Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

He didn’t even look at the pitcher while celebrating and rounding the bases on that home run. This is MadBum-levels of red-assery for a pitcher to hold a grudge and start poo poo about.

I don't care if he does a Joey Bats level batflip and runs backwards around the bases, throw better pitches

e: granted I tend to give hitters a lot more leeway on that stuff. but hell, I don't mind the Rodney arrow celebration. no need to approach a guy and yell at him because that's always going to lead to the dugouts clearing out though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

This.

This.

:allears:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah but you see that stuff all the time in the NBA and NFL and no one blinks an eye at all. Again, as long as it's not getting physical it just doesn't seem like a big deal. It's childish I guess but whatever - if anything you'd think Mariner fans would love it because clearly their young superstar is getting under the skin of their hated rival.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's way easier for a pitcher to strike someone out than for a batter to hit a home run. That's why it's super lame for a pitcher to go after a hitter like that versus a guy bat flipping. It's Hunter Strickland stuff.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
It’s gonna be hilarious if the Astros try to play this Neris thing as a season defining moment and then get swept by the DBacks

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Edit: Nah, I take it back. I've said my peace and honestly it's not a big enough deal to dwell on. Feel free to disagree.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Yeah but you see that stuff all the time in the NBA and NFL and no one blinks an eye at all. Again, as long as it's not getting physical it just doesn't seem like a big deal. It's childish I guess but whatever - if anything you'd think Mariner fans would love it because clearly their young superstar is getting under the skin of their hated rival.

If you approach a guy in the NBA and start yelling in his face you get T'd up

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah but usually multiple offenses - they'll get warnings unless it's really blatant.

But if Neris got like a game suspension or whatever (probably the equivalent to a T for a reliever) I wouldn't be upset with it.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I hope the Mariners are very angry about Neris and take it out on the Rangers tomorrow through Sunday.

Of course, for this to matter, the Astros have to win a JP France vs. Zac Gallen game or a Hunter Brown vs. Anybody game, so maybe it's best the Rangers just do the needful and we accept our wildcard fate.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

this is why no one takes you seriously when you ask everyone to post more chill at each other

e: to be clear, I'm not saying you can't talk poo poo. you wannt talk poo poo? do it. but getting all weepy when people talk poo poo back and threatening to stop posting forever? whatever man

I don't like to talk poo poo. I'm cool with players or fans celebrating cool things. I think it crosses a line when you're mocking your opponent or the loser. That's an rear end in a top hat thing to do. I try to avoid it but I've done it here or there because I'm flawed. I might have done it earlier tonight making what I thought in the moment was a light hearted joke but maybe was more hostile towards parties I don't care for than I intended. I don't like the Astros organization or attitude around the culture/fanbase. I've also said I don't like the poo poo talking/mocking attitude around my own team's fanbase/culture many, many, many times.

I haven't said it because I've just been trying to lay low and avoid the hostility and aggression ever since you know when. But GOMS.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Look dude I get poo poo all the time IRL from Mariners fans, even with my family, for wearing Astros gear (I've gone into detail in the past, not gonna do it again). But I don't take it out on the Mariner posters here STAC.

Hate the Astros, hell you'll be joining 28 other fanbase. But why take it out on people here, especially when what Intruder said was pretty mild, and honestly...a fair criticism.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kirios posted:

Look dude I get poo poo all the time IRL from Mariners fans, even with my family, for wearing Astros gear (I've gone into detail in the past, not gonna do it again). But I don't take it out on the Mariner posters here STAC.

I've taken hostility for basically all my teams all my life. Sometimes it gets to be too much for me and overwhelms the fun (especially when the teams themselves aren't a lot of fun). Sometimes I take it out on someone or lose my cool. You've all been witness to some of those times and maybe even victim. For that I'm sorry. I'm not sorry for being against the hostility.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

gonna go on the record and say that if a dude pimps a HR and you strike him out in a huge spot later in the same game you should have license to pimp the strikeout like crazy

holding onto it for a year is lame as gently caress

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I figured you’d understand that to an extent, being a Yankee fan. So I’d only ask that you try to have some relative perspective on this stuff.

You’re better than mcmagic. Don’t be like him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I don't like to talk poo poo. I'm cool with players or fans celebrating cool things. I think it crosses a line when you're mocking your opponent or the loser. That's an rear end in a top hat thing to do. I try to avoid it but I've done it here or there because I'm flawed. I might have done it earlier tonight making what I thought in the moment was a light hearted joke but maybe was more hostile towards parties I don't care for than I intended. I don't like the Astros organization or attitude around the culture/fanbase. I've also said I don't like the poo poo talking/mocking attitude around my own team's fanbase/culture many, many, many times.

I haven't said it because I've just been trying to lay low and avoid the hostility and aggression ever since you know when. But GOMS.

I'm fine with GOMS. It becomes personal when it's something about how all the Astros posters are scumbags for liking the team they've grown up liking

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I'm fine with GOMS. It becomes personal when it's something about how all the Astros posters are scumbags for liking the team they've grown up liking

You're fine to like the team you like. You're fine to dislike a team for whatever reason. I don't like the nastiness that grows around rivalries and counter fanbases and stuff like that. Especially when it then extends beyond the team. I don't know anything about the city of Houston and don't hold anything against its citizens. I don't think every Astros fan is any worse than any Yankees or Cardinals or Red Sox fan or whatever. I just don't like the vibe that has developed the last 5 years or so. When your enjoyment of sports becomes about someone else's suffering sports goes bad.

Full disclosure, I'd like to see the Astros miss the playoffs. Part of that is petty dislike, I admit. But also a large part of it is jut not wanting to watch another Astors playoff run.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I didn't watch the game because I did actually follow through on my earlier post that watching the team was too bad for my mental health. But I did watch the Neris incident in the earlier linked tweet, and I did find this nugget about the confrontation.

https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1707272404010189209

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well that's hosed

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah that obviously changes things. That’s bullshit and shouldn’t be tolerated.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/OurEsquina/status/1707251511485472866

Guess we'll find out more over the next couple days (also, fucker? pretty sure that's p***y)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 28, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pungry posted:

I didn't watch the game because I did actually follow through on my earlier post that watching the team was too bad for my mental health. But I did watch the Neris incident in the earlier linked tweet, and I did find this nugget about the confrontation.

you have got to be loving kidding me :cripes:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Jeimer Candelario is back from the IL. Jared Young hit a cool dong and immediately got sent back down to the minors.

If only the Candyman could fix a broken bullpen.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pungry posted:

Yo Hector shut up, you've gotten pretty lucky this year

If this really is about a HR from pre-All-Star break of last season then man's got a problem

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

HRs are the new OBP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Braves have the majority of that lineup locked into absurdly cheap contracts until the end of the decade, which is crazy

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Braves have the majority of that lineup locked into absurdly cheap contracts until the end of the decade, which is crazy

Yeah it owns OP.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/OurEsquina/status/1707251511485472866

Guess we'll find out more over the next couple days (also, fucker? pretty sure that's p***y)

I’ve only ever heard it used as an exclamation, kind of the way an American would say “oh gently caress!” or “motherfucker!” but 🤷‍♂️

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/prospectdugout/status/1707164017146417633

The cheating will continue until MLB does something, because they can just bean hitters in retaliation, too

If there's no consequence for leaning into a pitch, then the Astros will put Maldonado in the lineup

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Red posted:

If there's no consequence for leaning into a pitch, then the Astros will put Maldonado in the lineup
Don't threaten me with a good time

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't threaten me with a good time

Amazing that Aledmys Diaz couldn't even cheat right and ended up in Oakland

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ortizkicks/status/1707395752505258417?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Apparently this is just the Spanish c-word.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/prospectdugout/status/1707164017146417633

The cheating will continue until MLB does something, because they can just bean hitters in retaliation, too

Hit a player in the back: call that lumbar lumber.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah it's apparently not even really a slur, only that one Seattle Times guy was claiming that. But still shut the gently caress up Hector. Or at least don't go get in a guy's face for striking him out in the loving 6th inning of a regular season game, even if you're (unjustifiably) salty about something well over a year ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hating is cool, I love hating. Did people want to come out of this interaction wanting to like Astros players more? Do we want to like the Mariners more? The Astros Mariners rivalry intensifying is good, it makes the games more entertaining. As long as no body is throwing at people or people are getting hurt, I don’t give a poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Narrator: "people were throwing at players and getting hurt"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/RandomMagazines/status/1707236524809466098

Curt Schilling: No idea if Tim Wakefield wanted this to be public, but he has brain cancer and I'm the first to break the news, let's pray to Jebus

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Hating is cool, I love hating. Did people want to come out of this interaction wanting to like Astros players more? Do we want to like the Mariners more? The Astros Mariners rivalry intensifying is good, it makes the games more entertaining. As long as no body is throwing at people or people are getting hurt, I don’t give a poo poo.

Hating on the field is boring. Be excited when you do cool poo poo and make big plays, and you can be upset about failing to perform in a big spot as well, but getting mad because somebody else did their loving job and beat you is just toddler poo poo. Get over yourself, you don't always succeed. It's great when you do and it sucks when you don't but it has nothing to do with the guy on the other end's personal feelings about you. Yordan didn't crush Robbie Ray's pitch because he hated Ray, he did it because he wanted to win. Julio didn't take Hector yard last year because he didn't like him.

If a player needs to go the hate route to pump themselves up psychologically to perform then fine I guess, but it still makes you look like a giant baby when you celebrate the way Neris did. Yeah it's a division game in the midst of a postseason race against a team you are specifically jockeying with for position in the standings, but unless there's some specific mutual beef they had it just makes no sense to go after him like that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/RandomMagazines/status/1707236524809466098

Curt Schilling: No idea if Tim Wakefield wanted this to be public, but he has brain cancer and I'm the first to break the news, let's pray to Jebus

Schilling you absolute preening rear end in a top hat. Stay the gently caress away from the reunions next year.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

it's crazy how you'd think that there could never be a bigger baseball fucker in our generation than Aubrey Huff but then Shilling just keeps getting worse and worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

it's crazy how you'd think that there could never be a bigger baseball fucker in our generation than Aubrey Huff but then Shilling just keeps getting worse and worse

Them and John Rocker should take a sub to the Titanic.