Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I hit an eagle like 5 years before I ever hit a birdie. Now in 20 years, I've hit exactly 1 of each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Welp, looks like after work golf is off the cards now for the next 6 months.

/edit and the clocks change in a week too. gg go next

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
What are the chances someone here has played a course or two in Newfoundland and can recommend a course to play out there? I'm going there next week and courses are still taking tee times. Meanwhile, lots of courses in my city closed today since we're expecting snow.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything - but had an excellent front 9 and though I was well on the way to shooting under 80. Ended up getting a couple of double bogeys on 11 and 13 and it just tanked my round. It sucks!

Great course though - Kissing Tree in San Marcos TX.

drat, might be time for a central Texas goonmeet

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

lloyol posted:

What are the chances someone here has played a course or two in Newfoundland and can recommend a course to play out there? I'm going there next week and courses are still taking tee times. Meanwhile, lots of courses in my city closed today since we're expecting snow.

From a colleague who used to work in St John’s.

#1 - Humber valley on the west of island - not played but the clear number 1 amongst locals.
Next 2 I tie as #2
- Terra nova golf course (eagle creek is the #1 course) - a spectacular walk, and the golf is too as well, the best par 3s I’ve played (many over water) and some really challenging and smart other holes. Not too much of a ling course unless playing back tees, play smart, not long.
- was clovelly golf, now called Bally haly (Bally bought clovelly), was a member at this, the course is stunning and greens amazing but this is a wel designed and manicured course. Not the best walk in the park scenery wise, but a great course for the golfer.
#3 - the wilds, another nice walk as well as well groomed course. A tough course.

If looking in St Johns only, then the new Bally haly is the best by a mile. But pippy park, a municipal course, has some spectacular holes/views… It is in the process of being improved and pretty good. Tough greens that don’t stick well.

In at johns there is glendenning which has a good club atmousphere, but the course is juse straight hole after straight hole - no charm.

Word of caution, golf in at johns is VERY windy…

Clovelly golf is either head or tail wind… big par 5s straight into wind.

Pippy is on the highest point of St. John’s… you guessed it, a hell of a lot of wind….

Hope it helps

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Had a first today. Four ball, and one of us from each of the four tees.

Young dude from tips, me from blues, slightly older guy from whites, old guy from yellow.

Young guy pushing scratch I'd say, but did not deal with adversity well. Took a hard swing at the pin with his putter after a three putt bogey.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Oodles posted:

I’ve not even had a gross birdie.

Your boy hasn’t broken 100 yet.

:respek: some day.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Thanks for the info, Oodles. Last time I wanted to play in the east coast was Halifax two years ago and I canceled the idea when there were 80km/h winds. I’m hoping it doesn’t repeat again during my visit.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Back to range chat. I found a good video from a YouTuber about their approach to range work.

https://youtu.be/57L9OKeqgmM?si=Sa7CJKv6Lh4ATZo6

Tl:dr

20 balls to warm up with wedges, but after each shot have a little stretch.
10 balls working through irons and woods
40 balls working on one aspect of your game
30 balls then playing dynamically, so pretend you’re playing a hole, so you’re not just hitting the same club.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Oodles posted:

If looking in St Johns only, then the new Bally haly is the best by a mile.

Just wanted to thank you again for mentioning this course. I played it on Sunday for $92 with a cart. Absolutely scenic, challenging, thoughtful hilly course. You weren’t joking about the winds. It made the par 5 500 yard extremely challenging when it was hitting against us. The downsides were the greens were punched last week, making our putts often short of the cup, or dancing around with no sense of direction, and the group behind us taking a shot while we were still on the fairway trying to find a ball. We finished in less than four hours, so I don’t know why the rush.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just had a golf lesson, and my instructor hasn’t sent me the trackman data.

It’s the same as not logging exercise on Strava, if I don’t see it; it doesn’t count.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I got a winter range membership at some upmarket top golf style place here in the Netherlands, they use inrange tracking even on the standard practice bays downstairs and with the app it saves it all on my phone, albeit there is no club or spin data.

It’s been great seeing how pathetically I’m hitting the ball after breaking my wrist in two places.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just bought a set of 714 AP1’s for 300 bucks, 4-pw with a 52 and 56 sm5 vokey wedges.

Bargain.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Today was the kind of day that reinforces every good thing about golf.

Great folks to play with. Man and wife around 70, solid golfers, good pace, good etiquette, very pleasant. Woman had a sweet ball flight, and great touch on approaches. Man was longish for his age, good putter.

Third was a woman, around 60 (my age), good golfer, good off the tee, really solid putter.

Pace was right at 4 hours, temperature was 55 to start, 70 at the end. Only way it could have been a better day was to make the three ~8' par putts in a row that I missed high because I gave away the hole on 3, 4 and 5 today. Shot a 79 and had 75 in my fist.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
That legit sounds amazing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played 18. Quite different weather from Monday's perfection. 42 when I teed off at 8:55. Playing solo, some rain and then snow predicted for ~10 am, so course is literally empty.

Played front 9 in 51 minutes. I don't hurry, but on 9 I realize I had put my club away and sat down in the cart before my approach to the green had stopped moving. I had perfect distance in for my G wedge, hit it solid, on the right line and I just stepped to the cart and put the club away without thinking about it, sat down and looked up the see the ball just coming to a stop.

Birdied my worst hole on the course, no one anywhere around to see it. Then hit a great tee shot on the next par 3 to a back pin, left myself ten feet. Just missed the birdie, and realized A) having a great time, B) wish someone was seeing these shots/holes.

Drove home through snow, I have around 4 inches at the house already.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Went to the range with my new clubs.

Turns out it’s not my clubs that make me poo poo.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Oodles posted:

Went to the range with my new clubs.

Turns out it’s not my clubs that make me poo poo.

It's okay, everyone works through that evolution with every new club.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

Played 18. Quite different weather from Monday's perfection. 42 when I teed off at 8:55. Playing solo, some rain and then snow predicted for ~10 am, so course is literally empty.

Played front 9 in 51 minutes. I don't hurry, but on 9 I realize I had put my club away and sat down in the cart before my approach to the green had stopped moving. I had perfect distance in for my G wedge, hit it solid, on the right line and I just stepped to the cart and put the club away without thinking about it, sat down and looked up the see the ball just coming to a stop.

Birdied my worst hole on the course, no one anywhere around to see it. Then hit a great tee shot on the next par 3 to a back pin, left myself ten feet. Just missed the birdie, and realized A) having a great time, B) wish someone was seeing these shots/holes.

Drove home through snow, I have around 4 inches at the house already.
aren't you in the denver area? I admire your dedication playing yesterday, it was pretty crap out

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

aren't you in the denver area? I admire your dedication playing yesterday, it was pretty crap out

Yeah played a Lakewood course. Getting off the course early salvaged the day.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Can you imagine?

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1722781118498517028?s=20

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

How poo poo should I be at my level? I’m almost breaking 105, and feel like I have unrealistic expectations of good I should be.

My 8 iron (and to be fair, my 7, 6 and 5) all go 120 yards. My driver is 165 yards, and all off to the right. I routinely fat approach shots, and thin chips. I can’t read a green to save my life.

The only saving grace is I’ve been getting lessons the past 5 months, as opposed to the past 15 years where I’ve just hacked my way about.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oodles posted:

How poo poo should I be at my level? I’m almost breaking 105, and feel like I have unrealistic expectations of good I should be.

My 8 iron (and to be fair, my 7, 6 and 5) all go 120 yards. My driver is 165 yards, and all off to the right. I routinely fat approach shots, and thin chips. I can’t read a green to save my life.

The only saving grace is I’ve been getting lessons the past 5 months, as opposed to the past 15 years where I’ve just hacked my way about.

What have you been working on in those lessons? Driving it 165 yards unless you're dead center every fairway is going to be tough to score any lower. Have the lessons been doing anything for you?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If you’re going to break 100 when your driver has as much length as my 6 iron you must be doing something right

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

mattfl posted:

What have you been working on in those lessons? Driving it 165 yards unless you're dead center every fairway is going to be tough to score any lower. Have the lessons been doing anything for you?

It’s been working on my swing with my irons. I’ve not had a lesson with my driver yet. The lessons have improved my consistency and have removed my ridiculous slice. I’d have way more mishits without my lessons. Before I had lessons I was 126/125 round a course, and last time I played it I was 105. So saving 20 shots is pretty good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Oodles posted:

Distance, you have to figure out how to improve distance. If you're not getting to the green in two on par 4s it's going to be incredibly hard to start trending downward, especially if you can't chip or read greens.

Get a lesson from someone different, tell them exactly what you posted, because you should be driving the ball 100 yards further than you are based off of a 120 yard 8 iron.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Distance, you have to figure out how to improve distance. If you're not getting to the green in two on par 4s it's going to be incredibly hard to start trending downward, especially if you can't chip or read greens.

Get a lesson from someone different, tell them exactly what you posted, because you should be driving the ball 100 yards further than you are based off of a 120 yard 8 iron.

120 yard 8i is shortish. A 265 yard drive is well above average.

His current instructor hasn't addressed his driver yet, he shouldn't be hopping instructors yet.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Yea, I was going to give my instructor the benefit of the doubt for a little while. I’ve only just started fixing my swing first.

/edit, might make my next lesson an hour and split into a half hour section on driver.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

120 yard 8i is shortish. A 265 yard drive is well above average.

His current instructor hasn't addressed his driver yet, he shouldn't be hopping instructors yet.

He should be hitting his driver 100 yards further than his 8 iron, not 100 yards further

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

He should be hitting his driver 100 yards further than his 8 iron, not 100 yards further

That makes more sense, yeah. But, he hasn't had a driver lesson yet, so I'd still caution patience for now.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Counterpoint: if you want to expand your lessons into distance clubs, choose fairway woods, as the swing & setup is more similar to your current iron work.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Nah gently caress all this. If you're going into a coach blind and you're basically working with nothing as a swing, they should be starting at your woods and then working your way back down to the irons. You can teach control, but you need some distance first with which to work from. A coach should be telling you to bash a ball as hard as you can (especially if you're hitting it fat as that is frequently caused by deceleration) and then build your swing into something solid from there.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

This is all fuckin moot now as I crashed off my bike yesterday and cracked a rib.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Watch this be the thing that gets you to learn a consistent swing since you'll be limited in movement.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Oodles posted:

This is all fuckin moot now as I crashed off my bike yesterday and cracked a rib.

Well at least you didn't tear an intercostal from a terrible golf swing (like me).

Imagine being so bad at golf that you sideline yourself from even being able to practice golf.

Kirios posted:

Watch this be the thing that gets you to learn a consistent swing since you'll be limited in movement.

Dear god I'm hoping this for me too, as I have to move so slowly and thoughtfully, that I actually think I'll be on my way to having something in a month or so when I can go to the range again.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 13, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Quote isn't edit

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 13, 2023

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
if 8, 7, and 6 are all going the same distance (ignoring 5 for now) there's some fundamental work that needs to be done on the swing and working on fundamentals with the longest club in the bag isn't the best idea imo

telling someone who doesn't know how to swing a club to swing as hard as they can generally means they're gonna whip it from the top and snap their shaft when they smack the face directly into the ground or pull a muscle while ingraining some weird sequencing. Learning speed early is mega important if you're a junior trying to play D1 college or go pro, but it's considerably less important if you're an adult trying to break 100 (and juniors doing speed stuff generally have either been swinging fisher price sets since they were toddlers or at least have the fundamentals down)

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Alright, before I splurge on more lessons, I figure I oughta ask the goon hive mind.

If I'm diagnosing my own issue correctly, it's that my hips are moving toward the ball as I initiate my downswing, when I should be pulling my left hip back. But, I cannot loving figure out how to pull my hip back without extending / standing up. So far with this swing, I've eliminated my disgusting heel shank, but I've replaced that with the occasional duck hook into the woods. When it all comes together though, I hit nice little fades like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiC9VfHZ5to

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Aggro posted:

Alright, before I splurge on more lessons, I figure I oughta ask the goon hive mind.

If I'm diagnosing my own issue correctly, it's that my hips are moving toward the ball as I initiate my downswing, when I should be pulling my left hip back. But, I cannot loving figure out how to pull my hip back without extending / standing up. So far with this swing, I've eliminated my disgusting heel shank, but I've replaced that with the occasional duck hook into the woods. When it all comes together though, I hit nice little fades like this.

Note: I am not in anyway a teacher and I usually hate giving advise, but the things I see that look odd to me are

Your shoulders are, very interesting when you start your swing, try and level them out a little more, hell even on my driver swing I don't think my shoulders are at that much of an angle, and if they are it's because of my spine angle not necessary me forcing my shoulders like that, that position your in just looks uncomfortable.

It looks like you have a lot of your weight on your forward foot, also odd looking to me.

Was the video started at the start of your swing? Do you always address the ball a foot behind it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Aggro posted:

I suck at golf, but did you say you are getting lessons?

A couple setup things:
- weight looks pretty far onto your heels at the start of the swing. If you drop a line from the back of your butt straight down ("tush line" to some), it probably hits the ground like 6-7 inches behind your heels. That is too far back. Look at basically any down the line picture of a pro at address. Their butt is maybe an inch or behind their heels. I like to think of, at address, standing perfectly straight, and then bending over at the waist like you are reaching to pick up something on the other side a fence or something. Then add a little knee bend. When you start where you do, it's difficult to get into a spot where you can pull the left hip back without falling over backwards--you are almost forced to bring your weight closer to the ball during the downswing
- right hand looks really strong, though it's a bit hard to see.

To the takeaway:
- the video starts a little late, but it seems like the clubhead has already moved a lot, and your hands haven't moved at all. That means your swing is started with just wrist movement. That is not supposed to happen. It can be overdone, but you could look at references to a "one piece takeaway" to get more of the idea.
- Club gets too far behind you (left on the screen) on takeaway. At club parallel to the ground, you probably want it facing straight to the camera. Porzak has some good takeaway videos. Maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Z3pC_l0-8 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knoCDgAMvHY . I find it really hard to make sure I am doing this without having DTL video on me.

I think your really inside takeaway gets you super shallow on the backswing and (coupled with your setup) very deep at the top. Shallow meaning shaft line way outside the ball, like so.

Deep meaning the butt of the club gets way behind you:

Most really good swings generally have the butt of the club over the ankle somewhere at the top.

There are lots of good players that go steep backswing->shallow downswing, but the opposite is really tough to pull off.