Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

honestly at least this is somewhat informative. if it was now it would just say, “we had a little whoopsie” or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

"Oops, we're trying to fix it ^-^"

your files are right where you left them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
active desktop lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

active desktop lol

active desktop was cool

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

desktop images is a funy tech poo poo

why would you have your screen turned on with all apps minimized enough that it makes a difference?

either the screen is off, or youre doing a thing in a window, or youre just being weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the milk drop dude had this desktop visualiser thing and god drat it was sick

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

taking a screenshot of the desktop and all its icons and then changing the desktop background to that screenshot and then removing all the real icons from the desktop
on your dad's computer or the one at work or the librarian's etc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Leperflesh posted:

taking a screenshot of the desktop and all its icons and then changing the desktop background to that screenshot and then removing all the real icons from the desktop

lmao yes

i did it with an open explorer window on a friend once and it took a surprisingly long time for him to figure it out

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Leperflesh posted:

you can’t sort by penis

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nitr0 posted:

you can’t sort by penis

*zips back up*

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

changing the startup sound so its a silent for like 20 minutes and then a scream or something

setting someone’s screensaver to a smiling swimming sperm was really easy with a few seconds in mspaint and the “flag” screensaver

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Manzoon posted:

Corel Gallery Magic, I still have the 8 CD binder and a dictionary sized book filled with thumbnails so you knew which CD to put in for your multitude of clipart projects. Definitely got this at a Sam's.

hell yeah. putting CDs in and importing so much clipart for my grade school flyers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

active desktop was cool

the new Mac OS Sonoma has full motion desktop backgrounds and the first thing I thought upon seeing it was “active desktop is back baby!”

also it introduced a thing where if you click anywhere on the desktop it minimizes all windows and shows you the desktop. I’ve done it by accident a few times and I’m not sure how I feel about it yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

i think there's third party apps you can use to set videos as wallpapers on windows too

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Neito posted:

i love going on tcrf and looking up old anti-piracy poo poo like this. my favorites are:

1) a bunch of nintendo fds games had disks that lied about how many files are on them to confuse the disc copy programs
2) games without save memory trying to write to sram and intentionally crashing/doing poo poo if it succeeds
3) the ps1 looked for a very specific out-of-spec wobble on the cds.

4am's big old twitter thread of cracking apple ii software to archive it is a fun read along those lines.

lots of fucky stuff going on when the software is allowed to run the floppy drive directly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

njsykora posted:

i think there's third party apps you can use to set videos as wallpapers on windows too

lol that reminded me of microsoft plus for windows vista

what was it they called the video backgrounds again? dreamscreen or something like that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also reminded me of microsoft plus! for windows 95 i got with a gateway 2000

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

also reminded me of microsoft plus! for windows 95 i got with a gateway 2000

jungle theme was s tier

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I methodically changed every single windows sound individually, and boyhowdy did I have those scifi door opening and closing sounds for minimize/maximize.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

jungle theme was s tier

the "inside your computer" screensaver was too

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
pipes or gently caress off

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kitfox88 posted:

Flying toasters or gtfo

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

early wolfenstein 3d ftw

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Kitfox88 posted:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

njsykora posted:

wallpaper engine is the one that comes to mind instantly.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

scrolling marquee that says “penis penis penis penis”

later to evolve into rotating 3d text

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

well-read undead posted:

scrolling marquee that says “penis penis penis penis”

later to evolve into rotating 3d text

get in, nerd, we're going time traveling

https://www.mixfont.com/screensaver

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SETI@home

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

get in, nerd, we're going time traveling

https://www.mixfont.com/screensaver

yeeesssss

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/kd5xT5f.mp4

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

screen burn

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Those fine mesh screens that you hung over your monochrome CRT that helped reduce glare or something.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Jabor posted:

4am's big old twitter thread of cracking apple ii software to archive it is a fun read along those lines.

lots of fucky stuff going on when the software is allowed to run the floppy drive directly

got a link to share with the class?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

armpit_enjoyer posted:

got a link to share with the class?

can't find it right now, but you can browse the archive directly for things that have notable writeups:
https://archive.org/details/apple_ii_library_4am?sort=-date&and%5B%5D=subject%3A%22bestof%22
(pick one then click the "text" download option for the writeup)

marvel at how many little educational products have absolutely bonkers copy protection

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

turn off your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'