Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MarcusSA posted:

Mirage was supposed to be DLC for Valhalla lmao

I didn't know this though lol, I did know its also kinda intended as their testing ground for that Assassin's Creed Infinity thing where every new AC game will just be DLC modules for this one framework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i had more fun watching china gamers trashing starfield for 8 years of todd's laziness than to bother with the day 0 :filez:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chinese gamers are ruthless

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I remember one of the Football Manager games getting hella review bombed because SI promised a Mandarin translation and it wasn't in at launch.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

GN have an interesting angle on the Epic Games layoffs that has incurred The Wrath of Steve through the unforgivable act of buying his childhood mall, being dicks around the city in relation to it, demolishing it and now just leaving a patch of wasteland in the middle of the city that they paid $95m for intending it to be their new offices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87yzyfOfnY

lmao at calling anything in Cary "iconic"

Cary is basically like if the genesis device from star trek made American Suburbia instead of a planet, and you set it off in a patch of semi-rural north carolina. Nothing there existed before about 30 years ago.

If Epic decide not to build a new HQ after all I'm sure they can sell it to someone who will build expensive townhouses or whatever in the space.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I think the most apt description I've heard for Cary is that it's an acronym for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Klyith posted:

lmao at calling anything in Cary "iconic"

Cary is basically like if the genesis device from star trek made American Suburbia instead of a planet, and you set it off in a patch of semi-rural north carolina. Nothing there existed before about 30 years ago.

If Epic decide not to build a new HQ after all I'm sure they can sell it to someone who will build expensive townhouses or whatever in the space.
Accurate

There is like a 4 square block area around "downtown" Cary that is legit, but the rest is distilled white flight suburbia

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Inept posted:

I think the most apt description I've heard for Cary is that it's an acronym for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

every person who has said this drops hard Rs at home, guarantee it

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

yankees are the good pops right

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Shipon posted:

I didn't know linus lived near Cary

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shipon posted:

lmao ok

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Shipon posted:

Look I grew up in Cary (and still live near it) and that acronym is true, and also not 100% a bad thing, and also it’s pretty ubiquitous here.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Haven't checked this thread in a few months, has anything happened with linus' channels ever since their big apology video? I unsubbed them all after the Madison tweets but I'm guessing video content production never actually slowed down from daily vidss

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Haven't checked this thread in a few months, has anything happened with linus' channels ever since their big apology video? I unsubbed them all after the Madison tweets but I'm guessing video content production never actually slowed down from daily vidss

no, unless you count gratuitous scenes of happy employees getting tossed into more videos

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just had a scandal

Posts video buying everything in a mom and pop shop

“Yeah that’ll get people to love us again”

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if nvidia and noctua aren’t planning on releasing new products any time soon, then ltt’s bad benchmarking probably can’t distinguish itself

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Romes128 posted:

Just had a scandal

Posts video buying everything in a mom and pop shop

“Yeah that’ll get people to love us again”

the fanbase doesn’t care and never left

and 90+% of the people that do care only do so from a dork “ethics in games journalism”standpoint

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

the fanbase doesn’t care and never left

Except for the nearly 8000 paid Floatplane subscribers

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

grack posted:

Except for the nearly 8000 paid Floatplane subscribers

If they haven't come back by now, I don't think they're going to.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The Floatplane subscriber court is starting to go back up again, but slowly.

Edit: I was wrong, it was going up earlier this month but it's going down again.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 17, 2023

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

What was the floatplane sub trajectory before the GN video?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Youtube also stopped recommending his videos to me. I kind of thought he'd stopped making them or something. It can't be good for him if the Youtube algorithm magic isn't helping him out.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
They're only putting out one video every 2-4 days now, so the algorithm has fewer videos to clog your feed with. Their overall view counts are down mildly but not too much.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

Youtube also stopped recommending his videos to me. I kind of thought he'd stopped making them or something. It can't be good for him if the Youtube algorithm magic isn't helping him out.

The algorithm suggested one of his to me yesterday, clicked on the DNR Channel button and moved on with my life. :D

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Steve McNexus is very snarky in the i7-14700K review today

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I thoroughly enjoyed that intro.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

What was the floatplane sub trajectory before the GN video?

They hit the high 30ks right before their Youtube channel got hacked and turned into a crypto scam stream, that got them a big boost of around 5k to the low 40ks where it was holding pretty steady until the drama.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr.Radar posted:

They hit the high 30ks right before their Youtube channel got hacked and turned into a crypto scam stream, that got them a big boost of around 5k to the low 40ks

lol, why? People felt sorry for them, or was it unrelated?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Rinkles posted:

lol, why? People felt sorry for them, or was it unrelated?

All the existing videos were on floatplane, which didn't get hacked. It was also expected that an explanation of what all happened would go up there first, which it did.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I cannot imagine a situation where I am so desperate for LTT videos that I'd start paying for them

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Mr.Radar posted:

The Floatplane subscriber court is starting to go back up again, but slowly.

Edit: I was wrong, it was going up earlier this month but it's going down again.

this is not really significantly down at all lol

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lady Dracula posted:

this is not really significantly down at all lol

That’s not accurate. They were at almost 40k mid August. People were tracking it on Reddit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks Ants posted:

I cannot imagine a situation where I am so desperate for LTT videos that I'd start paying for them

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Romes128 posted:

That’s not accurate. They were at almost 40k mid August. People were tracking it on Reddit.

the graph shows a steep decline when the numbers on the left aren’t dramatically different. I understand there were bigger drops mid August but this doesn’t seem that dramatic a difference to me

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lady Dracula posted:

the graph shows a steep decline when the numbers on the left aren’t dramatically different. I understand there were bigger drops mid August but this doesn’t seem that dramatic a difference to me

K

people were tracking it as the whole ltt scandal was happening. You can easily google they had close to 40k and lost around 5-6k.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
It was 42k subs when the shitshow started and they're down 8000 subscriptions to 34k, almost a whole quarter of their subscriber base. Those are $5 a pop ($10 if you have the turbonerd tier) so they've lost about $40,000 a month ($480k/year).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

i still don't know what floatplane even is

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It's a video host where you pay a subscription fee for access to a channel.

One of the channels is linus tech tips, with the same videos as youtube plus more, and floatplane itself is owned by linus.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

it's linus' bespoke hosting/community website: subscribers can watch his videos, podcasts, there's exclusive poo poo, and I think there's also a forum. A few years ago the idea was that they were going to actively court other big creators/channels and build like a sort of competitor/alternative to patreon/youtube/twitch/discord/nebula, but I think those plans have been largely abandoned for making it Linus' site, and mostly Linus-exclusive/centric, and adding features to that. I think they just got totally and immediately blown out of the water by all of the aforementioned sites rapidly developing and developing their various cultures and having exponentially more money and resources. Like nebula/curiosity stream sort of works (and is apparently profitable, so kudos to them) because they have the backing of Vimeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Like nebula/curiosity stream sort of works (and is apparently profitable, so kudos to them) because they have the backing of Vimeo.

Always wondered about that.