Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/animeserbia/status/1725336667899261271?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Power Loader vs Dump Truck

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

indigi posted:

almost done Children of Memory and I’m really enjoying it except that the Skipper's crew should all have super strength and speed. seems like an oversight for such a delicately planned and potentially dangerous infiltration mission, especially one they had to engineer specially-developed bodies for anyway

i mean they do have that but they also dont want to gently caress up the planet. it made sense to me in the end (although, while overall i thought the first two were better, this wasnt "as good")

recent books:

- kazuo ishiguro, the buried giant: elevator pitch is pseudo-arturian romance about memory and guilt, and how to deal with it on both sides. has dragons and ogres if youre into that. i liked it a lot!

- adrew skinner, steel frame: battle mechs getting dropped into some weird situation sounds cool even if humanoid mechs dont really feel like an effective shape but ok ill give it a shot. but theres a point early on where the main character, who pilots a death mech, gets really shook up cause another mech kills a mech pilot and im like okay maybe this one pilot is super honorable but apparently theres a code among mech pilots that you just let other pilots go and im like what, this is corporate cyberpunk lmao. so i didnt finish, it broke my suspsension of disbelief

- david yoon, city of orange: dude wakes up with no memory in a desolate post-apocalyptic cityscape. memories of a wife and child start to come back as he tries to survice. very good, probably the best of this crop together with ishiguro

- edward ashton, mickey7: expendable clone on a colony world meets a new life form, it was kinda trashy but i guess i dont regret reading it :geno:

- alexandra oliva, the last one: member of a survival reality show in the wilderness while a pandemic happens outside (or does there?? dun dun dun). i mostly liked it though some parts were a bit heavy-handed

- adam soto, this weightless world: signals from a new planet bring new hope for humanity, but will it last? multiple protagonists, very "online" so to speak, but not bad at all

- m.r. carey, infinity gate: earth scientist discoveres parallel universes, but theyre all part of an empire that stamps out newcomers. pretty solid, also worth reading

other recs obvs welcome :)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m sad about Liff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

indigi posted:

I’m sad about Liff

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

indigi posted:

I’m sad about Liff

yeah she's got a rough life

dont read unless you finished it but shes gonna be ok as a simulation :) (or rather, the simulation of her is gonna be okay. obvs shes still dead :()

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

i mean they do have that but they also dont want to gently caress up the planet. it made sense to me in the end (although, while overall i thought the first two were better, this wasnt "as good")

recent books:

- adrew skinner, steel frame: battle mechs getting dropped into some weird situation sounds cool even if humanoid mechs dont really feel like an effective shape but ok ill give it a shot. but theres a point early on where the main character, who pilots a death mech, gets really shook up cause another mech kills a mech pilot and im like okay maybe this one pilot is super honorable but apparently theres a code among mech pilots that you just let other pilots go and im like what, this is corporate cyberpunk lmao. so i didnt finish, it broke my suspsension of disbelief

they're all basically slaves and jockeys are in such high demand that they can just switch sides when captured

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

time to get back on my Le Guin bullshit

this book has some fantastic covers

and some.... other covers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is that the one where they make up all the words or something

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah she's got a rough life

dont read unless you finished it but shes gonna be ok as a simulation :) (or rather, the simulation of her is gonna be okay. obvs shes still dead :()

it all came out right in the end

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

indigi posted:

time to get back on my Le Guin bullshit

this book has some fantastic covers

and some.... other covers

i remember this being an incredibly sad book (i had the first cover)

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

maybe it wouldn't have been so sad if you had the last cover

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nice victim blaming :rolleyes:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

indigi posted:

is that the one where they make up all the words or something

Its all placenames, mainly from the UK but some global.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rotor posted:

having read the first three pages and knowing Le Guin's tendencies I can't say I’m surprised by that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pseudorandom name posted:

they're all basically slaves and jockeys are in such high demand that they can just switch sides when captured

everybody is slaves or military, and yea it did say that jockeys are in high demand, but thats all the more reason for a competing corp to kill your jockeys.

also they have neural implants and poo poo, they can killswitch most anybody who gets too far in the wrong direction from the shell

i guess im just too used to actual dystopias that this felt like the author didnt think it through. like maybe the narrator is honorable, or is used to fighting in some other place, alright i can work with that

but a universal unwritten rule to not kill jockeys who eject is absurd, it would require humanity to become more humane in the distant corporation-run cyberpunk future than we are now, but only in this single manner. in all other ways its more inhumane. cmon

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I haven’t read the book in a while but I think it all had to do with old rules of engagement agreed on by the big corps when they went in there. it was a very cold war sort of thing where they weren’t allowed to war crime in the open because it causes escalation that no one really wants. Remember that this is somewhat of a sideshow against the backdrop of the larger universe (more in the sequel) where the corps all have to tip toe around each other and bodies lead to uncomfortable questions and lack of deniability

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Read All Systems Red, a novel which starts the murderbot diary's series. Was OK, the short format really works to its advantage and made me want to read more novella length sci fi. I don't feel any need to read the other books as this seemed a perfect dose for exploring the main ideas (which are kind of fun!)

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I was thinking about another pass through the murderbot diaries, it wouldn't be my first or even my second, tbh.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Kaiju Preservation Society was cute, but Wesley Crusher is a little bombastic in his narration so the audiobook wasn't the best. smiling crying face at the fact I'm giving feeling good another pass, nothing says light reading like the seminal work on cognitive behavioral therapy.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

distortion park posted:

Read All Systems Red, a novel which starts the murderbot diary's series. Was OK, the short format really works to its advantage and made me want to read more novella length sci fi. I don't feel any need to read the other books as this seemed a perfect dose for exploring the main ideas (which are kind of fun!)

the 7th book in the series just came out recently!

(all of them are really good, imo)

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Elder Postsman posted:

the 7th book in the series just came out recently!

i'm currently 253rd in line in libby, but looks like my library just acquired a bunch more copies so should get it soon :toot:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the appletv monster show is p deece so far

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

go oooonnnnn...

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

you know what really sucks? the 90s outer limits. but that's ok, i'll keep watching that garbage

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

go oooonnnnn...

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt17220216/

watched 2 eps so far and its a lot of plot development but i am digging the vibe

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

well-read undead posted:

you know what really sucks? the 90s outer limits. but that's ok, i'll keep watching that garbage

yeah i remember really liking it back in the 90s and then a couple years ago i watched a couple of them and oof.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yup i watched those monster episodes and i gotta say, i am enjoying it

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

outer limits is a garbage enough show to begin with, and then they have the audacity, the sheer unmitigated gall to do a clip show? in an ANTHOLOGY SERIES??

what started out as curiosity has transformed into full on hatewatching

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

well-read undead posted:

outer limits is a garbage enough show to begin with, and then they have the audacity, the sheer unmitigated gall to do a clip show? in an ANTHOLOGY SERIES??

what are you watching it on? I could use some brain-dead background later while I transition my domain

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

shitface posted:

what are you watching it on? I could use some brain-dead background later while I transition my domain

prime, but i think they're on youtube too (with ads)

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

well-read undead posted:

prime, but i think they're on youtube too (with ads)

ty. I also have somewhat fond memories of them. will be fun checking them out. first, feet soaking. did a cross-city walk and my feet are all hosed up and my right ankle looks weirdly swollen and idk why :aaa:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
the only thing I remember of the outer limits reboot is some sort of mind prison designed by niles crane

it was cool and good

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

shitface posted:

ty. I also have somewhat fond memories of them. will be fun checking them out. first, feet soaking. did a cross-city walk and my feet are all hosed up and my right ankle looks weirdly swollen and idk why :aaa:

well if you want to keep your fond memories, it might be best to not revisit. which goes for most media consumed in your teens, but doubly so if it was in the 90s

hope your feet feel better!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

well-read undead posted:

it is amusing that they use the clip show to connect all the independent stories in the season to make them them take place together

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:

https://twitter.com/dailysimpsons/status/1726259322982924370

https://twitter.com/dailysimpsons/status/1726260742910021970

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
wow, linda ronstadt

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Improbable Lobster posted:

wow, linda ronstadt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

duz posted:

it is amusing that they use the clip show to connect all the independent stories in the season to make them them take place together

it is amusing, but also makes less than zero sense (perfect knowledge of the events on a spaceship where everyone died!) and just kinda goes nowhere. i'm curious if they'll ever revisit those plots again, since 2 of them are left unresolved, but uhh... i'm guessing not

i will say that so far the first 2 episodes of season 2 seem markedly higher quality. still bad writing, hammy acting, absurd setups and all that, but the production is more competent and there's less highschool play-esque shout-acting going on. seems like their budget was increased