we're depressed but I'm talking actual clinical depression. It's one of the few groups of people where I just cannot connect. Maybe it is just because of my crazy hyperactive ADHD optimism in life.

I still think the most apt comparison in my mind is that Kaladin is a directionless Raoden.

Raoden, to me, was a failure of a character because he didn't really have an arc. He was just perfect from the get-go. I think even Brandon has mentioned that he made Raoden a little too much of a unflawed character. Kaladin feels like a Raoden with zero direction and I think that's the only way to make that character more boring.

I'm very curious to see what makes me finally come around on Kaladin because I'm sure I will. I've seen far too many people to profess Kaladin as their favorite fictional character of all time. At this point, to me, he's one of the most boring protags in the entire Cosmere.

Kaladin is not perfect. He has real flaws, and several of the things that happen/happened to him are caused by these flaws. Comparing him to Raoden... well, perhaps from where you are in the story, that might make a little bit of sense. But I just don't see it.

That said, I'm not a huge Kaladin fan either. From the viewpoint characters introduced in WoK, Adolin and especially Dalinar are the MVPs.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I mean it's a distinction between percentages and pages/time.

I'm 19 hours into the audiobook for Way of Kings. That may only be 40ish% through the story, but that is the length of the entire Fellowship of the Rings audiobook.

So yeah, if you go with percentages, I'm just about to hit the Council of Elrond. (But I'd argue that a helluva lot more happens in the first 40% of even Fellowship of the Ring than the first 40% of Way of Kings).

yeah I was thinking about it being a medium thing too. I'm pretty sure an average person is going to read significantly faster than an audiobook plays, so your 20hrs of WoK might already even be approaching the sanderlanche if you were reading the book version. I definitely wouldn't be listening to 800 page epic fantasy novels on audiobook.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

pik_d posted:

Are there any other people this weird process reminds you of?

Mistborn Book 3

A bit more into the book and Spook walking around hearing Kelsier tell him to kill random people reminded me of Zane and "God" which also jogged a memory of him mentioning a spike at one point. After searching through my epub of book 2 for that... Yep.

quote:

He didn’t like the way that cloaks rubbed against the small point of the spike that stuck out of his back just between the shoulder blades. The head was against his sternum, and couldn’t be seen beneath clothing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Raoden, to me, was a failure of a character because he didn't really have an arc. He was just perfect from the get-go. I think even Brandon has mentioned that he made Raoden a little too much of a unflawed character. Kaladin feels like a Raoden with zero direction and I think that's the only way to make that character more boring.

I totally get not vibing with Kaladin but this feels like a really weird criticism to me. He's incredibly laboriously described at being bad at everything except for fighting and being a medic. He's cripplingly depressed, cannot relate or communicate with other people, can't lead, regularly considers and even attempts to kill himself, and is generally a pathetic lump of meat for the first half of the book at least. Even as you get into the part of the book where he actually does some stuff he's still mostly presented as kind of an idiot and not that great at what he does, just relentlessly stubborn once he sets his mind to something.

Later on once he develops and gets all his superpowers and gets somewhat better at dealing with the depression I can definitely see the argument that he's too perfect, but at this stage? No way. Hell, even in book 2 he's kind of an enormous doofus who constantly fucks things up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Taffer posted:

Later on once he develops and gets all his superpowers and gets somewhat better at dealing with the depression I can definitely see the argument that he's too perfect, but at this stage? No way.
I would strenuously argue against that. He's nowhere near perfect. On his best days, he can hover within spitting distance of functional. He's an excellent leader of men, but his closest advisors and companions all constantly remind him that he cares way too much, past the point of it being a good thing, because his people will die and he can't prevent that, it's in the job description. He can't maintain a romantic relationship. He'd have no friends if Adolin wasn't making constant, heroic efforts to refuse to let him cut everybody off.

He's a great Windrunner and a good doctor, but a giant mess at everything else.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Stormlight Words of Radiance Chapters 59-69 (First half of Part 4)
The epigraphs here are absolutely a return letter to Hoid, with the "old friend" at the start again and referencing Rayse. I no longer think this is Sazed, but some other shard holder that has been around longer, or maybe someone high up in the Seventeenth Shard, or maybe someone who is both. This person seems dumb though, but only because in a literary sense I know they're wrong about Rayse otherwise there wouldn't be a book. Don't they know there's 8 more books to go?? "Rayse is captive" my fuckin' rear end. Good luck with that one.

Hoo boy is Kaladin sure going to somewhere dark here. It's almost comical that Mordiceius is having issues with Kaladin in a hole of depression right when I'm reading about him jumping headfirst back into that hole, over a book later.

Kaladin and Syl's bond seems to be straining, which is causing her to revert to a more innocent version of herself most of the time. Obviously because Kaladin is rejecting honor in favor of the revenge that Moash has convinced him is right. He's going to have to make a decision that doesn't make him feel sick to the stomach, but his mindself is currently not there. Interesting that she says all the Knights were broken. I guess living though Desolations would do that to them.

In one of her lucid moments, Syl mentions that she's not a highspren, so she's concerned with what is right, not what is lawful. If a highspren is a law abiding spren, that sounds exactly like Mooncheek Darkness to me, so I'm now thinking he's a new Radiant hunting down other new Radiants.

The reveal that Elhokar sent Roshone out to Hearthstone certainly didn't help things, and also makes things connected in a wildly coincidental way. I am not sure I like how neat and tidy that seems to be. But that helps convince him to give the Shardplate and Blade to Moash, and agree to go through with the plan. I am quite worried that Kaladin is going to have to fight Moash at some point.

Shallan decides that Stormseat is out in the Shattered Plains, which is not even a city I think I heard of when I decided that Urithiru was there, so maybe Urithiru is in Shadesmar? Or it really is some magical city only available via portals. Maybe it swapped places with Shinovar and that's why Shinovar is so "weird" to this world.

One other minor thing, Adolin asked Shallan to come visit him in a chapter before it was revealed that he checked himself into jail. Was she supposed to visit him in jail? Were the timelines not lined up? That stilld out to me after I read both chapters.

Shallan visits beefcake Talenel, then very shortly after Kaladin thinks about how broad Dalinar's shoulders are. Seems like an interesting parallel that Brandon was maybe making? Talenel also flips out on Shallan when she uses some Stormlight and calls her "One of Ishar's Knights." This, I believe, is because Ishar forced the Radiants to observe laws and organization, I don't think the Lightweavers are Ishar's.

Amaram is happy that Talenel is around, probably since it's a sign of the Desolation. He also wants the Honorblades, but I think Szeth has one since Syl doesn't think he has a spren. I'm curious how many are there to be found. I really want an Amaram POV.

I live for the banter between Kaladin and Adolin and Shallan. Kaladin and Adolin have a decent amount of respect for each other. The banter as they left the prison, and when Shallan had to tell Adolin he was being insulted was quite fun. I really think they'll be a weird power-trio sometime later in the series, when everything is out in the open. Maybe Adolin will get his own spren in time.

Shallan is really only the character other than Syl who really tells Kaladin what he doesn't want to hear, but needs to. And honestly Syl is out of action on account of losing her sentience. And he definitely needs some help confronting his issues, he's too good at just stewing in his own toxic ideas.

Then the Parshendi are spotted at the same time as the carpenter pulls the release line lever. I'm curious if these are the thousand or so that broke away, or just some random Parshendi.

Another scream from Syl, though under different circumstances. Both were life or death, but one was catching a Shardblade and the other was a 100 foot fall. I'm curious if it was forcing extra strength through the bond, forcing the bond when he's not acting honorable, or if there's something more. Maybe Pattern did help Kaladin, and if Relis has a spren too maybe it's something to do with other spren intervening.

Kaladin and Shallan obviously both think they saved the other, I can feel the opportunities for them to discover each other. Though before that they take the time to quip at each other some more, including Kaladin bringing up the boot theft to shut Shallan up. She does cut deep though, exposing Kaladin's belief that he's not responsible for his disposition. It's tough, because so many things have happened to him outside of his control. However I think this is part of the issue driving a wedge between him and Syl and their bond.

And then a Chasmfiend starts chasing them. I know neither of them want to reveal their abilities (if Kaladin can even use them right now), but I'll be so upset if they escape this with using surges. And yes, I did stop reading right as the Chasmfiend chase started.

Progress so far:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I would strenuously argue against that. He's nowhere near perfect. On his best days, he can hover within spitting distance of functional. He's an excellent leader of men, but his closest advisors and companions all constantly remind him that he cares way too much, past the point of it being a good thing, because his people will die and he can't prevent that, it's in the job description. He can't maintain a romantic relationship. He'd have no friends if Adolin wasn't making constant, heroic efforts to refuse to let him cut everybody off.

He's a great Windrunner and a good doctor, but a giant mess at everything else.

I totally agree! I just mean that as time goes on he starts to get his life in order (definitely nowhere near accomplishing it), at the start of the series he's like, comically bad at being a human, all he knows how to do is fight and treat wounds, and is basically incapable of any other normal behavior.

This is not a criticism of his character, it's one of the things that drew me so strongly to the book and Sanderson in general (WoK was my first Sanderson book), I'm just surprised that that's the principal complaint of the book from Mordeceius, besides pacing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

pik_d posted:

And yes, I did stop reading right as the Chasmfiend chase started.

extremely hosed up. whats wrong with you

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

One other minor thing, Adolin asked Shallan to come visit him in a chapter before it was revealed that he checked himself into jail. Was she supposed to visit him in jail? Were the timelines not lined up? That stilld out to me after I read both chapters.

Yeah, he was getting jail visits. Since he was there voluntarily, nobody was going to deny him anything, so he just had his girlfriend visit. Him asking Shallan to visit is a clue that he's going to lock himself in jail, something you can look back on and go "oh hey, neat".

Also, "someone please save us from ourselves, we're trapped and we're making bad puns" (or whatever it is, I can't remember exactly) is, I think, the funniest moment of the book.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 14, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, he was getting jail visits. Since he was there voluntarily, nobody was going to deny him anything, so he just had his girlfriend visit. Him asking Shallan to visit is a clue that he's going to lock himself in jail, something you can look back on and go "oh hey, neat".
Sure I guess! She just conveniently never thought about it!

CapnAndy posted:

Also, "someone please save us from ourselves, we're trapped and we're making bad puns" (or whatever it is, I can't remember exactly) is, I think, the funniest moment of the book.
Your timeline is slightly off, I just read that chapter tonight after typing up my reactions, but before reading your post.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 14, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Taffer posted:

extremely hosed up. whats wrong with you

I value sleep. The last line that I just read tonight was "The Stormwall hit." :unsmigghh:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Bread Liar
Sanderson’s character dialogue and banter is fantastic, I’ve yet to find another author who does such an excellent job of capturing individual personalities as well as he does.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

Your timeline is slightly off, I just read that chapter tonight after typing up my reactions, but before reading your post.
Oh, phew that I didn't spoil it, then!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mistborn Book 3 Chapter 44:

Okay by now I'm like super sure that Vin's earring is a hemalurgy spike that, by pure chance, is being used in a useful place. Presumably it's what lets her pierce copper clouds by stacking with her innate copper powers. I don't know how that thing was used to kill someone (presumably her infant sibling) being as tiny as it was, but that's the only thing that makes sense.

I'd never really considered it before but the "Reen" she's heard since book 1 is really similar to Zane's "God" and Spook's "Kelsier".

Some of those notes at the start/end of chapters also said that the mists are of Preservation, which makes me think that the reason she can't repeat her feat of drawing on the mists like she did at the end of book 1 again is because she's got the hemalurgy (of ruin) spike in her ear. I checked back to the fight with the Lord Ruler her earring got ripped out right before she used the mists then. She could probably repeat it if she ever takes it out again, at the cost of being not being able to pierce copper.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mistborn Book 3 Chapter 44:

:allears:

I love these posts so much.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

:allears:

I love these posts so much.

Yeah, holy poo poo that post is just...

It's such a treat to see first time readers' reactions. And it's nice that people are courteous enough to use spoiler bars for like nearly 20 year old books :3:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I cannot wait for secret project October.

Also I have been thinking about it and am very excited for some of you new readers to be fully caught up. Some of my favorite childhood/teenage memories was being on forums speculating about new wheel of time books. And now we can do it again with Brando Sando. I remember reading Way of Kings when it came out and all the speculating wildly about what was going to happen in future books and being so very wrong about some things and right about others. These new people are pretty sharp, and their insight into what book 5/ the future of the cosmere will contain is going to be marvelous

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mistborn Book 3 Chapter 53:

The whole mists making 16% sick, of which 16% of those stayed sick for 16 days is baffling. Vin joining the Crew at 16. And yet the mists don't harm mistborn or nobles? I cannot fathom what is going on here. From the "notes from a future scholar" stuff at the ends of the chapters it's clear that the mists are from Preservation. Yet the mists were apparently killing people before Ruin got loose? Why would Preservation be destroying stuff???

I'm not sure how Sanderson will pull this together. I don't even have an inkling of a notion of how this makes sense.

It's also kind of hard to trust in the intuition of Vin at this point, since Ruin has revealed it was behind most of her "Reen" hallucinations. I don't really trust her insistence that finding the atium is key to everything is anything other than Ruin prodding her in the way it wants. The Marsh POV makes it clear that Eland is clear of any Ruin influence so far (despite their best efforts), so I can at least trust his intuitions.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One thing you can generally depend on in Sanderson is that he ties things up in a satisfactory way. Especially the first Mistborn Era. The Final Empire is a perfectly fine self-contained book, but also a great introduction to the trilogy. And the whole trilogy has a very satisfying conclusion, while also setting the stage for the future Mistborn books. That specific detail you mentioned will have a cool resolution, don't worry.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

To clarify a part you misread or misinterpreted, 16% get sick, then 1/16 (not 16% again) of those get extra sick for 16 days. It's a minor difference I guess, but it's not the same.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mistborn Book 3 Chapter 53:

The whole mists making 16% sick, of which 16% of those stayed sick for 16 days is baffling. Vin joining the Crew at 16. And yet the mists don't harm mistborn or nobles? I cannot fathom what is going on here. From the "notes from a future scholar" stuff at the ends of the chapters it's clear that the mists are from Preservation. Yet the mists were apparently killing people before Ruin got loose? Why would Preservation be destroying stuff???

Don't worry, this will actually be explained

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

To clarify a part you misread or misinterpreted, 16% get sick, then 1/16 (not 16% again) of those get extra sick for 16 days. It's a minor difference I guess, but it's not the same.
I believe it's 1/16 both times, never 16%, but yeah, super minor. The pattern still exists and is weird, that's the point.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CapnAndy posted:

I believe it's 1/16 both times, never 16%, but yeah, super minor. The pattern still exists and is weird, that's the point.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This is one of the few things I feel like doesn't make much sense for this book either way you slice it since (Mistborn Era 2 spoilers) Atium isn't one of the "main 16 metals" so if it's making misting that react to each metal, it should have been like 1/17th.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah there's some wobbly stuff in the first Mistborn trilogy.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

This is one of the few things I feel like doesn't make much sense for this book either way you slice it since (Mistborn Era 2 spoilers) Atium isn't one of the "main 16 metals" so if it's making misting that react to each metal, it should have been like 1/17th.

All Cosmere spoilers Yeah there are a bunch of things that are clearly wrong or retconned in Mistborn, and this was pretty glaring on a re-read (along with mistakes/issues with Lerasium, steel pushing and some of the hemalurgical skills). It feels poor thought out originally, and then just makes no sense with later context. Especially now that the Atium we see has now been retconned to be an atium alloy lol

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ah, cool. Thanks.

Mordiceius posted:

Nah, Preservation is just signing his work. We know that there's a certain number that each Shard likes -- 10 for Honor and 9 for Odium are the other two obvious ones. 16 seems to be Preservation's.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brandon is on record saying that if he ever adapt it to a movie he is changing that bit.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

Ah, cool. Thanks.

Nah, Preservation is just signing his work. We know that there's a certain number that each Shard likes -- 10 for Honor and 9 for Odium are the other two obvious ones. 16 seems to be Preservation's.

Dawnshard spoilers: I don't think 16 is specific to Preservation; from the mural in Dawnshard we know that Adonalsium shattered into 16 Shards.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Anshu posted:

Dawnshard spoilers: I don't think 16 is specific to Preservation; from the mural in Dawnshard we know that Adonalsium shattered into 16 Shards.

Possibly each of those 16 shards has a number, and Preservation is #16, Honor 10, Odium 9 etc? Autonomy #1 because what other number suits them best?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

Possibly each of those 16 shards has a number, and Preservation is #16, Honor 10, Odium 9 etc? Autonomy #1 because what other number suits them best?
That is exactly what I assume as well.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

That is exactly what I assume as well.

Yeah it was my thought too.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lobsterpillar posted:

Some have a number, some don't per a WoB

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well I finished up Mistborn book 3.

I guess I really did hit a lot of the ending re: Vin's earring. Though some things really eluded me. I did not at all expect Sazed to be the hero of ages. Came completely out of left field for me. I guess that's why the use of the genderless pronouns eh?

I expected the folks who fell sick for 16 days to become mistborn, not atium mistings, once it was revealed that the folks who fell sick for a day become mistings of various types. I figured it was one day per metal so they'd have all the powers. I guess atium just required more time to snap?

Kinda wonder who had taken up the mantels of preservation and ruin in the past. Is this a wheel of time thing where the ages repeat? That could explain the Sazed becoming the hero of ages, if he is the one who writes the prophecy of a time to come and a time past.

I'll probably take a break for another series then move on to Elantris since that's a 2 book + short story series and should go relatively quickly compared to the rest of the cosmere stuff.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

This is such a minor thing compared to the predictions and thoughts you all are posting, but I’m amused that this style of tracker is gaining traction for new readers in the thread.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I guess atium just required more time to snap?
No, they snap in the same amount of time as anyone else. Preservation was throwing the number 16 around as much as possible to get people to pay attention, and marking the atium mistings, as 16s of a 16, as extra special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well I finished up Mistborn book 3.

I guess I really did hit a lot of the ending re: Vin's earring. Though some things really eluded me. I did not at all expect Sazed to be the hero of ages. Came completely out of left field for me. I guess that's why the use of the genderless pronouns eh?

I expected the folks who fell sick for 16 days to become mistborn, not atium mistings, once it was revealed that the folks who fell sick for a day become mistings of various types. I figured it was one day per metal so they'd have all the powers. I guess atium just required more time to snap?

Kinda wonder who had taken up the mantels of preservation and ruin in the past. Is this a wheel of time thing where the ages repeat? That could explain the Sazed becoming the hero of ages, if he is the one who writes the prophecy of a time to come and a time past.

I'll probably take a break for another series then move on to Elantris since that's a 2 book + short story series and should go relatively quickly compared to the rest of the cosmere stuff.

If you go back and look at the epigraphs with Sazed in mind, you'll see his speech patterns. There were a few things where Brandon lined up the same weird tick in the epigraph and the chapter it was in.

You should consider reading "The Eleventh Metal" since it's so short and ties into the trilogy you just read.

I also love that you've adopted the "has read" list, they're a good safeguard for spoilers and a quick way to get the info across.