Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have a question about drafts. How long are they saved and under what circumstances are they kept, and deleted? I've often saved a draft of a post I've been working on only for it to disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Perhaps the app is trying to tell me to stop posting?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It seems to hold a draft until you change the page

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I assume a draft is just the same as swiping the text input dialogue down. just a way to add more quotes or whatever. as soon as you exit the thread it’s gone right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Perhaps the app is trying to tell me to stop posting?

:justpost:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

echinopsis posted:

I assume a draft is just the same as swiping the text input dialogue down. just a way to add more quotes or whatever. as soon as you exit the thread it’s gone right?

Until you navigate to another thread, I think. If you go back to bookmarks and then drag the edge to go back to the previous thread, the draft is still there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The downside of overwriting what's already on the clipboard when trying to quote a post in a closed thread is that it can happen accidentally, like if you have something copied from somewhere that you're posting in several threads and one of them happens to be closed or gets closed while you're posting you lose what you have on the clipboard. Otherwise it's a good idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that’s why I want to change the menu item label so that people know it’ll affect their clipboard.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

or you could hit quote and it could pop up a thing like "thread is closed, copy to clipboard? yes/no"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

big deal posted:

or you could hit quote and it could pop up a thing like "thread is closed, copy to clipboard? yes/no"

This would be the best way the do it, I think.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

dont remember this being the case before but i'm seeing some thread icons missing:

At least a couple of them are fairly new but i thought that pizza tower one was pretty old. at least as old as that co-op one. but i dont know.

unrelated, when i was trying to post this post i previewed and went back and then somehow preview was grayed out, and stayed that way even when i accidentally dismissed the compose thingy and brought it back and the post was thankfully still there. I cut and canceled and confirmed and replied and pasted and then typed this. thanks

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

big deal posted:

At least a couple of them are fairly new but i thought that pizza tower one was pretty old. at least as old as that co-op one. but i dont know.

Pretty sure Apple made Pokeyman remove that one (and several others) during app review many years ago.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’d be done to make censored versions, more so if people could think of really dumb ways to censor them.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

so, because theres a hand created square version of every thread tag that lives in the app bundle instead of on the server, those images are all subject to contextless review? odd that it got to this point at all.

I suppose at this point it would be way too much to ask if jeff or astral could host these versions on the server, maybe even with similar urls as the original tags.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have no personal experience with app review, but I don’t think that changing where the images are hosted would make a difference. Apple has previously flagged the app for some of the SA smilies, which are hosted on SA’s servers. I believe the phrase “emojis having sex” was in the rejection.

Honestly, I’ve always felt that it’s kind of a miracle the app has stayed in the App Store all this time. There’s a lot of crap on this site that Apple could find objectionable which the app developers have no control over.

Plus, the app already technically pulls the thread tags from a server, just not SA’s server. It’s how new thread tags get pushed out without an app update (something that admittedly doesn’t happen very often).

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Diabolik900 posted:

I have no personal experience with app review, but I don’t think that changing where the images are hosted would make a difference. Apple has previously flagged the app for some of the SA smilies, which are hosted on SA’s servers. I believe the phrase “emojis having sex” was in the rejection.

Honestly, I’ve always felt that it’s kind of a miracle the app has stayed in the App Store all this time. There’s a lot of crap on this site that Apple could find objectionable which the app developers have no control over.

app review is a crapshoot i hear but "the app downloaded an image that said gently caress" is an outlier and you cant possibly work around it. and that emoticon is still there.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Am I the only one who’s phone is running pretty hot these days browsing just the SA app? I started noticing a couple of days ago. Closed everything else on my phone. As I type this there’s nothing running in the background, just reading a thread in SA (that doesn’t seem to have anything that could cause a lot of work for the phone, like embedded videos) and the phone feels pretty warm and battery went from 50 to 20 in half an hour. Maybe something wrong with my phone.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

if you go to the battery settings it'll show you usage by app, does it appear there?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

I would say so, yes.

I think this all started when I upgraded to 16.7.2 last week. Maybe a coincidence, I don’t know.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

hmm. try changing to the green smiley guy instead of the ghost icon.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’ve been using the frog and I haven’t had battery issues, maybe try that too

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

big deal posted:

hmm. try changing to the green smiley guy instead of the ghost icon.

I’m an old man and I can’t tell if you guys are joking. The ghost is eating the battery?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I find that the dark blue five-bar icon has the best balance of battery life, transfer rate, posting strength.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 29, 2023

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'm joking. i hope.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
In all seriousness, same, joking

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The app stopped working for me. I can’t view any forums and my settings screen displays the probated user’s avatar. I’m posting from a browser right now and it seems to be working fine. I guess the app decided it didn’t like me and put me on probation from using it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Which icon are you using lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The app stopped working for me. I can’t view any forums and my settings screen displays the probated user’s avatar. I’m posting from a browser right now and it seems to be working fine. I guess the app decided it didn’t like me and put me on probation from using it.

Are you using the beta or store version? Does logging out and back in help?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Are you using the beta or store version? Does logging out and back in help?

App Store version. I deleted and redownloaded & reinstalled, tried logging in on the new install and it just failed and kicked me back to the prompt.

Just tried again after a few hours and it’s working normally again.

I’ll also note that before all threads disappeared in every forum, it was only displaying certain threads. It seemed like a only subset of threads with certain icons were being displayed, but it changed depending on the subforum I looked at.

Just glad it’s working now!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kinda odd - I made this post

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The fish response to loud noises range from nothing to death.

Decided I wanted to add to it, and on submitting the edited version the app crashed. I've had app crashes before, but a force close and restart fixes posting crashes, but editing this post seems to crash the app every time. I tried another recent post to edit, and that edited just fine, no crash - tried this one again, crash.

Might be its the last post in the thread is the only difference I can think of?

Latest Awful app
iOS 16.7.2 on iPad

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 2, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beta or store?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

From the AppStore, auto updated.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

mrfart posted:

Am I the only one who’s phone is running pretty hot these days browsing just the SA app? I started noticing a couple of days ago. Closed everything else on my phone. As I type this there’s nothing running in the background, just reading a thread in SA (that doesn’t seem to have anything that could cause a lot of work for the phone, like embedded videos) and the phone feels pretty warm and battery went from 50 to 20 in half an hour. Maybe something wrong with my phone.

I’m having this issue too ever since I installed 17.1. I assumed it was the new OS causing the battery drain.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mrfart posted:

Same here. Page loading also stutters or gives a temporary blank screen when scrolling when there are more than a handful of embeds within the page

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hey, if there is stuff that would be helpful to be added to the OP you can PM me or report a post with the necessary information. It looks like on the last page suggestions were made but I'm not familiar with the iOS app and would like a description of anything I'm going to link.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Weird bug: the app is glitching and failing to load the last page of this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739&perpage=40&pagenumber=288

It worked earlier but then I went back to check a link to a knife sharpener someone posted and found it wasn’t working right (couldn’t open the link, nothing happened) and then when I refreshed the page it didn’t load the thread at all. If I go back to the subforum I can open the thread to the first page just fine, then navigate to the second to last page. But if I open the last page it loads 2 1/2 posts and then stops loading and I have to exit out of the thread (can’t navigate to another page, like it’s stuck loading the page)

Really weird bug lol, clearing the cache + resetting last read in that thread did nothing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hey, if there is stuff that would be helpful to be added to the OP you can PM me or report a post with the necessary information. It looks like on the last page suggestions were made but I'm not familiar with the iOS app and would like a description of anything I'm going to link.

Might be a good idea to just make a new thread after you collect that information since the op of this one will be away for a while.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Midjack posted:

Might be a good idea to just make a new thread after you collect that information since the op of this one will be away for a while.

I could do that, or if someone who is more familiar with the subject matter wants to then that would probably be better. If people want to help me crowdsource an OP for a new thread I'd be happy to create it, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slanderer posted:

Weird bug: the app is glitching and failing to load the last page of this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739&perpage=40&pagenumber=288

It worked earlier but then I went back to check a link to a knife sharpener someone posted and found it wasn’t working right (couldn’t open the link, nothing happened) and then when I refreshed the page it didn’t load the thread at all. If I go back to the subforum I can open the thread to the first page just fine, then navigate to the second to last page. But if I open the last page it loads 2 1/2 posts and then stops loading and I have to exit out of the thread (can’t navigate to another page, like it’s stuck loading the page)

Really weird bug lol, clearing the cache + resetting last read in that thread did nothing

That last page (288) only shows one post for me, is that what you mean? I’ve seen the webview stop painting the rest of its inner view sometimes, but I don’t think there’s a lot we can do about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’m having this issue too ever since I installed 17.1. I assumed it was the new OS causing the battery drain.

It went away for me after a couple of days. No idea what happened. I still have 16.7.2, apparently, and now I don’t feel like updating to 17.