Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

BlackIronHeart posted:

It'd be hard to pin that on a 15-16 year old girl who was definitely in foster care at the time.

Vought can apparently successfully spin a campus massacre that was partially live-streamed, so I wouldn't put it past them.

I liked that this episode opened with a warning about depictions of violence on campus, as if all of the previous episodes haven't featured that. Especially as the warning was immediately followed by a montage of people exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, we live in a post-truth world. The people that willingly watch the Vought network don't need much assistance for the spin to be successful

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Welp, I guess Butcher has the supe disease now.

Any word on The Boys season yet?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/boys-season-4-gen-v-finale-homelander-butcher-cameos-1235777856/

quote:

Will we know when “The Boys” Season 4 is premiering by the time the “Gen V” finale airs?

Kripke: You will not know when “The Boys” Season 4 is airing by the time the “Gen V” finale airs. But most of the editing is done, we’re now deep into the music and visual effects. Marketing is starting to taxi their planes on the runway. There’s a lot happening behind the scenes of “The Boys” Season 4, I can say that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

spacetoaster posted:

Viruses generally don't stay airborne after their hosts die, and he didn't touch the corpse.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Jumping on the :bandwagon: to say that the series up till now was great but the last episode sucked.

So they're just standing around with Shetty all over the place going "Let's, um, take them down or something...?" They charge into the woods with no game plan, release the supes and go all "you're the superior race!!", and then wow, what a surprise, they're slaughtering people, who could possible have seen that coming??? And then Cate goes nuts (surprise!!) and then a confusing and pointless fight to save the Vought board even though they know fully well that Vought are all assholes. Not to mention Ashley has plot armor from being in the main series so there's no tension. Then Marie's Big Moment is to use her powers to make daggers instead of whips (wow!!), then Homelander shows up and they have no idea what to do with him, then an unsatisfying ending. And then Butcher show up in the post credits and repeats the same line he's used 834 times before.

It's the same as it was with The Boys... mostly great but the ending of S3 sucked.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Marie had three big moments where she discovered things about her power - seeing the invisible guy, stopping that person's heart and popping Cate's arm. The dagger thing just looked cool.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There could be interesting tension in the balance between the human rights of Supes and the safety of non-powered humans, but that finale went straight to everyone who got out of The Woods immediately jumping to mass-murdering civilians and not trying to find the people responsible. Maybe that was Cate, but it's not clear. And we have the death fakeout and indefinite detention, so they can stash these characters while deciding whether or not there'll be a second season.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Viruses generally don't stay airborne after their hosts die, and he didn't touch the corpse.

It wasn't airborne anyway and I'm just assuming he got a sample because that CIA lady probably told him about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Marie had three big moments where she discovered things about her power - seeing the invisible guy, stopping that person's heart and popping Cate's arm. The dagger thing just looked cool.

The dagger thing got a big dumb flashback montage to show how much she's learned of her powers

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chamale posted:

There could be interesting tension in the balance between the human rights of Supes and the safety of non-powered humans, but that finale went straight to everyone who got out of The Woods immediately jumping to mass-murdering civilians and not trying to find the people responsible. Maybe that was Cate, but it's not clear. And we have the death fakeout and indefinite detention, so they can stash these characters while deciding whether or not there'll be a second season.

It got renewed for a second season.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't follow the narrative at the end at all and I feel like the writers didn't either and couldn't figure out a better way to wrap everything up.

- it seemed like Cate and Shetty made up at the end of the 3rd last episode, so you think she's doing a fakeout at the beginning of the penultimate one. Did it feel like they were going to bring back the shapeshifting supe at the end to be the dying Shetty?

- why is Luke speaking to Sam as his conscience? It seems so dumb and sudden

- in what universe is changing the narrative to make Sam and Cate the heroes and the rest the villains something that makes rational sense or will even hold up under scrutiny?

Show sucked.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They never explicitly show her doing it so I'm going with no until told otherwise.

They also had her give a little speech to rally them once they found that bioweapon corpse. Why have that speech if she was just going to make them do it anyways?

Some were going to do it anyways, others needed a push. You see her eyes becoming more blood-filled as the episode goes on, which they have shown us happens when she over-uses her powers.

My biggest problem was with how short the episode was. It was barely above 30 minutes minus the recap and post-credits scenes. The show has been averaging 50 minutes an episode, and could have really used those extra 20 minutes to flesh things out more.

Ardship of Cambry
Oct 22, 2008
I did think it was kinda funny that they contrived a reason for two characters to stand in a black-box stage and ACT. That was set up for the actors, right? They did great job.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

breadshaped posted:

- in what universe is changing the narrative to make Sam and Cate the heroes and the rest the villains something that makes rational sense or will even hold up under scrutiny?[/spoiler]

Show sucked.

Because Homelander wanted it because he's all about supe supremacy, probably won't hold up but he probably doesn't care.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Ardship of Cambry posted:

I did think it was kinda funny that they contrived a reason for two characters to stand in a black-box stage and ACT. That was set up for the actors, right? They did great job.

i really thought the professor was gonna start slow clapping from backstage

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Because Homelander wanted it because he's all about supe supremacy, probably won't hold up but he probably doesn't care.

Yea, that one isn't hard, Homelander is in charge of as much of Vought as he wants to be at this point and if he tells Ashley to sell this narrative she is going to. Another couple super powerful supes with one being able to literally control minds? That's a no-brainer to keep on your side.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kiminewt posted:

I thought she just pushed a bunch throughout the day (much of which we've seen). Had she pushed the escaped Supes I think we wouldve seen it.

Their (plus Cate and Sam's) immediate jump to massacring non Supes was hella weird. Like I get that they would be angry and murderous towards the guards and all of The Woods stuff but it feels like a huge leap for them to start just killing random people when they were ostensibly normal five minutes prior, even if they're emotionally unstable.

They were specifically killing humans. They had been imprisoned and tortured, possibly for years, were all mentally unwell (if not before their torture, then certainly after) and wanted some good old fashioned bloody handed revenge.

Like the guy with fire hands who walked around asking people if they were supes and left them alone until he found a random admin lady and burned her face off.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

breadshaped posted:

I didn't follow the narrative at the end at all and I feel like the writers didn't either and couldn't figure out a better way to wrap everything up.

- it seemed like Cate and Shetty made up at the end of the 3rd last episode, so you think she's doing a fakeout at the beginning of the penultimate one. Did it feel like they were going to bring back the shapeshifting supe at the end to be the dying Shetty?

Show sucked.

This one made sense to me, it was just a misdirect that Cate was onside with Shetty. She did realize that Shetty "loved" her but it didn't sway her, it just made it emotionally hard for her. It did make it unclear what was gonna happen when everyone showed up at Shetty's house but I thought that was just good tension.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

breadshaped posted:

- why is Luke speaking to Sam as his conscience? It seems so dumb and sudden

Show sucked.

People have already covered the other ones but what doesn't make sense about this?

He spent the whole series hallucinating and being upset about his hero brother's fate, and had a confused moral code. It makes perfect sense that he'd see his brother at his most morally compromised moment.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I don't think it doesn't make sense, but there is already another character he can (and does!) hash this dilemma out with, and the show has established a pretty specific form for his hallucinations

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Most of the criticisms ae probably valid, but, eh, I liked it. Looking forward to Cate's robot arm next season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

This one made sense to me, it was just a misdirect that Cate was onside with Shetty. She did realize that Shetty "loved" her but it didn't sway her, it just made it emotionally hard for her. It did make it unclear what was gonna happen when everyone showed up at Shetty's house but I thought that was just good tension.

Yea it was this. The last shot of that scene is even Cate and Shetty holding hands, which is almost certainly what Cate wanted.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

breadshaped posted:

- in what universe is changing the narrative to make Sam and Cate the heroes and the rest the villains something that makes rational sense or will even hold up under scrutiny?

Show sucked.

Vought controls the media. People will believe anything if you repeat it loudly and there are no dissenting voices.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:same: but imo she got there way too fast. It wasn't really believable. I don't have a problem with how quickly Sam got there though.

I mean, she’s off her meds.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They never explicitly show her doing it so I'm going with no until told otherwise.

They also had her give a little speech to rally them once they found that bioweapon corpse. Why have that speech if she was just going to make them do it anyways?

The score, the way her eyes scanned the group while she spoke, the way the group was rapt with attention, etc. suggested to me that the speech itself was a push. Also, look at how literally they followed her instruction (“are you a supe?”)

My read is that Cate could remotely push the Woods group (because they were already 90% of the way there) and had to get hands-on for the harder pushes like Sam (because of his internal conflict) and the helicopter jumper (because suicide)

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

eighty-four merc posted:

The score, the way her eyes scanned the group while she spoke, the way the group was rapt with attention, etc. suggested to me that the speech itself was a push. Also, look at how literally they followed her instruction (“are you a supe?”)

My read is that Cate could remotely push the Woods group (because they were already 90% of the way there) and had to get hands-on for the harder pushes like Sam (because of his internal conflict) and the helicopter jumper (because suicide)

It feels like her being able to push at a distance would be a much bigger deal so I'm skeptical of that, I don't think this show would give that subtle touch. I just think they were locked up and tortured by baseline humans and could buy into getting revenge. Especially since anyone working for the university seemed to be in on it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Gynovore posted:

Vought controls the media. People will believe anything if you repeat it loudly and there are no dissenting voices.

yeah, if there is one thing that The Boys (and all related shows) has been very consistent about, it is how much of a tight grip Vought has on media and narrative. The audience (though that is a bit of a stretch, considering some posters even in these threads) is shown that Vought can't be trusted and they push lots of bullshit, but it also shows that the audience in-show believes what is said

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

kdrudy posted:

It feels like her being able to push at a distance would be a much bigger deal so I'm skeptical of that, I don't think this show would give that subtle touch. I just think they were locked up and tortured by baseline humans and could buy into getting revenge. Especially since anyone working for the university seemed to be in on it.

I agree that it’s lazy, inconsistent writing. Like Golden Bee said, the show is hand waving all of it away on the basis of “she’s off her meds”. I expect that Sam and Cate being the “new Guardians” will be hand waved the same way next season (Cate wiped Ashley et al.’s memories)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

eighty-four merc posted:

Sometimes a speech is just a speech.

kdrudy posted:

:agreed: That and the show still goes out of it's way to show her having to touch people to push them, even if she's off her meds which were limiting her powers.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

eighty-four merc posted:

I expect that Sam and Cate being the “new Guardians” will be hand waved the same way next season (Cate wiped Ashley et al.’s memories)
Yeah, it’s a “new normal” that will probably be different by the end of S2 E1. Sam and Cate aren’t functional and they’re more rebellious than Homelander, who was able to be leashed for the first 25+ years of his life.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sometimes a speech is just a speech.

The show also makes a point of showing Sam’s eyes close and roll back when Cate makes eye contact with him during the speech. While she is giving him hands-on “help” later in the episode, he does the same thing. I think we were meant to interpret the speech as being something more than just a speech

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

kdrudy posted:

So Emma has a different mechanism to change size, I wonder if it's really just a weird mental thing that her mom being lovely she forced an ED to replicate.

I mean one of the main themes of all the supe character arcs is their relationship with self-harm to access their powers.

Marie and Emma start thinking they have to hurt themselves but find they have more control than that. Cate and Andre literally do hurt themselves to access their powers, and have to decide what that self-harm is worth. Jordan and Sam don't pay a physical price for using their powers but do pay an emotional one in terms of how people react to them. That's as close as what I got to an analysis. I liked the show, I liked this season overall, I think the finale dropped the ball a bit and relied on essentially being one long action sequence to mask the fact that there's a lot of scrambling to move everyone into the end places they decided they needed to be.

Also once again Anthony Starr completely steals an episode of a show he's in with a few seconds of moving his face about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is this going to be like the Mandalorian universe where each show is basically part of the other shows and the plots will mix? The end of this show seems like it would have big implications for the overall show universe. So are we going to see what has happened with the four main characters in the main show or will it just be ignored until season 2 of GenV? if they aren't going to intermix, then that pretty much means that any character from the main show can't really be harmed in GenV. It took the tension out of the scenes with that director guy because I knew he was a main show character and they probably weren't going to kill him off in the spinoff show.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They basically said that this show will hand off to the next season of The Boys which will hand off to season 2 of Gen V.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd be shocked if they killed any of the The Boys regulars in Gen V though, or did anyhring particularly interesting with them. Not while The Boys is still around.

Could see it going the other way though, but it wouldn't be anyone particularly significant.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think the director is such a pivotal character that they couldn't kill him in any drat show they please.

But yeah if series 4 had started with "Ashley died in another show, here's the new CEO" that would've been a bit lovely.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 5, 2023

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I loved Homelander showing up and just everything stopping while he just looks around and gets his bearings. Man has presence.

Butcher showing up in the credits to say "What a bunch of cunts," and smirk was so lazy and gratuitous though.

Marie getting a big moment to... draw up blood into some daggers to fling was lame when we already knew she could've stopped that guy's heart or exploded him at range anyway. The bit with sensing Maverick's blood was more impactful.

Wherever they are at the end, even if there's no door there was a bunch of metal, I'm pretty sure Andre could get them out of there if he tried. Like even if they're stuck under a few feet of bedrock, we saw him shape that quarter into a cute (razor sharp) bird earlier, he could totally make a drill and spin it real fast.

I am curious if the 'high frequency supe disabling noise' makes its way into the main show. Feels like it's a bit too easy a win button for Butcher to have his hands on.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Taking a couple times to get thru the ep. MIght give up on it. Took one of my breaks and a massive eye roll when the slave lab rat children were nilly willy killing ppl and were, really, the real bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zebulon posted:

That's the best interpretation I can manage. Homelander saw a bunch of supes murdering humans and supes harming, if not killing, those supes to protect humans and well it's not hard to figure out where modern Homelander is on opinions of such things.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense but it is superficially "a twist". Terrible end to a season which meant nothing and didn't have any particular reason to exist. Shame.