Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Without being able to read the whole article due to the paywall, going off summaries I've read, it almost sounds like the HR department is most at fault here. Conflicts will arise in any workplace, but if they're always dismissed in favor of "the talent", that can only end in toxicity. It doesn't sound like Fallon exhibits the traits of a truly narcissistic, controlling boss, but one way or another he's become somebody who you can't say No to. Maybe he really was a bad boss who wouldn't have listened to HR anyway, but they needed to at least try.
HR represents the interests of the company. Not the employees. It's another tool of management masquerading as something less ghoulish, but like, they didn't even bother to give it a name that reflects that.

They literally only think of humans as resources.

Timby posted:

I mean, NBC knew for years that Matt Lauer was a rapist (to the point that they installed a secret button under his desk so he could lock the office door without having to get up) and they still let him be the god king of NBC News until everything finally started to boil over. Looking the other way is, unfortunately, nothing new for NBC, even going back to the days of Jack Welch, who was an unholy monster.
None of 30 Rock's jokes about this exact thing are funny anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Steve Vader posted:

Leno was a lot more aggressive as a stand up, made his bones kind of being an "attack dog" style comic with a "bitter bitchy rear end in a top hat" vibe.

Well guess the bitter bitchy rear end in a top hat was just him, but yeah I could see him doing that back in the day and actually being funny at the time. I assume as soon as he got the late night gig he knew he was on easy street and just pivoted to unfunny safe and stayed there. Again seems network new what they were doing, as did he, as he was just popular as hell for so long. Real does feel like morning TV stuff, where people just want something, anything on in the background they just don't really need to think about at all. Just needs to hit that right same constant tone.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dr_rat posted:

Well guess the bitter bitchy rear end in a top hat was just him, but yeah I could see him doing that back in the day and actually being funny at the time. I assume as soon as he got the late night gig he knew he was on easy street and just pivoted to unfunny safe and stayed there. Again seems network new what they were doing, as did he, as he was just popular as hell for so long. Real does feel like morning TV stuff, where people just want something, anything on in the background they just don't really need to think about at all. Just needs to hit that right same constant tone.

leno was huge back in the comedy store days of the 70s and 80s, and when he took the tonight show he lived and died by the carson mantra of "play to the midwest, not to the coasts"

its what NBC wanted, along with the fact he was very easy to negotiate with, was very drama and scandal free outside of the letterman fiasco at the time, and had a new england work ethic that meant he barely took vacations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

His "safe" comedy was mostly making GBS threads on the marginalized and blaming victims.

Motherfucker was still doing Monica Lewinsky jokes in like 2006.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Tonight, CBS is replacing reruns of James Corden with reruns of this loving thing from 2006 and 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F08Ud0-a8vc

https://www.paramountpressexpress.c...for-limited-run

quote:

The comedy talk show COMICS UNLEASHED WITH BYRON ALLEN will be added to the CBS fall late night lineup for a limited run with nightly airings (two back-to-back episodes per night) beginning Monday, Sept. 18 (12:37-1:37 AM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+*.

COMICS UNLEASHED WITH BYRON ALLEN, a round-table style comedy talk show featuring a rotating panel of comedians, is hosted by Byron Allen and features comedians such as: Sebastian Maniscalco, Tiffany Haddish, Gabriel Iglesias, Cedric the Entertainer, Howie Mandel, Leslie Jones, Wayne Brady, Roy Wood, Jr., Whitney Cummings, JB Smoove, Billy Gardell, Margaret Cho, Brad Garrett, Sheryl Underwood, Adam Carolla, Gina Yashere, Dane Cook, Sinbad, George Wallace, Caroline Rhea, Tommy Davidson, David Alan Grier, Kevin Hart, Chelsea Handler, Katt Williams, Dennis Miller, Jamie Kennedy, Iliza Shlesinger, Jon Lovitz, Bill Bellamy, Mike Epps, Monique, Tom Papa, Gary Owen, Natasha Leggero, Deon Cole, Lisa Ann Walter, Marc Maron, Anthony Anderson, Russell Peters and many more of today’s top comedians.

Now you no longer need to live in New York to see this crap.

For those unaware, Comics Unleashed was a weekly first run syndicated 30-minute panel show, and ran for two seasons in 2006-07. A third season was produced in 2014. Byron Allen, possessing unbelievable kompromat on various studio heads, has somehow kept these three years' worth of ~100 shows in perpetual syndicated reruns for 17 years and, as of tonight, will have now gotten them on to network.

This also means that Friday's Corden rerun was, in all likelihood, the last Late Late Show broadcast ever on CBS. For posterity, it was episode 500, from June 19 2018, the first of a week of shows from London, with guests Cher and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Seriously. How the hell does Byron loving Allen keep this thing on the air? It's been a long-running joke in the stand-up industry. Appearing on this show is still a mark of shame which will apparently never be allowed to fade away. Here's this week's victims.

Monday, Sept. 18 *NEW*

Gina Yashere; Steve Mazan; Ross Bennett; Gilbert Esquivel (season three, episode 45)

Maz Jobrani; Al Lubel; John Witherspoon; Heidi Foss (season three, episode 62)

Tuesday, Sept. 19 *NEW*

Tiffany Haddish; Joe Devito; Tom Dreesen; Jeff Wayne (season three, episode 65)

Cedric the Entertainer; Jon Lovitz; Rita Rudner; David Brenner (season one, episode 10)

Wednesday, Sept. 20 *NEW*

Wayne Brady; Steve Brown; Howie Bell; B-Phlat (Beverly Nelson) (season one, episode 74)

Dax Shepard; Tom Arnold; George Wallace; Greg Wilson (season one, episode 41)

Thursday, Sept. 21 *NEW*

Gabriel Iglesias; Robert Kelly; Cathy Ladman; John Witherspoon (season one, episode 28)

Cocoa Brown; Lavell Crawford; Jay Lamont; Joey Wells (season one, episode 71)

Friday, Sept. 22 *NEW*

Leslie Jones; Roy Wood Jr.; Dean Edwards; Ralph Harris (season one, episode 52)

Erin Foley; Matt Baetz; James Johann; Jimmie “JJ” Walker (season three, episode 20)

No i'm not formatting them, nor posting them every week.

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 18, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Posting this here because he’s rumored as a top candidate for the Daily Show job. The New Yorker has a piece about how much of Hassan Minhaj’s life story, told in his comedy shows but not really for comedy effect, is falsified. He didn’t get white powder in the mail, he didn’t get ditched by his prom date for being brown, and his visit to the Saudi embassy was long before the Khashoggi murder.

Hasan Minhaj’s “Emotional Truths” https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-communications/hasan-minhajs-emotional-truths

I’ve always doubted the veracity of his stories. He shows up at the doorstep of his prom date just in time to witness the white boy put a corsage on her? What’s this, a Lifetime movie? I’m just surprised it took so long for someone to call him
out.

I hope he doesn’t get the job.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

On one hand, I can see the argument for trying to personalize the stories common in marginalized communities to create a more immediate emotional understanding...

...but "emotional truth" superceding "factual truth" is the goddamn definition of "truthiness."

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

pwn posted:

Tonight, CBS is replacing reruns of James Corden with reruns of this loving thing from 2006 and 2014

Is this a uh, "spiritual" successor to Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn? Does it have any teeth?

https://youtu.be/ymltNm4p2VY?si=cTAKVppr7Ib4Sfxu

pwn
May 27, 2004

TVGM posted:

Is this a uh, "spiritual" successor to Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn? Does it have any teeth?

https://youtu.be/ymltNm4p2VY?si=cTAKVppr7Ib4Sfxu

No

I've watched six episodes and they've all been aggressively mediocre. It's just comics taking turns doing bits.

Jon Lovitz was especially depressing, he was only there for the paycheque and you could see his soul leaving his body.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Minhaj already had his own TDS-esque show on Netflix and it was fine but not great.

Roy Wood Jr deserves to host the most out of all the people they had try out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pwn posted:

No

I've watched six episodes and they've all been aggressively mediocre. It's just comics taking turns doing bits.

Jon Lovitz was especially depressing, he was only there for the paycheque and you could see his soul leaving his body.

there was a short lived podcast with kevin smith and him, the abcs of snl. its a good listen, but lovitz really had no patience for kevin smith wanting to go episode by episode of his snl run.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1706129773771063324?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

https://twitter.com/resonantjustice/status/1706130803317485654?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Will shows come back this week? On one hand there would be no actors since the SAG strike is ongoing. On the other I can see the networks putting a gun to their respective late host's heads and making them go on with sports and music stars and whoever else they can get. Currently there are reruns scheduled this week for all shows.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They JUST signed a tentative agreement; why would there be shows this week? Next week at the earliest, and I doubt that'll happen. I'd love to be wrong, though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What I'm hearing is second week of October.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Honestly I'm fine with a couple weeks from now for purely personal reasons, I ain't quite ready yet, got a few more things left to catch up on.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think when they come back, there should be a new thread. This one's almost 10 years old!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I think when they come back, there should be a new thread. This one's almost 10 years old!

Thank god, i've wanted to say so several times over the past couple years but there was never a good break. I'll get one together by week's end.

Thread name suggestions go below

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
As someone who constantly poo poo on Colbert I am excited to see him and others come back! I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube content, and while it’s awesome there is this whole other outlet for amateurs to get started, it’s so much nicer watching a professional production, even if it is an elaborate commercial for some partners subdivision film company.

Writing and editing is hard, and it’s cool people can hopefully continue making a living at it.

:unsmith:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Late Night Talk Shows: AKA Morning Comfort Viewing For Olds

Late Night Hostile Work Environments

Late Night: Jimmy Fallon Flameout Watch

Late Night: Watch a Format Decay in Real Time

Late Night with No One of Import

Return of the Late Nightly gently caress Trump Monologue Parade

Late Night Talk Shows: Let's Play Charades With an Alcoholic

Late Night Talk Shows: She Lies and Says She's in Love with Jim, Can't Find a Letterman

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 27, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Late Night Talk Shows: welcome to 11:30, bitch *dumps $100 in dimes*

Late Night Talk Shows: Our elder statesman was on the Man Show

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is the Daily Show still doing rotating guest hosts?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

is the CBS @Midnight revival still going to go ahead or did that get canned when the strike dragged on?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Late Night Talk Shows: Outdated format, dead gay forums

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Late Night Talk Shows: Just go to bed already, chief

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Steve Vader posted:

Late Night Talk Shows: She Lies and Says She's in Love with Jim, Can't Find a Letterman

fuckin hahahahaha

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1707065066988749117?s=20

drat! Super fast.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Late night talk shows: Holes with water and toys and everything

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Can we lose the shows and keep Strike Force Five instead? That's a much more enjoyable hour, Fallon's contributions excluded.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.thedailybeast.com/hasan-minhaj-expose-reportedly-sank-his-chances-to-host-daily-show

Hasan Minhaj’s “emotional truths” reportedly cost him his frontrunner status to succeed Trevor Noah as host of The Daily Show—which is set to return on October 16 with guest hosts through 2023. A new, permanent host is coming in 2024, the show confirmed on Wednesday. Earlier this month, a New Yorker profile explored portions of Minhaj’s biography (as told through stand-up) that didn’t quite pass fact-checking. Minhaj argued that his stories got at an “emotional truth”—prompting comedians to sound off on when it is and is not okay to lie on stage. While three sources told Variety in August that Minhaj was the frontrunner to take over Daily Show, the trade now reports that Paramount Global has gone “back to square one.” (Both Comedy Central and WME—which represents Minhaj—declined Variety’s request for comment; the magazine also noted that Comedy Central has never confirmed Minhaj as a frontrunner for the job.)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shocking that a comedian would lie on stage like that. Next you’re gonna tell me that Rodney Dangerfield had a wife who loved him and got some respect

pwn
May 27, 2004

blunt posted:

is the CBS @Midnight revival still going to go ahead or did that get canned when the strike dragged on?

It's still going forward, at least i've not heard anything to suggest otherwise, but considering it's a panel show, I doubt it will enter production until after SAG's strike ends.

Side q: does anyone here want me to include midnight in listings? Personally I don't care about it at all and plan to watch it as much as I watched the original (none) but that's just me.

DC Murderverse posted:

Shocking that a comedian would lie on stage like that. Next you’re gonna tell me that Rodney Dangerfield had a wife who loved him and got some respect

Yeah I'm sorry but I just can't muster shits to give about the matter, like if he were up for a job reporting news maybe lying would matter but for the job of the daily show he's perfectly qualified to tell me what happened that day and then compare that to something else that it would be like.

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 28, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Did you actually read the story? There’s a real difference between Rodney saying he got no respect at home and Hasan saying that he was targeted with fake Anthrax in the mail.

And also he literally used a blurred out photo of his prom date to tell a fake racism story that caused her to get a ton of abuse online. This isn’t inconsequential poo poo.

Between this and the Fallon poo poo I think you just have real bad opinions on what the ethical thing to do is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vegetable posted:

Between this and the Fallon poo poo I think you just have real bad opinions on what the ethical thing to do is.

Don't forget his full-throated love of noted piece of poo poo James Corden.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/jimmy-fallon-nbc-disliked-late-night-host-film-flops-1235737974/

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Why the gently caress was Lorne so keen on Fallon doing late night? He apparently didn't even want it, and everything about him screams he'd be pretty poo poo at it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

pwn posted:

Side q: does anyone here want me to include midnight in listings? Personally I don't care about it at all and plan to watch it as much as I watched the original (none) but that's just me.

If you've got 'em, I'll read 'em, because that show was always real dependent on guests to work.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The Warren Zevon Late Nite Talk Shows Memorial Thread

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dr_rat posted:

Why the gently caress was Lorne so keen on Fallon doing late night? He apparently didn't even want it, and everything about him screams he'd be pretty poo poo at it.

Because Lorne has always loved Fallon for some unfathomable reason, and since Lorne has been the god king of NBC late night since 2009 (well, 2014 is when he took over everything, assuming control over The Tonight Show after Leno stepped down in addition to being in charge of Late Night), whatever Lorne wants, Lorne gets.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Also NBC execs believe Lorne has so much influence his org can get guests on that they couldn't pull on their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Late Night Talk Show: Slippin on nuts.