Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Internet Janitor posted:

until it is possible (again) to completely delist quora and pinterest from search results i will not accept any claim that google "takes steps" to combat seo

google does not take steps to prevent seo, and in fact has a guide on it:

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/fundamentals/seo-starter-guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

(also as i mentioned earlier even if google did throw tons of resources at stopping seo, it's a fundamental issue with searching-under-capitalism and so long as companies have a vested interest in bubbling themselves up to the top of the search results they will find a way to game the system)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

people are pretty good at realizing when they're getting gamed so let the ad companies spend their money, i'm not gonna watch that poo poo any way

the way i see it, ad companies subsidize the very web we enjoy today, and i'd like to keep it that way for a while

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

people are pretty good at realizing when they're getting gamed so let the ad companies spend their money, i'm not gonna watch that poo poo any way

the way i see it, ad companies subsidize the very web we enjoy today, and i'd like to keep it that way for a while
You are going to watch that poo poo after google leverages its dominance of the browser market to cripple ad blockers and force everyone to accept the Web Environment Integrity api

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

You are going to watch that poo poo after google leverages its dominance of the browser market to cripple ad blockers and force everyone to accept the Web Environment Integrity api

no one in yospos will, but 99% of people indeed will

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
goog approval rate hasnt even dipped down below 60% yet in gen population

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Tech bubble adjacent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUm6no5MXYA

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

gently caress the riaa. i will never feel bad about pirating anything their members publish.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quiggy posted:

(also as i mentioned earlier even if google did throw tons of resources at stopping seo, it's a fundamental issue with searching-under-capitalism and so long as companies have a vested interest in bubbling themselves up to the top of the search results they will find a way to game the system)

what system wouldnt have people wanting to alter the search results?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ooh yeah that'd work I guess except for scaling/skewing (and scaling you could potentially brute force), but you can see how you could conceptually make it work for targeted cases.

I guess also each person you bust provides a new training set which yeah : whitewater:

there are a bunch of tricks like comparing color and brightness of adjacent pixels that can detect manipulated images without needing a person to look at them

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Eeyo posted:

it wasn't google that was successful, it was google plus

:hmmyes:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I dunno how much I doubt that Google promotes certain sites since it’s extremely difficult to search for anything without most of the results being mega media conglomerate blogs or a handful of storefronts.

I can imagine how it gravitated toward that naturally but if I were up to some brand destroying funny business like that I’d keep my manipulations within the realm of plausibility.

I have kagi set up to deprioritize 1st page hogs and also sometimes use marginalia and there is a lot of good poo poo getting missed. I keep trying to think of an easy way to make them into my 2nd and 3rd page of results or mush them together into like 20 results. It would be cool if there was a meta engine thay split your 10 organic hits between 3 algorithms where the last few are almost randomly chosen marginalia stuff.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it would be nice if the entire first 4-5 pages for any search weren't amazon, ebay, quora, and pinterest

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

there are other sites you can use for first page hogs

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

quiggy posted:

google* fixed email spam for the most part so things are possible

technically it took a lot of work and collaboration between industry players but i am mostly referring to the early days of gmail where spam rarely ended up in my inbox

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

probably because you'd changed your email address?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Captain Foo posted:

first page hogs

foo pls

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

4lokos basilisk posted:

technically it took a lot of work and collaboration between industry players but i am mostly referring to the early days of gmail where spam rarely ended up in my inbox

and yet they can’t successfully pattern match “yeti” or “dewalt”

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

4lokos basilisk posted:

I mean, it would make sense they would focus on this, like how they're focused on killing ad blockers now, spam competes directly with their core business, so making sure only their ads get through is a good thing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm telling ya

human-curated allowlist of domain names and custom elasticsearch ingestors for the various software stacks running on those domain names

who wants to give me series a funding

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Internet Old One posted:

It would be cool if there was a meta engine thay split your 10 organic hits between 3 algorithms where the last few are almost randomly chosen marginalia stuff.

bring back dogpile imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm telling ya

human-curated allowlist of domain names and custom elasticsearch ingestors for the various software stacks running on those domain names

interest rates are 5%, you only get funding for using fewer humans now

you could always say it's "ai" and then pay humans to do it like the bulk of these companies are currently doing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm telling ya

congrats you've invented webrings

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

you could always say it's "ai" and then pay humans to do it like the bulk of these companies are currently doing

:hmmyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
(we)brings up your rear end!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

congrats you've invented webrings

webrings were legit a better content discovery mechanism than modern platforms provide

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pre-search yahoo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

someone has the link to the "modern" gopher implementation? I don't remember what it was called but someone here posted about it a bunch once

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Fool posted:

someone has the link to the "modern" gopher implementation? I don't remember what it was called but someone here posted about it a bunch once

genesis iirc

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

The Fool posted:

Gemini protocol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The Fool posted:

rotor likes it, he posted it about it in the official gopher thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036104

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

quiggy posted:

webrings were legit a better content discovery mechanism than modern platforms provide

I am currently working on a more modernized implementation (browser plugin)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
*LATEST FAD

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
back in the day, stumbleupon served a similar purpose for discovery to modern news aggregators like hn and reddit, but almost infinitely better because you didn't have to read comments

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I am here for a return to webrings and using bookmarks. My favorite now (aside from the turbo dump that is Google search) is looking for items on Amazon and it's just a long parade of random companies with 4-5 letter random letters. Like GOGPL or LRTK.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quiggy posted:

content discovery is antithetical to capitalism, if you discover new content you start looking at that content instead of the current content and that doesn't make the existing content any money

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's basically stealing imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

content discovery is antithetical to capitalism, if you discover new content you start looking at that content instead of the current content and that doesn't make the existing content any money
I think capitalism wants you to always look at the new content actually

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

I think capitalism wants you to always look at the new content actually

capitalism would really prefer not to have to make any new content, that costs money. they especially don't want you to look at somebody else's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they do really want you to look at their terrible content, though, even when there's no way in hell you'd ever be interested in it