Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm starting winter prep before the beginning of fall, I guess. We own pretty low cars, so I have a tiny collapsing shovel in the trunk to dig myself a path out of deep snow when needed. The Missus is not a fan of digging trenches in the snow, especially while wearing a suit and heels, so now she has some tiny traction boards to jam under the wheels if she gets stuck and I can't get to her in a timely fashion. I don't know what to expect out of these in actual use, but for me, it's mostly a peace of mind thing to have them in the trunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

This is probably the year I break down and get some of those too. Been through enough dicey situations now to not see their appeal.

Also checked my tire pressure, and every one needed some air. Not a PSA, but it never hurts to check.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
They're super handy if you need flotation or just a little extra traction and can get most people out of a lot of situations if they know how to use them. They're infinitely better with two people but still useable with one. If you live somewhere with snow/sand, it's worth having.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I used two wooden planks last time that happened to me... Worked just fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Verman posted:

They're super handy if you need flotation or just a little extra traction and can get most people out of a lot of situations if they know how to use them. They're infinitely better with two people but still useable with one. If you live somewhere with snow/sand, it's worth having.

These look little better than floormats, which have been the choice of northeasterners since floormats were a thing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Motronic posted:

These look little better than floormats, which have been the choice of northeasterners since floormats were a thing.

If you think she's running over and damaging our official Honda rigid floormats that say "Civic", you're crazy. How else will people know it's a Civic when they get in?

Seriously though, they're more than twice the price of those boards, so I'd rather these get driven over instead

nitsuga posted:

This is probably the year I break down and get some of those too. Been through enough dicey situations now to not see their appeal.

Also checked my tire pressure, and every one needed some air. Not a PSA, but it never hurts to check.

Also check your spares, mine was almost flat

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Took my gearbox apart

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I replaced the cooling system on my E36

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Unearthed it. Basically a garage tidy and took all the junk off of it. The battery is dead, of course. So that's about where it ends this weekend. It's on a trickle charger for now, but I think the battery is actually toast, 9 months untouched.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put a K&N air filter in the MX-5. Old paper one was grungy, maybe I’ll get more sound with the K&N

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Replaced some squeaky belts on the 'yata today, the whole process was annoying as hell but it got knocked out in an afternoon. The MVP of my toolbox continues to be a very persuasive 2.5 ' hollow metal fencepost, alternator would not budge otherwise.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
After a month of no interest whatsoever someone finally called about my old Sonata. Of course it had a flat battery when I went to pull it out of the garage so I had to spend half my morning sorting that out (and my wallet is now $285 lighter)

Hopefully they buy the drat thing.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Truck doin’ truck stuff.

But what was in the box?

New OEM hardtop for the NC!

Ordered from the local Mazda dealer, who had to get it from California. Took about a week but it was actually cheaper than the surplus sites online, free shipping and all. And it was a super easy fitment with no messing about. OEM quality is definitely worth it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Truck doin’ truck stuff.

I love that this things does more truck work than any other combined random sampling of 1000 pickups, including super doodies and diesels.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Truck doin’ truck stuff.

Qyestion:How can you tell if someone with a weird truck used it for work?

Don't worry... They'll post about it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Truck doin’ truck stuff.

With the writing on the box it all fits together. That little truck looks so much more useful than a side by side for yardwork.

Car looks good with the hardtop, how much better is the wind and road noise?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

SpeedFreek posted:

Car looks good with the hardtop, how much better is the wind and road noise?

I honestly don’t know yet. I put it on at 7 last night then immediately put it under a cover for the next couple of weeks while I’m traveling.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/a/KTS1EVU

Ran my best time to date. 11.087 @126.7 MPH. Starting to get the launch with the clutch down.

Won first round of Rumble @ LSFest East, broke out running too fast round 2.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 13, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

EvilBeard posted:

https://imgur.com/a/KTS1EVU

Ran my best time to date. 11.087 @123.7 MPH. Starting to get the launch with the clutch down.

Won first round of Rumble @ LSFest East, broke out running too fast round 2.

Love the C10 doing a smoky showy burnout, then you just tree the absolute gently caress out of him.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hitch install on the Vibe so I can drag my bike to the track without borrowing a truck. Still need to find a lightweight trailer but now I'll be ready to snatch one up since they sell quick.

6 bolts and no disassembly, how hard could it be?

Just finished up after 5 hours. The 6 threaded inserts in the frame were more rust than threads thanks to 18 years of PA winters. Not a problem, I came prepared and got the right size tap figuring I'd need to at least chase the threads.

That was the case for one of six, got it cleaned up in 5 minutes. The other five have terrible access due to the exhaust in the way, so I couldn't use a normal tap handle nor the 3/8 socket adapter for my tap. Tried HD/lowe's but they didn't have a square drive socket in the right size. I would just drop the back half of the exhaust, but again, rust- no way it would come apart/go back together without a fight. I was tempted to loosen one or two exhaust hangers but the rear joint was looking angry and I didn't want to tempt fate.

So I rolled with my stubbornness and retapped the other 5 half a turn at a time with a vice grip, that's all I had room to use.

Anyway the bastard is installed. I need to retire somewhere where rust isn't a thing. Still need to install the wiring kit and trans cooler.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Looks nice. I’m thinking of doing the same to my wife’s Civic for a two-bicycle rack.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
six years in the making with version three i can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's probably a loving high speed train.
I bought a vehicle with no computers. Then decided to add them.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

opengl posted:

Hitch install on the Vibe so I can drag my bike to the track without borrowing a truck. Still need to find a lightweight trailer but now I'll be ready to snatch one up since they sell quick.

Just finished up after 5 hours. The 6 threaded inserts in the frame were more rust than threads thanks to 18 years of PA winters. Not a problem, I came prepared and got the right size tap figuring I'd need to at least chase the threads.

That was the case for one of six, got it cleaned up in 5 minutes. The other five have terrible access due to the exhaust in the way, so I couldn't use a normal tap handle nor the 3/8 socket adapter for my tap. Tried HD/lowe's but they didn't have a square drive socket in the right size. I would just drop the back half of the exhaust, but again, rust- no way it would come apart/go back together without a fight. I was tempted to loosen one or two exhaust hangers but the rear joint was looking angry and I didn't want to tempt fate.

So I rolled with my stubbornness and retapped the other 5 half a turn at a time with a vice grip, that's all I had room to use.

Anyway the bastard is installed. I need to retire somewhere where rust isn't a thing. Still need to install the wiring kit and trans cooler.

I've got a 4x6 trailer i haven't used in literally forever, but i'm a minimum of 6 hours from PA, probably not worth it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Lowered it and got it a Macan GTS alignment!

Really not sure how much I'm loving these wheels... Even when they're clean they're a little underwhelming and definitely don't look like the freakin' 20" rimmmmmz that they are.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

opengl posted:

Now just wait for the rear heat shield to rust through and fall on the exhaust. Most annoying noise ever. Only rust we've had on the Matrix, the rest of the underside looks brand new.

Might bug the SO to get a hitch though. At least that way I can hitch a ride with my bike to a trailhead easily; it's a solid 5 mile ride to the trail I want to ride most (what's left of it after a wildfire went through anyway... supposedly over half is still in good shape). I mean I guess I could continue to just chuck it in the back, but that's kind of a pain.

cursedshitbox posted:

six years in the making with version three i can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's probably a loving high speed train.
I bought a vehicle with no computers. Then decided to add them.

DONKEY IS BACK?!?

Should change the startup text to "Good luck"..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 13, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

randomidiot posted:

Now just wait for the rear heat shield to rust through and fall on the exhaust. Most annoying noise ever. Only rust we've had on the Matrix, the rest of the underside looks brand new.

While I was wrestling around the muffler I noticed that shield was held on with one of four nuts, the rest had all rusted through, and the last was soon to follow. I strategically drilled it and added some zip ties like I had to the mid heat shield a few years ago.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Full Collapse posted:

Looks nice. I’m thinking of doing the same to my wife’s Civic for a two-bicycle rack.
I've installed hitches on a WRX and a CX-30 for the same reason and it was absolutely worth it in both cases. Wish I would've done it on the WRX before using a trunk-mounted rack for a summer and scuffing the deck lid.

Edit: The Thule rack with little tiny wheels for transport/storage is heavy as poo poo but really nice once it's on the hitch.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Oh, thanks for reminding me to zip tie my bumper better. It's vibrating on the exhaust tip again and making a really annoying noise

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

randomidiot posted:

Should change the startup text to "Good luck"..

Insert frame to continue
have you thought about doing a clutch today?
You will die of dysentery
today is a good day for a walk

gently caress, so changing this to a random intro.

yeah, it's still around. In a few weeks i'm going to break the zf down and fix whatever I broke on it last year.
There's now machine tools here that can spin the entire damned transmission case.
Frame... next spring probably. I've spotted a few miles away an appropriate frame being used as a large outdoor dumpster at the moment... it's dreamy.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Load ChatGPT onto Onboard computer to come up with random startup texts to laugh at.

You can start using 2U servers as frame reinforcements to feed the random startup texts.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

today is a good day for a walk

Love this one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress, so changing this to a random intro.

yeah, it's still around. In a few weeks i'm going to break the zf down and fix whatever I broke on it last year.
There's now machine tools here that can spin the entire damned transmission case.
Frame... next spring probably. I've spotted a few miles away an appropriate frame being used as a large outdoor dumpster at the moment... it's dreamy.

Need to mod the 550's DIC to show "Don't forget a spare turbo" at startup instead of the Ford logo.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl posted:

Mission successful, scored a little 4x6 utility trailer, 250lbs empty, perfect for my needs. Had to go 2 hours each way to pick it up but it was several hundred cheaper than local options, in better condition, and actually had a title (a rarity around here).

Got a track day on Monday to give it a proper test run.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
New rotor and cap put in. Then I found the turbo bypass valve I put in a month ago is broke again. Worthless aftermarket crap.

Old rotor didn't look too bad and based on what I had read removal is destructive, but I got it off rather easily.

And what it looks like under the cover:

New stereo that looks more at home in this car, still a tad too modern looking:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Got the 323 GTX running, for the first time in at least 6 years. Dumping every tub and box of parts into a pile and assembling the car that way works, but is so slow. Luckily the junkyard engine seems to be great, and the gearbox I bought seems to work

Unfortunately it has $1000 in back fees from before my ownership and I think I'll have to have it registered to tow it on a dolly with the rear driveshaft disconnected, only way my 94 Montero could take it to rallycross events. It'll be in stock 4WD class, so it would need to be street legal and stock in the emissions and level of assembled sense.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

Got the 323 GTX running, for the first time in at least 6 years. Dumping every tub and box of parts into a pile and assembling the car that way works, but is so slow. Luckily the junkyard engine seems to be great, and the gearbox I bought seems to work

Unfortunately it has $1000 in back fees from before my ownership and I think I'll have to have it registered to tow it on a dolly with the rear driveshaft disconnected, only way my 94 Montero could take it to rallycross events. It'll be in stock 4WD class, so it would need to be street legal and stock in the emissions and level of assembled sense.
That's awesome! Uhhhh if you want a crew or chase truck or whatever I can bring my Jeep up :D

The fees suck, but I guess it could be a lot worse. I feel like I recall a lot of shenanigans around that ... wasn't it like someone's project or something before you bought it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Swapped the turbo bypass valve again, previous part lasted a month. Proparts Sweden brand, i.e. aftermarket garbage. Got an original Saab valve for a lot more money but hopefully it will last 30 years like the original did.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe someone knows what's going on, i'm in a fight with the rear brakes on my 2002 sequoia and I can't figure it out.
The back brakes are dragging and overheating, fronts are doing just fine.
Things I have done so far:
- replace them 2500 miles ago
- disassemble the brakes and regrease everything, it's all nice and smooth. Calipers, pistons, pads, all move free.
- replaced all the rear brake hoses, autopsied the old ones and they were perfect -- not the problem.
- it's not the parking brake dragging, the parking brake hardware is physically missing on one side anyway (different issue, not related).
- Compressed the pistons with the bleeders opened and then sucked a pint of fluid through each rear circuit, so I don't think there's water boiling in the calipers.

After all the above I still have the problem, but it's better. Now I can drag the brakes to get them good and hot, go for a drive a few miles down the road at 50mph and when I stop the fronts are stone cold, the backs warm; not boiling anymore, but I would expect them to be the same temp as the fronts after a few miles of cooling.

Someone told me it's the brake booster? how????
What I don't know is how the brake circuits on this car are plumbed: does each segment of the master cylinder drive just fronts and just backs? Is it a diagonal system? Each rear brake has its own circuit from the ABS pump (which has been disconnected for a while because unrelated reasons...). Anyway, this is diving me insane, maybe someone smarter than me has some ideas.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sure you know it's not the brake booster - all it does is make it easier to push the single piston into the master. From looking at diagrams, I'm thinking it's a front/rear split instead of diagonal, and there's no proportioning valve/load adjusting valve when equipped with ABS. When ordered without ABS (which I think you could only do on the Tundra anyway), there's a load sensing proportioning valve and some junction blocks.

It almost sounds like there might be air in the front brakes? The fronts are supposed to do most of the braking, and should be warm after a stop. And it's a bitch to get all the air out without the ABS pump working unless you have a pressure bleeder. If you threshold brake to the point that they start to lock up, what locks first? Front or rear?

I'd be looking at the front brakes (air in them? bleeders oriented correctly?) or maaaaaaayyyybe master cylinder, but that's just me. I haven't seen a master fail in a way that would cause it to keep pressure in a line, I have seen flexible lines coming off a master fail that way though. But I'm fairly sure you have hard lines from the master to the soft lines at each wheel.

Also it looks like Toyota's recommended bleeding sequence is RF, LF, RR, LR, which goes contrary to what I'm used to.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

randomidiot posted:

I'm sure you know it's not the brake booster - all it does is make it easier to push the single piston into the master. From looking at diagrams, I'm thinking it's a front/rear split instead of diagonal, and there's no proportioning valve/load adjusting valve when equipped with ABS. When ordered without ABS (which I think you could only do on the Tundra anyway), there's a load sensing proportioning valve and some junction blocks.

It almost sounds like there might be air in the front brakes? The fronts are supposed to do most of the braking, and should be warm after a stop. And it's a bitch to get all the air out without the ABS pump working unless you have a pressure bleeder. If you threshold brake to the point that they start to lock up, what locks first? Front or rear?

I'd be looking at the front brakes (air in them? bleeders oriented correctly?) or maaaaaaayyyybe master cylinder, but that's just me. I haven't seen a master fail in a way that would cause it to keep pressure in a line, I have seen flexible lines coming off a master fail that way though. But I'm fairly sure you have hard lines from the master to the soft lines at each wheel.

Also it looks like Toyota's recommended bleeding sequence is RF, LF, RR, LR, which goes contrary to what I'm used to.

sweet, thanks for the suggestions!! I guess the unusual bleeding sequence sorta confirms the circuits are front/rear not diagonal.
The front brakes definitely do work, but are the rears grabbing first and doing most of the braking I don't know, that's a good thought and i'll have to ride up the road to the dirt section and go give it a try. The rear pads are worn more than i'd expect for the mileage, so it's possible whatever proportioning magic is inside the ABS pump is to blame.

I didn't know you could order a first gen tundra without ABS, i wonder if i could use that setup to eliminate the ABS poo poo from the sequoia.
The traction control threw a shitfit one day and locked up the front left wheel going 70mph on the interstate, so.... yea. i've maintained that stupid system for years but if that's its failure mode for a bad sensor input, i'm not interested.s