Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cross posting from the games beat thread.

In Training posted:

WADs - Godless Night (8 levels for ZDoom, 2023). I don't oplay many zdoom wads but this was absolutely outstanding. a castlevania themed level set with 8 maps that intertwined - both in terms of level design (lots of compact, dense levels with great combat, excellent exploration and outstanding visual flair) and in the overall wad. It's got a central hub spooky castle with Portraits (it also uses portrait of ruin music so the inspiration is very obvious) that warp you to different levels, and in those levels you can also find secret potraits that may jump you to inaccessible parts of previous levels etc. I've never played a doom wad i think with better secrets. beyond just helpful goodies, there are 3 secret keys nestled away around the game, including some of them in full on secret levels. you can also backtrack to levels youve already cleared to go hunting - i had to to unlock the bonus true final level. its a wild blend of regular doom action and really gonzo mod design. its got a overhauled weapon roster, some of which have reloading. changes the pace of doom quite a bit, even a regular imp can suddenyl become an issue if you're up in its face and oops - last bullet of your clip. hugely expanded enemy roster too. not sure how many of these are just random dehacked classics or new designs, but i will say my absolute favorite addition is the Archvile that drops their flame on a spot and then you still have a second or so to move, while the attack lingers in that location for a few more seconds as a fire pillar. lets you add AVs in arenas where they would otherwise just be impossible assholes, and you drop lots of these guys in a fight and you can turn a whole zone into hot lava very quickly w/o proper crowd control. god it owned. uhh what else. good music selection. it unlocks a NG+ mode like Overboard with 8 new maps & palette swaps for the entire game which seems wild. i will check it out but i heard its a ball buster. oh and its got the Quake difficulty selection from Easy to Slaughter, with each diffculty name paired with a famous WAD so you have an idea of the danger ahead. I picked Ancient Aliens difficulty, but i probably could have bumped it up one. I didn't die too much. except on some really bullshit arenas.

if youre a doom purist it might just annoy you since its kind of a differnt game, a fps Search Action game in the doom engine. but if your name is Evil Eagle you should download this right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ive been wondering for a while if anyone had tried making one of Those in doom

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i updated my map and changed the flow of it to make it more open/exploratory. its no longer a linear chain of required weapons. i did not change encounters at all (except for the final one) bc i think theyre still good. but its a pretty different level now with the updated idea from kazvall.

https://mega.nz/file/hZ0HTDyD#txquzFQ5wLIQZlFi03qTRt1Ajh--UUcUX2OPElE95cc

let me know if anything is broken. i think i fixed all the pits you could fall in and fixed that teleport to a repeatable one so you cant get stuck in the temple. i also fixed that visual bug.

edit: ok i updated this again but its just a visual pass. at this point, if there's no bugs found from further testing, im considering MAP01 in the books. this is taking me a lot fuckin longer than my first map set lol. but i think the effort is paying off. at the rate im going ill be done with all 6 levels by 2029.

In Training fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 25, 2023

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

nice I'll be playing the update tomorrow

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yo! This map slaps hard. I didn't even know you included secrets, oops. Just the right mix of challenging but not impossible. A good amount of ammo so that you actually have to be restrained and melee when necessary. Both shotgun moments are cool, and all the battles that take place as the map expands have just enough cover lol. Oh and mowing down a bunch of mooks with the minigun is fun. I like that you get a weapon and then kill monsters that immediately supply you with more ammo. But, then the rocket ammo is to telegraph that a bigger fight is coming.

Great job.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kazvall posted:

Yo! This map slaps hard. I didn't even know you included secrets, oops. Just the right mix of challenging but not impossible. A good amount of ammo so that you actually have to be restrained and melee when necessary. Both shotgun moments are cool, and all the battles that take place as the map expands have just enough cover lol. Oh and mowing down a bunch of mooks with the minigun is fun. I like that you get a weapon and then kill monsters that immediately supply you with more ammo. But, then the rocket ammo is to telegraph that a bigger fight is coming.

Great job.

glad you liked it! thanks again for the idea of cracking it open a bit, i think it makes it a lot more fun to explore and added to the cave adventure vibe.

started work on MAP02 and been having fun making a more linear piece. its also got the gimmickiest encounter ive ever designed which is fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

here is a very rough version of map02

You can fall off the starting platform, it's a placeholder for how the level will actually begin in the final version

Every texture is placeholder. There is no visual work done at all, including lighting

Im sharing this to see if the layout + combat is actually fun before I go whole hog on making it look nice. The design is completed and i think it turned out pretty sick...but maybe nah??

https://mega.nz/file/0Icy3R5S#8fd1eMVskOaIe_stax9-NrKEmvfGDZcwoofnMCzdHoA

Spoiler this map has DOUBLE DIGIT archviles lol enjoy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Eh just noticed this I'll try to boot er up when I get a chance

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This looks like the old 6pack download. Please update!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You have to go to MAP02 slot, the first level should be the same

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Drink the second beer, got ittttt

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
just a few things to mark doom's 30th birthday going on:
eviternity 2
sigil 2
cacowards
probably other stuff i haven't noticed yet

i started playing the n64 map jam for the quake 2 remaster after i beat the q2n64 campaign and it's pretty cool

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
initially read that as "nba map jam"

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

IT I have exactly zero feedback to give on map02 except that it works, and I enjoyed it. The initial part was mildly annoying but I think that was intended because I felt immense satisfaction on those fuckers getting squashed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mycophobia posted:

hell, i'd play it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
happy birthday doom

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

Doomshakalaka

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mycophobia posted:

same lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kazvall posted:

IT I have exactly zero feedback to give on map02 except that it works, and I enjoyed it. The initial part was mildly annoying but I think that was intended because I felt immense satisfaction on those fuckers getting squashed.

sounds like good feedback to me. how about the cave portion, that section I had one good idea for the central fight but kinda left the sides totally half baked. Im gonna leave the exit hallway empty bc I think a cooldown is warranted after the most dramatic fight of the level, but the lead up seems kind of awkward to me still. how was that fight with the PE.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a lot of amazing looking poo poo in the cacowards this year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

map13 of eviternity 1 is an amazing map...blown away by this thing. tight 15-20 minute exploratory level with great traps, interesting weapon balance (you get basically everything minus bfg pretty early but are provided limited ammo for evberything so you have to be careful about when you take your shot and with whhat), beautiful scenery and a epic Stewboy midi. highly recommended.

eviternity 1 has been a blast so far. cant wati to see what shenanigans they get up to in a MBF21 set.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Eviternity is a dumb name.

----------------

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

you have no idea how happy i was

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't played any Doom wads for a while so I decided to play Evilternity before trying Evilternity II. Map 10 is such an amazing release after how precise and careful you have to be with map 09. Just tons of ammo and power weapons immediately available with lots of hitscanners to blow up while this kick rear end track plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMqYnpfmPCs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eviternity kicks rear end but I'm stalled out on MAP32 because it's so drat big.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

In Training posted:

map13 of eviternity 1 is an amazing map...blown away by this thing. tight 15-20 minute exploratory level with great traps, interesting weapon balance (you get basically everything minus bfg pretty early but are provided limited ammo for evberything so you have to be careful about when you take your shot and with whhat), beautiful scenery and a epic Stewboy midi. highly recommended.

eviternity 1 has been a blast so far. cant wati to see what shenanigans they get up to in a MBF21 set.

Everything in the snow tileset has been awesome so far (just made it to MAP13). MAP12 was absolutely brutal at the end with the Archvile spawning in right on top of a that Baron variant that has a rocket launcher while the room behind you fills with beefy guys. I had to put a save right in front of the switch to get through it lol.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 6, 2024

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

enjoying some eviternity as well. got to map15 and been having a blast. finding some of the secrets almost naturally and blasting through hordes on first attempts for the most part really shows how much thought was put into these maps to keep the flow going.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Been playing F.E.A.R. and it's sick. The combat encounters are very well designed and it still looks great for a nearly 20 year old game

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

FEAR rules

Love you Mr. Mapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6x3_xxDmWc&t=598s

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Fear kicks rear end

----------------

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Fear kicks rear end

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fear ftw. I never played any of the expansions or sequels but have always been curious about them. Fear 3 sounds insanely stupid lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Fear ftw. I never played any of the expansions or sequels but have always been curious about them. Fear 3 sounds insanely stupid lol

fear 2 is serviceable and fear 3 is so shockingly bad i lasted exactly 30 minutes before uninstalling it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i replay FEAR and the expansions every year or two and it never gets old. the AI is so good for a game from 2005. played the sequel and Reborn on my 360 last year and it was not as good but pretty fun. then i tried 3 and it felt like i was playing black ops. rip

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

John Romero is upgrading to Doom II finally.

https://twitter.com/PoweredbyidTech/status/1753148999836516778

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crumpets 2 just dropped.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/143340-cr2wad-6-boom-maps/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

cool, that was the only one i finished during doomtober and i thought the maps were great. i'll check the sequel out this week.