Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

~ 13 hours until Ryder Cup balls are in the air!

First session games:

https://twitter.com/kyleportercbs/status/1707407181404909724?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Kind of surprised to see Spieth/Thomas play fourball (presumably?) over foursomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ryder Cup should be fun, the course they’re playing has a lot of crazy rough that’s only like 10 feet from the fairway. I just wish the time difference wasn’t so awkward for watching it live in the US.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m gonna try to use my weird Hulu DVR feature I’ve never touched and try not to read any spoilers and pretend like I’m watching it live

Edit: also thanks for the club suggestions got some stuff to keep an eye on at the golf store

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 28, 2023

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Ryder Cup should be fun, the course they’re playing has a lot of crazy rough that’s only like 10 feet from the fairway. I just wish the time difference wasn’t so awkward for watching it live in the US.

I’ve watched a few YouTubers play it, and it looks brutal.

In other golf news. I played a course, and shot 106. 55 front 49 back. I melted down on the first 4 holes. 9/5/8/7. I was genuinely going to walk off. The only positives I hit 3 GIR, so that’s pog.

And I was running so early, I just spent 30 minutes chipping onto the 17th as there was no one near me. Chipping is fun, I should do it more often.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm certainly no expert but based on everything I've read, while irons have gotten better over the last decade, it is mostly in the areas of distance and forgiveness. If your distances are already good, and you don't need extra forgiveness, new irons may not do all that much for you.

One quote that stuck with me from some youtube video was, "people will tell me they hit their 7 iron two hundred yards, and first - I don't care, and second - thats actually not useful."

If you are using like, game improvement irons from 20 years ago you'll likely get the most significant gains from upgrading to a modern set of irons. But when comparing everyone has to remember that modern iron lofts are cooked.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 28, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

In other high pressure golf news

https://twitter.com/Mike_kim714/status/1707481159192424941?s=20

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 29, 2023

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Rahm on loving fire out there

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Rahm on loving fire out there

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m glad my putting is on a similar level to team USA

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

we're getting loving owned lol

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Urethane posted:

we're getting loving owned lol

Yea but you were trouncing us in the Solheim, then we brought it back.

I’m not going to celebrate till the end.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

This is a loving drubbing

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Cantlay has a loving 210 yard 7 iron? Jesus.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

McIlroy and Fitzpatrick just casually winning six holes in a row.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

McIlroy and Fitzpatrick just casually winning six holes in a row.

Fixed that for you

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
So I bought a new golf towel and it's huge, the loop for hanging it is on the long side, and it has a slit in the center of it... how am I supposed to attach this to my bag?

Every other towel I've had has had like 3 holes along the long edge that you line up so it folds like a letter in an envelope when you put a clip through it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

So I bought a new golf towel and it's huge, the loop for hanging it is on the long side, and it has a slit in the center of it... how am I supposed to attach this to my bag?

Every other towel I've had has had like 3 holes along the long edge that you line up so it folds like a letter in an envelope when you put a clip through it
Just drape it across the top of your bag. Can put alignment sticks through the holes.

Josh Lyman posted:

Did someone say headcover shot?

New (used) irons and 52*.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Just drape it across the top of your bag. Can put alignment sticks through the holes.

Shooow offffffff

Got drat those towels look smart

Anno
May 10, 2017

I have a hard time getting invested in rooting for any one Ryder Cup team so mostly I hope for a) great golf but more importantly b) chaos and boy is this delivering. There are gonna be some god damned quotes coming out of this one. RIP Zach Johnson, the knives are gonna be out thick and fast.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Turns out you don't win Ryder Cups with "vibes".

Quote this when the US sweeps the rest of the matches.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
HCA seems like the biggest determining factor. Loved JTs energy on 15 after that putt they’ll need more of that if they want a chance

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah complain about the Burns pick however much but taking JT was absolutely the right call I think. Him and Jordan need to play twice tomorrow.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Call in an Emergency "Code Reed" to troll and antagonize the euros :911:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Call in an Emergency "Code Reed" to troll and antagonize the euros :911:

Speaking of:

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/38510351/judge-dismisses-patrick-reed-750m-defamation-lawsuits

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Strokes gained from day one. Oooof:
https://twitter.com/DataGolf/status/1707802274146254955

BonoMan posted:

For fun I checked in with one of the nicer country clubs here in Cary, NC to see what their (JUST GOLF) package was.

$600 month with a $19,000 initiation fee.
I'm looking at joining somewhere in chicago. Initiation at the full service family country clubs (e.g., incl. pool) seems to run like 70-150k (non-refundable of course), and monthlies of a bit over 1k. Pretty brutal.

xsf421 posted:

I’ll have to post pictures when I get back, but I did a cheap Michigan golf trip this week. Two rounds at Manistee National, then Pilgrims Run and the Mines in Grand Rapids. Pilgrims Run might be one of the nicest public courses in the state, especially for the price.
Yeah, lots of nice golf out there. Hawkshead in South Haven is a different vibe than some of the more woods-ey courses and is also quite cheap.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The SG data is horrific but it’s interesting to see what it can get you in match play. JT/Spieth look like they should’ve lost like 5&4 but ended up splitting with a way stronger SG performance.

https://twitter.com/datagolf/status/1707806606463734024?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

gvibes posted:

Strokes gained from day one. Oooof:
https://twitter.com/DataGolf/status/1707802274146254955

I'm looking at joining somewhere in chicago. Initiation at the full service family country clubs (e.g., incl. pool) seems to run like 70-150k (non-refundable of course), and monthlies of a bit over 1k. Pretty brutal.

Yeah, lots of nice golf out there. Hawkshead in South Haven is a different vibe than some of the more woods-ey courses and is also quite cheap.

70-150 grand just joining fee? loving hell. Like who has that just lying around. You better be there every evening to make the most of it.

I get that your country clubs have pools and a lot more amenities than our golf clubs, but drat.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Rough day for team USA, jeeze. I have a hard time rooting against some of the euro guys since they are so entertaining but in the Ryder Cup you've gotta pull for your team. Spieth hanging JT out to dry on the back nine and lots of missed short putts by half the US players really cost us today.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Suprfli6 posted:

Rough day for team USA, jeeze. I have a hard time rooting against some of the euro guys since they are so entertaining but in the Ryder Cup you've gotta pull for your team. Spieth hanging JT out to dry on the back nine and lots of missed short putts by half the US players really cost us today.
Yeah, euros are pretty darn likeable right now. Hovland is a real treat. Not really a Poulter/Garcia-level foil among them, other than maybe Rahm, but I feel like he has mellowed a bit the last couple of years.

Oodles posted:

70-150 grand just joining fee? loving hell. Like who has that just lying around. You better be there every evening to make the most of it.

I get that your country clubs have pools and a lot more amenities than our golf clubs, but drat.
The one I'm thinking of allows payment over three years, so nbd!

It varies a ton by geography. I just happened to look at a detroit suburban CC for instance, and it's 21k and 600 a month to join a Donald Ross designed club with full amenities - https://www.westerngcc.com/files/2023%20WGCC%20MEMBERSHIP%20INFORMATION.pdf

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

gvibes posted:

Yeah, euros are pretty darn likeable right now. Hovland is a real treat. Not really a Poulter/Garcia-level foil among them, other than maybe Rahm, but I feel like he has mellowed a bit the last couple of years.

The one I'm thinking of allows payment over three years, so nbd!

It varies a ton by geography. I just happened to look at a detroit suburban CC for instance, and it's 21k and 600 a month to join a Donald Ross designed club with full amenities - https://www.westerngcc.com/files/2023%20WGCC%20MEMBERSHIP%20INFORMATION.pdf

Post-covid demand really increased initiation fees. My club in ATL has a 5-year waitlist even after raising initiation to $125k.

Where are you thinking about joining? I love Olympia Fields. That’s probably my favorite Chicago course (better than Chicago Golf Club imo), though I haven’t played Shoreacres yet.

In other news, my game is in a bit of a funk right now. I’m swinging more upright (which I need to do), but the change has totally hosed with my timing. Going to play 9 Saturday, so we’ll see if I can dig something out.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

drat I’ve been debating a course near me with a 3k initiation fee that’s $300/month

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

:stare:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Watching Spieth struggle and in the corner seeing it go 4, 5, 6 up sure is a ride

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
lol now 7 up

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

7 up after 9. lol

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
11 hole shutout inbound

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

9 and 7 loooooooool

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/brentleygc/status/1708032370396237913?s=46&t=j6giGRzEKOwJCIl6OL7cEw

it’s a record lol

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

i am a moron posted:

drat I’ve been debating a course near me with a 3k initiation fee that’s $300/month

Ikr, I was debating joining one that cost me £30 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Drives me bonkers that Cantlay doesn’t wear a hat. Think it’s because the sun tries to kill us down in Australia.