Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Lmao what. I never played IV and now I don't want to

Nah it’s hilarious. Basically it’s an optional button you can press for all your main characters and the only result is a single goofy cutscene. (Except for Keith David who politely refuses.) It has no effect on gameplay and you can choose it multiple times with each character or none and it never changes. It’s a gag.

It legitimately contains one of my favorite lines in the game: (to Asha) “I want rough sex and Kinzie scares the poo poo out of me.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
It's intentionally done as a parody of the (at the time fairly recent) BioWare romances in Mass Effect 2 and so on. I think the game also had straight up loyalty missions as well?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
IV is a parody of Mass Effect, so all the 'romances' are dunking on that franchise.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah it’s hilarious. Basically it’s an optional button you can press for all your main characters and the only result is a single goofy cutscene. (Except for Keith David who politely refuses.) It has no effect on gameplay and you can choose it multiple times with each character or none and it never changes. It’s a gag.

It legitimately contains one of my favorite lines in the game: (to Asha) “I want rough sex and Kinzie scares the poo poo out of me.”

The best one was with Benjamin King, where the PC gushes about how they're his biggest fan before asking for an autograph in his latest book.

The "sex" scenes were just poking fun at how every major game seemed to be shoehorning in romances at the time, especially Bioware games.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

iirc the best part is Keith David refuses multiple ways in a very classy fashion, saying he wouldn't want to ruin the dynamic

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The games 10 years old now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT0t5VBX3gc

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Saints Row 4 having Literally Keith David but also a simulation version of Julius Little, the Third Street Saints leader from the first game that you could unlock as a companion, voiced by Keith David, was pretty great.

But since this isn’t the PYF Little Things thread, SR4 letting you play the radio anywhere kinda exposes how thats usually not an option because it gets real repetitive if you never get interrupted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bawk posted:

Yeah that's pretty much all bugged out, I didn't romance anybody during my first playthrough but both Gale and Halsin thought we spent the night together romantically. For Gale, I got the stars/night sky cutscene where he's grappling with his mortality, but without actual romance, and next day in a separate conversation he talked to me like we hosed. Halsin did the same thing but it was maybe the second conversation I had with him that didn't involve Thaniel, so I never even got the prompt to try and gently caress him.

And then there's Wyll's version of flirting, where he came on very strong for a guy I talked to three times.

Wyll's basically the only one that didn't come on to me. Wyll and Karlach. Turns out being literally horny is a counter against being figuratively horny, apparently. This is right after the party at the camp in act 1, so it's so early that Halsin hasn't even had scenes and the game already bugged out to decide I hosed him.

One of them was Shadowheart's post-party scene (despite the game also thinking Halsin had his post-party scene), and that's an entirely seperate complaint; I didn't realize that was a romantic scene at the pitch and now it's just sort of weird and uncomfortable.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Well I beat Assassin's Creed: Origins and here are the things I hated about it:

First of all, the subtitle. Origins. For a game that's, I guess, about the Origins of the Assassins, that plot doesn't even come up until about 3/4ths through the game, and then by the time the Assassins are formed, it's just this derpy husband-and-wife business about overthrowing despots or keeping them in check or -- or something, it's really unclear what their purpose is. It has almost nothing to do with the game. It's like if Planet of the Apes had a subtitle that was called The Mysterious Location of the Statue of Liberty. The "origins" are crammed in at the last second in a game that I thought was about the origins.

The combat sucked. I think most people agree.

Experiencing gating sucked.

Caesar, one of the most famously assassinated people in all of history, is assassinated in this game but he's not even one of the main bad guys really and it's treated as such a side-event that you play barely any part in.

The game begins with a cutscene of Bayek assassinating a person, but you don't know why. And the game frontloads you with so many sidequests, you might be ten hours in before you even know you have a wife and kid and it's like another five hours before you find out you don't have a kid.

There's a part toward the end of the game where Bayek and the gang become enemies of Caesar, but it's really unclear how or why. Bayek wants to kill Flavius, but Caesar says don't do it because that guy's a Roman and we'll deal with it the Roman ways. Then for some reason they beat Bayek up, and then he's an enemy, but at the same time free to go? It feels like a cutscene was missing that connected these two things.

Why do I need seven different types of weapons? Just give me my sword and my (useless) shield and a hidden blade. None of these feel fun to use.

The skill tree was too expensive to buy skills from and the skills too useless, or were just skills that let you earn experience slightly faster. Give me a fuckin break. Why is there no "kill two bad guys at once" thing anymore?

Punching someone in the throat and them wallowing on the ground is not an "assassination." Man before you get the hidden blade, you make an entire camp look like a nightmare day care situation, everyone just whining and holding their stomach and rolling around on the dirt.

What did any of the meta stuff have to do with anything? I mean, there's like this entire secondary story happening in Modern Times but you're never required to interact with it. I guess you can read the ridiculous amounts of emails and documents if you want to get caught up, but otherwise it's optional but for a few parts that don't make any fuckin sense if you're not willing to engage with all the optional stuff. Who is this person? Who is this other person? Who is this assassin? Who are these killers? Well, the game says I don't need to care about it, so back into the animus I go.

This game was fun as far as gameplay goes but the plot pacing sucked and the story beats were awkward and the motivations were just fuckin at times random and necessary just to move the plot forward. It's like they weren't even told this was called "Origins" until the entire game had already been written and they needed to add a few cutscenes justifying the subtitle.

Oh yeah! And though it's never really addressed, BAYEK is the one who kills his own kid! I mean, yeah he's lunging for another guy, but it's his dumb fault the kid got stabbed. I understand that really it's still all the bad guys' fault and they probably would have stabbed the kid anyway, but they weren't the ones to do it. I just kept waiting for Bayek to have, I don't know, a moment of... like, the dude shoved a knife into his own kid's heart. Surely he must feel some responsibility? I would.

The Assassins and their 2000 years-long secret order would never have even come about if 50 BCE Egypt had couples therapy.

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Oct 21, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The working title was 'Osiris', which would have been a hell of lot more appropriate.

Breezing through the remaster AC3. It hilarious how lopsided the game is. You've got a crafting system you can't use for 90% of the game. A fast-travel system where unlocking more travel points eats up more time than you'd ever save. After the 20 mission prologue you're free to engage with no end of hastily-made fetch-quests.

The thing is the game hides all its high-production content either off to the side or towards the end. The entire naval campaign is completely optional, the Assassin Tomb sequences are gated by collectibles, and the homestead actually gives Connor a personality. There are 50 missions with visible effort put into them and theyre not on the main quest.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Can you kill the founding fathers in that game tho

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yes but ben franklin cheats death via an elaborate scheme involving cloning and a headless horseman

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Can you kill the founding fathers in that game tho

No, you spend most of the plot hunting down Charles Lee for burning your village in the beginning. At the end you realize it was actually Washington who did it and you cannot confront him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Gaius Marius posted:

No, you spend most of the plot hunting down Charles Lee for burning your village in the beginning. At the end you realize it was actually Washington who did it and you cannot confront him.

wtf

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Breezing through the remaster AC3. It hilarious how lopsided the game is.... A fast-travel system where unlocking more travel points eats up more time than you'd ever save.

I had somehow managed to purge that successfully from my mind, holy poo poo. That fast travel system was rear endassin.

Least favorite fast travel system in games?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
AC3 is a game with good ideas, executed poorly. It's cool that your little guys are actual characters now, but there's no need to use them. The homestead missions give Connor a personality, as you said, but there's no ingame reason to do them, because they only unlock more crafting options. I like having to find fast travel points, but make it like in later games where you can fast travel to towers, or in the Ezio games where you have to renovate them. The tree free running and hunting is a huge system, but it doesn't work super well because they went for realism rather than fun.

The good things about it have been superceded by later games, too. Do you want fun Assassin adventures in Colonial America? Play AC Rogue! Do you want to track an animal across the frontier? Play Red Dead Redemption 2.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The pacing in AC3 was mystifyingly bizarre.

You start off with a simple tutorial assassination mission where it tells you what to do, it builds up to more freeform but small-scale missions, but bait and switch that was a prologue with a different character. Now you're controlling someone else and you get another tutorial with missions like "assassinate three rabbits"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also Charles Lee is like a completely different person. He's completely collected when talking to Haytham, but then when playing as Connor he just goes full mask off and slaveringly cartoonishly racist. Like, he's not even pretending anymore. I did like the bit at the end where after a massive breakneck chase across the entire game world that's implied to go on for an extended period of time, Connor catches up with Charles in a pub and they both just sit down because they have both been at the chase for days on end and they are both worn out. They share a drink quietly, knowing exactly how the evening will end. Charles doesn't have the energy left to even be mildy racist at Connor, and Connor is too tired to be mad at him right now. At this point both know that Charles' death is an inevitability and are just letting it play out

Also two of the assassination targets are locked behind the totally optional naval stuff, so I beat the game and when Connor took down his revenge wall I was just like "Who the gently caress are THESE people? I never killed them?!" because I didn't do the ship missions.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Oct 21, 2023

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i really liked AC3 jank and all. it is also the only assassins creed game i have ever played lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sally posted:

i really liked AC3 jank and all. it is also the only assassins creed game i have ever played lol

Me too, although I played them all up to that point.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Super Mario Bros Wonder: Dash on Y, jump on B. There are levels where you must hold down both, at the same time, and jump at precise fractions of a second, or else you will die. You can remap the controls in the games settings themselves, which just remaps them to B/A. It's been three decades Nintendo, let me put dash on my goddamned left hand

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Charles Lee is like a completely different person. He's completely collected when talking to Haytham, but then when playing as Connor he just goes full mask off and slaveringly cartoonishly racist. Like, he's not even pretending anymore. I did like the bit at the end where after a massive breakneck chase across the entire game world that's implied to go on for an extended period of time, Connor catches up with Charles in a pub and they both just sit down because they have both been at the chase for days on end and they are both worn out. They share a drink quietly, knowing exactly how the evening will end. Charles doesn't have the energy left to even be mildy racist at Connor, and Connor is too tired to be mad at him right now. At this point both know that Charles' death is an inevitability and are just letting it play out

Also two of the assassination targets are locked behind the totally optional naval stuff, so I beat the game and when Connor took down his revenge wall I was just like "Who the gently caress are THESE people? I never killed them?!" because I didn't do the ship missions.

The ending mission of 3 is so poo poo.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Tales Of Maj'Eyal

I wanna say I love roguelikes but my run was just destroyed because an enemy spawned with the ability to randomly teleport me across the level, which meant I was launched several times into the middle of like ten snow giants who can kill me with ranged burst damage in like three turns unless I control the encounter perfectly.
All this at a stage of the game where I have zero chance of counteracting any of this.
Which means that RNG can just utterly destroy my multi-hour run that is still just barely starting despite the time I invested.

Like, the snow giants wouldn't be a huge problem if I could fight them a few at a time, because their high-damage stone toss and lightning bolt abilities have cooldowns, but if I'm suddenly taking all of those in the face in one turn because a ghost disliked my X-Y-coordinates, that's a different story.

Long story short: I guess I just like roguelites, like a baby.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The working title was 'Osiris', which would have been a hell of lot more appropriate.

Breezing through the remaster AC3. It hilarious how lopsided the game is. You've got a crafting system you can't use for 90% of the game. A fast-travel system where unlocking more travel points eats up more time than you'd ever save. After the 20 mission prologue you're free to engage with no end of hastily-made fetch-quests.

The thing is the game hides all its high-production content either off to the side or towards the end. The entire naval campaign is completely optional, the Assassin Tomb sequences are gated by collectibles, and the homestead actually gives Connor a personality. There are 50 missions with visible effort put into them and theyre not on the main quest.

People went in with bad expectations because they thought AC3 was going to be an AC game and not the prequel to Jordan Peele's Us.

Suleman posted:

Tales Of Maj'Eyal

I wanna say I love roguelikes but my run was just destroyed because an enemy spawned with the ability to randomly teleport me across the level, which meant I was launched several times into the middle of like ten snow giants who can kill me with ranged burst damage in like three turns unless I control the encounter perfectly.
All this at a stage of the game where I have zero chance of counteracting any of this.
Which means that RNG can just utterly destroy my multi-hour run that is still just barely starting despite the time I invested.

Like, the snow giants wouldn't be a huge problem if I could fight them a few at a time, because their high-damage stone toss and lightning bolt abilities have cooldowns, but if I'm suddenly taking all of those in the face in one turn because a ghost disliked my X-Y-coordinates, that's a different story.

Long story short: I guess I just like roguelites, like a baby.

I strongly recommend playing TOME4 on the "adventurer" permadeath setting rather than roguelike when learning the game/forever. You have a limited amount of lives so it still keeps that roguelike tension, but it's a lot easier to stomach the gotcha moments. It's the default setting for a reason! (or was like 14 years ago, anyway)

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Oct 21, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There needs to be a tally for which historical figures Assassins' Creed has done right and done dirty.

Richard the Lionheart: Has a proper french accent and not a pawn to either faction.
Julius Caesar: Obviously, not an incompetent boob who got shanked in an offhand manner.
Charles Lee: Had a Mohawk wife and two sons in real-life.
Charles Darwin: Probably never teamed up with an assassin to stop a gang of drug dealers.
Napoleon Bonaparte: Runs rings around Arno, because Arno is an idiot.
Blackbeard: A sympathetic portrayal, as he rarely killed anyone and relied more on a fearsome reputation.
Leonardo Da Vinci Really was the man who embodied the Renaissance.
Socrates: Annoying contrarian rear end in a top hat, so probably accurate.
Machiavelli: Utter dullard who acts as a tutorial guy. Lacks wit.
Jean-Paul Marat: Clearly not important enough to appear in a game about the French Revolution. His death is relegated to a sidequest.
Pope Alexander VI: His sheltering of the jews is omitted. People hated him because he was spanish. Would trust him more than any pope in my lifetime.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:41 on Oct 21, 2023

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Always a bit annoying with the Playstation 5: Installing games off a disc is way slower than just downloading them.
Kinda obnoxious that it can't install from disc + download stuff at the same time.

PS5 uses like 70 min to install a 80GB game, but my internet connection could easily pull 330GB+ an hour.
I guess I've just gotten too used to most pc games installing in like 10-20 min tops.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bawk posted:

Super Mario Bros Wonder: Dash on Y, jump on B. There are levels where you must hold down both, at the same time, and jump at precise fractions of a second, or else you will die. You can remap the controls in the games settings themselves, which just remaps them to B/A. It's been three decades Nintendo, let me put dash on my goddamned left hand

That's how 2D Mario's always been, and that's how it's always gonna be! Gol dern kids these days, always wanting more buttons and whatnot :arghfist::corsair:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Lmao what. I never played IV and now I don't want to

It's a self-aware gag explicitly making fun of these "everyone scrabbling over each other to hop on the main character's dick" scenarios

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjedtuiVbpc

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was probably 30% of the way through Lords of the Fallen when I made that "everywhere you go is a shithole" post. Now that I'm something like 90% through I can say that yeah, pretty much. There's this one monastary area where shitholification is only like 50% rather than the 80%-100% of everywhere else, and it's a breath of fresh air even though the problem is still evident. You can tell they were going for a sort of inquisition gothic aesthetic, but instead they ended up landing on a smashed up pile of rocks and timber aesthetic. If you like looking at vast expanses of rickety smashed up shacks and scaffolding, this is the game for you. It's a shame because I like the game, but I wish it weren't so bad to look at.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Forspoken does the shithole thing in a fun way as the areas are hosed in different ways, so the garden has a bunch of floating rocks because gravity is not working right at the first area the rock cliffs have gone weird.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's your first idea for environmental design when you make a Soulslike. "The mechanics are oppressive, so the world must be similarly oppressive and run down". It's very uninspired.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Philippe posted:

That's your first idea for environmental design when you make a Soulslike. "The mechanics are oppressive, so the world must be similarly oppressive and run down". It's very uninspired.

Forspoken's whole thing is less oppressive and more "broken" - even the weather and minerals have forgotten what they are supposed to be doing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The quote from (I think) Miyazaki about how these grotesque things should still manage to have an air of dignity to them seems relevant here, and probably why people trying to copy that oppressive ambiance so often fail

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Apocalyptic environmental design has to start with things being beautiful or otherwise visually interesting, then falling into ruin. From does this well, but I think Neir: Automata is the best example.

A lot of B list games start at "ruined" seemingly without considering what things were like prior to that. The Surge is a great example of that outside of the much better DLC locations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

Apocalyptic environmental design has to start with things being beautiful or otherwise visually interesting, then falling into ruin. From does this well, but I think Neir: Automata is the best example.

I think that's one of the reasons Fallout has the weight it has even with so many other post-apocalyptic games out there - leaning hard into that Art Deco+Atomic Age aesthetic as its starting point makes its wasteland just shine in comparison.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hate when you find a cute puzzle game for the phone but it has a million ads, it's so annoying. Some games are relatively unobstrusive, but sometimes the game itself is kind of fun but the ads get annoying quickly.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Tunicate posted:

Yes but ben franklin cheats death via an elaborate scheme involving cloning and a headless horseman

I understand that reference. I'd link to the comic but it's been down for a couple of months now.

On the topic of AC3; I want to replay that game just to count how many times Connor says his catch-phrase "What would you have me do?"

Seriously, I grew to like his character because of the very optional homestead stuff, but if you just focused on the main story all I remember from him is "What would you have me do" and "Where is Charles Lee :argh: "

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The comically bleak art design of Lords of the Fallen ends up hurting its big gimmick, too. The Umbral world of the dead full of desolation and skeletons loses a lot of impact when you transition back to the living world...full of desolation and skeletons. I like that they went big with it, but going big in the same way in every zone makes it all run together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think AC3 is the one that most felt like it was just made of parts that different teams worked on.