Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

if only eric clapton had known

Pro: he would never have recorded Tears in Heaven

Con: we'd be robbed of the delightful cover, Dick in Heaven

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cops in America spend only a fraction of their time working to solve crimes. 90% or more of cop activity is fishing for a reason to arrest a brown person.

what are you, some kind of lawyer

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
"The hospital bed was pulled uncontrollably into the MRI machine by its magnetic force as seen in photos obtained by KTVU.
A nurse became pinned between the bed and the machine and suffered crushing injuries, according to an investigation by Cal/OSHA."
A patient had fallen off the bed in the accident but otherwise ok and the nurse had to have 2 screws removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfwxoigZZk

https://www.ktvu.com/news/bay-area-nurse-crushed-in-mri-accident-highlighting-safety-concerns

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Is there such a thing as a ferrous metal detector that could be put at the entrance of mri rooms?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Normally they use a handheld wand before you go in so that it can be more sensitive and also identify where exactly it is.

Doesn't help if the actual MRI techs have wandered away, but a walk through detector that beeped probably wouldn't have helped either in that situation

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Video says that people are supposed to be screened at every door.
But seemingly not this time.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Well I ain’t passed the bar, but I know a lil bit. Enough that you won’t illegally search my poo poo.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Riven posted:

Well I ain’t passed the bar, but I know a lil bit. Enough that you won’t illegally search my poo poo.

That only works if the cop cares about the law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I used to be now I’m just sitting in my ivory tower writing papers.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

evobatman posted:

Well their glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back. And they know their rights so cop goin' need a warrant for that

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Paper Tiger posted:

Well their glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back. And they know their rights so cop goin' need a warrant for that

Ya crazy for this one, Tiger!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Foxfire_ posted:

Normally they use a handheld wand before you go in so that it can be more sensitive and also identify where exactly it is.

Doesn't help if the actual MRI techs have wandered away, but a walk through detector that beeped probably wouldn't have helped either in that situation

I've had about 10 MRIs and I've never been checked with any kind of magnetic detector going in, just asked about metal in the eye, make sure your pockets are empty (even though they always have me change into a gown), etc.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
From a few days ago, but I found this article on Tim Martin, the "The Arch Flying Cowboy of Canyonlands, Utah"
http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueSO02/Arch91002.html

quote:

It is import to point out that all of Tim’s incredible low-level flights were made in the 1980s before the advent of current restrictions imposed by federal agencies, and that Tim has long since given up low-level and arch flying to honor his family’s wishes.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

gvibes posted:

From a few days ago, but I found this article on Tim Martin, the "The Arch Flying Cowboy of Canyonlands, Utah"
http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueSO02/Arch91002.html

That TikTok really doesn't look like 1980s footage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Weembles posted:

That TikTok really doesn't look like 1980s footage.

Yeah, that looks like it was filmed with a decent camera within the last decade.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/QPlvoz4.mp4

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

evobatman posted:

No amount of knowing the law can stop the cops from running you in and ruining your night, that's mostly based on an attitude test. But knowing the law and politely not consenting to searches can make it much harder for them to put lasting consequences on you.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Riven posted:

It's also illegal to commit murder but I have some bad news about American cops

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol so many goons taking that post at face value

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
99 problems and the cops are 50 of them.

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005

Airconswitch posted:

It's also illegal to commit murder but I have some bad news about American cops

True. We’ll see how smart they are when the K9 comes.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

I've had about 10 MRIs and I've never been checked with any kind of magnetic detector going in, just asked about metal in the eye, make sure your pockets are empty (even though they always have me change into a gown), etc.
:shrug: UCSF (the other, better hospital in San Francisco near the one in the story) has always wanded me. (And found stuff, one of the surgical masks I had during covid apparently had some internal hidden metal pieces)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that looks like it was filmed with a decent camera within the last decade.

Filming in portrait mode gives it away immediately, plus most consumer handheld camcorders recorded at 4:3 aspect ratio until halfway through the aughts

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Paper Tiger posted:

Legal error on Jay-Z's part. They don't need a warrant to search a vehicle that's pulled over, they just need probable cause that the vehicle contains evidence of a crime. And the locked vs. unlocked status is completely irrelevant.

But he's still absolutely right to refuse consent to the search. If you give consent, you're hosed if they find something. If they search without your consent you can challenge the search and hopefully get the evidence excluded. And they can't just arbitrarily prolong the stop to wait for a K9 unit to show up, either.

In-depth legal analysis:

https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1007&context=jclc_online

There's also a civpro version of the song:

https://volokh.com/posts/1103476990.shtml

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SnoPuppy posted:

True. We’ll see how smart they are when the K9 comes.

I read 99 posts and not a single good one.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX61Ze6rfRk

quote:

guess

yes?

what

uh huh?

am I under arrest or should I guess some more?

do you know why we stopped the car?

cus I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

glynnenstein posted:

Yeah no poo poo they didn't check you, you don't have any possessions.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

All those old pull knobs on old planes like in that arch flying one look like they are so cheap feeling, like something on an old crappy lawn mower.

Anyone got a report on the knob feel of those things in here?

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

the other tell is when it shows the red led’s on the radios VFO readout. they’re blinking and out because its being recorded with a cellphone that does the rolling vertical shutter thing. its deff new footage.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

https://i.imgur.com/hpytoUI.mp4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is how they assert dominance

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The King shits. The Hand takes the poo poo.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Some people just want to watch the world burn

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkzbrkUdER1sstv8d.mp4

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Unperson_47 posted:

All those old pull knobs on old planes like in that arch flying one look like they are so cheap feeling, like something on an old crappy lawn mower.

I got one you can pull and see what you think.

It feels cheap

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Unperson_47 posted:

They feel fine, it's connected to a cable just the same as a lever would be, but has a lock nut that lets you adjust friction, useful for making fine adjustments to throttle/mixture/prop and locking it in place because... well things vibrate a lot. It's more compact than levers which is great for a small space (you probably have no idea how cramped it is in a 152, it's tight, like wearing an aluminum suit), and it's a somewhat less complicated mechanism than a bank of levers would be, so they appear on a lot of small aircraft.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

why are you that close to a volcano aaaaa

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

I brought my Drake posted:

why are you that close to a volcano aaaaa

it's a trick of the camera angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

They are identical to the knobs on your lawnmower, except that they come with a certificate of provenance and the associated 500x markup.