Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
lol one of my friends who doesnt follow tech just went to twitter for some customer service thing and went

"uh wtf twitter changed their logo and is now called x? what happened?"

so yeah, that was a fun thing to have to explain, that musk owns it now and people pay $8 for extra antisemitism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that's an impressive amount of being disconnected considering even my parents were aware musk bought it when it happened and i don't think either of them has ever even seen a twitter

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shame Boy posted:

that's an impressive amount of being disconnected considering even my parents were aware musk bought it when it happened and i don't think either of them has ever even seen a twitter

I wish I could be that disconnected.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

leper khan posted:

I wish I could be that disconnected.

try playing a stereo mcs record backwards

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think i found the most deranged and blatant "a marketer working for the company wrote this" wiki article i've ever seen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoto

quote:

Anoto Group AB (formerly C Technologies) is a Swedish cloud-based software provider (SaaS). It primarily dispenses patented dot pattern technology which provides a methodology for accumulating digital big data from analogue inputs.

for context, the only product they make that anyone appears to give any fucks about is a pen with a camera in it that digitizes what you write on special paper. so obviously that makes them a SaaS Big Data company.

wait did i say big data, that buzzword is old hat, i meant AI

quote:

Cognitive Artificial Intelligence is a cloud based AI program designed for offline education use. A digital pen aggregates and converts written analogue data on paper to digital data, and combined with a diagnostics assessment platform, enables an AI algorithm to recommend an individualized study plans.

wait did i say AI, i meant IoT, or i guess "what if a QR code, but we own the patent!"

quote:

Using Anoto's dot pattern, aDNA makes it possible to uniquely and unobtrusively mark physical objects and then easily identify those individual objects using ubiquitous mobile devices such as phones and tablets. aDNA is enabling possibilities for product innovation, marketing insights, and supply-chain control.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Gonna be honest, a pen that automatically digitizes what I write would be pretty cool. If it has to be "special paper" then no thanks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

Gonna be honest, a pen that automatically digitizes what I write would be pretty cool. If it has to be "special paper" then no thanks

the only actual technology they seem to have is simultaneously kinda impressive and incredibly limited. basically they encode digital information into a dot pattern by slightly varying the spacing of dots on a grid, which the small camera on the pen picks up and decodes into absolute position along with metadata, so it even knows what page you're writing on. supposedly it can work with just a dot pattern made on a laser printer but i'm sure the "proper" use is to buy their special paper along with it or something.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lgr did a video on it recently (or maybe this is why y'all are talking about it, :justpost:) and when i watching i really felt it was an interesting tech being used for the wrong application

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i saw a demo video for a handheld cnc router that used special tape with registration markers on it to track its position on e.g. a sheet of plywood. the user makes broad strokes manually and the router corrects their movements with servos to match a set of plans

apart from the annoyance of having to buy a special consumable tape it seemed like a loving awesome tool for people who don't have space for a gigantic cnc router table

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Internet Janitor posted:

i saw a demo video for a handheld cnc router that used special tape with registration markers on it to track its position on e.g. a sheet of plywood. the user makes broad strokes manually and the router corrects their movements with servos to match a set of plans

apart from the annoyance of having to buy a special consumable tape it seemed like a loving awesome tool for people who don't have space for a gigantic cnc router table

shaper origin is in fact really neat, even if it is the worst woodworking powertool (router)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

when Firefox completely stopped working on my phone for no apparent reason I tried using chrome and jfc it's bad. literally everything directs you through search to show you ads.

in the end wiping the entire phone and reinstalling Firefox was a preferable option

the MS Edge start page is an incredible wall of sponsored and cross-promotional content laser targeted at boomers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does Edge still surveil your online shopping behavior with no option of turning it off?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

lgr did a video on it recently (or maybe this is why y'all are talking about it, :justpost:) and when i watching i really felt it was an interesting tech being used for the wrong application

afaik he did not, are you thinking of that laser mouse that needed that patterned mousepad? cuz that's a different, simpler thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rotor posted:

shaper origin is in fact really neat, even if it is the worst woodworking powertool (router)

yeah i've wanted one of those for years but the one time i looked into getting one it both wasn't available and said would be available soon for like $5000 and yeah no thanks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought cricut was babby's first cnc. or does that only work on, like, cloth

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Shame Boy posted:

yeah i've wanted one of those for years but the one time i looked into getting one it both wasn't available and said would be available soon for like $5000 and yeah no thanks

drop a zero off the price tag and i'd buy one on impulse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyway i was looking up digitizers cuz i was wondering how the gently caress the buttons on the wacom pen work when there's seemingly nothing active in the pen (as it doesn't need a battery), and if you just google something like "wacom pen button mechanism" google helpfully gives you a bunch of results of people going "how do i make button click things" or "how do i change the button bindings" so i just had to go to wikipedia and look around, and i noticed that weird way of doing it.

the answer in modern wacom tablets, if anyone is curious, is just that it actually does have a circuit in it that's inductively powered by coils in the tablet, and it's ultra low power so the fact that it's not very well coupled doesn't really matter. apparently the older ones used a much more interesting analog system though where the buttons would change the resonance of the coil in the pen by a certain amount (presumably by adding a capacitor or something)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

I thought cricut was babby's first cnc. or does that only work on, like, cloth

i mean it's the only CNC that my mom has ever used so i just assumed it was The CNC For Moms

she loves hers, btw. uses it a bunch to make overly-elaborate greeting cards and other retired lady hobbies

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i guess modern sewing machines are also basically CNC For Moms too, i know hers (which is like 20 years old by now) could have fancy-rear end stitches and embroideries uploaded to it somehow, i assume modern ones add wifi and do the same thing but As A Service or something

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

i know hers (which is like 20 years old by now) could have fancy-rear end stitches and embroideries uploaded to it somehow,

In the early 2000's I worked at an LCS where charging grandma's $20 to download a pattern and put it on a floppy disk that they would then plug into their embroidery machine was a fairly regular occurrence.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Are inkjet printers CNC? Discuss

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Juul-Whip posted:

the MS Edge start page is an incredible wall of sponsored and cross-promotional content laser targeted at boomers
so this morning I'm using Edge on my work machine and opened a new blank tab, and it immediately popped up one of those cookie tracker-type dialogs, even though I'd have everything turned off as much as they'll let me lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BMan posted:

Are inkjet printers CNC? Discuss

https://www.instructables.com/Print-Conductive-Circuits-With-An-Inkjet-Printer/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

try playing a stereo mcs record backwards

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
or should that be aiii lmao

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shame Boy posted:

afaik he did not, are you thinking of that laser mouse that needed that patterned mousepad? cuz that's a different, simpler thing

my bad, different youtuber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtnX-updkvE

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shame Boy posted:

just start a youtube channel, they will eventually send you a free one on the condition that you use it in every single video

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sweevo posted:

just start a youtube channel, they will eventually send you a free one on the condition that you use it in every single video

seriously, jesus christ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

\o\
            /o/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

another thing i read about a while ago and wanted to do until i looked up the cost of the ink and it was like $300 lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ah yeah that's the right thing, never seen this guy before though but i already watch LGR and Technology Connections and Cathode Ray Dude so i'm all full up on chonky round-faced white dudes talking about tech things

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

i'm all full up on chonky round-faced white dudes talking about tech things

turn on youre monitor!!!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shame Boy posted:

ah yeah that's the right thing, never seen this guy before though but i already watch LGR and Technology Connections and Cathode Ray Dude so i'm all full up on chonky round-faced white dudes talking about tech things

yeah I'm subbed to this guy purely for his reviews of scam electronics but sometimes he does oddware like the pentop

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah I'm subbed to this guy purely for his reviews of scam electronics but sometimes he does oddware like the pentop

i watched it and he seems fine, decent format, covered all the history like i'd want from a video like this, just mostly... unremarkable...

though he did use "put that up on still-store" when he shows a picture which is something i've always said i'd do as A Thing if I ever made youtube videos, so I liked that.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

This is the first I've heard of this thing and I'm curious. I have a shapeko CNC router table and it is like half that cost. You can get a pretty nice CNC router for $5000.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Manzoon posted:

This is the first I've heard of this thing and I'm curious. I have a shapeko CNC router table and it is like half that cost. You can get a pretty nice CNC router for $5000.

5000 was a number i pulled out of my rear end but checking just now the actual price is $3600 for the "complete" kit and $2900 for just the router by itself, which is still way too much but less I guess.

mostly interested because I really do not have the kinda space an actual CNC machine would require, but one that you can chuck in a closet would be perfect, if it were like 1/4th the price

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

5000 was a number i pulled out of my rear end but checking just now the actual price is $3600 for the "complete" kit and $2900 for just the router by itself, which is still way too much but less I guess.

mostly interested because I really do not have the kinda space an actual CNC machine would require, but one that you can chuck in a closet would be perfect, if it were like 1/4th the price

I'll check it out regardless because it seems like a cool idea, but I don't think it can probably do the kind of stuff I need it to. One of the reasons why I have a CNC is to do cut operations that don't allow for holding a router flat on to any kind of reasonable jig. Also doing the exact same operation 100 times with minimal set up. That guide tape is a neat idea but I guess lends itself to just one offs naturally.

For reference I have an older model of this thing:
https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/cnc-routers/products/shapeoko-pro-cnc-router?variant=32912259186749

One tool I really wish I had was a laser cutter or engraver, they make weird adapter kits for router tables but it seems like a huge hassle.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the shaper router is absolutely not designed for production work

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's 100% for the idiot "maker" crowd who think it's impossible to make anything out of anything without using a CNC or a 3D printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sweevo posted:

it's 100% for the idiot "maker" crowd who think it's impossible to make anything out of anything without using a CNC or a 3D printer.

idk i did a lot of hand-tool woodworking before I got a 3D printer and said similar sorts of things back then, and I really still like doing it from time to time, but man being able to just cad something up and have the printer spit it out is a lot better. like now when i do woodworking it's for something actually nice that i want to make out of wood, not just because i need a weirdly-shaped bracket for something or whatever and the only material I can reasonably form into that shape in my apartment is wood.