Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Mr. Nice! posted:

side talkin on the ngage.

and the guides online on how to “fix” that. my brother managed to ruin his ngage by not securing it before giving it a lick of the drill. it spun around and he panicked and went too deep probably. voice calls sounded tinny after that but he was convinced it was fine. He slapped two washers and a fine mesh over the hole and beat timb on the bump by about 14 years.

it was dead not long after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Todal can't do gapless playback on chromecast in 2023. Though I'll keep using that garbage.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

the sidetalking.com site is still up :3:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

jesus WEP posted:

every time someone posts “EA can be good” i think they’re talking about electronic arts and get fully tilted over it for a second

clearly they were talking about effective altruism, look how much good SBF was able to do with it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Silver Alicorn posted:

I had a gen 1 iPod nano and I ran rock box on it, so I could play my lossless gapless ogg vorbis rips

i had a gen 1 ipod that i ran rockbox on and it was too slow to decode vbr mp3s

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
skill issue

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

corona familiar posted:

the zune hd supported HD Radio which was kinda neat. I think it used the headphone cable as the FM antenna. iirc most? portable devices did it that way

yeah i had this conversation with a friend on another forum. johny290's probably gonna come in and dunk on me for something wrong in this cus i'm not really an "antenna guy" but my understanding is that fm frequencies are low enough that you can't really do a small enough antenna inside the modern compact space of a phone.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nope thats exactly right. Wavelength is about 3 meters on FM so you want a 1/4 wave antenna for that, which is about the length of a nominal headphone cable.

FM's important enough to me that i have a dedicated HDRadio receiver - the best ever made, Sony XDR-F1HD - depicted here atop my $1100 HT receiver.

I'm ok with hdradio, not because it sounds real good or w/e, but because it allows subcarriers, so you can have some cool talk or indie channels behind the main station

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Jonny 290 posted:

Nope thats exactly right. Wavelength is about 3 meters on FM so you want a 1/4 wave antenna for that, which is about the length of a nominal headphone cable.

FM's important enough to me that i have a dedicated HDRadio receiver - the best ever made, Sony XDR-F1HD - depicted here atop my $1100 HT receiver.

I'm ok with hdradio, not because it sounds real good or w/e, but because it allows subcarriers, so you can have some cool talk or indie channels behind the main station

how much is one of those? i'm thinking of making an old-school reciever stack for my bookcase and one would be neat.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

funy tech poo poo i just remembered: i used to have a tiny little am/fm radio that ran on a CR2032 sized button cell that had the world's worst unremovable earbuds

man i loved that thing until i smashed it into a billion pieces swinging it around like a lasso

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i also had a couple sony headphone radios which sounded way better but weren't as cool imo

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

the empeg car player

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Neito posted:

how much is one of those? i'm thinking of making an old-school reciever stack for my bookcase and one would be neat.

ebay price is a hundo but i found mine for fifteen at the thrift, with remote, in the original box. some dad's old stereo junk got saved and i use it to this day

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol remembered almost exactly a year ago :o:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Car Stereo Status: Did anyone else follow the EMPEG Mp3 Linux Head Unit at the turn of the millennium, thinking it was going to be The Year of Linux on the DesktopDashboard..? The very essence of a Slashdot-era tech development that died from lots of tech people but no marketers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car

It's fun to look stuff like this up and get back a bunch of 1999/2000 web pages that are still alive

https://www.anandtech.com/show/622/4

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Slim Devices

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

more like SUM DEVICES

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i like the urgency caps give that

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
when they get old and the lcd starts to fade they get called dim sum devices

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Jabor posted:

when they get old and the lcd starts to fade they get called dim sum devices

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it looks nice idk

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
more vfds in things please

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fankey posted:

this thing was awesome - 6GB of storage in 2000! wonder what happened to mine...

these had a mic input too, and back when taping shows was still a thing, I knew a guy who’d take one of these to shows to record bootlegs. security never bothered him because it looked so much like a cd player. he actually used to post on sa and is who got me to join the forums

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

rotor posted:

Slim Devices

I still have one of these, it was great. The server software was a huge pile of perl poo poo.

lol remember perl

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

other people posted:

lol remember perl

i've seen perl pave the way to payout even in the 2010s

poo poo, if you use a fruity phone, your assistant traces her lineage back to a 2010s search engine that used a goddamn graph database implemented in perl and innodb as their primary persistence store

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

other people posted:

I still have one of these, it was great. The server software was a huge pile of perl poo poo.

same. the server was fine, never had a problem with it.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Mr. Nice! posted:

that's kinda coming back. i keep seeing zoomers and such holding their phones flat in front of their faces and talking into them whilst on speakerphone. i don't get it, which must mean i'm Old

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

that's kinda coming back. i keep seeing zoomers and such holding their phones flat in front of their faces and talking into them whilst on speakerphone. i don't get it, which must mean i'm Old

this came up in another thread, it's because they're copying how reality tv shows and youtubers show people talking on the phone so the filming crew can get the audio as well

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Novell netware

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Nitr0 posted:

Novell netware

my old college was still using that until the early 2000s. the ancient 286 ps2 sitting next to the printer had the DOS version of the Novell print server software burnt into the screen so badly you could read it with the monitor off

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Ad that was a few pages back from the cool Chip Goblin I posted in the pics thread:

want to wall-mount that in my Blade Runner decor living room.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

njsykora posted:

this came up in another thread, it's because they're copying how reality tv shows and youtubers show people talking on the phone so the filming crew can get the audio as well

its called poptarting if anybody's curious

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

2/10 no ring

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

devmd01 posted:

2/10 no ring

look again on the right side hands :sickos:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

last year i saw a group of people smoking outside a club where one of them was on the phone and must have said something to really annoy the guy next to him because the second guy spun and open palm slammed the phone directly back into the first guy's mouth. i'm pretty sure he lost teeth and i didn't stick around to see what happened next.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Midjack posted:

last year i saw a group of people smoking outside a club where one of them was on the phone and must have said something to really annoy the guy next to him because the second guy spun and open palm slammed the phone directly back into the first guy's mouth. i'm pretty sure he lost teeth and i didn't stick around to see what happened next.

:pwn:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i absolutely hate it when people use speakerphone like that, especially on the goddamned subway

it happens far more often than you'd assume despite people in the same car barely being able to hear each other

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

gonna bring back the 00's chirp phone next

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hell yeah bring back that two-way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
<t-mobile jingle> AY WHERE YOU AT