Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would have stayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Animal-Mother posted:

The only thing I remember from community college was that we had an English professor who wanted to do a whole unit on Hemingway, nine tenths of the students stopped coming to class, and then he got fired after telling us he wanted to re-enact his Vietnam War trauma upon us.

Yeah that's basically community college, carry on

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Asterisk and Obelisk

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Splendid posted:

Asterisk and Obelisk

I have news for you about Panoramix and Abraracourix and Agecononix and you know what let's just say all the characters who aren't historical or roman

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Splendid posted:

Asterisk and Obelisk

He's called asterix because he's the star of the comic

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sebmojo posted:

He's called asterix because he's the star of the comic

he's called that because his records are historical but marred by doping

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grassy Knowles posted:

Ahahahha

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grassy Knowles posted:

Actually it's because terms and conditions apply

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't remember if there was an Asterix character called Appendix, which seems like a missed opportunity.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Philippe posted:

I don't remember if there was an Asterix character called Appendix, which seems like a missed opportunity.

Well you can always add an Appendix

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have news for you about Panoramix and Abraracourix and Agecononix and you know what let's just say all the characters who aren't historical or roman

Those don't swap any sounds around :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Grassy Knowles posted:

Well you can always add an Appendix

That is very bad medicine, Getafix.

In reading Salman Rushdie of all things I learned that not only was Mariska (L&O: SVU) Hargitay's mom Jayne Mansfield, but that she was in the car accident that killed her mother at the tender age of 3.

And yes I'm aware of my horrible sentence structure and the way it can be read as if her mother was then 3, or that possibly Mariska was driving so no need to point that out. :eng99::doink:

e: Oh, and also that this isn't the "thing you just figured out" PYF

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes it is, it was renamed

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

EVE Online: just found out that the Mittani is no longer the leader of the Imperium, which also is no longer associated with Something Awful??

What the hell happened since I stopped playing two years ago, we won World War Bee just for this

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

EVE Online: just found out that the Mittani is no longer the leader of the Imperium, which also is no longer associated with Something Awful??

What the hell happened since I stopped playing two years ago, we won World War Bee just for this

The biggest tl;dr rather than directing you to legends/sagas cause this one is more gross than funny: Mittani was knowingly harboring and running cover for some of the worst types of people you could possibly share internet space with

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, drat. Shame he turned out to be an rear end in a top hat, dude was an excellent public speaker. Difficult to believe it ends like this.

At least World War Bee was one hell of a way to cap off nearly two decades of goon mayhem. Delta Sqad forever

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You know that Family Guy joke where Peter is Scrooge and Cratchit says "but sir, what of Tiny Tim?" and Peter says "bah, he and his ukulele will go wanting."

It's not a monkey cheese random joke. He's referencing the musician Tiny Tim of Tiptoe Through the Tulips fame. I have no idea why I had a sudden moment of clarity re: this throwaway joke from a show I haven't watched in years, but there you go.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phlegmish posted:

Well, drat. Shame he turned out to be an rear end in a top hat, dude was an excellent public speaker. Difficult to believe it ends like this.

At least World War Bee was one hell of a way to cap off nearly two decades of goon mayhem. Delta Sqad forever

just gonna put a line under that for my own sake, cause i really hate when it happens, as opposed to if

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Moon Monster posted:

Tiny Tim of Tiptoe Through the Tulips fame.

Tiny Tim got proto-canceled in the mid 80's for singing "This year, Santa Claus has... The AIDS!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Tiny Tim got proto-canceled in the mid 80's for singing "This year, Santa Claus has... The AIDS!"

My mom had him as a passenger when she was flight attendant and said he really creeped her out. I've never asked for details.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Animal-Mother posted:

drat, he would have been a legend here

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Moon Monster posted:

You know that Family Guy joke where Peter is Scrooge and Cratchit says "but sir, what of Tiny Tim?" and Peter says "bah, he and his ukulele will go wanting."

It's not a monkey cheese random joke. He's referencing the musician Tiny Tim of Tiptoe Through the Tulips fame. I have no idea why I had a sudden moment of clarity re: this throwaway joke from a show I haven't watched in years, but there you go.
Monkey cheese with depth. A monkey Parmesan, if you will.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mm, a simian asiago.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I looked up how tall Tiny Tim was and it's 6'1''/1.85m.

Kind of surprising to me - I'd think it's an above average height, but not enough to base a gimmick on.

Maybe all the other entertainers were shorter back then.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rollick posted:

I looked up how tall Tiny Tim was and it's 6'1''/1.85m.

Kind of surprising to me - I'd think it's an above average height, but not enough to base a gimmick on.

Maybe all the other entertainers were shorter back then.

It was an ironic nickname, started back when he was appearing on the same bill as a performer with dwarfism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Tim_(musician)#Life_and_career

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Tiny Tim was that certain special type of unhinged that felt it would make perfect sense to do a version of Silent Night where between the third & fourth verse there's a several-minute rant about religious hypocrisy including the phrase "fornicating with children"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPprRVvl2vQ

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was an ironic nickname, started back when he was appearing on the same bill as a performer with dwarfism

Yeah but the irony works better if he's actually super tall, so I just assumed he was bigger. Like how Little John from Robin Hood's gang is supposed to be 7 feet or so.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I think the most bizarre thing here is that he played Isle of Wight at the same festival with Hendrix, his set was right in between Joni Mitchell's and Miles Davis'.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
That a raspberry, in the sense of a farty noise, is cockney rhyming slang: Raspberry tart = fart

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiny Tim was a seinfeld.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

yaffle posted:

That a raspberry, in the sense of a farty noise, is cockney rhyming slang: Raspberry tart = fart

That is much more satisfying than my "the bubbles it sometimes makes look a little bit like a raspberry? I guess?" reasoning

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

That is much more satisfying than my "the bubbles it sometimes makes look a little bit like a raspberry? I guess?" reasoning

Geez how often are you looking at farts?

e: Don't answer that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The mouth one!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

The mouth one!

:doh:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If your farts are making visible bubbles,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

...then, congrats!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rollick posted:

Yeah but the irony works better if he's actually super tall, so I just assumed he was bigger. Like how Little John from Robin Hood's gang is supposed to be 7 feet or so.

To be fair Little John might have been like 6'1" but it was Robin Hood times.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
nah, medieval people were reasonably tall if they lived in the countryside, people didn't shrink until the early modern period when they started getting packed into cities and underfed on an industrial scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Tiny Tim’s first wife was 17, he 37, when they got married on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Divorced after having a kid a few years later, I always felt sorry for her. She was also featured in the first nudie mag I traded some toy cars for, so I guess she was hard up for money later too.