Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Doctor Bishop posted:

Come to think of it, what has Everdraed been up to other than making Undertale/Deltarune trailers over the last few years?

Fake edit: Oh

https://twitter.com/Everdraed/status/1702160023672307849

...y'know, I'm honestly surprised that clip doesn't get repurposed more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Has Everdraed ever made a game? I got really excited when I heard he was on Kingdoms of the Dump but it was some other goober who goes by Everdredd (give it up dude! You will never be the real one!)

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I might be wrong but I feel like he contributed to Hypnospace Outlaw

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

zetamind2000 posted:

should have hired the fear and hunger dev

orange’s computer burned down recently losing a lot of progress in Termina updates so maybe not

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

goblin week posted:

orange’s computer burned down recently losing a lot of progress in Termina updates so maybe not

fortunately he was able to recreate what he lost pretty quickly

dude really needs more than one person working on the game

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 17, 2023

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Oh god don't mention another game in this thread, i'll be tempted to look it up like I have others and find something else I'll get way too lost in. :ohdear:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Neuronyx posted:

Oh god don't mention another game in this thread, i'll be tempted to look it up like I have others and find something else I'll get way too lost in. :ohdear:

To be very explicit, Fear and Hunger is a very unique game made by a passionate dev, but as far as the actual game, I could not imagine a game more opposite to Undertale/Deltarune.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

play outer wilds

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Capfalcon posted:

To be very explicit, Fear and Hunger is a very unique game made by a passionate dev, but as far as the actual game, I could not imagine a game more opposite to Undertale/Deltarune.

I'm getting that impression as I wishlist it on Steam. Looks very different but engrossing.

beep by grandpa posted:

play outer wilds

nooooooooooo

*wishlisted*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Scarodactyl posted:

Has Everdraed ever made a game? I got really excited when I heard he was on Kingdoms of the Dump but it was some other goober who goes by Everdredd (give it up dude! You will never be the real one!)

did he do Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Neuronyx posted:

I'm getting that impression as I wishlist it on Steam. Looks very different but engrossing.

Think Berserk: The Role-Playing Game and you should have a good idea of what you're getting into.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think F&H1 is a bit too much although it's still real cool.

Second game is GOTY tier though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Neuronyx posted:

nooooooooooo

*wishlisted*

the second game's more accessible than the first so I'd definitely recommend starting there

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

zetamind2000 posted:

the second game's more accessible than the first so I'd definitely recommend starting there

Starting with the second before the first makes my brain scream, I might if the first were trash, or if they weren't connected ( Like Final Fantasy games ).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neuronyx posted:

Starting with the second before the first makes my brain scream, I might if the first were trash, or if they weren't connected ( Like Final Fantasy games ).

the first fear and hunger is a kaizo-hard dungeon crawler where every third enemy can and often will graphically and non-metaphorically rape your characters to death. it reined itself in for the second and was much better for it

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Void Stranger is good if you want actually challenging puzzles and also like La-Mulana-esque mind melting meta puzzles.

it's also very anime and has an absolute banger soundtrack

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

the first fear and hunger is a kaizo-hard dungeon crawler where every third enemy can and often will graphically and non-metaphorically rape your characters to death. it reined itself in for the second and was much better for it

:stare: oh cool.

I still wanna play but uh the second looks distinct enough, i'll start with that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have been enjoying Streets of Rogue myself. And it has a sequel coming out very soon, too!

But, uh, it ain't remotely like Undertale/Deltarune.

More like a more silly Deus Ex.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tree Reformat posted:

Void Stranger is good if you want actually challenging puzzles and also like La-Mulana-esque mind melting meta puzzles.

it's also very anime and has an absolute banger soundtrack

saying it was similar to la mulana has jumped my interest in it by like ten fold

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Void Stranger is a game that revels in repeatedly entirely recontextualizing earlier information in a way that gives you a huge brain blast, major Tunic/La-mulana/later parts of Fez vibes.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 18, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The main thing I remember about Fear and Hunger was all the controversy about a bunch of sexual content that could involve a party member that was an actual child, so it was a real surprise to see how beloved the sequel wound up being. I imagine/pray to God they stopped doing that kind of poo poo

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ash Rose posted:

Void Stranger is a game that revels in repeatedly entirely recontextualizing earlier information in a way that gives you a huge brain blast, major Tunic/La-mulana/later parts of Fez vibes.

thanks for the rec

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Danaru posted:

The main thing I remember about Fear and Hunger was all the controversy about a bunch of sexual content that could involve a party member that was an actual child, so it was a real surprise to see how beloved the sequel wound up being. I imagine/pray to God they stopped doing that kind of poo poo

No, the actual child was literally always 100% exempt from the sexual violence and if you tried (say, for instance, selecting her at the marriage altar), you’d get a game over

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Anyway Termina got popular because adding a dash of Battle Royale is catnip to some people

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like I remember seeing that being a huge controversy on here, including a video that made it look very possible, so its nice to know that was never actually the case. Maybe it was some sicko's mod or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

goblin week posted:

No, the actual child was literally always 100% exempt from the sexual violence and if you tried (say, for instance, selecting her at the marriage altar), you’d get a game over

Not in the early access version they weren't, but I'm extremely happy they changed that for the full release

The rest of the rape stuff I feel they could have just done something else but at least the child is exempt

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

the dev swore off ever having another child party member in the series after seeing 4chan's reaction to it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

zetamind2000 posted:

the dev swore off ever having another child party member in the series after seeing 4chan's reaction to it

had they just never been on the internet before or what

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

goblin week posted:

Anyway Termina got popular because adding a dash of Battle Royale is catnip to some people

also trans icon marina, the game and series has a HUGE lgbt following

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

zetamind2000 posted:

Okay thank loving god

zetamind2000 posted:

also trans icon marina, the game and series has a HUGE lgbt following

Maybe this is worth a second look

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Umm I don't think there's ever a justifiable reason to have child sexual assault in a video game,

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Danaru posted:

Okay thank loving god

wait, where did you see that it was?

Meowywitch posted:

Umm I don't think there's ever a justifiable reason to have child sexual assault in a video game,

it's the first time I've heard of it, from what I've seen the change from demo to full release was instant game over to "the girl says gently caress you", I can't find where you were ever given a scene of going through with it

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 19, 2023

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
no selfies itt

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meowywitch posted:

I think LISA was mentioned in this thread before and I think having it as an element of the plot there was reasonable, considering the theme being so heavily about the chain of harm.

That being said, in Fear and Hunger it's very much just because the guy who made it was really into Berserk and was like "Woah, crazy!" and put it in without much more thought, as far as I can tell. It's something put in for cheap horror, as opposed to something meaningful. I agree with the second being a pretty marked improvement in every way (though it isn't finished and it still has some of the cheap shock value rape).

If you're interested in an overview of the first game, occasional goon and youtuber Worm Girl has a great video that covers most of the important parts (though her sound mixing is pretty poor for those videos, her LISA is way better on that front).

Danaru posted:

Maybe this is worth a second look

Marina rules, and her being explicitly trans is relevant to the plot, but it's not a major theme or anything. Similarly there's some cool empathetic stuff for a character who's wheelchair-bound and one who's suffering from PTSD and a drug addiction.

Ash Rose posted:

Yeah, like there is something kinda magical about the demo's simplicity, even if I do enjoy the whole package. Theres a lot of dangling threads, and thats fine and reasonable because the game was never finished, so it makes sense that it feels incomplete

Incomplete before or after the solstice update? It felt complete enough to me, having only played it after.

The Bee posted:

Its also interesting because it feels like you can track the tone and meaning of the game shifting as you see its development from the demo to the DLC.

By demo do you mean the freeware version? I never played that, so I'm be curious as to what you meant.

Sorry for dredging up old posts but I only check this site a few times a month so sometimes I forget to check threads that don't see a ton of traffic. :shobon:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Fear & Hunger is cool but "too much Berserk inspiration" is a good way to phrase it lol. It is unrelentingly grim and not in a punctuated-by-levity type like LISA is. But it's pretty cool. I like how the Dungeon Of Fear And Hunger feels like an everpresent enemy in itself, one that you can learn the tricks of but never quite defeat.

The sexual violence kinda attempts to be the type of horror that relies on the concept of corruption of humans inside the titular dungeon to its base instincts and warped by pure evil - think that one scene in Berserk - but the sheer saturation makes it kinda miss the landing more often that stick it. Like if every single villain in Berserk raped Guts, it would be pretty silly. I'm glad that Orange dialed it down by like 95% in Termina.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

All I know about Termina is the rear end punching.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

goblin week posted:

I'm glad that Orange dialed it down by like 95% in Termina.

it's pretty funny how many fans think that termina's the result of orange selling out or going woke rather than being the result of moving on and changing (at least from what he's said)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

it's pretty funny how many fans think that termina's the result of orange selling out or going woke rather than being the result of moving on and changing (at least from what he's said)
Yeah, Fear&Hunger 1 certainly has its place as an extremely unique experience, but a part of that experience is that the grimdarkness and edginess are so overwrought that much of it ends up as unintentional dark comedy. Termina seems to actually know what sort of story it's trying to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I'm beginning to think that chapter 3 would've already been done by now had they not opted to do a lot of early implementation of assets all over chapters 3-5 (enemies, puzzle mechanics, hometown/castle town related cutscenes/assets) and just did chapter 3 stuff. This isn't an important distinction for how long production of chapters 3-5 is gonna take, but it important to keep in mind in anticipating how long it will take, since it's given the illusion that chapter 3's taken longer to work on than it actually has, and that the amount of time it'll seemingly take to make chapters 4 and 5 are gonna zip by in comparison (and be quite a bit shorter than how long they'd appear to take in a "only working on one chapter at a time" scenario).