Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Heads up: Rail Route is getting closer to the end of early access, and will have a 25% price increase on October 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

nielsm posted:

Heads up: Rail Route is getting closer to the end of early access, and will have a 25% price increase on October 11.

Thanks for the headsup. It's only a tenner on Humble right now with the Choice discount so I grabbed it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
30gb playtest signup.
I got in immediately, still downloading.
Sounds like a truck sim with survival elements?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/849100/Alaskan_Road_Truckers/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

OgNar posted:

30gb playtest signup.
I got in immediately, still downloading.
Sounds like a truck sim with survival elements?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/849100/Alaskan_Road_Truckers/

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up! I remember the demo of this being kind of mid, but that was awhile back and with my love of trucking and survival games, I'm interested in checking out the playtest to see where it is now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So far
It has you do things manually, like connecting each cable to trailer and cranking the trailer support.
Roads are icey, jackknifed at an intersection once already.
Got a $1500 ticket for rear ending a car.
You'll also randomly come across intersections with all cars stopped.
Would not allow me to change keys away from WASD at main menu.
Did let me change while in a new game, but randomly defaulted 'some' keys back while driving in first mission (all of a sudden I couldnt steer and drove off the road).
Kind of blurry no matter what graphic settings I choose.

Janky, but could be decent.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

OgNar posted:

So far
It has you do thing manually, like connecting each cable to trailer and cranking the trailer support.
Roads are ice, jackknifed at an intersection once already.
Got a $1500 ticket for rear ending a car.
You'll also come across intersections with all cars stopped.
Would not allow me to change keys away from WASD at main menu.
Did let me change while in a new game, but randomly defaulted 'some' keys back while driving in first mission (all of a sudden I couldnt steer and drove off the road).
Kind of blurry no matter what graphic settings I choose.

Janky, but could be decent.

Yeah, tutorial also bugged out on on me a couple times, car AI is questionable, etc. I left some feedback for the devs in the Steam forum. Hopefully they keep polishing it up because it seems like an interesting base here if they can improve on it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

On the bright side I found that someone had given me American Truck Sim as a spare Humble key years ago, which I didnt like then but am loving now.
Its been pretty enjoyable.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ATS on release and for a bit of time after was poo poo, then got good. Checks out.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Trans-Siberian Railway Simulator has a demo up now as part of Steam Next Fest

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that first trailer is fantastic lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OgNar posted:

On the bright side I found that someone had given me American Truck Sim as a spare Humble key years ago, which I didnt like then but am loving now.
Its been pretty enjoyable.

I love American Truck Sim. Get yourself some more radio stations and have a blast. I buy every state that comes out now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does ATS work on Ps4 with a wheel/pedals/shifter?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Future Video GamesUK posted:

I love American Truck Sim. Get yourself some more radio stations and have a blast. I buy every state that comes out now.

I'm considering buying more, Alaska and Texas mostly.
Next big sale I see it on though.

How is this mod? Does it just work around already released DLCs?
Coast to Coast Map
https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=202317&sid=0d12679e61d26f447758585c588e689c

e: This is a year old, but makes it look pretty good, think i'll give it a try
e2: ahh poo poo, requires all DLC of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JghQNTJ6KTM

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 10, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Genuinely don't know about wheels and the PS4, sorry. I haven't owned a playstation since the original.

Yeah any of the map mods will need all the DLC because of how they build them, in my experience. Don't worry though - each state is plenty big, you only need to buy the bits you're interested in. I'm in the middle of heading back west, I'm bored with Texas now, wanna drive up and down the West Coast some.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I think I prefer ETS2 over ATS because I use many of the roads modelled in ATS and it gets to me how off it all is. I don't have any experience with the M4, so it's less grating.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

duomo posted:

Trans-Siberian Railway Simulator has a demo up now as part of Steam Next Fest

Demo is quite short but it seems interesting. All the stuff it has you do in the cabin to get stuff up in running is cool and I hope it all translates to the main game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I thought that game sounded neat but then it leans into “you get a gun to shoot” and that combined with it having those… specific Playway vibes makes me highly suspicious of it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I think I prefer ETS2 over ATS because I use many of the roads modelled in ATS and it gets to me how off it all is. I don't have any experience with the M4, so it's less grating.

Opposite for me so :)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Also missed this post but funny enough same for me. I hadn’t driven much out west at all and when I finally did and went back to ATS I was like drat, it barely even hits the broad strokes at some points.

Admittedly some of those spots were very early in ATS which I’m not sure have been retouched and more current dlc areas do feel better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've driven enough of the highways in the newer DLCs to confirm it's still basically a US theme park with imaginary paths in between. That's not entirely not a bonus as it's so nonsensical sometimes it's easy to reframe it as not US simulator so I enjoy it as much as ETS. If that makes any sense.

They've had some news articles that they are literally touching US grass for once so I think they know and want to nail some more of the road vistas and feels in the future.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The thing that bugs me is spots like where 580/395 hits the spot where I580 officially ends and just becomes 395 south, a much smaller highway, outside of Carson City, Nevada. This is a very easy spot to do their style of map, it’s open, etc. and it’s also pretty like, I dunno. If you’re going to represent those highways, it’s weird not to hit that pretty close especially since they make the effort to show 395 wrapping around the city.

I’m sure this same problem is a thousand other places and I’m sure it’s hard to get a “vibe” for a road without driving it a bunch but in the game it’s totally off to the point it doesn’t feel like driving 395. (I won’t get started on 395 south out of Carson in game.)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

when you are having a bad day in your tank.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least they got to go to space.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Thief Simulator 2 came out recently, and it's definitely More Thief Sim. It's still kinda janky but has some neat improvements.

You get a drone to scout, mark people, and disable cameras. There are now dogs to deal with (you can buy $25 steaks to distract them for a bit). Marking someone and using the new Planning Mode lets you see where they'll be and when, by putting little icons in the world. Don't worry, the old tenant schedules are still there, with different colors for when they're inside the house, sleeping, outside the house, or off the property. Sometimes people will randomly change their schedules - I had a guy who was supposed to leave his house at 17:00 stay home and do exercises in his bedroom for an hour instead (and then he left). You can relock doors. Your character has a smartphone and you can buy some small items through it, but you still have to use the computer at your hideout for most stuff. You can also renovate your hideout and put (stolen) paintings on the walls. There are more side jobs. Saving is done through the menu instead of a payphone and you can save any time. Phones now give you timed jobs to steal a specific thing from a place. There are more types of buildings/locations (the first neighborhood has a construction site, a junkyard, a pawn shop that buys stolen goods, a small store with empty shelves, and also a bunch of houses).

So far, I'm enjoying it, but I'm not too far in, and everybody so far has had a schedule that gives me some time to get in and out. I just got a story mission to get myself arrested "doing something stupid," so I'm going to deposit all my money in my internet bank account (another new feature!) before I do.

Edit: forgot the most important new thing: your hideout has a cat who wanders around and meows. You can "interact" with it but there's no animation for petting so you just have to pretend that's what you're doing.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 14, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Stormworks build and rescue is 40% off.

I've had it on my wish list for a while. Some of the more recent reviews say it's broken due to a recent update (sounds like asobo lol)

Worthwhile?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

slidebite posted:

Stormworks build and rescue is 40% off.

I've had it on my wish list for a while. Some of the more recent reviews say it's broken due to a recent update (sounds like asobo lol)

Worthwhile?

Yeah ship creations are functionally useless now due to buoyancy changes that came alongside a patch to support their new Space DLC.

This games strength is in the water simulation, I have no idea why they want to do space since their core competency is not that and other games who actually can handle space do it far better.

I liked the game well enough to have a go with other people’s stuff, but even that is broken now. Hold out for the winter sale to see if they fix it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Will do, thanks for the advice.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I love stormworks, but I agree wait a bit for the devs to patch some of the issues introduced from the space dlc. It is definitely a make your own fun kind of game. It is also “scope creep” the game, and should be used as a case study in game dev.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Farmer's Life is exiting Early Access today with its 1.0 release.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256976229/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1697469318

I suspect a lot of people might overlook it because its published by Playway (publishers of all kinds of shovelware), but it has been in Early Access and active development for about three years now and I think it's actually quite good. It's a first-person farming/life sim that also has hunting, fishing, cooking, booze distilling, animal husbandry, building structures, and marriage. You start out having to till and raise crops by hand but can upgrade to a tractor with attachments like a three row till, a seeder, a manure spreader, and a digger.

There's a bunch of NPCs who have quests for you and a "main quest" storyline that involves getting your life back together. This game has one of the most depressing tutorials I've ever seen, by the way. It's 1955 and Kasimir (the player character) has come back from the war to find out that both of his parents died and he's inherited their farm. Depressed and lonely, alcoholism gets the better of him, and over the course of the tutorial you sell your tools for booze, have the animals run away after the barn catches on fire during a storm, and let the farm fall into disrepair. You take over at the start of the real game when Kasimir decides to get his life back together. You start with just a few chickens, your prize pig and best friend Fluffy, and a run-down farm.

Some tips:
Visit all the NPCs and ask them if you can help. This will get you quests. Quests are important for a few reasons: they are designed to show you aspects of the game (you'll get a quest to fish, to hunt, to grow certain crops, etc). They give you good early money, tools, and recipes. They also raise the attitude level of NPCs toward you. This is important because some of the NPCs won't sell you certain items unless they like you enough. After you finish a quest, go back to the NPC and ask "is there any reward" to finish it. You also can raise NPC attitudes by giving them gifts -- if you select "give a gift" from the talking menu it will tell you what they like.

You can fast travel from the map screen. Fast traveling takes into account whether you are riding an animal or vehicle, so you want to be riding something when fast traveling whenever possible. You can get a free bike at the bunker in the minefield north of the marketplace. Save before you go as the mines will blow you up if you step on one. You can avoid the mines (you can see them on the ground if you look carefully) or disarm them with a little minigame. Bring a crowbar if you have one to open the bunker as well.

You can make money for tools early on by selling junk to the junk/materials dealer in the marketplace.

Unfed chickens produce 1 egg per day. Fed chickens produce 4 eggs per day. This is the easiest source of early food, aside from what you start with in storage. You feed chickens by getting a feeding tray from the animal dealer at the marketplace (you may have to get his attitude meter up a little first) and putting fodder or oat grains in it. You can buy fodder from that same guy. You can cook boiled eggs at your stove with just eggs and water, and 2-3 eggs is enough to get Kasimir through the day.

Cows and goats only give milk when happy enough. Put them in a pen overnight (press "e" on them to lead them and then "f" on the pen to put the animal in, this is shown in a tooltip on the screen). Make sure they have food by putting grass, hay, or straw in a feeding rack. Then in the morning if you have a bucket in hand, you can milk them from the radial menu. Milk can be sold to the shopkeeper in town or made into butter for cooking.

The vendors in town will only buy a certain amount of each thing per day. If you have a big load of crops that is more than the marketplace vendors will buy, you may want to take them to the State Agricultural Farm on the east side of the map, which will buy in bulk. You also can sell animals there by leading them to the pen next to the animal vendor and selecting "sell my animals" on the left side of the trading UI.

The burners on the stove have plus and minus symbols that are easy to miss; these open or close the burners to make them hotter or colder. For the most part this doesn't matter, aside from opening the burners all the way to cook things faster. But some cooked items have variations depending on what level you cook them at -- fried meat, for example, becomes "perfect steak" if you cook it at full heat. These variations are a bit better and also may be needed for some quests or gifts. One quest I remember wants delicious broth, which is broth cooked at one of the middle settings, I forget which.

One of your early quests is to overcome Kasimir's alcoholism and you basically have to wait out his alcohol withdrawal, during which his carrying strength and movement speed are reduced and he will grumble incessantly about how much he wants some booze. This is annoying but won't last forever, it will eventually go away if you just make him quit cold turkey. I think you can also taper him off with softer stuff like beer and warming tea (made from tea, sugar, and vodka at stove, it's also good if you catch a cold), but I've always just waited it out. Like real alcoholism, it's never really beaten and if you drink too much he'll go back into this state, so be careful about it, although a few quests do require you to drink.

Food only spoils at the end of winter, the game does a little spoilage check then. It'll warn you a couple months in advance. Only uncooked food spoils. Things will say on their tooltip whether they spoil at the end of winter when the time gets close. You have a little external cellar next to the house and any crops put in there will not spoil, but it has limited space.

Firewood: chop down a tree with an axe and then cut the small branches off. After that, the big trunk will have glowing rings on it, cut those with the axe as well. Then there's two things you can do with the smaller logs. If you use a saw on them, you'll make planks for building. If you use the axe on them again, you'll get wood blocks in your inventory. With those in your inventory and an axe in hand, you can go to the chopping block on your farm and there's a little minigame to chop them into firewood. The sticks that drop on the ground when you chop down a tree also count as one firewood each, so they are worth picking up. You also can buy firewood at the sawmill, but it's easy enough to chop your own from the trees on the back end of your lot.

You can't cut down trees or farm everywhere, you have to own permissions for the land you are working. You start with permissions for your own farm land, but can buy more from the mayor in town.

Anyway, I've put about 60 hours into this game over the course of Early Access (a few restarts as things changed) and I like it, especially at the current release sale price of $15.99. If anyone tries it out and has questions, I can probably answer them, some things are still not entirely intuitive or explained.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Anyway, I've put about 60 hours into this game over the course of Early Access (a few restarts as things changed) and I like it, especially at the current release sale price of $15.99. If anyone tries it out and has questions, I can probably answer them, some things are still not entirely intuitive or explained.

I'm still skeptical but added it to my wishlist. I'll probably get it some day when I'm drunk enough.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

I'm still skeptical but added it to my wishlist. I'll probably get it some day when I'm drunk enough.

Given the story mentioned this is a really funny post

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Well, you gave enough of a review for me to pick it up, I'll try it this weekend!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Does Shadows of Doubt fit the "niche simulator" category? It's basically a proc-gen Deus-Ex-ish detective game where you solve crimes to get money and status. There's deduction, vent-crawling, lock-picking, hacking, and a few different types of jobs to take. It's still in Early Access, but I've been really enjoying putting pieces together to solve a crime (or commit one, usually by stealing something from a person on behalf of another person). There are also a bunch of status effects and they're all optional, so if you want to play without hunger or thirst, but still have cold and wet and everything else, you can. Cold is the worst status effect because shivering has a camera-shaking effect (also it'll eventually kill you but whatever).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Fifty Farts posted:

Does Shadows of Doubt fit the "niche simulator" category? It's basically a proc-gen Deus-Ex-ish detective game where you solve crimes to get money and status. There's deduction, vent-crawling, lock-picking, hacking, and a few different types of jobs to take. It's still in Early Access, but I've been really enjoying putting pieces together to solve a crime (or commit one, usually by stealing something from a person on behalf of another person). There are also a bunch of status effects and they're all optional, so if you want to play without hunger or thirst, but still have cold and wet and everything else, you can. Cold is the worst status effect because shivering has a camera-shaking effect (also it'll eventually kill you but whatever).

There is a (slow) thread for it if you like.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030805

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just noticed the Stormworks post mortem where they admit they didn't really test anything but new space content in the leadup to the expansion release. That would seem to explain a lot of their past problems :thunk:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think I've posted about this game before, but everyone should take a new look:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240/Obenseuer/

Open Sewer/Obenseuer is a sort-of-sequel/in the same game world as the puzzle game INFRA, which was neat. Obenseuer started as a weird game like 5 years ago where you are dumped into a weird ghetto for the homeless and specifically those infected with or otherwise exposed to a new fungal disease from special hallucinogenic mushrooms found under the city of Stalburg. You, seemingly by administrative error, are given an entire tenement block. This is a Big Deal because most people are homeless and basically living under stairs and sitting around fire barrels outside and they're going to want apartments.

But before you embark on your big bad slumlord journey, you need to survive. Food and drink are relatively easy to come by, as is enough money to support yourself - but its very easy to fall victim to addictions, which you will start with at the very minimum at least one of. Getting rid of them can be tough, and if (realistically, when) you become infected with the fungal disease, that becomes expensive and cumbersome to manage. Trying to solve these while managing your depression, working various jobs to try and earn money, and then scavenge up enough dosh and materials to upgrade an apartment to the barest of livability is not easy. It's expensive and arduous but you can eventually get tenants and then money slowly starts to come easier, while you can find time to invest in new and exciting ways to make money. (Farming, brewing/distilling, etc.) Then you can upgrade and decorate your own apartment!

The game is playable now in its 'new' state. The prototype game released in like, 2018, was quite a bit different in everything but general vibe. Since then they've basically remade the entire game from the ground up. Just today the dev has released a public beta of the new state of the game. I was in the playtesters over the last few months and let me say that the game is definitely still janky, but they are very responsive to bugs and squash things regularly from their github. If you're looking for a smooth experience, give it a month or two. Otherwise I definitely hope you can support the devs because the game has amazingly weird vibes and literally no one has heard about it.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I don't think I've seen anyone mention this before, but I just saw a game called 'The Enjenir'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K89TQ6OKvw

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1800940/The_Enjenir/

quote:

Put your engineering and problem solving skills to the test in this sandbox physics building game! Enjoy the freedom of completely gridless 3D sandbox building combined with hilarious ragdoll third person controls, offering a truly unique and hilarious "Enjeniring" experience!

It looks like a physics building game with no kind of grid snapping had a baby with Gangbeasts/QWOP. Can't buy it yet, but there's just a demo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I haven't tried it yet but Bus Simulator 2021 has a free weekend.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/976590/Bus_Simulator_21_Next_Stop/

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I played it briefly and I mean, it seems good, if you want to drive a bus. I was not newly inspired to want to drive a bus, so I cannot give it a better review. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

slidebite posted:

I really really wanted to enjoy this because I want more driving games that are not racing games but I just couldn’t get into the handling. It felt like the bus didn’t weigh anything though this might be because I’m used to playing ATS and Snowrunner.