Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UnleashedDad posted:

What do you mean by wack pack buddies?

Biggest shock to me was Slaughter getting in since I thought he was mostly seen as a guy who had a hot period then just succumbed to being a GI Joe gimmick and weird Hogan villain briefly. Roman not getting in is also funny but it is probably because like someone said, they don't want active wrestlers in unless it is like an Okada or Cena case.

Dave's real life and podcasting friends and people who do menial tasks for him. There are of course new people who deserved it and got it, but a lot of people that got ballots when the voter base dramatically expanded were just nice to Dave or did him favors.

Meanwhile he excludes people who dared to politely correct him on stories. (Not talking about myself we know I am not polite to Dave.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kennel posted:

Added to next year’s ballot: Asuka/Kana WWE, Zane Bresloff, Psycho Clown, El Dandy, George Gordienko, Gran Hamada, Samoa Joe, Kento Miyahara, Cody Rhodes, Yoshihiro Takayama, Kevin Owens, Zack Sabre Jr., Mascarita Sagrada, Usos, Volador Jr., Koichi Yoshizawa, Bray Wyatt, Sami Zayn

I was going to say that half this list is insane but the funniest possible thing is that someone decided we need to have a serious hall of fame discussion about the guy who hasn't finished the story yet

Then I noticed The Usos

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TOUGH & HARD

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm not sure I'd have voted for Ishii but I'm glad he's gone in.

I think if I had a vote I'd probably end up being one of those annoying people who doesn't vote in active wrestlers. Or at least full-timers.

Gran Hamada feels like he should already be in.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

if big daddy isnt in its not a hall of fame, its a hall of very good that people lie about

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
glad that Ishii's in and Randy Orton isn't

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

lol seth

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

RealityWarCriminal posted:

glad that Ishii's in and Randy Orton isn't

blandy boreton should never be in the hof and batista should be

Ok thanks bye

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Bucks not getting in is crazy. Ishii getting in rules.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Ishii’s one of those ones that even if people don’t think he should be, everyone goes along with it because he’s so respected and awesome

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

bucks and roman failing to get in is hilarious. great result

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm happy Ishii got in but voters still hating on DragonGate despite its style being super influential to current in ring style and doing good business is sad. Cima and Shingo should have gone in before Ishii though I guess Cima has to deal with active wrestlers probably hating him

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kennel posted:

Big Daddy 45.0%
C.M. Punk 44.0%

Punk outvoted by Big Daddy

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

who’s your daddy punk ahahahaha

?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

Meanwhile he excludes people who dared to politely correct him on stories. (Not talking about myself we know I am not polite to Dave.)
Who's been blackballed out of voting? I don't know which polite corrections you're talking about but the big one I recall was the whole Nosawa/DG thing, and everyone from VoW and Bix appear to have voted and shared their ballots publicly.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ishii got in on the old metric of Best Workrate, like Benoit's reputation was even when he wasn't at the top*

*yes WCW gave him the belt in the hopes he wouldn't jump ship but that doesn't really count and he got in without his WWE top run happening either

Sometimes a Hall of Famer is being that loving good for that loving long.

Dave Steib hall of fame when.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Who's been blackballed out of voting? I don't know which polite corrections you're talking about but the big one I recall was the whole Nosawa/DG thing, and everyone from VoW and Bix appear to have voted and shared their ballots publicly.

Bix isn't the person who was giving those corrections, but yes one of the people is related to that. Dave was given guidance on that before the first story came out and then for months after. I believe they never had a vote despite being obviously qualified for it because there has been tension with Meltzer's reporting previously.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
- bucks/roman/punk not getting in is the funniest and therefore best result. Bucks/Roman should get in next year or year after based on momentum which sounds about right
- trish stratus being stuck at 11% for the third (I think) straight year, so clearly it's the exact same rusted on voters and nobody else is ever gonna be convinced, is kinda hilarious too
- Orton being #1 among retired wrestlers, but not ranking in the top 30 in any other category, and getting 31% of the vote is both amazing and tells us how much of the voter pool is retired wrestlers. Likewise Hayabusa being #3 among active wrestlers but not ranking top 30 in any other category and getting 23%
- Hall & Nash's entry needs to be rechristened as The NWO (maybe add Hogan... are the NWO already in?) and then their position makes sense because them as an actual tag team is CLEARLY not a HOF act (less than 50 total matches as a pair) but I suspect everyone voting for them is voting for them because of the importance of the overall angle
- Bobby Davis 100% should be in

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think to be fair the bias against Dragongate in WOR voting is probably more to do with the older reporters than the new voters Dave has brought in, especially since it feels like a lot of the ties/sources he has in Japan feel like the type that only sees New Japan/Pre exodus All Japan/All Japan Woman/Noah pre Misawa death as major companies. Why i think any future Stardom candidates will be interesting to see how they do

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Moxley only getting 13% is the real story, along with Seth failing to break 10% imo.

I don't see either of them improving their resumes anytime soon.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Moxley being so low shocks me as he has a pretty decent case already but given AEW sees him as a big star I expect he'll build on it.

Seth can't really get past the fact he's a champion just cause Roman wants to work less dates

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
WOR HOF voters are Cornette-brained and so don’t like the bucks or mox.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Moxley only getting 13% is the real story, along with Seth failing to break 10% imo.

I don't see either of them improving their resumes anytime soon.

nah those both make total sense. modern WWE guys have the problem of struggling to prove they're the one driving business rather than the company itself, which is also why Edge/Orton with a similar "main eventer for ages in the top company" case get stuck where they are. They need time so people look back and say "oh yeah they were a great of that era", in the same way a top-10 but not No.1-in-the-sport baseball player wouldn't get elected to their HOF two thirds of the way through their career, but would/could at the end of it.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I am very happy that Ishii got in, Shingo will probably get in next year, and I feel like the Bucks and Mox are not if but when.

I'm very interested to see how ZSJ does next year. I don't think he's first ballot HOF, but I have no doubt he ends up in eventually.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm very interested to see how ZSJ does next year. I don't think he's first ballot HOF, but I have no doubt he ends up in eventually.

I don't think he'll get in next year either but considering the guy has a solid claim to greatest technical wrestler of all time it definitely feels like a when and not an if.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

This is not a headline. This is the blurb for today's extremely on time deadlock

quote:

Deep into the New Generation, WWF decided to rage war on WCW and rename Monday Night Raw to RAW IS WAR! This is the very first episode, before we get to the Attitude Era later in the year. They have a new presentation, including new graphics and a brand new stage. WrestleMania 13 is a couple weeks away and Sid Vicious is WWF Champion. Before he defends his World Wrestling Federation Championship against The Undertaker, they team up to take on Vader and Mankind in the main event. Also, Paul Heyman and ECW are here for “The Great Debate” with Jerry “The King” Lawler. Stone Cold and Bret Hart prepare for their I Quit match at WrestleMania as Jim Ross interviews the special guest referee Ken Shamrock. Plus, The DEADLOCK Q&A returns!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
They keep telling is that this episode of raw is the worst episode of raw ever

I need them to watch the zz top raw

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I need them to watch the zz top raw
pretty sure the boys would rather quit the podcast before willingly subjecting themselves to a 3 hour raw.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Bix isn't the person who was giving those corrections, but yes one of the people is related to that. Dave was given guidance on that before the first story came out and then for months after. I believe they never had a vote despite being obviously qualified for it because there has been tension with Meltzer's reporting previously.
I would say that Dave might be more reticent to give someone a ballot if they're not on good terms (and even then he still might do it), but he definitely not going to take a ballot away for not being on good terms with him.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I'll be honest. The idea of Dave having "wack packers" he gives HOF ballots to sounds a lot more like bitchy bitterness than reality.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I'll be honest. The idea of Dave having "wack packers" he gives HOF ballots to sounds a lot more like bitchy bitterness than reality.

Sorry, it's reality.

This is a guy who let's his friends host their terrible shows on his network, agrees to NFT deals with them, and prints completely baseless stuff to try to help his friend Matt Riddle. Imagine not thinking it's reality that the huge increase in ballots often went to people in that circle.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 21, 2023

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

This is a guy who let's his friends host their terrible shows on his network, agrees to NFT deals with them, and prints completely baseless stuff to try to help his friend Matt Riddle.

I think we're supposed to lie and say all that stuff's virtuous.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t care about any of that stuff

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Was listening to a slightly older episode of Talk is Jericho with Adam Copeland from right when he debuted in AEW and in it he talked about The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever™. I wasn't watching when that happened but it sounds to me like it was basically Vince tossing them some insane idea with no real explanation ("Build to something I can bill as The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever dammit") and Edge and Orton had to figure out what it was supposed to mean. The idea they came up with was that it was a giant tribute match to all kinds of eras and wrestling styles, and apparently the 48-minute time was a one-take they did and neither realized they went that long.

He then mentioned that after the match they filmed several pickup shots that in the end he didn't like - including a first-person RKO where he tore his tricep. Rough. And those pickup shots were included in the edit and in his words "I hated what they ended up showing, but Vince loved it. But when I watched the unedited footage, I loved it."

He then went on to say that the branding of the match was dumb because there's no such thing as one single Greatest Wrestling Match Ever but specifically shouted out Nick Bockwinkel and Terry Funk AJPW matches as his personal faves. He's so right for this.

Just thought these were fun little tidbits from the interview!

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 21, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The one thing I remember from "The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever" was that WWE itself declared in their end of year awards that "The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever" was like the 3rd best match of that year? :laugh:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wasn’t the whole thing also seemingly timed just because someone else had just had an absolute banger that was being hailed as the greatest match of all time

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I thought it was just SEO so when people (as they often do, probably) googled The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever, it would come up, like how the Elden Ring devs named the horse Torrent to defeat the pirates.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

The one thing I remember from "The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever" was that WWE itself declared in their end of year awards that "The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever" was like the 3rd best match of that year? :laugh:

it wasn't called the greatest wrestling match forever

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought it was just SEO so when people (as they often do, probably) googled The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever, it would come up, like how the Elden Ring devs named the horse Torrent to defeat the pirates.

Adam said that "we have YouTube" was part of the reasoning he was given, so, yeah probably. lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t care about any of that stuff