Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Apple should have a camera you can plugin to the appletv for facetime, or just allow you to use any usb one if that onboard USB port can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

priznat posted:

Apple should have a camera you can plugin to the appletv for facetime, or just allow you to use any usb one if that onboard USB port can do it.

The USB port has data. They could have supported any standard USB camera but chose not to do so.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FlapYoJacks posted:

The USB port has data. They could have supported any standard USB camera but chose not to do so.

I guess it opens it up to nefarious stuff but it would be nice. But then if they can just get people to use their phone why bother!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

They also removed the usb port on the latest models so it would be confusing to customers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

priznat posted:

They made one OP. It’s $999.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The update to 17 seems to keep forgetting the IR thing to change the volume on my receiver for some reason.

Also there’s something up with my hdmi cable it seems as YouTube keeps blanking all the time. Gotta be hdcp related as Plex is fine. Easily fixed but a pain of messing with cables.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is probably an Apple TV camera peripheral in design. MSRP: $499.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You all have phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I tried the Facetime thing and it looks cool. I'll definitely forget it exists the one time a year I use FaceTime.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You all have phones.

And iPads

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It adds a Center Stage thing even for old phones like the 11 Pro. I definitely see us using it for family-to-family FaceTimes, beats passing around an iPad Pro.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I tried the Facetime thing and it looks cool. I'll definitely forget it exists the one time a year I use FaceTime.

I used to hate video chat. Covid, 3 years of work from home, doing a short stint as a trainer in a remote role, and turning into a recluse has somewhat changed that (plus we moved years ago so we have a bunch of friends elsewhere in the country).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I also tried the FaceTime thing last night and it’s super cool. The way the camera sort of automatically pans and zooms in on you wherever you are in the shot. Seemed to work pretty seamlessly but I didn’t actually place a call, just did the preview.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I also tried the FaceTime thing last night and it’s super cool. The way the camera sort of automatically pans and zooms in on you wherever you are in the shot. Seemed to work pretty seamlessly but I didn’t actually place a call, just did the preview.

Yeah this is what I did. That feature has been on at least some iPads for a little bit now, and works well.

Does the AppleTV use the phone mic or the remote mic or what? Maybe both depending on what it picks up better? I'll have to try that out.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Seemed to use the phone to me, although it improved rapidly through the call. Could have been my imagination, or maybe it's learning the room acoustics and doing some beam-forming-like signal processing to cut down on echo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought I’d try the FaceTime test and… I guess it’s not on the 4K Gen 1. Boo, never mind. E: yep confirmed G2+

Still having issues with YouTube fritzing out on me. I’m becoming convinced it’s an app issue and not hardware or cabling as I’ve changed the cable and no other app I have that does streaming video (Plex, HBO, Tubi etc) has any issues but YouTube will flick to black every couple of seconds now. Aggravating app, as I know it’s so heavily A/Bd most people probably ain’t going to have the same version I do.

E2: and looks like disabling Match Framerate fixes it. Ah the age old resolution of having to disable useful features because Google can’t code for poo poo.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 20, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah same here, also found out on my TimPhone that upgrading to iOS 17 nerfs the Remote app.

Whenever you try to run the Remote app, iOS 17 tells you that the Remote functionality has been moved to Control Center.

Once nice thing about Control Center in iOS 17 is that it will tell you automatically if your AppleTV is 1st or 2nd Gen 4K.

Oh well, Apple punishing me again for not upgrading to the newest hardware as usual

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TIL you could access the ATV remote app without going through control panel.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah same here, also found out on my TimPhone that upgrading to iOS 17 nerfs the Remote app.

Whenever you try to run the Remote app, iOS 17 tells you that the Remote functionality has been moved to Control Center.
That has been the case for at least one major iOS release.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Mine doesn’t seem to do that. Unless the Remote entry that comes up when you search is NOT the Remote app?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If I'm using my phone for my camera, what the hell am I supposed to fiddle with while talking?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

smackfu posted:

Mine doesn’t seem to do that. Unless the Remote entry that comes up when you search is NOT the Remote app?

It is not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

If I'm using my phone for my camera, what the hell am I supposed to fiddle with while talking?

Use your imagination. Both hands are now free.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Toobin Time

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kalman posted:

It is not.

Ah so it’s just telling you to delete the Remote app and you will not.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I didn’t even know there was a separate remote app, I’ve always launched the remote from command center.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Meanwhile on Apple Watch, there's Music, Remote *and* Now Playing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Your freaking iPad!!!!!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Yeah, this is a really good use of Center Stage since placement of your phone in a living room is probably not going to be perfectly framed or anything. It can handled adjusting for a really bad angle.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I’ve got an Apple TV HD that loses its WiFi connection whenever I wake it up. I have to restart it to get the connection to work. It’s been happening every day the last week or two.

Any ideas?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

I’ve got an Apple TV HD that loses its WiFi connection whenever I wake it up. I have to restart it to get the connection to work. It’s been happening every day the last week or two.

Any ideas?

Maybe wipe it and start over or it’s time to upgrade.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
wifi dropping on wake-up is like the oldest apple bug in the world; i used to have it on my macbook. i guess there's no new firmware update that shipped when tvos 17 dropped for later models that you could try?

when you say restart, do you mean turning it on and off or using the dedicated restart feature? i had to use that one after tvos 17 dropped because of something i forget not working after the update

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I have to go into system and use the restart feature that takes a few minutes every time. Slightly annoying.

Edit: updating to tvOS 17 solved the problem 🙌

Edit 2: it did not 😡

Xabi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 25, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The FaceTime on the newer ATV is really cool. My parents can see my yahoo kids running all around while the center stage thing tries to follow them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FaceTime is seriously making me consider switching my GTV Chromecast back to AppleTV. I previously switched AWAY from my 2015 ATV HD because I wanted to sideload some Japanese IPTV APKs that I haven't touched in probably four years so right now it's mainly momentum. Presumably the HD doesn't get the fun FaceTime stuff with iOS17? Or I'd just go hunting around the basement for that old box and plug it back in.

ATV is JUST outside my impulse buy price range so I guess I'm weighing how much I really expect this "FaceTime with family on a big screen" scenario to play out before it gets old :haw:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Get the new ATV. The biggest advantage other than FaceTime is I haven’t ran into WiFi not connecting after coming out of sleep bug.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anybody use HomePod Mini's as the speaker for their AppleTV? I'm having issues where audio drops out seemingly randomly in a basically every app. Plex, YouTube Kids, Amazon Prime, etc. For example, about every 30 seconds while watching Ghostbusters the audio will disappear. Raising/lowering, muting/unmuting, etc. doesn't fix it. If I stop playback and restart it works for another 30 seconds or so.

It's happening on two different AppleTV 4K models (each with a different HomePod mini connected to it) on different TVs. One ATV is connected via WiFi and the other is connected via ethernet. Every piece of hardware is updated to their latest OS. I've tried rebooting, swapping HomePod mini's to the other ATV, etc. It also happened on tvOS16.

Since each TV uses its own HDMI cable I don't think it's that. Is it just a bug? But it's happening in every video app I use so I can't just blame Plex or whatever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I tried and it didn’t work worth a poo poo so I gave up.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I tried deleting and reloading apps and that didn't fix it.

But if I enable the "use old audio processor" in Plex then it appears to fix the problem. I'm about a quarter through Ghostbusters with no problems.

I think I've also had less (maybe none) issues with the Max app. Isn't that supposed to be a custom lovely video player that people hate?

I'm wondering if apps that use the default Apple AV player crap out but apps that use their own custom player work fine? Was the old Plex audio processor custom and the new one more Apple? A bug in the Apple frameworks would explain why I'm seeing the problem in a bunch of apps but not all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Violator posted:

I tried deleting and reloading apps and that didn't fix it.

But if I enable the "use old audio processor" in Plex then it appears to fix the problem. I'm about a quarter through Ghostbusters with no problems.

I think I've also had less (maybe none) issues with the Max app. Isn't that supposed to be a custom lovely video player that people hate?

I'm wondering if apps that use the default Apple AV player crap out but apps that use their own custom player work fine? Was the old Plex audio processor custom and the new one more Apple? A bug in the Apple frameworks would explain why I'm seeing the problem in a bunch of apps but not all.

Listen. Do you smell something?