Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

harrygomm posted:

Hello new-to-me forum and thread. I'm looking into getting a gamecube working as a surprise gift for a friend. All I know right now is that it isn't leaking, the top opens, and it doesn't spark when I plug it in. We have no monitors or TVs between us that can natively view its output.

While I'd like to get the original hardware in a working state, I guess I'm looking firstly for a sanity check: are there any major roadblocks, financially or technically, that would make it a stupid idea to try to get this hardware running in particular vs. emulation or an alternative/repro/third party solution? There's some nostalgia in using their old hardware but In not looking to spend significantly more time or money rehabbing than an equivalent existing solution would take. Any guides on common failure point stuff for older hardware I can use to determine if this hardware is worth the trouble of salvaging or not?

Is there anything obviously wrong with it? Might be worth just getting a cheap composite to HDMI adapter just to see if it works. From there, it's an effort and cost to output continuum. There's two major things with GameCubes, booting games from SD and HDMI output.

If you have a digital video port, GCVideo devices can be gotten on AliExpress for 40ish bucks and do a dang good job. Depending on soldering tolerance, Picoboot modding looks pretty easy, if you want a Swiss solution for loading games on the cheap. Otherwise, there's save exploits to boot into it.

I'm on the other extreme and have a GCLoader, which is great and has generally better compatibility and performance. Other options are getting closer, though. Had Picoboot been an option when I did mine, I might have gone for it, though. My setup also features a Carby for HDMI and a BlueRetro controller board replacement for Bluetooth controller pairing. There's a lot of options.

I think the bang for your buck is some sort of GC Video device if it's a DOL-001 and Picoboot. Get it on a TV and into Swiss and you're most of the way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The most economic way to do HD GameCube stuff with actually reasonable video quality would probably just be to buy a cheap Mini-PC and emulate it(and would also be able to emulate a whole bunch of other things alongside everything else one can use a small reasonably capable computer for)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Azubah posted:

You should reach out to Otter, he does a bunch stuff on gamecubes.

Someone from the previous thread I barged into linked this and it's seeming like it might be my best bet because

Echophonic posted:

Is there anything obviously wrong with it? Might be worth just getting a cheap composite to HDMI adapter just to see if it works. From there, it's an effort and cost to output continuum. There's two major things with GameCubes, booting games from SD and HDMI output.

If you have a digital video port, GCVideo devices can be gotten on AliExpress for 40ish bucks and do a dang good job. Depending on soldering tolerance, Picoboot modding looks pretty easy, if you want a Swiss solution for loading games on the cheap. Otherwise, there's save exploits to boot into it.

I'm on the other extreme and have a GCLoader, which is great and has generally better compatibility and performance. Other options are getting closer, though. Had Picoboot been an option when I did mine, I might have gone for it, though. My setup also features a Carby for HDMI and a BlueRetro controller board replacement for Bluetooth controller pairing. There's a lot of options.

I think the bang for your buck is some sort of GC Video device if it's a DOL-001 and Picoboot. Get it on a TV and into Swiss and you're most of the way there.

looks like the unit is a DOL-101(USA) with no digital out. Nothing obviously wrong otherwise though, I just can't get a lot of hands time on with it atm to check on stuff like powering up.

i think i could handle the soldering without issue, assuming i can find my kit, but i don't know that they're really interested in use of the console much beyond playing the games they have on disc on a modern TV. i've not looked into this kinda stuff in a long time though, so i thought it might still be required to crack the case to get digital out like some older consoles used to.

i'll have to feel out a bit more what kind of time i can get with it and what shape it and its accessories are in. might be worth modding things like bluetooth controllers just for modernities sake.

thanks all for the direction

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I use a GCPrism to hook up my GameCube via HDMI, and one of the first things to piss me off was how my Onkyo blacked out the display for 5 seconds every time I died in Rogue Leader because Factor 5 decided to change the display resolution of the death sequences.

I haven’t tried hooking up the GameCube to the tink5x, which I assume will fix that mess. But it is disappointing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I use a GCPrism to hook up my GameCube via HDMI, and one of the first things to piss me off was how my Onkyo blacked out the display for 5 seconds every time I died in Rogue Leader because Factor 5 decided to change the display resolution of the death sequences.

I haven’t tried hooking up the GameCube to the tink5x, which I assume will fix that mess. But it is disappointing.

I bought a HDMI->Component adapter that I run my Carby through to the 5x and it looks great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You can actually get a GCvideo adapter for $25 now on Ali:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804846987854.html
(there's currently a sale that should take $4 off that at checkout)

Anyone that has a DOL-001 should definitely pick up an HDMI adapter now that they're affordable. It's such a huge improvement in video quality.

harrygomm posted:

Someone from the previous thread I barged into linked this and it's seeming like it might be my best bet because

looks like the unit is a DOL-101(USA) with no digital out. Nothing obviously wrong otherwise though, I just can't get a lot of hands time on with it atm to check on stuff like powering up.

i think i could handle the soldering without issue, assuming i can find my kit, but i don't know that they're really interested in use of the console much beyond playing the games they have on disc on a modern TV. i've not looked into this kinda stuff in a long time though, so i thought it might still be required to crack the case to get digital out like some older consoles used to.

i'll have to feel out a bit more what kind of time i can get with it and what shape it and its accessories are in. might be worth modding things like bluetooth controllers just for modernities sake.

thanks all for the direction
Modding gamecube is fun. Having Swiss installed lets you force widescreen and 480p on practically any game. There are also bluetooth adapters that simply plug in, if you want an easier/cheaper option.

Modding a DOL-101 is kind of bittersweet, though. I'd encourage you to look into getting a 001 if you're going to go the modding route.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
Anyone else buy a 5x when they came out and just have it sitting in the box somewhere? I have a handfull of old crts, but I still wanted to grab a 5x... Just in case...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I accidentally bought two remotes for mine, I think I was confused that it came with one? So I have an extra remote and remote decal sitting around somewhere that I've never used. I've thought about trying to sell it or give it away but now they've got that new fancy remote, I dunno if anyone would even want it for postage.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Waldo138 posted:

Anyone else buy a 5x when they came out and just have it sitting in the box somewhere? I have a handfull of old crts, but I still wanted to grab a 5x... Just in case...

I wish I had that kind of disposable income lmao

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Waldo138 posted:

Seems like a waste and you should send it to me who doesn't have any CRT hooked because who has space for that sort of thing anymore?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The only thing I'm not happy with is my Carby isn't updatable without a JTAG programmer, since it's a little older. Might be worth getting a cheap one on Ali, while the 11.11 sale is ongoing, but I have no idea if something like a USB Blaster will work.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you ever send anything to MonitorBurn to get modded, he has a JTAG programmer and can update it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been considering getting my GG recapped, that's a good idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I need to find time to do mine.

Is the Game Gear the least essential "major" gaming platform out there? It's like the "ignore handhelds" storm merged with the "ignore Sega" storm and it's drowning in bad capacitors.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Most of the good Game Gear games got Master System ports or were MS ports themselves, so yeah probably.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

njsykora posted:

Most of the good Game Gear games got Master System ports or were MS ports themselves, so yeah probably.

Isn’t GG just a small MS?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Yeah you could even get a cartridge adapter to play MS games on it I think

Other than it being a voracious battery eater the only thing I really remember about the game gear is being young and stupid enough to think I broke it one time when I accidentally set the screen brightness all the way to maximum with the little wheel on the side

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah you could even get a cartridge adapter to play MS games on it I think

Other than it being a voracious battery eater the only thing I really remember about the game gear is being young and stupid enough to think I broke it one time when I accidentally set the screen brightness all the way to maximum with the little wheel on the side

Aside from a different screen resolution, the GG had more colours it could use. In fact, didn’t it have more available than the Genesis? (Total, if not onscreen colours)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not entirely. Resolution is smaller and it somehow has a higher color count (better hardware), so it's actually incompatible the other way around. So, it could read SMS carts with an adapter (by cutting off some of the resolution), but the other way around wasn't possible since the Master System couldn't handle the extra colors, thus the few GG games that got backported to the Master System (usually by Tectoy years later) had a significant image quality difference.

Also the GameGear still has some pretty cool exclusives that were not available to its sister device. Things like Fatal Fury Special, Crystal Warriors, three Shining Force games, the Aleste games, and more.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 15, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Even with the more limited palette the Master System ports are better just for the screen space, I hated the one time I tried playing Sonic 2 MS on a Game Gear after years of playing it on Master System.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Almost. It has a lower resolution, naturally, but it has a much larger colour palette. Could still only show like 16 of them at a time, but there were more options.

SMS (64 colours):

GG (4096 colours):

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Is anyone in western WA looking for a lot of universal game cases? I have ~70 or so, maybe more, that I’d like to offload.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My dad would get mad at me if he saw me playing it in the house without the AC adapter lol

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Anyone have any leads where I can look at scans of the maps/charts posters included with RPGs and whatnot? I know where to find those for the NES Dragon Quest games, but I'm specifically looking for Breath of Fire SNES (it came with two of them). An archive.org search turned up nothing, and google only seems to show scalpers trying to sell original copies.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Anyone have any leads where I can look at scans of the maps/charts posters included with RPGs and whatnot? I know where to find those for the NES Dragon Quest games, but I'm specifically looking for Breath of Fire SNES (it came with two of them). An archive.org search turned up nothing, and google only seems to show scalpers trying to sell original copies.

Replacement Docs is the site.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Echophonic posted:

I should do the same but I'm kinda scared after I did a lovely job on my Lynx. Which was already dead but I think it's 50/50 that I damaged it further so :ohdear:

I was looking into finally getting some sealed Lynx games this year before they creep up in price any further. There were a bunch of titles that used to be $10 or under.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm also basically waiting for a good Nomad screen. Some of the recent ones seem nice, but not quite as clean as I'd want. Also I'm not huge on one-way swaps, even if I know I'll never go back to the original screen.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The GG is a timebomb from what I understand. I'm afraid to open mine up and see the damage. Seems like a difficult thing to recap too from all the videos I've watched because of the weird packaging they used for the capacitors.

I loved playing Ecco on it back in the day, but I always plugged in the A/C adapter.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

More limited edition pockets are coming, the yellow and pink ones look killer

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

More limited edition pockets are coming, the yellow and pink ones look killer

As much as I like Extreme Green stuff, the old Play it Loud colors are still pretty sick. I still have my green Game Boy Pocket and might take a shot at one of these.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I never buy anything that doesn't come in atomic purple.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I can tell you do not get a GCHD Mk2. I got one because the official component cables cost a kings ransom and I thought it would be nice to have an HDMI option.

It does not secure itself on to the ‘cube well at all. It will invariably come loose during some critical gameplay and drop the image completely until you fiddle with it a bunch to get it fully plugged back in. I hate it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I can tell you do not get a GCHD Mk2. I got one because the official component cables cost a kings ransom and I thought it would be nice to have an HDMI option.

It does not secure itself on to the ‘cube well at all. It will invariably come loose during some critical gameplay and drop the image completely until you fiddle with it a bunch to get it fully plugged back in. I hate it

This will happen during Eternal Darkness and you'll just be extra confused.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

emSparkly posted:

I never buy anything that doesn't come in atomic purple.

They did that one last month

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I definitely remember the Game Gear being portable only in the sense that I'd only really play it anywhere that had a free outlet for the AC adapter, even though I had a couple rechargeable battery packs. It's a neat handheld for its technical capability, but hampered by its limited resolution and library these days.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1016585866/nintendo-gamecube-dol-001-support

Get yourself one of these.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

fwiw there's a 3d brace you could print to alleviate the sagging
https://www.printables.com/model/79229-gamecube-gc-video-support-brace-for-carby-prism-an

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Random Stranger posted:

I need to find time to do mine.

Is the Game Gear the least essential "major" gaming platform out there? It's like the "ignore handhelds" storm merged with the "ignore Sega" storm and it's drowning in bad capacitors.

I had a Game Boy, my best friend had a Game Gear and another close friend had a Lynx when we were growing up and I would probably put Game Gear on the bottom of the pile. I checked out the Game Gear library a couple of years ago though and there are some great games. It's got 2 great Jurassic Park games, the Aleste shmups, Streets of Rage 2 was a pretty good port and Fatal Fury Special was great.

I feel like people sleep on the Lynx, lots of cool/good arcade ports.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
GameCube controllers are different enough from the usual PlayStation / Xbox setups that I never really liked using Dolphin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Lynx is great, best version of APB, home of chips challenge