Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logflat Badness
Sep 17, 2020
current bullshit:
1) breaking open a Casio MT-100 to bend (turning all the potentiometers to one direction for a laugh) (it sounds bad)
2) figuring out how to get the nixos box to spit out a static haskell executable (this one worked) (this is not how im supposed to be building a website)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the hosaka mkII cyberdeck is complete, for better or worse

missing the shoulder strap in the pictures, i'm still trying to find one that suits it

switched from vanilla debian to dragon OS for all the built-in sdr tools. played around with kismet, ads-b tracker, sdr++, and imsi catcher and everything works as expected.

i was planning on building a more "cyberdeck" chassis, but the xps base was just too convenient and i was out of time, so it's pretty plain and the wiring is janky, but i think it still works.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that's some good poo poo op

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Silver Alicorn posted:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Silver Alicorn posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
thanks. there's a number of things i'd like to have done differently, but i guess that's what mark III is for. i'm mostly just pleased to have it finished and functional.

it's not obvious from the pictures, but the xps is actually frankensteind out of two different laptops a few generations apart because neither one had all the parts needed. also, i had to destroy a perfectly good screen because the xps cannot boot without the built-in display attached, for whatever reason. if i had another week, i probably would have ripped apart the efi to see if i could change that, but as it is i just hacked the display off the controller board to make a dummy plug and fit it inside.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 27, 2023

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

as long as it’s enough to jack in, you’re going in the right direction

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WAIT

jack *in*???

i've been doing cyberpunk all wrong, i think

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I cut a postprealpha release of the communism dealio, go here to look at it (https://github.com/howonlee/mertonon) or here to download it (https://github.com/howonlee/mertonon/releases/tag/v0.9.65-postprealpha). continuing on the path to alpha

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

your cybersyn project is super neat and I've been following it eagerly

I haven't done much for my game, I'm sorta taking a break, might make another push this weekend though. I already posted the shuttle in the Blender thread but I did a few refinements to it

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
i have a quixotic project i'm working on to write my own IPv4 ethernet stack for an embedded STM32 microcontroller. it mostly works right now but i'm dredging through the process of getting a micro DHCP client to wake up and request an IP address from a server and it works 9/10 times but that 1/10 bit returns total garbage.

no idea why what should be a deterministic ask-response interaction with the server randomly fails, ugh this thing is so close to working i can taste it but debugging asynchronous protocols sucks so bad i just am going nuts getting that last 10%

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

DHCP is an ugly hack that is grafted onto an older protocol named BOOTP that was a patch for an even older protocol named RARP, it's amazing how much of the modern internet is just duct-taped together on 1970's technology

*meta transition from being mad on the internet to being mad about how the internet works*

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

also, all of the old internet protocols use a different byte-endiness to how modern processors work. the STM32 microcontrollers even acknowledge this by having ASM codes to flip that poo poo around in one clock cycle but holy poo poo is that an annoying detail to have to constantly work around

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was extra annoying as a mac dev for a couple of years in the late 2000s when your app had to target both ppc and x86 (which use different endianness)

but it was very much not annoying when porting a ppc game to xbox 360 (which was also a power derivative and used the same endianness)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ah right, all those many ppc games that were ported to xbox (?)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

not knocking on your work if you were indeed involved in that! but i can hardly imagine there were very many games ported?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

halo.

just halo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
marathon 2 actually

halo was completely rewritten for xbox, also the xbox 1 (the original xbox not the xbox one) was x86 based

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

wonder how much code was shared between the ppc and n64 ports of starcraft

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

n64 was mips

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
super mario wonder is the mips as well

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sagacity posted:

super mario wonder is the mips as well

wat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he said he wants to touch your nips

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
it's slang

e.g. "that girl's MIPS, bro"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nm what's mips with u

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Silver Alicorn posted:

:hmmyes: also speaking of docking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zvVGJrTP8

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
cmon tars

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
tars was so good

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i have never wanted a robot pal more than tars or case

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok, kinda jonesing to get back to work on space game, but i"m not sure where to start. few ideas:

> music and sound effects
>> unlocks: bitchin cool music and sound effects

> toggleable solar panels
>> unlocks: other toggleable stuff like cargo doors

> finish the space shuttle
>> unlocks: space shuttle, realistically hauling up parts that don't have their own engines

> make an assembly building
>> unlocks: makin a build queue and stuff, scene transitions for loading payloads

lots more comes to mind idk but mostly cosmetic stuff

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Internet Janitor posted:

i have never wanted a robot pal more than tars or case

I would ruin my life for those robots

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

I would ruin my life for those robots

the real reason matt damon is a monster is that he killed his robot, KIPP

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

nevermind, I've spent all day so far redoing the topology on my shuttle, but it's a lot better now and I'm learning some important tricks

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PDP-1 posted:

also, all of the old internet protocols use a different byte-endiness to how modern processors work. the correct byte-endianness unlike modern processors

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

eschaton posted:

also, all of the old internet protocols use a different byte-endiness to how modern processors work. the correct byte-endianness unlike modern processors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Our entire mathematical system is big endian. Only an insane person would even think of reversing it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
endianness always struck me as one of those mistakes that someone caught too late so they had to just bluff their way around it in lieu of fixing it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
diversity makes the world a more interesting place

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
never have i ever been more sympathetic to procrustes chopping off bits from peeps or putting them on the stretching rack to standardize their height after dealing with 14 saml implementations at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
"The ith bit of an n byte word is in byte n - floor(i/8) - 1" is less appealing in some situations than "the ith bit of an n bit word is in byte floor(i/8)".

You could get truly deranged and call the MSB bit 0, but "The place value of bit i of an n byte word is 2^(8n - i -1)" is always less appealing than "The place value of bit i is 2^i".

I'm not arguing for little-endian as much as I'm saying that I've never really seen one ordering or another as a slam dunk in all situations, especially when thinking about arithmetic.

Any argument that depends on the direction text is rendered makes me wonder anyone if anyone ever argued for bi-endian machines with little-endian in arabic and hebrew locales but big-endian in europe. Or other insanities like oscilloscopes that sweep right-to-left.