Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone of you guys had a chance to look at Kenjis "The wok"?

I am upgrading from a cheap and relatively weak aldi camping burner I use as a balcony wokstation to a proper thai burner (Kb5 super pan).

So far I taught myself how to wok by watching school of wok recipe videos and just doing my thing. This has worked fine and I made pretty decent dishes, but with my new burner incoming I want to learn proper techniques and build some general wok knowledge.

Is Kenjis book good for that? If not, which book would you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hopper posted:

Has anyone of you guys had a chance to look at Kenjis "The wok"?

I am upgrading from a cheap and relatively weak aldi camping burner I use as a balcony wokstation to a proper thai burner (Kb5 super pan).

So far I taught myself how to wok by watching school of wok recipe videos and just doing my thing. This has worked fine and I made pretty decent dishes, but with my new burner incoming I want to learn proper techniques and build some general wok knowledge.

Is Kenjis book good for that? If not, which book would you recommend?

I didn't enjoy kenjis book much, but don't have an alternative to offer. I got over some of my hiccups learning wok cooking just hanging out with my friend's mom.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is she still available for wok instruction? I'm in the Pacific NW.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I thumbed through it a while back. I don’t think I made any of the recipes, I was mostly just picking through it for techniques, tips, and inspiration.

There was a lot of good info in it, but my impression was that it was a little unstructured and rambly. Like you’d have a recipe, then an aside about a technique or ingredient, then another recipe.

Definitely a good pick up from the library. If you want to buy it you can always just start by watching a couple of his wok videos on his YouTube channel for a good start, then evaluate if you want his book or not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Checked out my local Super 88, best option for inside/kitchen range ended up being this.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahei-Freiz-Frying-compatible-GR-9749/dp/B000XUK9US

It’s kinda small, but I’m not averse to working in batches. Decent pick?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It sounds like it's some kind of nonstick pan (well it says it has a silicone resin coating, which I haven't heard of before). IMO some kind of carbon steel would be the best and would last the longest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ugh, okay. I tried to translate the text on it which suggested it was made of iron, but I didn’t catch the silicone coating thing. I’ll return it tomorrow and just get one online instead.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eeyo posted:

It sounds like it's some kind of nonstick pan (well it says it has a silicone resin coating, which I haven't heard of before). IMO some kind of carbon steel would be the best and would last the longest.

I hadn’t either, so I went down the rabbit hole trying to figure it out. It looks like it’s an organic polymer resin that’s silicone based. It’s a non-stick coating on aluminium, so while it’s supposed to be okay, it’s still not going to be super great for high heat though it isn’t strictly limited to around 400F like your silicone spatulas.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Re: woks, is the selection on Amazon any decent or should I bite the bullet and pay $25 for shipping on a $35 wok? :suicide:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pollyanna posted:

Re: woks, is the selection on Amazon any decent or should I bite the bullet and pay $25 for shipping on a $35 wok? :suicide:

full disclosure: I'm only a casual, self-taught not very good cooker of some chinese recipes

but I did get a couple of sturdy, very durable medium-sized woks from a local asian store, which supplies businesses as well as the home cook

https://www.asiamarket.ie/table-kitchenware/kitchen-utensils/woks.html?product_list_order=name

Would you have anything similar reasonably close to hand? It's just nice to get to pick them up to check the weight/feel before you buy :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The local Super 88 only has “hard anodized” nonstick-looking woks alongside that black steel and silicone one I shared. There are a couple round bottom ones with metal handles that might not be nonstick, but they’re like $45 for 20” which is more than I need (I cook for one). Maybe there’s a better market nearby, I’ll do some research.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh I didn't realise Super 88 was an Asian supplies store, what a pain that they only sell woks with weird coatings.
Mine are, I think steel, with wooden handles, and they both came coated with a heavy, industrial-type oil that had to be very very thoroughly cleaned off before use.

Fun fact: the day I bought the big one, I got a bit of a roof dropped on me on my way home, got taken to hospital in an ambulance, where I was wheeled around in a wheelchair. The whole time I was just clinging to my giant new wok :)
(Roof mostly bounced off me, I was fine)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Went to a different market that did have those woks, so now we’re good! Yayyyy

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brilliant!
Out of curiosity, I just measured mine, and the one I think of as "big" is only 15 inches across, and relatively shallow. The little one is 10inches and is a lovely deep round bowl shape.
A 20 inch wok sounds monstrously big to use at home, so I can see why you weren't keen.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

I thumbed through it a while back. I don’t think I made any of the recipes, I was mostly just picking through it for techniques, tips, and inspiration.

There was a lot of good info in it, but my impression was that it was a little unstructured and rambly. Like you’d have a recipe, then an aside about a technique or ingredient, then another recipe.

Definitely a good pick up from the library. If you want to buy it you can always just start by watching a couple of his wok videos on his YouTube channel for a good start, then evaluate if you want his book or not.

Thank you, I was asked for gift ideas for myself, so I'll put it on the list, I tend to jump back and forth for what I need in books like this anyway, so rambly is fine. And I like his style anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

First attempt at seasoning this new wok. I followed the CCD video but used rendered larou fat, so it was already melted and had to get swirled around/spread with a paper towel in places. Then again with a little bit of peanut oil since I ran out of lard. This is after about 6~7 minutes of heating:

It’s a bit patchy in places, but on the right track. Hopefully this improves over time???

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

its 2023. things get worse over time now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

fart simpson posted:

its 2023. things get worse over time now.

https://foodsided.com/2023/09/19/little-goat-ranch-chili-crunch-hidden-valley-ranch/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Congratulations to chilli crisp on making it out of the ethnic aisle! :toot: :woop: :patriot:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I mean, it’s blasphemous, and bottled ranch is disgusting, but the ranch powder is mostly msg, buttermilk powder and herbs.

I’m not sold on puffed quinoa and masa chips as the crunch, with only gochugaru for the chili flavor and heat, but I’ll definitely try my homemade chili crisp with a little ranch powder just to see.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've been mixing chili crisp with sour cream for years. Primary leftover pizza dipping sauce.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I posted before about mixing lgm with a spoonful of mayo and a little chinkiang vinegar into a tin of drained tuna.
It sounds nasty but it's really tasty :shobon:

edit: you know what? I find it more than a little irritating that people are reinventing various types of chinese created chili crisps instead of just supporting the originals.
Yes, I prefer to buy giant jars of LGM for 8 euro instead of your dinky little "irish-made" jar of knockoff LGM for 4 euro for a yoghurt-pot sized amount. My very irish, terrible cook mother buys two jars at a time of the huge, 8-inch tall jars. Woman lives on LGM.
I told my aunt about it and she can't keep a jar in the house because my cousin eats it from the jar with a spoon every time he passes the fridge.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 20, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Or supermarket soy sauce at 4x the price of Pearl River Bridge.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've been mixing chili crisp with sour cream for years.

That was my original idea, plz don't steal

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The one that really drives me nuts is oyster sauce:

Hmm, shall I spend 3.95 on 600ml of an oyster sauce that is 30% oysters
edit: brand is Maekrua https://www.asiamarket.ie/maekrua-oyster-sauce-600ml.html

or "Blue Dragon Oyster Sauce", a commonly found supermarket brand, that about 2 quid for a tiny bottle:

quote:

Water, Sugar, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein Powder, Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Dark Soy Sauce [Water, Salt, Sugar, Barley Malt Extract, Defatted Soya Bean Flakes, Colour (Plain Caramel), Yeast Extract, Spirit Vinegar, Wheat], Colour (Plain Caramel), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid), Oyster Meat Powder (0.3%) (Mollusc) ...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pollyanna posted:

First attempt at seasoning this new wok. I followed the CCD video but used rendered larou fat, so it was already melted and had to get swirled around/spread with a paper towel in places. Then again with a little bit of peanut oil since I ran out of lard. This is after about 6~7 minutes of heating:

It’s a bit patchy in places, but on the right track. Hopefully this improves over time???

I dont want to be a dick, and I am certainly no expert, but that surface does not look like bare metal to me, it looks like a non-stick coating. Like, the base metal of the wok is a pale silver, going by the rim, but the inner side is black.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Not Chinese, but this is my favorite of recent times locally. Even freakin' southern-state WalMart carries Mae Ploy nowadays:

Or you can buy a 4-ounce thimble of incredibly bland, zero-heat American-mass-market Thai Kitchen:

Sitting right next to each other on the shelves, one more than 4x the unit price of the other.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

marshalljim posted:

Not Chinese, but this is my favorite of recent times locally. Even freakin' southern-state WalMart carries Mae Ploy nowadays:

I have the Mae Ploy tom yum every day for lunch so I get the even bigger tubs. It is excellent. I do have to go to the Asian supermarket for it though, as I do with pretty much anything that isn't a few brands of instant noodles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pookah posted:

I dont want to be a dick, and I am certainly no expert, but that surface does not look like bare metal to me, it looks like a non-stick coating. Like, the base metal of the wok is a pale silver, going by the rim, but the inner side is black.

If the scrambled eggs I’ve made in it are anything to go by, it is very much not nonstick by default :gonk:

I’ll take a better pic when I get home. Maybe there’s a test I can do to prove it as well?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pollyanna posted:

If the scrambled eggs I’ve made in it are anything to go by, it is very much not nonstick by default :gonk:

I’ll take a better pic when I get home. Maybe there’s a test I can do to prove it as well?

send it out to the lab

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think some woks have an antirust coating you need to remove before seasoning too although you pretty much just need to get the whole thing hot which is something you would do during seasoning anyway

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah I scrubbed it down real good before the first seasoning. Also that dark seasoning patina really doesn’t happen on any nonstick I’ve ever used, so it’s unlikely to be nonstick.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

I think some woks have an antirust coating you need to remove before seasoning too although you pretty much just need to get the whole thing hot which is something you would do during seasoning anyway

i'll assume this means you're a fascist

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

It took about 2 years before I could fry an egg or cook fried rice in my wok (8 dollars from ikea in chengdu) without it sticking but now it’s good and was the biggest thing I packed when I absconded from China cuz I’m never bothering to season another wok.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i'll assume this means you're a fascist
I'm made entirely out of Polytetrafascistethylene 

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

marshalljim posted:

My Thai friend who was a really terrific cook, used Mae Ploy. She said it's way too much a pain in the rear end to make your own Thai curry sauce. Also, it seems to last forever in the fridge.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I used to use Mae Ploy all the time but it doesn't seem to be available around my way any more, idk why. Big fan of the green paste.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Could I get some guidance on the super basics for authentic Chinese stir fry:
What are the measurements for meat and marinade
What are the measurements for seasoning?
What are the measurements for sauce, if any?

I know it’s soy sauce, white pepper, msg, alcohol, vinegar. What else and what amounts?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It depends on what you're making. Stir fry is a cooking technique, not a dish. It's like asking for what makes an authentic German baked. Baked what? What are you trying to cook?

E: Here's the most generic technique stuff I can think of. There won't be any measurements because it depends on what you're making and how much.

Meat: meat is generally sliced thin, against the grain, and gets a marinade. Chicken, pork, beef, anything along those lines you can treat more or less the same way. Don't do this to fish. Slice thin, add cornstarch, a bit of salt, light soy sauce, Shaoxing. Mix well. Add cooking oil, mix again. Some marinades are more involved but this will suffice for anything. It doesn't need to sit more than 20 minutes or so, though longer doesn't hurt. You don't want this to be swimming and wet, the meat should absorb everything and the oil is just a coating.

Vegetables: Aromatics (garlic, ginger, green onion, sometimes peppers are in this category) sliced thin or minced depending on how strong you want them to be. The size and shape of other vegetables depend on what texture you want and how well the vegetable in question holds its crunch. Just try to keep the pieces as even as you can so they cook at the same rate.

Sauces I can't give you anything on. it's entirely dependent on what you're making.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7282851003635043630