Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi Friends is there goon consensus recommended ergonomic keyboard?
  • I was looking at Ergodox EZ
  • Was hoping for something wireless (keyboard to computer) because I swap a lot between my home PC and my WFH laptop. Maybe I could just get a better docking setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the glove80 is a popular prebuilt one and it's wireless

ergos are very subjective though

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I’m a Kinesis fanboy so I can’t really give an impartial opinion. I also got mine customized by Upgrade Keyboards: https://upgradekeyboards.com

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sphere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5XrOCwNpo

He even adds an accelerometer to it at the end so it can be a mouse and keyboard.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Just got the new Keychron keyboard, feels great and it's like 10x heavier than any other keyboard I've ever used... Switches feel great (I think they're the gateron pro browns?), the only thing I hate is the horrid RGB system lol

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I also just got a new Keychron, V6 in my case and I like it a lot except that I also hate the RGBs, but it almost feels like a board you just turn them off and forget about them. For now I am just leaving them on a kind of dim red.

The spacebar is the only key I don't really like. I think I saw people mention having to mess with the stabilizer bits on them to get them sounding better.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oldest keyboard on my pending GB list delivered.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
... function row but no number row?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

worst of both worlds imo

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oldest keyboard on my pending GB list delivered.

drat, that is gorgeous. A+ color scheme, too.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi Friends is there goon consensus recommended ergonomic keyboard?
  • I was looking at Ergodox EZ
  • Was hoping for something wireless (keyboard to computer) because I swap a lot between my home PC and my WFH laptop. Maybe I could just get a better docking setup.

I think an USB switch would be a more convenient solution. Either a separate device, through your monitor or some other method.

I see two problems with the wireless keyboard. There are wireless keyboards, but you also need a keyboard that supports several computers wirelessly and method to switch between them, that would probably limit your selection quite a bit. Or a keyboard that support both wireless and USB cable. Like the Blackstorm RGB Mech 2021 I bought for my niece, works with BT and USB and has a switch under the keyboard, but that is not the most convenient location.

Wireless keyboard would also solve the problem for the keyb, how about your mouse and other devices you might want to switch, like printer?

I use an Aten US424 4-device switch for swapping my keyboard and mice between home computer and two work laptops. I also have an USB microphone for online meetings I could route through the switch. The Aten has a separate switch button behind a long cable I have put next to my keyboard and I can put the actual switch where it's convenient for the cables. Two minor annoyances. I need to press the button 3 times to switch from my main work laptop to my home computer while looking at the indicator LEDs on the switch. And I'm unable to wake my computer through the switch if I have swapped between computers. So I suspend my computers for the night. In the morning I switch to my work laptop. After work I switch back to home computer but I can't wake it with the keyboard, I need to use the power button or a mouse attached directly to the home computer.

You also have software solutions like Synergy for sharing keyboard and mouse, but you may not be able to install it on the WFH laptop or your work wouldn't allow it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

well why not posted:

worst of both worlds imo

excellent choice.
also, nice Goobear <3

Gearman posted:

drat, that is gorgeous. A+ color scheme, too.

Thanks! I can't wait for GMK Camping to show up.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

What's the best place for me to get LEDs for my next keyboard through? Mechanicalkeyboards.com has a section for them, but it's empty at the moment. I need to order some stabilizers too, so getting both in one shipment would be nice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I know each of these Chinese keyboard manufacturers has their own conventions, but any chance anyone knows why my keyboard has the F2 key permanently highlighted (different color than the rest of the keys)?

https://ltcofficial.com/products/ltc-nb831-wireless-75-triple-mode-hot-swappable-mechanical-keyboard

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It seems the LED is faulty, because it looks like it's ignoring the blue component of the RGB code. When set to green, red, or yellow (no blue component) it doesn't stand out.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Finally trying out a Wooting 60, feels weird as hell after using the GMMK pro with Boba tactiles and MT3 keycaps for so long.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yerok posted:

Finally trying out a Wooting 60, feels weird as hell after using the GMMK pro with Boba tactiles and MT3 keycaps for so long.

It's pretty great. I also tried out Corsair's magnetic board and with the actuation point set to the minimum it feels so intuitive to use

change my name fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 28, 2023

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm pleasantly surprised by how it sounds in the acrylic tofu redux and yeah being able to dial in actuation distance/rapid trigger feels really cool for counter strafing in cs

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
got a glove80 with red pro chocs. just great, but how long does it take to get fast at typing again?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone do anything clever or fun with their key lighting/coloring?

So far I've highlighted WASD, and color coded the function row according to my AHK shortcuts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

of course there's an online utility for keycap color design, why wouldn't there be

https://keyboardsimulator.xyz/

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Need goons to vicariously live through

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4?variant=41877334720717

173% Keyboard.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
As awesome as it is,

is a real hard pill to swallow. Especially since there may be import taxes/duties on top of it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Yeah it looks funny but I'm not committing to the bit at that price tag, unfortunately

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
fake keyboard enthusiasts

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Yeah it looks funny but I'm not committing to the bit at that price tag, unfortunately

same, if i were some stupidly overpaid computer toucher I might be able to justify it but nah

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

ziasquinn posted:

Need goons to vicariously live through

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4?variant=41877334720717

173% Keyboard.

Chyrosran22 did a review on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQo1es1Ihbs

Have another ridiculous keyboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzCwbLuTO4

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

to celebrate my new job where I have to type a bunch in an office I decided to buy a keyboard, ended up with a B-stock polycarbonate M0LLY. I bought some 1.3mm LEDs for the switches, too, but they don't seem to... fit? in the holes on the M0LLY case where the indicator lights go. it looks like they need to go further up into the top housing, so that they're flush - right now the little rectangular "rim" at the bottom of the LED blocks it from going further. do I need a smaller LED? or is it not intended to be flush? the one build guide I've seen so far he didn't even bother with them, so I'm not 100% sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone use a mixture of switches on the same keyboard?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I'll probably end up doing this for fun on my ESC key or something since I can swap them on my keydous.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Just tried box whites for the first time. Don't think I'll ever go back to blues. Feels so good!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The furthest I went was putting heavier springs on my modifier switches and lighter ones on the alphas.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Rinkles posted:

The Esc key on my blue-switch keyboard became a brown switch when tea got spilled on it. That count?

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I’ve heard of people using blue switches for the Caps/Num lock keys.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Is there a database of different switches, hopefully with links to knowledgeable reviews? I would like to avoid dealing with customs and buy them locally or on the EU side, but I can't remember what kind Glorious Panda or Akko CS Matcha Green are or if they are any good.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Is there a database of different switches, hopefully with links to knowledgeable reviews? I would like to avoid dealing with customs and buy them locally or on the EU side, but I can't remember what kind Glorious Panda or Akko CS Matcha Green are or if they are any good.
ThereminGoat's review archive and force curve database is probably one of the best single resources for this https://www.theremingoat.com/

mewse
May 2, 2006

death cob for cutie posted:

to celebrate my new job where I have to type a bunch in an office I decided to buy a keyboard, ended up with a B-stock polycarbonate M0LLY. I bought some 1.3mm LEDs for the switches, too, but they don't seem to... fit? in the holes on the M0LLY case where the indicator lights go. it looks like they need to go further up into the top housing, so that they're flush - right now the little rectangular "rim" at the bottom of the LED blocks it from going further. do I need a smaller LED? or is it not intended to be flush? the one build guide I've seen so far he didn't even bother with them, so I'm not 100% sure.

It sounds like you got the wrong LEDs, the ones i’ve used don’t have a rim at the base

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DeusIgnis posted:

I’ve heard of people using blue switches for the Caps/Num lock keys.

Yeah I do that, with the idea that it's more easy to notice if I hit them by accident. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, but I'm also not really seeing a negative effect. I'm also using different weighted switches for the alphanumeric keys and for modifier keys etc.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Rinkles posted:

I usually do because I don’t buy enough switches for a board. But for my Halo75 where my board is all the same switches except for a 100g caps lock switch and a tactile ESC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I use switches with lower travel distance on my spacebar and sometimes backspace. I like the quicker actuation and thud sound but not on all my keys.