Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Show me new voices in first episode. No gimmicks. If the show is capable of being good again, present that to the consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well when you put it that way... :geno:

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

tarlibone posted:

They could do a South Park and cobble together some awkward, oddly cadenced dialog by cutting individual words from previous episodes and crudely editing them together.

I already said do a Chef.

But I dunno if it would be cool.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

ashpanash posted:

I can see Rick and Morty turning into a Community season 6, but I'd be surprised if it dropped to a season 4.

Paget Brewster as Morty and Keith David as Rick.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

S6 of Community is my favourite one these days, the bummer tone and Keith and Paget are all just great

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Human Crouton posted:

Show me new voices in first episode. No gimmicks. If the show is capable of being good again, present that to the consumer.

You're asking the wrong show to not do gimmicks my man. The equivalent of going to a Taco Bell with the expectation they serve ravioli instead of tacos.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
With how over merchandised the show is, it's not like there's much intergity left. It's one of the reasons I grew tired of it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

OldMemes posted:

With how over merchandised the show is, it's not like there's much intergity left. It's one of the reasons I grew tired of it.

I turned myself into 40 cents of injection molded plastic, Morty. I'm injection molded Rick!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

ikanreed posted:

I turned myself into 40 cents of injection molded plastic, Morty. I'm injection molded Rick!

The pringles advert really felt like a tipping point, even if they tried to be ironic with it.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Some people call me Pringle Rick
but I never really found out why

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mark immune posted:

:lol:

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Is there any chance they just use an AI voice? Because I would not put it past them to cheap out like that to avoid having to pay someone, Harmon seems into grifts like that given that he is into NFTs and is anti-union if I remember correctly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The show needs to be brutally murdered if they do

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Is there any chance they just use an AI voice? Because I would not put it past them to cheap out like that to avoid having to pay someone, Harmon seems into grifts like that given that he is into NFTs and is anti-union if I remember correctly.

Wasnt Roiland the big crypto chud?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Harmon is making Krapopolis which is a "Blockchain Animated Series" whatever that means, they're both into it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

alf_pogs posted:

S6 of Community is my favourite one these days, the bummer tone and Keith and Paget are all just great
If "now there's a man who knows how to marry his cousin!" isn't a high point for the series, I legit don't know what is.

Season six fucks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

mark immune posted:

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

hatty posted:

Harmon is making Krapopolis which is a "Blockchain Animated Series" whatever that means, they're both into it

After listening to Harmontown, it seems like he's attracted to new shiny things, but rarely sticks with any one thing for too long. He was big into Tesla but shut up about it when a few people pointed out what a doof Musk was (though they still put him in the show so :shrug: ). Dan will sit around and fantasize about how great a utopian Bitcoin paradise would be, but I'd be surprised if he actually takes action like investing his own money or working it into his creative output beyond meme-y references.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I’m hoping the new voices are close enough that I won’t notice. I don’t have the best ear for these things anyway, and I just want to laugh for 22 minutes after work.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I just watched the first Solar Opposites episode with the new voice for Korvo. I don't mind what they did in getting a completely different voice, but I'm not sure they made the right choice with the voice actor. He seemed to use the same tone of voice for everything, and didn't really seem to emote very much.

Can't tell if it's just my brain rejecting something different, or if he just needs to get used to the role. But at any rate it's still a good show that I will watch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dan Stevens is a very accomplished voice actor, he's done a lot of stuff and was nominated for a few awards. It's an acting choice he's making.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Also I'd say he gets pretty into it by mid season and had a lot more nuance in his inflection

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The show needs to be brutally murdered if they do

If they do, it’s done. As someone who fucks around with ai voices for bits for friends and in jokes. It’s only funny because it just sounds like a robot version of the characters, you have to really gently caress with writing to get it to do any kinda Nuance and if you’re character has any kind of accent or different tone, have fun with consistency.

Anyway I don’t think they do. I think they go with a guy who can do the voices perfectly or they will do some but where they try a bunch of famous voices for a couple episodes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey, H John Benjamin has made an entire career out of doing one voice. It can be done.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hey, H John Benjamin has made an entire career out of doing one voice. It can be done.

And the best thing he's done the van show episode where they lose the audio equipment for long periods is proof he could be so much more.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
You can repackage unhinged in a lot of different ways, I'm hoping the new guy leans into it more.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dan Stevens is a very accomplished voice actor, he's done a lot of stuff and was nominated for a few awards. It's an acting choice he's making.

Holy poo poo. That was Dan Stevens? Couldn't tell at all

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It's funny, 'cause he can do a whole mess of voices, but he often gets told to just do McGuirk, basically.

But even under this limitation, he has that Patrick Warburton thing where Joe, Puddy, and Brock Sampson are all the same voice, more or less, but they're still all unique. Archer and Bob sound like two brothers with different personalities.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Thinking he only does two voices don't seem aware of how many characters he is in Bob's Burgers. Jimmy Jr, lunch lady that monotone heavy set secretary,, Tammy, and a bunch of others. Now I'm not saying he's got more than a half dozen voices but he does have others.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jason from "Home Movies" is another H. Jon voice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Faucet Drinker posted:

Thinking he only does two voices don't seem aware of how many characters he is in Bob's Burgers. Jimmy Jr, lunch lady that monotone heavy set secretary,, Tammy, and a bunch of others. Now I'm not saying he's got more than a half dozen voices but he does have others.

He also did Jason in Home Movies, which is a voice I don't think he uses in Bob's Burgers at all

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Oh drat, I've been rewatching that and wouldn't have guessed

Edit: wait he's not Tammy but is he Jocelyn? Could sworn he was one of em. E: Nope he's neither, but apparently he's far more than I realized.

Faucet Drinker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 23, 2023

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Faucet Drinker posted:

Also I'd say he gets pretty into it by mid season and had a lot more nuance in his inflection

yeah the episode where they clone the Deeno was the turning point for me. now it just sounds normal to me

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Faucet Drinker posted:

It doesn't help that the season's scripts were all originally made for Roiland and re-recorded late into production with Stevens. Next season should be smoother for him.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Mokinokaro posted:

It doesn't help that the season's scripts were all originally made for Roiland and re-recorded late into production with Stevens. Next season should be smoother for him.

I like the approach of writing the character the same way as they would've for Roiland but having the lines be spoken by a more fitting actor.

I'm not here to dunk on Roiland as a voice actor, yes the Morty voice is hilarious, but his Korvo voice was just the Rick voice and Korvo isn't just Rick. He's sensitive and stubborn and clings to tradition and a grumpy British voice just brings all that out more immediately.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm amused that the character randomly started saying "bollocks" since going British, and not just because the Schlorpians don't have balls.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LividLiquid posted:

It's funny, 'cause he can do a whole mess of voices, but he often gets told to just do McGuirk, basically.

But even under this limitation, he has that Patrick Warburton thing where Joe, Puddy, and Brock Sampson are all the same voice, more or less, but they're still all unique. Archer and Bob sound like two brothers with different personalities.

I can actually do a decent mcguirk. I think with voice actors like that it’s all about tone and speed and cadence. You can tell the difference between kronk and Brock and Joe.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Follow up:

I just finished episode 3 of the latest Solar Opposites season, and I'm fully on-board with the new voice actor. He won me over very quickly!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd still be down for an entire season where they have a rotating cast of guest voices. Go absolutely buck-wild with it, like Willem Dafoe as Rick and Laurence Fishburne as Morty.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd still be down for an entire season where they have a rotating cast of guest voices. Go absolutely buck-wild with it, like Willem Dafoe as Rick and Laurence Fishburne as Morty.

Pop team eprick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LividLiquid posted:

But even under this limitation, he has that Patrick Warburton thing where Joe, Puddy, and Brock Sampson are all the same voice, more or less, but they're still all unique.

Don't forget Grandpa Shark