Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

armpit_enjoyer posted:

that's kinda coming back. i keep seeing zoomers and such holding their phones flat in front of their faces and talking into them whilst on speakerphone. i don't get it, which must mean i'm Old

i've actually never seen anyone but old people do this

i though zoomers were the generation that considered voice calls psychological terrorism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

armpit_enjoyer posted:

that's kinda coming back. i keep seeing zoomers and such holding their phones flat in front of their faces and talking into them whilst on speakerphone. i don't get it, which must mean i'm Old

the best (worst) part is when it's a video call and their video is on

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonny 290 posted:

<t-mobile jingle> AY WHERE YOU AT

that was boost!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the nextel two-way poo poo was great cause they still had like a half-mile range even when you were off-network cause they were basically just walkie talkies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tamagotchi

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

echinopsis posted:

tamagotchi

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
digimon

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
cybiko

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

the nextel two-way poo poo was great cause they still had like a half-mile range even when you were off-network cause they were basically just walkie talkies

oh god, the only people i ever knew that used that were these two middle aged business doofuses that ran the very first (ultra-sketchy) startup i worked for. just walking around the office with their BLEERPS talking to eachother about bs

later one of them went to jail for fraud. now he's a ceo coach. what a country!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

have you ever tried to commit fraud? its not as easy as it sounds. of course they need a coach

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

and yet, i’m not sure the guy who got caught and went to prison is who you want to take lessons from

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i was joking but i thought about it for more than a second and it's true. hes also had that long to think about his mistake. he can teach them how to avoid getting caught too

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Nextel's were the poo poo. PTT is the future, you watch.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

digital monsters?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

echinopsis posted:

tamagotchi

these are apparently popular enough among the weirdo collector types that bandai still makes them, the current version is basically a kids smartwatch, i went to the site to check and got distracted by the completely emotionally dead look on this child model's face

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

well-read undead posted:

and yet, i’m not sure the guy who got caught and went to prison is who you want to take lessons from

Well, they can at least tell you what NOT to do??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

these are apparently popular enough among the weirdo collector types that bandai still makes them, the current version is basically a kids smartwatch, i went to the site to check and got distracted by the completely emotionally dead look on this child model's face

it’s like she just remembered her mums got cancer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

is it like that, echi?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

you’ve waited too long to feed your tamagotchi, its screen reads “ur mum has cancer”

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ad that was a few pages back from the cool Chip Goblin I posted in the pics thread:

want to wall-mount that in my Blade Runner decor living room.

I like these old ads where they have some dudes name to call, and he's the product manager, not even a sales guy.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Or are the sales guys all called "Product Manager"?

...like every tech startup where everyone is CEO, CFO, CTO, CIO, even though those four people are the entire company

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

well-read undead posted:

defraud me once, shame on you, defraud me twice and I'll pay you for lessons because you're clearly good at it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

100% you could sell this on LinkedIn as well

"An employee committed fraud at work, I could have fired him but I didn't, know why? because he showed initiative and that's valuable. this year I'm promoting him."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sweevo posted:

...like every tech startup where everyone is CEO, CFO, CTO, CIO, even though those four people are the entire company

I’ve always found it weird that every financial institution has a million vice presidents essentially because certain financial forms and stuff have to be signed by VP’s but the company also signs a million of them a day, so guess what? Everyone’s a VP!!!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’ve always found it weird that every financial institution has a million vice presidents essentially because certain financial forms and stuff have to be signed by VP’s but the company also signs a million of them a day, so guess what? Everyone’s a VP!!!!

it's also handy at branches when people come in angry and an employee can get 'the vice president of the bank' and it's just the branch manager. but oh! such service! 'the vp of [bank] will solve my problem?!'

Sweevo posted:

lol yeah. at the one I was at way back, I picked something like head of design or lead designer because it was technically true and believable, while my coworkers all fashioned c-suite titles for themselves on our card tables

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I like these old ads where they have some dudes name to call, and he's the product manager, not even a sales guy.

I always assumed these were how they handled ad attribution in the days before surveillance advertising and the dude never existed. They'd just say "oh Don is on another call right now but let me get you someone right away" and mark down that the lead came from whatever magazine they ran the Don ad in

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the naming scheme “windows phone 7 series”

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Wild EEPROM posted:

the naming scheme “windows phone 7 series”

tech companies only have a few words they can use to describe products

Series
Pro
Max
Book
Ultra
Mini
Ultimate

and only a few letters

X
S
R
G

unfortunately Microsoft never attended the lecture on proper ordering. everyone knows you put "series" before the number

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Remember when web browsers got background images and web pages started making embossed tiles out of all kinds of things?

Remember how it somehow blew your socks off? 1994 me would have never believed a visitor from the future if he told me tiled backgrounds are usually poo poo and the emboss filter was always poo poo.

Remember internet in baby? The imagemap of a kid that would take you to different popular websites and that somehow was a funny parody of internet in a box?

Remember when people discovered that gozilla or getitrite or some other download manager had telemetry and it was actually a big scandal?

Remember running xsnow?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Internet Old One posted:

Remember when web browsers got background images and web pages started making embossed tiles out of all kinds of things?

Literally had this page up on the laptop all last week while i rebuilt the carbs on the big bike

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carbremoval.html

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

corona familiar posted:

Series
Pro
Max
Book
Ultra
Mini
Ultimate

and only a few letters

X
S
R
G

unfortunately Microsoft never attended the lecture on proper ordering. everyone knows you put "series" before the number

this is why everyone was so shocked when apple invented the word 'Air'

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
when does microsoft's trademark on Ultimate end anyway?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

Literally had this page up on the laptop all last week while i rebuilt the carbs on the big bike

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carbremoval.html

daaamn 1600x1200 images? i'd have expected 640x480 at most from a site that looks like that

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

a lot of the miata.net guides are similar and the pictures are so small

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

this is why everyone was so shocked when apple invented the word 'Air'

lol

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Internet Old One posted:

Remember internet in baby? The imagemap of a kid that would take you to different popular websites and that somehow was a funny parody of internet in a box?

my mom bought internet in a box in like 1993 or whatever, that's how i first got on the internet. i still have the floppies in a box, along with netscape navigator 1.2 which we bought from a store

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

netscape gold

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the netscape good encryption edition

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

netscape munitions edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

corona familiar posted:

Series
Pro
Max
Book
Ultra
Mini
Ultimate

and only a few letters

X
S
R
G

you forgot a few though:

lite
select

and of course the letters
i
e (depreciated)