Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

wolrah posted:

As someone who is lucky enough to have never experienced suicidal thoughts nor lost anyone particularly close to me, there is definitely a part of me that wishes I could have had the experience of encountering those scenes blind.

That said, as someone who has watched too many friends grieve those they have lost I can only imagine how horrible that same exact experience could be for some of them, especially the ones unfortunate enough to have either witnessed or discovered the aftermath of someone taking that action in real life. We don't even have to get in to what might "push a person over the edge", just think about the much larger group of people who cared about those already gone, some of whom might have been playing video games to try to take their mind off it.

You didn't miss much, Superhot spun off a game jam entry and, while a blast to play, was built entirely out of rule of cool over anything you might call a fully formed thought.

There is still a place for this kind of content, as long as you put the appropriate warnings up in advance, but it has to have some thought behind it and exist for more than shock value alone. As it is it was execu... implemented like a modern Mortal Kombat fatality, a cheap chuckle at the audacity for the unaffected, and something pretty unpleasant for anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaMQX5V4FbU
I had forgotten Schell games had announced this.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

KillHour posted:

As a standalone thing with willing and informed participants, it's an interesting idea because you have to force some serious cognitive dissonance, which is very weird. Like I'm fine with it in that plank experience game because jumping off a building is literally the entire point and it's communicated up front.

But even though I thought it was a neat gimmick in the moment (and I'm personally glad I experienced it before it got taken out), it's not something you just want to surprise people with because it can be really well... triggering. It's like if halfway through at a fancy tasting menu restaurant they gave you something insanely spicy with no warning just for the "experience" of being forced to do something unpleasant. I'm sure someone out there would enjoy it, but it's crossing a line that exists for a reason.

Lines and veils. I play a lot of TTRPG's and you don't always want to avoid difficult to discuss territory/topics. Those can make for really impactful stories, even if its uncomfortable! That being said there is a reason every session zero starts with lines and veils.

I still think a theme of breaking the simulation by betraying your most basic instincts is extremely cool. But they should probably warn players that it is there and they can disable it if it makes them uncomfortable up front. Or make it explicitly opt-in only.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 1, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaMQX5V4FbU
I had forgotten Schell games had announced this.

That looks pretty fun, I have to say. I'd give it a shot.

I wonder if this sort of thing combined with the "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" system would be good. One person talks you through tracking abominations to their lair, breaking the defenses, and ultimately putting a stake in them, etc. Seems like you could mix and match all kinds of stuff that way.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I tried and refunded Dungeons of Eternity. It just felt like yet another sword game. This will sound shallow but the little door transition from room to room kind of sealed the deal for me to return it.

It wasn't bad by any measure but I already have 2.5 sword games and this wasn't doing it for me at $30

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Did you do multiplayer? That's the killer aspect I think. Going to do some skeleton smashing tonight with a couple buds.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

ShaneB posted:

Did you do multiplayer? That's the killer aspect I think. Going to do some skeleton smashing tonight with a couple buds.

I did not, and I don't have any one else who has the game. My multiplayer for Quest is once a week with my British goon friend and his lads, and occasionally playing Pavlov with the general public. Although that's hit and miss and I usually hop into a few different servers to find one without jackasses or children. Children who shreek and try to explain a map I have been playing on longer than they have been alive by a factor of 2.

That said when you do find a good server in Pavlov its some of the most fun I have had playing VR or a any shooter by that matter.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
I have an Index, the lighthouses, and 3 trackers. Anything I can carry over if I am grabbing a Quest 3?

If I'm taking it on a 10+ hour plane ride, what accessories should I buy? (edit: I guess to clarify, I am mostly planning on using it as an extended screen with Immersed to my Steam Deck and less so say, Beat Saber on the plane :p)

Zet fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 2, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I gotta say, VR is super rad and I’m about to buy twin Quest 3s for me and my wife to upgrade from her Quest 2 and my Index so like, I’m into it, but I don’t think I’ll ever be comfortably nerdy enough to use it somewhere like a plane.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zet posted:

I have an Index, the lighthouses, and 3 trackers. Anything I can carry over if I am grabbing a Quest 3?

Besides some weirdness with tying to use the Index knuckles at the same time, no, and even then maybe that's not a thing anymore.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Zet posted:

If I'm taking it on a 10+ hour plane ride, what accessories should I buy? (edit: I guess to clarify, I am mostly planning on using it as an extended screen with Immersed to my Steam Deck and less so say, Beat Saber on the plane :p)

if you've already got all that gear and presumably a beast PC, would you not consider the bigscreen goggles as your upgrade instead?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zet posted:

Sorry, that sounds cumbersome and awful. All the adapters and dongles to connect to the steam deck, plus keeping a Quest controller handy to constantly recenter the screen as the plane moves, then trying to keep both devices charged for 10 hours?

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Besides some weirdness with tying to use the Index knuckles at the same time, no, and even then maybe that's not a thing anymore.

Thanks! I figured I'd ask just in case there was something

Chadzok posted:

if you've already got all that gear and presumably a beast PC, would you not consider the bigscreen goggles as your upgrade instead?

eddiewalker posted:

Sorry, that sounds cumbersome and awful. All the adapters and dongles to connect to the steam deck, plus keeping a Quest controller handy to constantly recenter the screen as the plane moves, then trying to keep both devices charged for 10 hours?

I was originally considering an xreal or similar (rokid max), but after trying the Rokid I returned it cuz the screen size seemed pretty small and I couldn't get it to be super comfortable to me. So the Quest 3 is more of a side... thing?

Honestly, I've only started to formulate the idea after seeing the price points were fairly close and people on the xreal subreddit not being super happy about how those devs have [not] quite supported the products. That is to say, I have no idea about the Quest ecosystem because every 6 months I say "surely, Valve will announce the wireless Deckard in the next 6 months"

The Quest controller to recenter definitely seems like a hassle. I was hoping I'd be able to turn on the Quest and plug it into my Deck's dock similar to this guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/178t6wo/finally_got_this_working_armored_core_6_running/

I'll keep on researching

Zet fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 2, 2023

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ive seen those Reddit posts, but they never mention all of the cable and adapters necessary.

I don’t think you can just connect the Deck and the Quest with a usb-c. Pretty sure you need a usb-c to hdmi for the deck, usb-c hdmi capture dongle for the quest, an hdmi cable and a way to power everything.

Quest is kind of OK for movies on a plane. Maybe emulated 2D games. Trying to turbo-nerd with the steam deck while you’re elbow-to-gut with strangers on a plane is just too much.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just did a 90 minute 3 person session of Dungeons of Eternity. It's fun. It's a bit simplistic in the end - there are 3 types of runs you can do each basically kill poo poo with a slightly different end part. 1 is beat some stronger enemies and get good loot. 1 is target dudes with a green staff one person holds so they drop a soul and suck it up before the time runs out and get souls that can unlock potions I guess? Last 1 is protecting an object from bad dudes to get character upgrade coins that buff you or debuff enemies/environmental damage.

It plays well and the runs are fast so you can do a bunch of them in a session.

I unlocked a buffed sword and throwing hatchet so far and got a sikk wizards robe so I'm styling.

Fun with friends, can't see having as much fun with randos or solo really.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Zet posted:

If you leave the lighthouses set up you can use the trackers with your quest with some third party calibration software (OVR Space Calibrator I think.)

Personally I find it too cumbersome to bother most of the time.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zet posted:

Yes. You can use the trackers for FBT and whatever else. You just have to do the playspace sync poo poo but its not super complicated and if you've been using it regularly for something you'll still wanna use it so keep the lighthouses up.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

I don’t think you can just connect the Deck and the Quest with a usb-c. Pretty sure you need a usb-c to hdmi for the deck, usb-c hdmi capture dongle for the quest, an hdmi cable and a way to power everything.

Quest does not have any direct video input.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And to make Link work you need the Oculus software installed which only works on Windows. The only way for the Quest and a Steam Deck to talk would be over Virtual Desktop.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MikusR posted:

Quest does not have any direct video input.

There are android “usb camera viewer” apps you can sideload. That’s how people are getting hdmi capture dongles to work as video inputs but it’s not a feasibly-portable solution

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Super Foul Egg posted:

You didn't miss much, Superhot spun off a game jam entry and, while a blast to play, was built entirely out of rule of cool over anything you might call a fully formed thought.

There is still a place for this kind of content, as long as you put the appropriate warnings up in advance, but it has to have some thought behind it and exist for more than shock value alone. As it is it was execu... implemented like a modern Mortal Kombat fatality, a cheap chuckle at the audacity for the unaffected, and something pretty unpleasant for anyone else.

I kind of liked going through that part myself and a warning would have ruined it, since I had the gun and saw the message and was like "huh?" and just started pointing it randomly before I went "ohh" and put it to the temple. Was definitely a memorable moment.

That said I understand why it was taken out and it was definitely a good thing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

njsykora posted:

And to make Link work you need the Oculus software installed which only works on Windows. The only way for the Quest and a Steam Deck to talk would be over Virtual Desktop.

Sorry for the double post, but you could use ALVR wired, I think it should work on linux as well since it uses ADB port forwarding. It looks nicer than link too.

I've found all of link/VD/ALVR have their place and tradeoffs, link is generally not that great looking but has good reliability and latency, plus works well with native oculus/openxr stuff and is useful to start the ALVR/VD clients. ALVR is good wired in terms of both quality and reliability/latency, but the interface is not as nice as VD which is also better for wireless.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 2, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

njsykora posted:

Or you just install Windows on the Deck, since it is a normal PC after all.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
TIL meta killed custom homes a bit ago, apparently didn't give a warning or anything, all those assets and poo poo are just gone, I had put a lot of dumb work into mine, wish I woulda taken some pics at least.

has the tracking on the reverb g2 improved at all since launch?

edit: dang apparently yes, they did a whole rear end revision, interesting.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 2, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KillHour posted:

As a standalone thing with willing and informed participants, it's an interesting idea because you have to force some serious cognitive dissonance, which is very weird. Like I'm fine with it in that plank experience game because jumping off a building is literally the entire point and it's communicated up front.

But even though I thought it was a neat gimmick in the moment (and I'm personally glad I experienced it before it got taken out), it's not something you just want to surprise people with because it can be really well... triggering. It's like if halfway through at a fancy tasting menu restaurant they gave you something insanely spicy with no warning just for the "experience" of being forced to do something unpleasant. I'm sure someone out there would enjoy it, but it's crossing a line that exists for a reason.

I had a bit of an experience with this in one of the vrchat maps for the backrooms, before the guy put in an update that warned you before you started that it dealt with themes of suicide, it was a bit offputting to get to the "exit" and the only thing sitting there was a way to kill yourself.

Guy wisely patched in a warning screen when you drop into the map that there's suicidal themes in the map, after people complained to him about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Power Wash Simulator VR's out on the Quest!

PCVR's thankfully coming eventually, but still; :argh:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the silicone interface may be the only official addon dlc for a consumer product that was overpriced but non poo poo ive ever gotten lol. i got amazon to give me a slick 30 dollars refund from some price drop for other crap and used that to try it out and its basically cushioned silicone, pretty good.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The Bonelab thing bugs me more than the Superhot one because without it you're missing a chunk of story. Also they could have just taken out the putting the noose around your own neck part and left the rest since it looks like it's other people killing you anyway.

Anyway I gave up on it and and am playing Half Life Alyx, which so far lives up to expectations. Funny enough I find the Combine are made a lot scarier than the zombies in VR. There's just something about them getting up in your face that's unsettling.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Nice Van My Man posted:

Anyway I gave up on it and and am playing Half Life Alyx, which so far lives up to expectations. Funny enough I find the Combine are made a lot scarier than the zombies in VR. There's just something about them getting up in your face that's unsettling.

Agreed, the Combine in pancake Half-life 2 are just annoying, but having them up close and personal in Alyx is a totally different experience. They are really creepy.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I will say the zombie gore got to me a lot more in VR. When I saw dismembered bodies lying around I thought holy poo poo, how can they put this in a videogame? I'm looking at a mutilated dead body here! Then I realized it's the same thing you'd see in vanilla HL (or pretty much any monster FPS) that I would just pass by without much notice. Things just hit different in VR.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Yes! I felt exactly the same way when I saw my first corpse in Alyx. It was a holy poo poo moment for sure. Then I realized you could grab the limbs and drag the corpse which is a whole new level of gore

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Put in some VR time with the BoboVR M3 Pro today. The Bobo battery ran out after about 2 hours of playtime, with the quest 3's battery being at about 80% at that point. It does its job, significantly extending playtime, though I wouldn't say no to a revised battery with a higher capacity. So yeah, even if it's basically a retrofit of their quest 2 strap, it still seems worth it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quest 3 is on the list! but still it only captured the a few days of the month, so it's only 0.15%.
Index is surging, somehow! Still 1080€ lol.
But the total number has lowered to 1.23%. Low as gently caress.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Does anyone else still use a rift s and if so are you getting the thing where every time you put back on your headset, it wants you to redo guardian, even if you only took it off for less than a minute?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Power Wash Simulator VR's out on the Quest!

PCVR's thankfully coming eventually, but still; :argh:

Apparently it's *really* rough and not at all like the trailer. Disappointing

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I tried Powerwash Sim VR and refunded it. Everything is jaggy and low-res, and the game apparently runs at 36FPS. Trying to play it on a Quest 3 made me sick in a way I haven't felt in a long, long time with VR.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

runaway dog posted:

Does anyone else still use a rift s and if so are you getting the thing where every time you put back on your headset, it wants you to redo guardian, even if you only took it off for less than a minute?

Yes and, unfortunately, yes. It seems like it happens more frequently when I put the headset down outside the guardian boundaries, or if I put it somewhere it can't see my whole playspace, like facing a wall or underneath a desk. Do you use Oculus tray tool? I feel like the frequency may have gone down since I started using the Oculus homeless option. Although this could all just be placebo effect. I have no idea what's really causing it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Yes and, unfortunately, yes. It seems like it happens more frequently when I put the headset down outside the guardian boundaries, or if I put it somewhere it can't see my whole playspace, like facing a wall or underneath a desk. Do you use Oculus tray tool? I feel like the frequency may have gone down since I started using the Oculus homeless option. Although this could all just be placebo effect. I have no idea what's really causing it.

I remember using the tray tool like way back when I bought the thing but was reading that people were saying it was obsolete so I haven't used it since, guess I could give it a try, the placing outside the guardian thing might be a decent lead, I tend to lay it down on the table next to this recliner and I just make the play space a small circle around me since I only ever use the thing sitting down, I'll see if just making the entire room the zone helps.

almost seems to me that when they removed homes, they broke the rift's ability to save guardian settings, like it was saving them during the home step or something, probably just coincidence though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Since the SteamVR update, I've noticed two annoying things:

1) Before I used to have a view with just my installed VR games, now the VR library tab lists uninstalled games and will bring up that "do you want to launch this in vr or not vr" prompt. Is there some way to get these to always launch in VR only if I'm in VR? I dont want to use the "don't ask me each time" thing because sometimes I do need to launch them in desktop mode if I'm not in VR.

2) There's something really fucky with notifications - when I get in VR I'll start getting steam notifications for people on my friends list playing X or Y game, but it almost seems like im getting some weird massive backlog of these messages cause they will keep popping up for minutes on end of games people are not actually currently playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxyclean posted:

Since the SteamVR update, I've noticed two annoying things:

1) Before I used to have a view with just my installed VR games, now the VR library tab lists uninstalled games and will bring up that "do you want to launch this in vr or not vr" prompt. Is there some way to get these to always launch in VR only if I'm in VR? I dont want to use the "don't ask me each time" thing because sometimes I do need to launch them in desktop mode if I'm not in VR.

2) There's something really fucky with notifications - when I get in VR I'll start getting steam notifications for people on my friends list playing X or Y game, but it almost seems like im getting some weird massive backlog of these messages cause they will keep popping up for minutes on end of games people are not actually currently playing.

There's a setting to make a game always launch in VR from VR, it's in the options in the SteamVR dashboard for each specific game somewhere. I can't remember where off the top of my head.

edit: Found it. Game, click the cog, Properties, Launch Options.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 3, 2023