Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
On the other side of it, I used a trackball (both versions posted above) for well over a decade and developed a strain over time that was resolved by switching back to a regular mouse. Trackballs can be horrible for tennis elbow/early onset arthritis

But gods I miss my trackball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

How do you like that spaceship mouse?

they're ok. I prefer thumb trackballs, but there are several of these ones around the house so I just used it

agreed that they are great for small spaces. I've been using one most of the time for years now. pretty good for image editing and stuff but maybe not amazing for FPS games. or I'm just too old lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the magic trackpad is the absolute best input device ever made (assuming you are using macos which is designed around it)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Apple痴 touchpads aren稚 for my hands, but I sure love my Logi MX Ergo Advanced trackball.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

benisntfunny posted:

I just picked up two TOPSKY frames. I planned originally to slap on my Husky workbench tops on there but then ended up just buying new butcher block tops from a store and spending twice as much on the project as I wanted to. If you have a solid wood top I'd also recommend some threaded wood inserts instead of screwing the desk directly into the wood.

https://a.co/d/6DV7bvR

Weird question, what size is your office? I知 finally selling my current house and moving into a house that will have a dedicated office space (10x8) and I知 struggling to work out the space.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

MasterOfDemons posted:

Weird question, what size is your office? I知 finally selling my current house and moving into a house that will have a dedicated office space (10x8) and I知 struggling to work out the space.

This office is.... 10x8 😱

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

witness my splendor

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suspect A posted:

witness my splendor

I'd rather blaze my glory :smuggo:

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

benisntfunny posted:

This office is.... 10x8 😱

Well thats awesome hahahaha. Hopefully will be moving into the house mid-Nov so will share some pictures. It was previously a pantry/utility room so I have to work out some pipe hiding and moving something around. There's also a closet directly behind the office that it likely not going to be used so I may knock that down and get another like 2 feet out of it.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I ordered the Humanscale M10 Dual Monitor stand and I have never wanted to return something so fast. I really regret not going with an Ergotron.

All the parts with white finish arrived with a light smearing of grease or something dark on them. Assembly was incredibly easy, everything that was promised. Adjustment was another matter, no amount of adjusting tension points allowed me to move any part of it. The dual monitor bar would angle down depending on the orientation of the rest of the arm and because I couldn't adjust the part it hinges on I couldn't fix it. Eventually I gave up and just went to mount my displays with the intent to adjust later when I have the energy and interest. As soon as I got my first monitor mounted I realized my second monitor wouldn't fit, both of them being ultrawide. This parts my fault for not doing the math on the dimensions, just weight. I would guess if I got the triple monitor arm it might work, but by this point I'd lost all interest in keeping it. Even with one monitor mounted it felt incredibly shaky, much more so than the $80 no-name brand I got from amazon.

Before I eat this restocking fee, does anyone in this thread use an M10? Am I missing anything obvious? Following the printed instructions didn't help adjusting tension and the PDF from Humanscales website wasn't much better. Right now I have the feeling this is a great product when installed professionally in office settings but less so when left to the average consumer. But maybe I'm just dumb and missing something??

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Can't really help, as I don't make enough money to purchase products from companies with "Human" in the name :v:

That being said, I am 99% certain that the Amazon Basics monitor arms are just rebadged Ergotrons (iirc the most recent one I bought had Ergotron stamped right on it) and they've been fine.

IMO, don't even bother loving with dual arms and just get as many single arms as you need - all the flexibility you will ever need with none of the hassle.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I like Vivo products, have had two monitor stands (a single and then a double) and a keyboard tray (I know, I know).

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Since my breakup I had to move my home office from the corner of my home gym into the corner of my tiny apartment's living room, but I think it still looks decent:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sick desk mat where'd you get it?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I see it all the time under different brands on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/JIALONG-Exten...C68&sr=8-6&th=1

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zarin posted:

That being said, I am 99% certain that the Amazon Basics monitor arms are just rebadged Ergotrons (iirc the most recent one I bought had Ergotron stamped right on it) and they've been fine.

I have an Amazon basics arm for my desk, but bought an Ergotron for my wife. The only apparent difference I could find was that some parts of the Ergotron arm had a nicer finish.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

I see it all the time under different brands on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/JIALONG-Exten...C68&sr=8-6&th=1
This the one I ordered in April and is the correct one to buy. Others might use a Mercator projection, which is bad, or have a bad color scheme.

US link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BB7836PW/

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Nice thanks for setting me straight

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

Nice thanks for setting me straight

username made me laugh

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

24 hours later and the house of Bezos had it on my doorstep. Thanks again!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Put a good six hours into cleaning and reorganizing my home office yesterday. It was very therapeutic.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
My favorite part of that office is all the greenery. My home office is in my basement and I could probably get away with a couple little low light plants but could never do what you've got going on there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dema posted:

Put a good six hours into cleaning and reorganizing my home office yesterday. It was very therapeutic.

I like ur plants.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

dema posted:

Looks great! Is that two-keyboard setup a split between home and work? Or do multiple people sit at the desk?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Thanks! Yeah, work on the left, personal/gaming on the right.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dema posted:

Thanks! Yeah, work on the left, personal/gaming on the right.

I respect the clear separation here, my setup is clearly "I'm on my personal computer and my work computer is to the side i guess".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I would love to have real plants but mine are all plastic. My youngest cat is drawn to them like moth to flame - no matter what. She normally never jumps on counters but we learned if we bring a plant home she's up there trying to munch it. Great workspace!! I used to have that monitor - it's solid!

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I would love to have real plants but mine are all plastic. My youngest cat is drawn to them like moth to flame - no matter what. She normally never jumps on counters but we learned if we bring a plant home she's up there trying to munch it. Great workspace!! I used to have that monitor - it's solid!

I know the feeling. I have to strategically place mine, and the cats still find a way to chomp them... Still planning to add some more real plants, we'll see how that goes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I respect the clear separation here, my setup is clearly "I'm on my personal computer and my work computer is to the side i guess".
The way I handle this is to use a Henge Dock with two MacBook Air M1s, one for work and one for personal. When I知 done for the day I pull out the work computer and put in the personal computer (or ideally just go for a walk.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

weird thing to bump the thread about, but going back to the first dozen pages is amazing; there's square monitors, polycarb macbooks, all sorts of silver era charm.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Whoa 2008 this thread is oooooold

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

klen dool posted:

Whoa 2008 this thread is oooooold

C'mon, don't be so dramatic, it's only 5 years ago...

wait what

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

well why not posted:

weird thing to bump the thread about, but going back to the first dozen pages is amazing; there's square monitors, polycarb macbooks, all sorts of silver era charm.

when I found this thread I went through every page and enjoyed the trip through time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

well why not posted:

Is there a way to look at some of the missing waffleimages links?
I know that there was an effort to recover the images at some point.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

~Coxy posted:

Is there a way to look at some of the missing waffleimages links?
I know that there was an effort to recover the images at some point.

I believe that all recovered waffleimages images are hosted by SA now and the URLs are all fixed. If it doesn't load, then the image was lost to the sands of time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

well why not posted:

It's really amazing how much things have changed in the five years this thread has existed :eyepop:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
posting our r/battlestations now that this cabinet finally showed up after like 3 months:

alternative cat selection:

gonna have to wait for the murphy bed to show up before we decide if the rug is too small

and before anyone asks, the sumi-e goatse is in the hallway

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i can't even be mad at that.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Wait, you own a chair that's not an embody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

runawayturtles posted:

Wait, you own a chair that's not an embody?

I mean, it's an Aeron and an Embody so--