Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i accidentally telefragged a baron when i played that one so its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Seconding unholy cathedral, just a tedious mess of teleporters

I was never big on halls of the damned or house of pain either

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i love halls of the damned. but im a e2 stan for life. house of pain is fine.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hell im gonna stream some doom tonight. maybe some e1 levels. jump in twitch dot tv slash in_training.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'll take Doom 1 levels over the entire middle section of Doom 2 though

Fuckin downtown

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training screaming his lungs out at this tyson level at 11pm ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't tilt however, and eventually beastmoded the map.

i played through Glaive today and had a total blast, and finally checking out Sucker Punch 1. I love 2 but never played the original, i dont think its as good as 2 but it has funnier gimmick maps.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

started playing going down and I've never played levels with this kind of manic madcap energy. I'm like physically exhausted after every level and I'm only on map05. it is absolutely relentless and I'm totally floored the creativity on display for what seems like it would.be an extremely limiting gimmick/constraint with the elevator as the start & exit of every level.

I can see why this is a classic and I can also see why I gave up on it pretty much instantly years ago when it was the first custom wad I ever tried. It seemed completely impossible lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ive onyl played like 3 maps of the og q2 before deciding it was boring. Played the remaster a bunch tonight and... yep. Still not very good. Im like 4 maps away from finishing it and then im gonna try the machinegames expac which appsrently is actually good.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

oh, i didnt even think to install the remaster for the expansion pack because i also find q2 boring lol

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
going down is so friggin good. be sure to hit the secret levels too.

turn off signatures

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
2 maps into Claustrophobia 1024, a doom 2 megawad with tiny levels. its fun. they can throw in whatever bs they want to because by nature there can't be much to strategize/memorize

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dieting Hippo posted:

going down is so friggin good. be sure to hit the secret levels too.

that was the best map07 ive ever played lol. the skellies pouring out of the elevator bay and just 30 of em wailing on a spider mastermind while trying to slip between imps and the errant rocket...blissful

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
watching decino play through myhouse.wad which i didnt know anything about beforehand. it's pretty neat!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

oh, i didnt even think to install the remaster for the expansion pack because i also find q2 boring lol

huge news: q2 is still boring. the machinegames expansion is good enough to warrant a playthrough. bye

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feel like machinegames is playing some elaborate joke by being a workhorse for making really good classic game maps but in the day time making things like Wolfenstein The New Colossus

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Feel like machinegames is playing some elaborate joke by being a workhorse for making really good classic game maps but in the day time making things like Wolfenstein The New Colossus

are you telling me you didnt plat wolfenstein young blood where you star as Bj Blazcowicz's wisecracking daughters and nazis have numbers fly out of their heads when you shoot them and you cna find procgen rifles with +2% dmg against Epic Badass Überstormers

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ArfJason posted:

are you telling me you didnt plat wolfenstein young blood where you star as Bj Blazcowicz's wisecracking daughters and nazis have numbers fly out of their heads when you shoot them and you cna find procgen rifles with +2% dmg against Epic Badass Überstormers

No but i did play the VR game they made and it was bad even for a half assed VR game

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

huge news: q2 is still boring. the machinegames expansion is good enough to warrant a playthrough. bye

yup,. quake2 64 is pretty awful too. but i beat it #grindset

----------------

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Squeezy Farm posted:

yup,. quake2 64 is pretty awful too. but i beat it #grindset

i played till i finished the first "unit" and thought yeah this certainly feels like its from an n64 game. i might finish it cause the stages are like 2 minutes long each. did you touch any of the original expansions? those look like total dogshit

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Regardless of quality it’s cool that they put in all that extra Content

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

i played till i finished the first "unit" and thought yeah this certainly feels like its from an n64 game. i might finish it cause the stages are like 2 minutes long each. did you touch any of the original expansions? those look like total dogshit

yeah 64 is like 2 hours to beat. and nah i completed quake 2 liek 10 yuears ago and that was enough for me.

----------------

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played Q2 64 as a kid for god knows what reason and between that and Turok I was just convinced I hated shooters until Perfect Dark came out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the level in going down that takes place entirely behind a secret and is this mind bogglingly little complex puzzle box of fake walls and secret switches was unbelievably creative. how does mouldy do it.

the only weak point was the final room, once you get past the first 4 seconds of cacocloud the other enemies pour in so slowly and randomly that theyre totally non threatening, and the spider mastermind is just in a lame spot. at the halfway point and absolutely loving this poo poo.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wynF5Von8yM

----------------

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lmfao

----------------

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lmao

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

rofl like it's 1998

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm playing through Quake 1 and it's pretty good. I've never beaten the single player before

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

picked up Going Down due to this thread and it's insane. the second trip to the roof was absolutely absurd, constantly teleporting desperately to avoid a million cacodemons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

picked up Going Down due to this thread and it's insane. the second trip to the roof was absolutely absurd, constantly teleporting desperately to avoid a million cacodemons

I'm up through the same map. glad you're enjoying. I think the only level I haven't liked so far in the entire bunch is the crawlspace level, which may have been map03?

also lots of restraint on display to not include a bfg until MAP32 (unless I missed a secret one earlier)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i disliked the crawlspace but the timewarp one was incredibly good

think that secret level bfg is the first one; i'm on map18 and that's the first non-secret bfg i've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm playing through Quake 1 and it's pretty good. I've never beaten the single player before

the last few chapters where snandy petersen and american mcgfee got to dipsplay their unleashed powers of horrid poo poo in full 3d will show you what