Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Although I made a sacred plate enigma this ladder so style trumps all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
yep its really win more with few benefits. in situ casters aren't going to be using the defense or the extra str so if you can get one other better stat from gloves or whatever mage plate is going to be marginally better every time

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

As long as you're not using the quilted armor line. Looks horrible on every class.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mustached Demon posted:

As long as you're not using the quilted armor line. Looks horrible on every class.

I use it because it makes the fashion gamers mad

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Mage plates are the happy medium for light armor. They require only 55 strength, have better defense than a breast plate or light plate, and max out at three sockets. The strength requirement can be met with Annihilus and Hellfire Torch.

Using an elite light armor is fine because the strength requirements aren't ridiculous. You have to look toward elite armor if you need four-socket armor. The only ones that are a trap are trellised armor and cuirass are heavier than a mage plate and wire fleece and great hauberk is heavier than an archon plate.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

leper khan posted:

I use it because it makes the fashion gamers mad

Ohhhh I am so mad! :mad:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm now 1/27th of my way to the Lem rune I need: Hell Countess dropped a Lum rune. But a unique wraith dropped a Spirit Shroud, which has +1 Skills and Cannot be Frozen, which is pretty nice. I also have three Keys of Terror now.

I do like all the utility a Trapsin has. Advance warning of enemies with forward sentry turrets, AoE blinding of enemies with Cloak of Shadows, and a nice emergency button in the form of Mind Blast to stun, knock back, or even convert enemies. I've started putting that skill at the ready when entering zone transitions.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
I’ve found two Ali Babas this season on my sorc so can’t wait to farm up 4 Lems for my future horker barb :shepicide:

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm now 1/27th of my way to the Lem rune I need: Hell Countess dropped a Lum rune. But a unique wraith dropped a Spirit Shroud, which has +1 Skills and Cannot be Frozen, which is pretty nice. I also have three Keys of Terror now.

I do like all the utility a Trapsin has. Advance warning of enemies with forward sentry turrets, AoE blinding of enemies with Cloak of Shadows, and a nice emergency button in the form of Mind Blast to stun, knock back, or even convert enemies. I've started putting that skill at the ready when entering zone transitions.

I’ve loved spirit shroud these last two ladders, but that’s because I’ve been lucky with +FHR belts so losing stealth hasn’t hurt as much and also I haven’t seen a ravenfrost drop since 2004 so lol

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Fyodorovich posted:

I’ve loved spirit shroud these last two ladders, but that’s because I’ve been lucky with +FHR belts so losing stealth hasn’t hurt as much and also I haven’t seen a ravenfrost drop since 2004 so lol

I actually didn't end up using it for particularly long since Naj's Light Plate dropped in the Flayer Jungle. (+1 All Skills, 45% damage taken goes to Mana, All Resistances +25, +65 to Life). Pretty good find, my resistances to all except poison are maxed in Hell. I also got a 26% MF Nagelring in LK.

Duriel wasn't as bad as I feared since I had just hit level 75 and finished maxing out Fire Blast - I started making use of it in the Tomb of Tal Rasha to snipe Greater Mummies and Vampires. My build at this point looks like...
20 - Fire Blast
20 - Wake of Fire
20 - Lightning Sentry
10 - Shock Web
3 - Death Sentry
1 to Charged Bolt Sentry and Wake of Inferno
1 to all Shadow Disciplines (except Venom)

With a theoretical 26 points left, I'm not entirely sure where to spend them. Get Death Sentry to 10 for a base explosion radius of 6.33 yards? Max Shock Web for LS synergy? Max Wake of Inferno for the WoF synergy? Or the dark horse, pump Shadow Master because people have said she can solo the game? The safest bet is probably to hold on to them and see what happens to my killing speed later on.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I actually didn't end up using it for particularly long since Naj's Light Plate dropped in the Flayer Jungle. (+1 All Skills, 45% damage taken goes to Mana, All Resistances +25, +65 to Life). Pretty good find, my resistances to all except poison are maxed in Hell. I also got a 26% MF Nagelring in LK.

Duriel wasn't as bad as I feared since I had just hit level 75 and finished maxing out Fire Blast - I started making use of it in the Tomb of Tal Rasha to snipe Greater Mummies and Vampires. My build at this point looks like...
20 - Fire Blast
20 - Wake of Fire
20 - Lightning Sentry
10 - Shock Web
3 - Death Sentry
1 to Charged Bolt Sentry and Wake of Inferno
1 to all Shadow Disciplines (except Venom)

With a theoretical 26 points left, I'm not entirely sure where to spend them. Get Death Sentry to 10 for a base explosion radius of 6.33 yards? Max Shock Web for LS synergy? Max Wake of Inferno for the WoF synergy? Or the dark horse, pump Shadow Master because people have said she can solo the game? The safest bet is probably to hold on to them and see what happens to my killing speed later on.

Real move is to make two mosaics and destroy the world.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
which of the myriad trade websites has the largest userbase? I know of Traderie, d2trader.net, and diablo2.io

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
https://www.d2jsp.org/ and it's not even close, but it's also the least new player friendly/intuitive.

I've previously done stuff with traderie on D2R with good luck, but not sure how it is now this far from the release rush.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It sucks, but D2jsp is the best option.

To get started, next time there’s a ladder reset you can spend the first day farming Countess for Sol runes. They move fast for 100fg+ each on day one cause everyone wants their Insight merc ASAP. A couple months later you’ll be able to buy an Enigma or an Infinity for 200fg.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

you HAVE to have forum gold to use this? You cant just trade items for runes or whatever?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mr. Grinch posted:

you HAVE to have forum gold to use this? You cant just trade items for runes or whatever?

Everything in d2jsp originates from RMT. You trade for forum gold or buy it.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

oh, gently caress that

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

i had the best success via traderie

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

yea ive been using traderie pretty well, it just is a little more sparse than I would like. Ive wound up doing a lot of trades with Asia realm because they have more players
the d2.io site is mostly euros from what I can tell

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

one thing that's useful with d2jsp is when you find something that's vanishingly rare like a high grade rare ring you can get yourself set up real nice for future ladders

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The wheels fall off traderie for trading rares in general, I've sold a couple pairs of boots for 5+ ber value this ladder that wouldn't get a look on traderie.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

crazy that d2jsp is still the standard when it's clearly dumb as hell

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Eh I've never spent any money on it and just sell what I find and it's nice just being able to buy whatever I'm missing without needing equivalent value in runes or whatever on hand

And its crazy active, especially during ladder reset

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mustached Demon posted:

Real move is to make two mosaics and destroy the world.

Amazingly enough, the Quill Rats in Normal Blood Moor did not see fit to drop the necessary Mal and Gul runes needed to make Mosaic. It seems like my only choice is to make a character which can beat Hell difficulty without excessive difficulty - and oh look, I just did. There's a reason I made this character first: Survivability with very low gear requirements so I can find stuff to gift other characters.

Hell Baal beaten at level 80, with some very modest gear. The best pieces I found were Mavina's Tenet for faster run/walk on a belt, and Naj's Light Plate for +1 Skills and +25 all Resistances. I still didn't find a 4-socket polearm to make Insight, but I proved it unnecessary.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I get that trading is part of the game, but I've just never done it. Probably why I haven't had an enigma in 20 years. That and not being able to go back to softcore.

Thanks again for clearing up the reasoning behind strength baselines, forgot enigma gave so much strength. Feeling less conflicted losing out on the vitality now.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Amazingly enough, the Quill Rats in Normal Blood Moor did not see fit to drop the necessary Mal and Gul runes needed to make Mosaic. It seems like my only choice is to make a character which can beat Hell difficulty without excessive difficulty - and oh look, I just did. There's a reason I made this character first: Survivability with very low gear requirements so I can find stuff to gift other characters.

Hell Baal beaten at level 80, with some very modest gear. The best pieces I found were Mavina's Tenet for faster run/walk on a belt, and Naj's Light Plate for +1 Skills and +25 all Resistances. I still didn't find a 4-socket polearm to make Insight, but I proved it unnecessary.

I meant switch after you beat hell. :krakentoot:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I can always make another Assassin. This one is my gear finder. I'm not respeccing her, I still need her as she is.

Incidentally, I've found a bunch of 4 os spear-type weapons, as well as a couple 5 and 6 os Dimensional Blades (which I think are the exceptional, not elite versions), and a 4os scepter. Are there good runewords for any of those? (I think some of them are specifically for polearms, NOT spears).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cant respec without the mosaic anyways, but once you have it, the entire game becomes your playground. Its insane

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

queeb posted:

Cant respec without the mosaic anyways, but once you have it, the entire game becomes your playground. Its insane

Yeah you can't overhype how good mosaic is. It's absolutely bonkers how it shreds all content.

Ubers, dclone, chaos, baal, cows... All of it explode in a hail of elemental damage. Even your video will cry out in pain.

Worth playing if you get the goods.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

oh is the mosaic the one that keeps causing my computer to lag when an assassin looks like a nova sorc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bone Prison is pretty funny because apparently Duriel doesn't know what to do with it and will just stand there while you perforate him with Bone Spears over and over

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

is that a console version of the game or something? the ui looks weird

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Grinch posted:

is that a console version of the game or something? the ui looks weird

it's the PS5 version, that I was playing through Remote Play - so I could take a screenshot with my PC, but the bottom glitched out so I had to cut it off

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Switch version owns since you can play Diablo anywhere with WiFi with shared progress.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Looks like I'm making a Bowazon next, I've gotten a bunch of unique bows, including today, Kuko Shakaku (164% ED) from a Hungry Dead in the terrorized Burial Grounds. I'll make an Immolation/Freezing Bowazon.

FEDIT: Oh, a +2 Raven Wolf Pelt which requires level 3? Guess I'm making a Raven Druid too.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
is there console trading on d2jsp or is it strictly a pc trading site?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zooted heh posted:

is there console trading on d2jsp or is it strictly a pc trading site?

There are subs setup for console but not sure how active they are vs PC.

D2R has cross progression though. You can play on console then switch over to PC for trading or inventory management.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Beware, even though you can play on the old graphics it has "on the fly" switching, so it has to be able to run the new ones. An older computer that can run d2 fine might not handle resurrected (source I have a lovely laptop and this happened to me).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Is there a way to change the default keybinds used by all profiles? Right now every time I make a new character I have to reset the controls.

EDIT: I finally got a 4 os Colossus Voulge to drop, first high-quality 4 os Polearm I've seen, I made Insight and my Merc can't wear it, he is 25 STR short. ...Well, if I get a Fal rune to drop I can make Lionheart, which should do it. EDIT 2: After a few Hell Countess runs, I'm one Lum short of being able to cube a Fal. I could cube one, but then I'd be missing the Lum I need instead.

EDIT 2: Do mercenaries benefit from the "Prevent Monster Heal" property on Blackhorn's Face? Because that dropped for me and that looks like a solid merc helm.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a way to change the default keybinds used by all profiles? Right now every time I make a new character I have to reset the controls.

set your binds once, save it as custom, and then when you make a new character you press load default and select that custom preset

EDIT 2: Do mercenaries benefit from the "Prevent Monster Heal" property on Blackhorn's Face? Because that dropped for me and that looks like a solid merc helm.
mercenaries do not apply PMH, no