Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
project conversions are such a busywork idea, nobody gives a care about a commit after it has been brought into main; just copy the files out of the main branch into a new directory and `git init` imo

the people who sincerely believe commit messages have value can keep the old repo and never, ever look at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
oh drat, some dude named Jake committed "add the UI widget, closes #69420" when they wrote this bug. this changes everything and is critical information, thanks for spending your entire 20s copying this over DHH!!!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

how are you going to bisect with that attitude?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that's why your commit messages should be meaningful aka contain swearing

gently caress you I will not squash my commits you're gonna get the full stream of consciousness

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gently caress you I won't Commit What You Tell Me

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Rage Against the Upstream

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

hitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Corla Plankun posted:

project conversions are such a busywork idea, nobody gives a care about a commit after it has been brought into main; just copy the files out of the main branch into a new directory and `git init` imo

the people who sincerely believe commit messages have value can keep the old repo and never, ever look at it

You want it to recover code that someone has overwritten with an older version because the checkout system is trash.

Never seen commit messages be used much at all in VSS

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

I want to say source safe was the reason why one repo at my old job was like 1gb for like 2mb of code and it was because people had checked shitlords of msi builds (???) Into source safe and they'd been treated as blobs and just infinitely copied to every subsequent version when it was moved to SVN and nobody could see the ballooning size until I moved it to git and was like "what the gently caress"

“no one had a problem until we moved to git” isnt really the powerful argument against svn that it might seem at first

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like i JUST changed the title

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

rotor posted:

like i JUST changed the title

just force push a change to the commit, that's what mod powers are for

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I made sure to preserve the SVN history when importing projects to Git so that 1) I could stunt on my predecessor, who didn't know how to do this and 2) git blame my predecessor's code and then tell users, "yeah it's been like that for eleven years"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CPColin posted:

I made sure to preserve the SVN history when importing projects to Git so that 1) I could stunt on my predecessor, who didn't know how to do this and 2) git blame my predecessor's code and then tell users, "yeah it's been like that for eleven years"

Very good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

how are you going to bisect with that attitude?

gently caress bisects. I got biceps

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cut my diffs into pieces
this is my pull request

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Armitag3 posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Armitag3 posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

CPColin posted:

I did exactly the same thing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CPColin posted:

This is the way

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

dbt looks like such a good product. If they ever decided to target the use case that my current org operates in we'd be absolute toast, it's just a much better way of doing things.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

distortion park posted:

dbt looks like such a good product. If they ever decided to target the use case that my current org operates in we'd be absolute toast, it's just a much better way of doing things.

the concept is brilliant tbh. get people to pay you for letting you turn their sql into jinja2 templates

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CPColin posted:

Porting SVN to Git is a weird process, it could be better explained. I had to manually fix a few dozen changes and I have no idea if I just dropped tonnes of code. It was made worse because the SVN team used a separate folder for each version and I wanted to collapse into a single tree to check across all versions.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

The_Franz posted:

that was a pretty common compiler-agnostic idiom to silence pedantic unused parameter warnings for a long time. iirc, gcc/clang had an attribute for this, but msvc needed the x=x nonsense to shut it up. C++17 and C23 finally standardized [[maybe_unused]]

the normal way to do it is just a cast to void

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah, that's what actual windows headers do. other fun thing mingw decided to do is add extern to the FORCEINLINE macro which breaks static functions.

I no longer try to use mingw.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

all C programs should be cast into the void

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Plorkyeran posted:

c is close to the metal can you point me to the machine code for "cast to void"??? didn't think so

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

DELETE CASCADE posted:

all C programs should be cast into the void

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I've taken to instrument all asynchronous APIs with execution times, with the eventual goal of feeding into OpenTelemetry. Thus I have a breakdown of CPU processing time and all external interactions, whether that be DB, cache, queue, and special tasks such as image transcoding, video transcoding, checksum calculation, etc.

I feel that most people expect their framework of choice to do this all, but that is not something I have seen.

The benefits are obvious: it answers the question of wtf is the thing doing, and thus enables informed deployment scaling and targets development at highest reward areas. It enables comparison of different deployment platforms, alongside regression analysis of version changes, for both internal and external code.

The downsides are somewhat obvious too: it's a lot of additional data to constantly shuffle around and manage.

Weird things this week:

(1) There is barely any support for HDR in images, but a lot of effort for video. AVIF seems to be the main winner here, but none of Microsoft tools or even Firefox support it. There are a lot of hack solutions such as 16-bit PNGs, which Netflix uses, and the cesspit of JPEG2000, JPEG-XL, which I'll just ignore. Just to detect that a file is HDR is an overly burdensome amount of effort.

Example HDR files here: https://gregbenzphotography.com/hdr/

(2) Oodles of JS APIs support sending HTTP trailers server side, but almost nothing provides convenience functions for client side, i.e. sending content. The primary use case is with AWS S3 for calculating checksums as uploading then sending the checksum as a trailer. The upload needs to be a chunked encoded stream and the trailer manually added.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 20, 2023

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxmZPMg7vIs

Microsoft Japan and Ruby, Japan's software industry has a lot to answer for.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh man I'm looking forward to that full interview. Love me some Dave Cutler.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MrMoo posted:

(1) There is barely any support for HDR in images, but a lot of effort for video. AVIF seems to be the main winner here, but none of Microsoft tools or even Firefox support it. There are a lot of hack solutions such as 16-bit PNGs, which Netflix uses, and the cesspit of JPEG2000, JPEG-XL, which I'll just ignore. Just to detect that a file is HDR is an overly burdensome amount of effort.

Example HDR files here: https://gregbenzphotography.com/hdr/

just use EXRs :pervert:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrMoo posted:

I've taken to instrument all asynchronous APIs with execution times, with the eventual goal of feeding into OpenTelemetry. Thus I have a breakdown of CPU processing time and all external interactions, whether that be DB, cache, queue, and special tasks such as image transcoding, video transcoding, checksum calculation, etc.

I feel that most people expect their framework of choice to do this all, but that is not something I have seen.

The benefits are obvious: it answers the question of wtf is the thing doing, and thus enables informed deployment scaling and targets development at highest reward areas. It enables comparison of different deployment platforms, alongside regression analysis of version changes, for both internal and external code.

The downsides are somewhat obvious too: it's a lot of additional data to constantly shuffle around and manage.

Datadog makes this real easy if you can write them a nice big monthly check

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

distortion park posted:

Datadog makes this real easy if you can write them a nice big monthly check

and however big you think the check will be, it will be slightly bigger

but their poo poo really is very nice

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Found this commit title today:

quote:

Revert "Revert "Revert "[redacted], unfinished"""

a dozen changed files, a thousand added lines, five thousand deletions.

Okay then.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess tomorrow you can look forward to Revert "Revert "Revert "Revert "[redacted], unfinished"""?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

well-read undead posted:

and however big you think the check will be, it will be slightly bigger

but their poo poo really is very nice

a publicly-traded company had to restate their earnings because of an uncapped Datadog bill of tens of millions

we migrated to self-hosted grafana and Prometheus and so forth this year because they are such assholes about pricing and we could staff a team and pay the cloud costs for way less. they were pretty shocked when we told them apparently

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Antigravitas posted:

Found this commit title today:

a dozen changed files, a thousand added lines, five thousand deletions.

Okay then.

:yosnice:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Subjunctive posted:

a publicly-traded company had to restate their earnings because of an uncapped Datadog bill of tens of millions

we migrated to self-hosted grafana and Prometheus and so forth this year because they are such assholes about pricing and we could staff a team and pay the cloud costs for way less. they were pretty shocked when we told them apparently

if i had all the time in the world, and the people to do it, i would love to tell so many vendors to f off and bring more stuff in house. but the sheer scope of what we get from datadog is staggering, and would be super challenging to get parity with, and if we didn't all our developers would hate me

man you think dealing with datadog is bad, try okta. 30% rate hike because "inflationary adjustment" lol motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

well-read undead posted:

if i had all the time in the world, and the people to do it, i would love to tell so many vendors to f off and bring more stuff in house. but the sheer scope of what we get from datadog is staggering, and would be super challenging to get parity with, and if we didn't all our developers would hate me

man you think dealing with datadog is bad, try okta. 30% rate hike because "inflationary adjustment" lol motherfuckers

my cousin just told me a story from when he worked at a municipality

they had some database running on a million+ a year contract with 3-4 on prem consultants, some ancient terminal system. one of the consultants was this 75 yo greybeard and it didnt look like he actually did much, so they cozied up to him and got to know more about the system, then set up 5 accounts to log in, run lookups & scrape everything into their own systems over a couple weeks

when they dropped the vendor they were of course pissed and threatened fire & brimstone, but the contract was also old as poo poo and did not forbid it lol

* i think the figure was like 5 million dkk in the 90s, so maybe 1.5 mil usd today?